• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN

J75

Sep 29, 2018
If you can still switch back to HD, what's the point? People will just switch and the bandwidth problem will continue.
Still a good practice though.

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
I can tell you the bandwidth needed for work isn't so demanding we need to limit the quality to SD.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I watch everything in 240-360p anyways so I've been doing my part!

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I can tell you the bandwidth needed for work isn't so demanding we need to limit the quality to SD.

I guess all the video meetings I've been participating while working from home that have been getting progressively slower and worse are imaginary then. And Apple/Netflix/Disney/YouTube all lowering quality are doing for imaginary reasons.

cool, OP, you're a really great person

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
www.cnn.com

YouTube to reduce video quality worldwide to ease strain on internet networks | CNN Business

Videos on YouTube will now default to standard definition for all users worldwide, a step down from the typical high definition that users normally see.

Is there a setting or web browser plugin to force everything back to highest quality?
giphy.gif

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Their thinking is that most people are just too lazy to change it back, or most likely won't notice. A lot of the people watching youtube do it while they start a video, put the phone in their pocket and let it run. Or listen to music.

If you're a user that actually watches videos, you'll just click on the setting to put back the video to the quality you want. There might be an addon for that, but really it's not a big hassle to change it back.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't mind at all, even if it were actually limiting people to 480p entirely (which doesn't appear to be the case, just changing the default option which is even less of a big deal, but even if that were what it did, I still wouldn't mind much). It's for a good reason, and when I'm watching stuff like YouTube and Twitch and the like, I usually watch at 480p anyway. Because like my Internet is okay and stuff, but when I'm watching that stuff these days, a lot of time I have like two things open. Like right now for instance, I'm watching like Keizaron on Twitch on my laptop's monitor and Spikevegeta on my other monitor. And like I said, while I have decent Internet and it's probably fine, nonetheless streaming both of those things in HD, especially at the same time everyone else in my family might also be using the Internet for various things... That might also be fine usually, but I don't like to push it at all, so I usually have everything in 480p anyway because it's just what I'm used to and I legitimately don't mind.

But even if that weren't the case, even if that weren't something I was already used it, it's for a good reason, so whatever. And unlike something like Netflix, YouTube is free to begin with (I mean, there is a paid YouTube service, but that has to do with stuff like ads and some other stuff, and nothing to do with quality or anything, IIRC), so yeah, definitely don't mind at all, in any way.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Man, clicking the gear to change the resolution back is gonna be really hard. But we're all in this together.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So nothing's gonna change for me, then, as my internet speeds are already too shit to stream 720p.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Yeah, this is a non issue at all. I was curious so I tested this by loading Youtube on a browser with no prior history just to be sure it prior settings aren't interfering and things are still loading in HD so i'm guessing this hasn't been implemented yet?

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I noticed this and immediately switch videos back to the highest resolution.

Edit: Ah shit guys! It would have helped if I actually read the reason why Youtube is defaulting videos to SD resolution. I'm fine with that and have no problem turning the resolution down further to 240p or 320p.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
You do realize your personal experience doesn't mirror everyone else's right? I mean lol, and asking for a plugin when it says in the article you can switch back if you want, it's just changing the default.

Status
Not open for further replies.