• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I thought immigration (?) would ask people about their return. I've seen people refused entry into Canada because of it. I feel like I'd flip if I ever saw one of these people while on vacation tho.

Aren't embassies suppose to help in these sort of situations?

lol

I think most of these have all their return tickets sorted. They just want to fund extra parts of their trips or some extra booze etc.

And to the people who ask why single white folks, the majority are indeed white. Or at least they are of Pan America/European nationality. You won't find people from other countries doing this nonsense (I have yet to bump into one).

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Might just be my prejudice but I generally assume that it's a lot of well off white people who do this because they want to "experience" poverty. Most other people probably get enough of it at home I would think?

Kind of like how the rich had the "Live like a refugee" thing at Davos. It's just another fun/fascinating thing to experience for them.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i'm petrified to leave the country without thousands of dollars to blow through. could never wrap my head around this thing

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
lol for real. Shut that shit right down, right quick. Fuck 'em.

This is the most inexplicable part. I'm wild guessing their biggest source of income would be... other tourists? I could totally see scenarios where tourists would rather give to poor white kids stranded in such an exotic place than the actually poor locals.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
One of my old friends from high school I keep in touch with does this. Her favorite bit of advice is "Always pack a sharpie. The really big ones. Don't worry about having gas money to get home. Just make a sign." Not in foreign countries like the video but I imagine if she ever went overseas she'd do the same.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well he was right. The idea that only white people are doing this is beyond stupid and pointing it out has nothing to do with insecurity. You just had an pointless image and have now wasted 3 minutes of my life with your insane mentality. What a waste of time and I realized that this will only derail the topic.

The reason it's demostrably more safe to do this as a white person is a result of white privilege. The fact that this doesn't occur to you is also white privilege.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Not all white people are beg-packers? I damn hope so.

I think what they were asking is "are all beg-packers white people?" or "is this only a problem when white people do it?". Again, the answer to both questions could very well be yes, but why shut down the discussion? I feel like the point of them being white is important to the lady who made the video, so we should probably discuss it.
The same white fragility/defensiveness was on display, is the point. The video explains itself.
Yes it is. Otherwise they'd just say "beg-packers" and their point would still stand.
It's not in any way lol.

Watch the video.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
See these people all the time in Hong Kong. Begging so that they can go be spiritual in Thailand.

It's annoying as hell.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i'm petrified to leave the country without thousands of dollars to blow through. could never wrap my head around this thing

I think it depends where you're traveling to. When I was in the US the first time at 17 my cards were blocked for 2 days, and I never felt unsafe or in danger. During a trip to Dubai I pretty much had the same and I had zero issues (even stores in malls would give me credit!).

My best friend worked 6 months in Mumbai and had armed guards stationed outside his office. You need to have a degree of respect for the place you're visiting. If you're going where people are well off and safe, you can take risks. If you travel to a place that's harsh for the people who live and die there you can't expect them to make sure you're better off than anyone else.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
It's just a pleonasm my dude. Not that deep.
Is it just a pleonasm though? Wouldn't that then imply that "yes, all bag-packers are white"? Most of 'em probably are, sure... but shouldn't you be addressing all of them rather than arbitrarily singling out a race, even if it probably covers most of them?

I'm guessing they're singling out white folk to make a point about white privilege, but the problem here isn't white privilege. The problem is beg-packing, white privilege merely shapes the demographic that engages in said practice. Or in other words, if white privilege weren't a thing and anybody could "safely" beg-pack, beg-packing would still be just as lame.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
But it's not though because it changes the meaning. "Travelling beg-packers" would be a pleonasm; this is not.
The vast majority of them are white.
The distinction between "white beg-packers" and "beg-packers" isn't a meaningful one, imo.

Additionally, as white people, they enjoy certain (you might even say "white") privileges other groups don't have, both in their own countries and abroad.
Singling them out is absolutely fair.

Is it just a pleonasm though? Wouldn't that then imply that "yes, all bag-packers are white"? Most of 'em probably are, sure... but shouldn't you be addressing all of them rather than arbitrarily singling out a race, even if it probably covers most of them?

I'm guessing they're singling out white folk to make a point about white privilege, but the problem here isn't white privilege. The problem is beg-packing, white privilege merely shapes the demographic that engages in said practice. Or in other words, if white privilege weren't a thing and anybody could "safely" beg-pack, beg-packing would still be just as lame.
See above.
Hardly arbitrary, I'm fairly certain the white majority of beg-packers is overwhelming. Kinda wish we had statistics..
Also, the hypothetical "no-privilege scenario" isn't relevant imo, privilege exists and contributes to this.

Nov 8, 2017

Exactly.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it is, no it is a big part, and what's the point of your headcanon where white privilege doesn't exist lol
Yall fragile as fuck

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
As an avid traveler, beg-packers are complete scum. I've seen people in ultra poor countries with signs begging for money propped up by a $1500 DSLR camera. Fuck them.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

No, the problem is what the video shows: the white privilege combined with the begpacking.

That's the topic they chose to focus on, because it literally is an issue.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never said white privilege doesn't exist. In fact I obviously think it does exist, if you actually even tried to comprehend my post.
The last sentence of your post I quoted was a big lot of nothing
Hey if racism didn't exist wouldn't it be swell ? Why can't we just pretend racism doesn't exist !

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I never said white privilege doesn't exist. In fact I obviously think it does exist, if you actually even tried to comprehend my post.
I think he just used the word headcanon a little differently. Clearly meant your hypothetical scenario where its not an issue.

Hey if racism didn't exist wouldn't it be swell ? Why can't we just pretend racism doesn't exist !

I think the issue was that "headcanon" is usually used for something you think exists, no?

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
The very notion that white privilege has nothing to do with this phenomenon makes me want to roll my eyes so hard.

My dudes, stop and actually listen to what we (the posters who live in countries rife with beg-packers) are trying to tell you.

If you can't do that, at least watch the video.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just a side note:
What's with some cultures and this absolutely baffling practice of using a different language term to describe foreigners when conversing in English?
It doesn't add anything, does it?
The only purpose I can think of is to increase the othering in a statement, which seems like a bad thing
Lol, I think you'll be ok.
Is "freedom not to be referred to as a foreigner when you're a foreigner" a form of white privilege?
Hah, the dictionary even adds "derogatory" to the definition for that word, so I guess it's a good example.
Meh, not always. Like anything, it can be used as a derogatory term or just to mean (white) foreigners. I use it all the time.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
But it's not though because it changes the meaning. "Travelling beg-packers" would be a pleonasm; this is not.

White people doing this because their privilege makes it easy, and their privilege blinding them to the issues of doing so in poorer countries is the phenomenon and it is happening.

Hence the video.

And reports from people IN THESE COUNTIES in this actual thread.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surprisingly haven't seen any of these people in Tokyo but spotted a few when I went to Hong Kong though didn't see any in Taipei.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Lol, I think you'll be ok.
Is "freedom not to be referred to as a foreigner when you're a foreigner" a form of white privilege?
Who mentioned white people? It's the same thing with the word "gaijin", which can refer to all ethnicities, not just white.
Also, that's precisely my issue. Why not use the word foreigner when speaking English? What's the purpose?

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Might just be my prejudice but I generally assume that it's a lot of well off white people who do this because they want to "experience" poverty. Most other people probably get enough of it at home I would think?

Kind of like how the rich had the "Live like a refugee" thing at Davos. It's just another fun/fascinating thing to experience for them.

It's just young people looking for adventure, and young people travel on the cheap because they don't have a lot of money.

It's not like backpackers looking for freebies are only a thing in asia. People do this in europe too.

Not that i don't get the critisism that going begging as a rich westerner is maybe not the best of looks.

Last edited:

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of Europeans and Americans that are not/do not look white. How are those factored into this/accounted for?.

What the fuck are you talking about? Of course there's plenty of Europeans and Americans that aren't white. We're talking about the white ones though, because they seem to do this much more frequently than people who aren't white.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

I would posit that it is White privilege that enables beg-packing. Non-Whites won't get the same allowance to busk/begpack before the police start bothering them or the locals start complaining. Look at how non-White foreigners are treated in these countries. e.g. Nigerians in India or Filipinos in Korea. I've seen people asking for monetary help near colaba causeway in Bombay. The White looking tourists get sympathy, the non-white tourists are assumed to be slinging drugs. As for non-westerners, just the barrier for entry to foreign countries is much higher. Pre-arrival visa applications/interviews, proof of funds and employment in origin country, pre-arranged travel arrangements, etc.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think he is referring to using a non-english word (while speaking english) for foreigner. Like some weebs do: "You don't understand anime you gajin"
Trump's putting kids in cages and all that. Can't get mad about one foreigner (myself) referring to another foreigner by the word used for foreigners in the country I'm discussing (myself) at the time.

Edit: and as a living embodiment of white privilege (myself) of course this is white privilege

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Trump's putting kids in cages and all that. Can't get mad about one foreigner (myself) referring to another foreigner by the word used for foreigners in the country I'm discussing (myself) at the time.

Edit: and as a living embodiment of white privilege (myself) of course this is white privilege

I am not saying you should get mad. He just thinks it is weird that an English speaking person speaking English is using a foreign language for the word foreigner.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not to rain on everbodys white bashing but i kind of feel like this has got a 70s hippy road trip angle. hitchhiking while living hand to mouth used to be a thing, at least in the states. but taking money that might otherwise go to local poor is unfortunate though.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
I think it takes a special amount of shamelessness to beg in just about any way. I don't think I could ever do it in terms of asking for money. If I did, it'd be like, can you spare any water? Do you know where I can get help? Begging is begging (for money) no matter if it's because of drugs or traveling it's always for something other than actual help. Because there are usually means to get actual help.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, at the end of the day, people will always want money for nothing, and if they keep doing it it's obviously successful enough. Why work when you can get money for free by sitting and looking sad? You can't fight greed, and anyone with the complete lack of self-awareness to do this sort of thing isn't going to be swayed by a YouTube video or a stern lecture. It's on locals (and, probably more often, other tourists) to stop supporting the idiots.

It's always more difficult when you're in places without any real social safety net, though, and begging is the only way to survive. So you can't make a blanket "don't give anybody money" statement... just use your best judgement and, if you're a white tourist, realize that the "fellow tourist" beggar is probably the one least deserving of the charity. A lot of people probably put on blinders for the suffering of locals.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
The replies in this post...woah. White fragility on override. Besides the OBVIOUS historical legacy of colonialism and how this is something that's most easily done by someone who's caucasian and caucasian looking (because trust me, as a black dude when I travel my return ticket is most definitely checked because the West made sure those stereotypes are pushed worldwide), you also have the bigger idea that it's an easier sell being a 'poor' white person than a 'poor' minority to actually make this a successful grift.

Plus just the fact that a bunch of these cities are pretty homogenic so it's relatively easy to point out the racial makeup of most of the perpetrators.

Id go into the fact that this is pretty much the same textbook as old school colonialism where the world's superpowers at the time (surprise, European countries) would take advantage of the natives assumption that they were harmless and possibly might have been in need before massacring em, but I don't wanna cause any more tears.

But hey, lets avoid the poor grandmother making $50 bucks a month giving one of em in a moment of pity to a kid with a trust fund waiting for em in the states, and talk about how those darkie youtubers unfairly stereotyped these con men and women.

Last edited:

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
I am not saying you should get mad. He just thinks it is weird that an English speaking person speaking English is using a foreign language for the word foreigner.
It's not that weird. English as a language is littered with words pilfered from other languages to describe things it already had perfectly adequate words for.

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's not that weird. English as a language is littered with words pilfered from other languages to describe things it already had perfectly adequate words for.

So it is not weird to use to word 'Gaijin' for foreigner when speaking in English (as an English speaker)

Ok.

All according to keikaku I guess

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it is not weird to use to word 'Gaijin' for foreigner when speaking in English (as an English speaker)

Ok.

All according to keikaku I guess

I agree with you that it's weird, but the people who use "gaijin" or "farang" and other terms don't usually use it in a hostile way. Even if they do, it's usually easy to read when it is being used in a negative way and isn't any worse than "stupid foreigner", so there's no real reason to worry about it. Zackie is just using that term because he likes it I suppose 🤷🏻‍♂️

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
But White privilege is a thing, and white begpackers exploit this, hence the video.

Why so riled?

I know that tone can be hard to discern when it comes to forum posts, but trust me... I'm definitely not riled about this topic. In fact I'm nice and relaxed, sipping on some tea after getting off of an easy night's work. The only time I've gotten riled in this thread is when I felt someone was blatantly not reading what I actually wrote, which I think is something that anyone could relate to.

I would posit that it is White privilege that enables beg-packing. Non-Whites won't get the same allowance to busk/begpack before the police start bothering them or the locals start complaining. Look at how non-White foreigners are treated in these countries. e.g. Nigerians in India or Filipinos in Korea. I've seen people asking for monetary help near colaba causeway in Bombay. The White looking tourists get sympathy, the non-white tourists are assumed to be slinging drugs. As for non-westerners, just the barrier for entry to foreign countries is much higher. Pre-arrival visa applications/interviews, proof of funds and employment in origin country, pre-arranged travel arrangements, etc.

White privilege absolutely enables beg-packing. But "white privilege" is white people being treated fairly/generously whilst minorities get unfair treatment, so trying to address white privilege in conjunction with beg-packing is a bit odd... Are we trying to argue white people shouldn't be treated fairly/nicely? Are we trying to argue that it's unfair that minorities can't beg-pack? Because if we're just trying to argue that beg-packing is shitty, white privilege isn't really making it any shittier.

I think he just used the word headcanon a little differently. Clearly meant your hypothetical scenario where its not an issue.

Fair enough. For the record, the gist of my hypothetical no-white-privilege scenario is better expressed in my response to whatsinaname, but I'll summarize with this rhetorical question: We're trying to argue that beg-packing is shitty, not that minorities should be able to beg-pack too... right?

My point wasn't "Hey if racism didn't exist wouldn't it be swell?", my point was that the video's point isn't "Hey if racism didn't exist wouldn't it be swell [if minorities could beg-pack too]?". The issue with beg-packing isn't that only whites can do it safely/comfortably, it's that anybody does it at all.

Last edited: