• The site will be down for scheduled maintenance this Friday the 24th at 2AM PST / 5AM EST / 9AM UTC while we perform a software update. We expect this process to take up to 5 hours. Thank you for your understanding and patience. New features will be included.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Youtube just subscribed me to people I unsubbed years ago, and unsubbed me from recent subs. Anyone else experienced this?

Oct 25, 2017
I got a weird notification saying "now youtube gaming and YouTube merged" or something like that on the APP, and I started to see people I unsubbed YEARS ago on my feed (and, lo and behold, it says I was subbed). Not only it did that, but also unsubbed me from 5 Youtubers (Contrapoints, Welyn, Comrade Cora, Philosophy Tube and Three Arrows).

Check your subs, everyone.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this just happened to me too. And yes, I used the Youtube Gaming app. Once.

edit: The iOS Youtube app said that the subscriptions were from the gaming app.

mnz

Oct 25, 2017
Happened to me as well, it showed a message about Youtube Gaming, but I've never used that.
I did know the two channels, though. Weird.

Oct 27, 2017
I've never used the Gaming app, and never even visited that part of the site that I'm aware of. I got the popup about the merge, but near as I can tell, none of my subs changed. I did a purge of old subs just the other day and they're still gone, and stuff I just recently subbed to are still there.

Apr 1, 2019
Germany
This happened to me as well and I may have opened the YT Gaming app like... once, ever? I never actively used it.

I got especially salty because suddenly and for no good reason there was a lot of clickbaity trash on my feed, some of which didn't even go away after I unsubbed again from the respective channels.

I haven't noticed any subs disappearing (only resubscriptions), but then again there is quite a number of channels I follow, some posting very infrequently, so I may have missed that.

It's so baffling to me how royally YouTube likes to screw up from time to time. In comparison, Twitter - even with the long list of problems attached to that site - never randomly made me re- or unfollow other accounts.

Oct 27, 2017
I saw the notice, but didn't connect the two had separate sub feeds. So I had Boogie unexpectedly show back up in my sub feed about "Cancel culture".

Oct 27, 2017
I've never used Youtube Gaming, but I did noticed a couple weeks ago that I was unsubbed from someone that I watched pretty regularly.

Oct 27, 2017
Was just kidding damn calm down. But you did at some point, boogiesubber
That was more of a general "who cares what the opinion of that alt-right pandering milkshake duck is" than something about you specifically, but your weird attack is duly noted.

Also, I don't think you were kidding? But whatever.

Oct 25, 2017
Never used the gaming app ever and suddenly I was resubbed to a bunch of channels. Just seems lame on their part.

Oct 27, 2017
Midwest, US
It wasn't much thankfully, but it had resubbed me to channel I have been unsubbed to for years. I didn't notice if it unsubbed me to anyone though.

Also realized after wondering why I wasn't getting as many upload notifications as I used to from people, that Youtube took it upon themselves, again, to turn off my notifications on a bunch of channels. Super annoying when Youtube decides for me what notifications I should be receiving from which channels, and then I have to go in and fix it, again.