• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently this has been planned for a while now for European users.

What a joke

In a blog post announcing the upcoming change, YouTube said the age-verification policy is in compliance with the European Union's Audiovisual Media Services Directive. That means some users in the region must submit proof of age when they try to watch videos with age limitations in cases where YouTube is unable to confirm that they're of the right age. These requirements include a valid ID or credit card indicating that the user is above the age of 18.

www.neowin.net

YouTube will launch a new age-verification requirement for some European users

YouTube will require some users in Europe to verify their age before watching age-restricted videos. The upcoming change will take effect in the next few months in line with the region's regulations.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah i've noticed this... i'm not going to send them my id. Not to Google of all places.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
fb0.jpg

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
The ID thing is crazy to me, on the other hand I've already bought movies to watch on youtube via google play

Oct 25, 2017
I got that pop-up and was super confused. Not planning on doing that, nope.

And why would Google be the only one to ask for it? So strange.

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
I got hit by this a few days ago when I tried looking at a video on the Youtube channel for Hitman.
I have paid for things on Youtube before but I guess the credit card check doesn't count retroactively because it still wanted proof so I just didn't watch the video instead.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You can do a €0.00 charge using a debit or credit card to verify. No ID is needed. Considering in many countries teens get debit cards early it isn't exactly fool proof as far as an age check goes.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
If you use your ID you can block everything except for name and date of birth and it'll go through. They don't need your photo or social security number or anything like that. I just verified myself with my ID (since I don't have a CC) by blocking literally everything but name and date.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
You can do a €0.00 charge using a debit or credit card to verify. No ID is needed. Considering in many countries teens get debit cards early it isn't exactly fool proof as far as an age check goes.
I'm fairly sure they do checks to make sure the info you're giving them matches the info on the card.

Age will be one of them for age restricted stuff.

It's Not as simple as just "they've got a bank card, give them everything"

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Yeah, this is a disturbing trend. Blizzard requested the same thing to delete an account with no games purchased.

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm actually okay with this. The more I think about it, the more I believe that anonymity is one of the biggest problems with the internet.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
that would have screwed me when I was 12 when I made my YouTube account. Couldn't wait another 2 weeks to turn 13 so I just faked it. Google to this day still thinks my birthday is in July

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I would absolutely make a fake ID with photoshop and see if it's accepted. You want help OP? I could just switch some numbers around.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly sure they do checks to make sure the info you're giving them matches the info on the card.

Age will be one of them for age restricted stuff.

It's Not as simple as just "they've got a bank card, give them everything"
It is the extent of this age check they have implemented. If you have a debit card you can pass the check regardless of age. I said nothing about giving falsified information.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It seems weird to me that requiring an ID is such a crazy concept when we have credit cards saved in Google to where we can buy things with a single button press. What do you think will be compromised that hasn't already been vulnerable for 10 years? Credit card fraud is billions of dollars every year and those age verification things sites had before were a joke. Click this box if you are 18 or over...

This is like the paranoid people on Facebook that sell their car and use their finger to block the license plate in the listing photo. Your info is already out there that could be compromised by probably a dozen websites already.

Wari Oman

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 2, 2021
Since Google already has all my data and a general marketing profile to sell to advertisers..

I'm pretty sure they already know my age lol

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure there are better ways to implement this, but this is the only method they get more data from you.

Zombie

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I got a popup for this a couple weeks back on the iOS app, quit out of it at the time and haven't seen it again since.

Jager

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Got this today while trying to watch the new Suicide Squad trailer.

Not a chance in hell they're getting an ID or CC info off me:

unknown.png

Ended up watching the trailer on mobile casting it to my TV.

Lcs

Aug 9, 2018

It doesn't have to be fool proof. They only have to be able to prove they did what could be reasonably expected of them to comply with the regulation.