• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
To everyone saying "surely not only white people", how exactly do you think Black or Indian or people of other ethnicities doing this would get any money from the local population in these countries...? The cops would be on them in like a second.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I meet these fools every other week. They've infested Malaysia and it drives me crazy when I see them beg from locals.

Malaysians aren't rich. Most of us are barely surviving.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I've seen any of these people here in Bangkok, but I don't hang out at Khao San Road or any other farang haunts. Maybe Vern has seen them?

I can't see the video either but there are usually a few at victory monument in bkk. I don't go to khaosan either you goofball. Also pretty easy to spot in Hk usually in causeway bay somewhere or TST. Probably have seen them in other countries but I can't remember. They are all an annoying blur.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
When I was in Peru I saw a few groups of different nationalities doing this. But the ones that stood out were a group of girls from Spain. Nice bags and clothes. Busking on the street with a sign talking about how they had run out of money etc. And got to talking and flirting with me and my brother to try and get our help etc. Needless to say I didn't have all that much sympathy.
Programs like "Pekín Express" didn't helped much. I remember some people addicted to them and how wonderful would be to live an "adventure" like that without money on those countries. As if it was a super-normal thing to do ¬¬

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
https://qz.com/quartzy/1192690/begpackers-the-trend-of-westerners-traveling-without-money/

Add this to your post op, I think this should give ya some better context.

Bottom line

This isn't like refugee or coming for work, this is asking for special treatment because you need to see the world or some shits
I'm a little confused by this, surely if you're only consuming food/paying for shelter/ buying whatever, you're still paying into the economy of the place you're in.
Edit: Wait, no, I get it now. I thought this thread was more in reference to people who travel around using money from "home" (parents, donations from friends, etc). To be honest some people in this thread seem to be talking about that, and I don't see the issue there. If you're gonna soak up all the free money on your home turf or from the bank of mom and dad, and then fuck off to another country and splash it all there, go ahead.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Most asians (like myself) will know about this because this is prevalent in asia...i.e. young white millenials travel to asia (Thailand, Malaysia, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore) with barely any money and attempts to beg in the host country just to fund their travelling budget.

Suffice to say....most asians (like myself) are not amused.

I like (myself) this post.

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reminds me a lot of the trust fund crust punks I'd see begging all over the city.
Yup, this is what first came to mind. I don't think they are such a problem if they respect property, clean up their trash and after their dog and do something other than beg. At least play some music. There are plenty all over lower Manhattan in the summer and in brooklyn who just sit outside a busy Starbucks and beg with their cardboard sign.

Lucky241

Oct 31, 2017
the shores of Carcosa
Feel like this has been a thing since at least the mid 2000's. I've run into a few back home at bars and parties when they comeback to brag about all the places they went on a low or no budget. Usually involved staying at hostels. And all of them were middle or upper middle class.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Well he was right. The idea that only white people are doing this is beyond stupid and pointing it out has nothing to do with insecurity. You just had an pointless image and have now wasted 3 minutes of my life with your insane mentality. What a waste of time and I realized that this will only derail the topic.
I think he's saying that it might not be just white people doing this, rather than not all white people. But I mean, the latter is an obvious. Why get so offended?

OT personal opinion but I can't stand these "I'm going travelling to find myself" which is probably in the same vein as these people.
Video was pretty funny but.....

lmao at this gaslighting.

I'm not sure what you guys are on about so I'm just going to reiterate the point that was made in the video:

The reason the Video talks about white tourists and "singles them out" begging on the streets of poorer countries to finance their travels is because the people who made this video - the people who actually live in one of these countries affected by this - have experienced white tourists begging on the streets to finance their travels.

The video talks about privilige and makes a point of explaining how white privilege especially is directly connected to this issue. The reason they are talking about white people is because they experienced white people doing this. The reason they are talking about white people is because, overwhelmingly, it's white people doing this. It's really rather simple.

Yup, this is what first came to mind. I don't think they are such a problem if they respect property, clean up their trash and after their dog and do something other than beg. At least play some music. There are plenty all over lower Manhattan in the summer and in brooklyn who just sit outside a busy Starbucks and beg with their cardboard sign.

I think there is an important distinction here to be made: Begging in Manhattan as a tourist is a very different thing from doing the same in India, as by the very nature of you being able to travel and fly around the world you are already way, way more wealthy than a huge proportion of the people you are begging for money. The flight to India alone would have cost more than an average worker in India makes in 6 months.

Last edited:

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
What happened to working in places you visit to fund your onward travels? A few friends who did backpacking years ago after uni made sure the first they they did after they went somewhere new was find a job, didn't matter what it was.

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting.

When I landed in Berlin, the immigration guy never asked to see a return ticket. I also ran into backpackers with zero return ticket because they weren't sure when they would return.

I think it depends on your country of origin. If you're coming from a poorer country, then I think they're more likely to flag you as an immigration risk.

But since I was coming from the USA, maybe they didn't bother.

Yeah, it depends on what kind of passport you have as far as I know. It might be race related too just haven't seen it myself. For example flying to Taiwan if you're flying with a Thai passport you need to show a return ticket while I never had to show one myself. And I recently flew to japan without a return ticket as well and had no problems.

This might explain why it's mostly white people (Though with long haul flights a return flight can be cheaper anyway). It's so baffling that people want to do this though especially in countries where even just 1000 euro will go a looooong way if you're cheap. Just save up a bit at home and then fly? Well, I guess if it works people will still do it. I'm guessing it's very likely most of them do have that 1000 euro they just want it to last even longer.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Honestly don't give a crap if it's done in wealthy countries. Like, if you're in my little Austria doing this, I'm not gonna call you an asshole.
Now, you won't get a cent from me (though I wouldn't mind bringing you some of whatever lunch I cook), but it's obvious who and what these people are. It's not like they're posing as homeless.
My view may be tainted, because there is this program where you get loads of food about to expire for free, so I'm not worried about anyone starving or anything.

The people doing this in places where people are probably poorer than they are are absolutely assholes though, and it doesn't matter if they are ignorant or just don't care.

Edit: and its absolutely an overwhelmingly white thing

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's so baffling that people want to do this though especially in countries where even just 1000 euro will go a looooong way if you're cheap. Just save up a bit at home and then fly? Well, I guess if it works people will still do it. I'm guessing it's very likely most of them do have that 1000 euro they just want it to last even longer.

Poverty tourism without the risks or negative connotations going back home with them.

People want the experience of being poor without actually being poor.

There's ways to be an ethical tourist and give $ to the local economy, and this is like the exact opposite.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Like Clockwork
cNxMFMW.png
cNxMFMW.png

The fragility on display across mere 2 pages is just baffling.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
White privilege might be a big factor in the demographic of these beg-packers since I'd imagine minorities would feel significantly less safe engaging in such a practice, but I still don't see why the video feels it's necessary to explicitly direct it at "white" ones (I'd imagine women would also feel less safe.. why isn't it specifically directed at white male beg-packers?). Even if literally every single beg-packer was white, it would still be sufficient to just call them out as "beg-packers" rather than "white beg-packers"... they'll know who they are. And if they aren't all white, well then you're not addressing everybody who needs to be addressed. The problem is the beg-packing, not being white while doing so.

As for the practice of beg-packing... It's kinda scummy, especially if they could afford to travel normally and/or engaging in this practice in poorer regions. But I'm not 100% against it if they can't afford to travel and are doing it in relatively wealthy areas.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29939

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The fragility on display across mere 2 pages is just baffling.

These shitty go to images and one off replies hoping to shut down discussion and paint people as "privileged snowflakes" in one go can fuck off.

Thread title is practically begging for someone to wonder why its being so specific, yet what you DO have like clockwork is people who seem to be begging for someone to say something as an excuse for the dismissive/woke hashtag shame train to start rolling.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I see Trustifarians have gone international.

This is like a sad rendition of Europe's Third Sons being anointed and then sent off to the darkest hearts of the uncivilized world to bring the joy of White Capitalist Jesus to the masses, while exploiting the people whose land they're squatting on

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Facebook friend of mine often posts updates on begpackers he sees on the streets of Seoul. Meanwhile I've never seen any in Japan. Maybe the police in Korea just don't give a shit whereas the Japanese ones are itching for something to do (so long as it doesn't involve going after corruption)

I saw a few in Osaka when I last visited. Set up on a random sidewalk. They had Polaroid pictures of their travels for sale for ¥2000 each and also had a hat sitting there with a "please donate towards our dream trip!" sign. They tried to say something to me in French and I just rolled my eyes and kept walking.

Thread title is practically begging for someone to wonder why its being so specific.

No need to wonder if you watch the video. Maybe the people who would wonder "why white people?" could even read an article or two to inform themselves of the issue.

It's specifically about white people because white people seem do this thing more frequently. Lots of Europeans and Americans it seems.

Last edited:

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I had a recommended video show up on youtube a couple of days ago "day 1 in Dubai without money" or something like that. Thought it was weird.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, those are inconsiderate assholes. That German guy is fucking malicious and on another level though.

Oct 28, 2017
I know some people who traveled for a year without money, but they stayed in Europe and did it as some kind of anarchist project, they actually continued the no-money-thing for a few years back home and have been involved in all sorts of alternative political projects. I can respect that (even though you could still say they didn't contribute to the economy of countries they visited)

But begging in countries where you're a lot richer than most of the population just to fund your travels is really shitty

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get why people give these morons anything to begin with.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
That's why I avoid those places. I'd be tempted to spit on these fools if I saw them. They're an embarrassment, like most farang here.
Just a side note:
What's with some cultures and this absolutely baffling practice of using a different language term to describe foreigners when conversing in English?
It doesn't add anything, does it?
The only purpose I can think of is to increase the othering in a statement, which seems like a bad thing

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just a side note:
What's with some cultures and this absolutely baffling practice of using a different language term to describe foreigners when conversing in English?
The only purpose I can think of is to increase the othering in a statement, which seems like a bad thing

Ugh, this is such a gaijin thing to say.

But srs, everyone I met in Thailand over Christmas referred to the Europeans and Aussies as Farang, including many of the Europeans and Aussies themselves. It was weird. Never heard it said in a manner where I thought they were being impolite though.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
These people pop up in Antigua, Guatemala, right alongside actual indigenous people selling their goods as a livelihood.

The worst.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just a side note:
Gringo confirmed.

Nov 8, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Driving thread derailment; previous infractions
White privilege might be a big factor in the demographic of these beg-packers since I'd imagine minorities would feel significantly less safe engaging in such a practice, but I still don't see why the video feels it's necessary to explicitly direct it at "white" ones (I'd imagine women would also feel less safe.. why isn't it specifically directed at white male beg-packers?). Even if literally every single beg-packer was white, it would still be sufficient to just call them out as "beg-packers" rather than "white beg-packers"... they'll know who they are. And if they aren't all white, well then you're not addressing everybody who needs to be addressed. The problem is the beg-packing, not being white while doing so.

As for the practice of beg-packing... It's kinda scummy, especially if they could afford to travel normally and/or engaging in this practice in poorer regions. But I'm not 100% against it if they can't afford to travel and are doing it in relatively wealthy areas.
This post is 100% correct. The implication of singling out white beg-packers is that you think it's OK if non-white people do it.

That's not always a problem. I know some Dutch guys who are actually teaching English in Indonesian (private) schools.
As far as English as a second language goes, the Dutch are about as close to native-English as it gets, and not at all representative of the typical level of English understood by the average non-native speaker.

Deleted member 29939

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No need to wonder if you watch the video. Maybe the people who would wonder "why white people?" could even read an article or two to inform themselves of the issue.

I know why the video is titled specifically that way. Clicks

It's specifically about white people because white people seem do this thing more frequently. Lots of Europeans and Americans it seems.

There are plenty of Europeans and Americans that are not/do not look white. How are those factored into this/accounted for?
Its aimed at the perceived most privileged for greater effect, which is whatever, but doesnt excuse the dumb conversation stopping hashtags that start flying here at the drop of a hat.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
"go to image" is pulled from the video, way to expose your own ass with a post LMAO

I don't have any qualms with the allegation, I'm just curious. Is this something only white people do? Is this something that is only problematic when it's done by white people? If you name your video "Dear white beg-packers" you're implying non-white beg-packers either don't exist or are fine, which again, may be but... context?

Would a rich black kid from Atlanta beg-packing be received differently? Is he more or less of an asshole? Is the problem that people looking at him in those poor countries wouldn't feel the same as they do when they see a white guy doing it (for obvious historical reasons)?

I do know a couple of (white) beg-packers and yes, they're your stereotypical european white leftist who leave thinking they can go do "so much good" by visiting countries and learning cultures and spreading messages... white saviour complex and all that. If the phenomenon is actually rooted in priviledge (it may as well be, as I feel a big part of it is the idea you'll be safe with no money traveling across countries where people starve and sleep in the cold), then it may very well be a "white people" thing. But the question remains.

Essentially they were saying "not all white people"

Not all white people are beg-packers? I damn hope so.

I think what they were asking is "are all beg-packers white people?" or "is this only a problem when white people do it?". Again, the answer to both questions could very well be yes, but why shut down the discussion? I feel like the point of them being white is important to the lady who made the video, so we should probably discuss it.