• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Me: "What should I listen to for 12 hours."
*browsing*
>Inoffensive repetitive background noise to not really listen to
Me: "Perfect."
For some people having background music that doesn't demand your attention helps them focus and collect their thoughts. Silence lets your thought processes go uncontrolled, and other types of music can grab your attention instead of what you're working on.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For some people having background music that doesn't demand your attention helps them focus and collect their thoughts. Silence lets your thought processes go uncontrolled, and other types of music can grab your attention instead of what you're working on.
I swear, it's like people don't understand what "to study to" means.

OP
OP
Smoshow

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the lack of updates, was at work all day. Glad to see it's back up. I updated the threadmark

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm glad everything turned out okay. I listened to this channel while I overworked myself back in 2018. It was a tough time for me but the music and the cool folks in the chat brought some peace to me. I ended up downloading a bunch of the albums on Apple Music.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I first saw this mentioned on twitter by Hbomberguy but then scrolled down and saw The Quartering retweeting it too, and that did my brain quite the confuse.

Glad to see it's back up now those. I like these channels.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all remember this?

I feel like that was the proto-Lofi hip hop radio. After the jazz/rainy mood combo got big, you saw stuff like You Are Listening to LA pop up:

youarelistening.to

You are listening to New York

Ambient music and live NYPD police radio. What's not to like?

I linked the NY one since LA's is broken right now but it's the same concept.

Internet just wants y'all to relax.

[edit]

The jazz video was uploaded in 2015 but I believe this link from 9 years ago is what started it.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy this channel and a few others so I'm glad it's back. As someone who's editing a lot, these types of stations are great.

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is my go to. Lofi hiphop while cruising through scenic Japan? Hell yes. This has basically been my soul balm during these hellworld times.

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is as good of a place to ask:

Where can I buy the music that plays on these channels? I love Chilledcow, and I'd love to support them and the artists they promote. Is there a prefered venue where I could buy the music in flac format? I don't know the artists personally, so I'd be fine with buying compilations.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

Where can I buy the music that plays on these channels? I love Chilledcow, and I'd love to support them and the artists they promote. Is there a prefered venue where I could buy the music in flac format? I don't know the artists personally, so I'd be fine with buying compilations.
I don't know about Chilledcow but for the synth/darkwave, and chipyune channels I listen to from time to time I'll go back, look up the artist and track name, and try to hunt down thier Bandcamp link if they have one. You can get flac through Bandcamp.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about Chilledcow but for the synth/darkwave, and chipyune channels I listen to from time to time I'll go back, look up the artist and track name, and try to hunt down thier Bandcamp link if they have one. You can get flac through Bandcamp.
I think Bandcamp is generally the way to go for these artists. And, if they have another method, e.g. cassetes, cds, or vinyl, you can usually find that easily enough through their Bandcamp.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love the chilled cow channel. glad its back up. out of curiosity, I looked on twitch, there are some very similar channels on it for 24/7 streaming stations.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
That reason would probably be using their music without permission.
It's a channel that help artists/producers gain attention. You actually need to submit your music for them to play it, via soundcloud and spotify page. Unless someone pretended to be some artist.

Usually these artists are already available in all major streaming platforms and music marketplaces, all you need to do is search for them. The stream/mix will usually the you who the artists are through the video, if it's not a stream, it will also be indicated in the description.

Zaheer

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped listening to this when I found out ChilledCow was problematic. Can someone remind me of the details though?

Are you talking about that time they played a song called "Women" that said "Women are all liars?" That was a sample taken from an episode of Cowboy Bebop. It starts 18 seconds into this video.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Are you talking about that time they played a song called "Women" that said "Women are all liars?" That was a sample taken from an episode of Cowboy Bebop. It starts 18 seconds into this video.

Which was essentially some bullshit people freaked out about for no reason.

People throw around problematic too goddamn much.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Study Girl lives!

For those interested in the rise and appeal of the lofi scene, check this out.

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Finally gave this a listen after years of seeing the tumbnail and the recent controversy. I now get why it's referred to as smooth jazz for millennials, lol.