• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Virtua

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was watching a clip from aris's stream where he decided not to flush the new God of war, and it's a very early battle, less than an hour or so into the game.

But the very first suggested video is a video of the final boss fight with a thumbnail image of the final boss. This is dumb. YouTube should not suggest any content tagged as spoilers, ending, final boss, boss, end, etc etc unless the user specifically requested it.

This isn't the first time I've seen this happen either, so I wanted to urge people to be very careful when watching video content about new released games you care about spoilers on. It's even happened with bigger channels like giant bomb, and Gamespot videos or reviews. When a review video can be linked to a spoiler or ending video, that's a problem.

What this tells me is that these ending videos are very popular because they are being suggested as first recommended when you watch a very simple video of intro gameplay. Maybe there are poeple out there who don't have ps4 or can't buy the game and just want to watch the ending?
I scribbled over the thumbnail but decided not to embed the image anyway just Incase people don't want to see it.

https://imgur.com/a/IQxEdUx

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah i got hit with the final Boss thumbnail to. All i have to say to that is who ever put that video up and didnt decide to use a non spoilery thumbnail is a real pos

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
This was a big issue with odyssey. Tons of thumbnails with the finale right there. Samus returns also, which is an even more surprising thing.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Video Blocker extension for chrome is my every day spoiler shield.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never been spoiled like that but it reminds me how I have to use a sheet of paper on my monitor when firing up youtube to watch the Sony E3 conference the next morning. :p

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Oh my god seriously...

How hard is it to not look at YouTube?

Besides you are getting these suggestions because they are otherwise popular videos and you have watched a bunch of PS4 or GoW related content.

The smallest of spoilers.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Im still amazed at the fact I finished Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade 2 without seeing a single thing regarding late game stuff on YouTube. I would've flipped my shit if I knew anything regarding the ending of Xenoblade 2 before I got to see it myself.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
This is an issue for all media. Last year it was a mine field for Game of Thrones because of leaked episodes.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I've never had this issue with YouTube. I'm guessing it's because I don't watch gaming videos from people/outlets that aren't Easy Allies, IGN, Gamespot, Game Informer and Kinda Funny.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.resetera.com/threads/go...ing-about-new-game-spoilers-on-youtube.37302/

There's a long active thread about this.

Oh my god seriously...

How hard is it to not look at YouTube?

Many people (not me, I hate it) watch YouTube as one of their main media consumption methods. So I suppose they could do something as there are at times major spoilers in video titles and thumbnails. That's one of the main reasons I stay away for the site beyond watching embedded videos or something I googled like a tutorial.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's irksome.

I would just use YouTube incognito, avoiding GoW videos (doing so in incognito would amplify the issue), until you're able to play the game or a week passes.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I've never had this issue with YouTube. I'm guessing it's because I don't watch gaming videos from people/outlets that aren't Easy Allies, IGN, Gamespot, Game Informer and Kinda Funny.

It will recommed videos from the games you're watching on those channels. It will happen eventually.

I just installed the video blocker add on and disabled youtube notifications everywhere.

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
I was so happy because I didn't watch most any trailer for God of War so I didn't know near anything going in. I got far enough in the game to the point I would feel comfortable watching the Digital Foundry video on it. Literally off that one video, YT put 5 spoiler videos in my recommend videos this morning and I was so irritated. What makes it even worse is that when I want certain videos to be recommended to me, no matter how many I watch YT will never put anything related to it for me.
This isn't a new sentiment as the algorithm has been FUBAR for too long now but YT seriously needs to do something.

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I had the same experience as OP. Probably the same video that was suggested. I was watching DF's analysis for the game and went back to the homepage and saw the thumbnail and name of the video. Thanks YouTube.

Nov 2, 2017
Man, I knew the "SPOILER" everyone was going to be going on about was that silly thumbnail devoid of context. This is so damn cringe-worthy.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. One day I saw a clip illustrated with a scene which, I believe, was the last scene from The Last Guardian. I was furious. I haven't played the game yet, but my stupid brain fixated on that spoiler.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
Every time a hyped new game comes out, I have to go to YouTube, and start clicking on the "Not Interested" option for every video related in my list. I spam my home page by doing that several times until I stop seeing videos about the game.
Often I have to cover my eyes and focus on only every title containing the game's name.
I also stop watching any video related to the game until I finish it.
That's the only way I can reduce the chance of being spoiled by YouTube before I can finish it ob my own.
I wonder if there is an option somewhere to list content that I dont want to see, that would fix it instantly

Status
Not open for further replies.