• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 9, 2018

Remove suggestions from channels you don't want to watch: Although we try our best to suggest videos you'll enjoy, we don't always get it right, so we are giving you more controls for when we don't. We've now made it simple for you to tell us to stop suggesting videos from a particular channel.

Learn more about why a video may be suggested to you: Finally, sometimes, we recommend videos from channels you haven't seen before based on what other viewers with similar interests have liked and watched in the past. When we're suggesting videos based on this, you'll now see more information underneath the video in a small box.

It's a start, and I know some people here were asking about it. May be better for known gaming spoiler channels.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I thought you could already do this....have I been wasting my time? You click Not Interested then when it says "Why" you say "Not interested in this channel"

Oct 28, 2017
I wish I could remove particular sources from my Flipboard! I dont need stories from rags like the Washington Examiner or RealClearPolitics.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
is this only for the app or desktop too?

Ah i see, its on desktop too, Was looking for the menu "not interested" and found it. Never knew about this, goddamn

Jun 26, 2018
Fucking A, I've lost count of how many times I've marked a PewDiePie or Jontron video as "not interested", maybe now I can be completely rid of them.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank goodness. Finally I can cleanse myself of filth like Unbox Therapy and the millions of accounts that clip JRE.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't appear for me yet (I'm on a desktop).

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Will just keep using my browser extension that removes up next/recommended videos entirely. YouTube is a garbage platform that's only tolerable when you can tunnel vision on your subscribed content.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Someone needs to create a list of all the craptastic YouTubers who are worth "blocking" from your recommendations.

I often click on the corner of suggested videos and press remove and then click the option that says "I do not want to see videos from X channel" but it would be great if I could just enter in names of content creators I never want to see.

Me: Oh cool a video on AOC talking about a progressive policy
[one video later]
YouTube: Do you want to see "Stupid AOC DESTROYED by Alt-Right Grifter #3523"?

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
I've been asking for channel blocking for years, so glad this is now a feature. No more alt-right bullshit anytime i watch something remotely political.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I've been asking for channel blocking for years, so glad this is now a feature. No more alt-right bullshit anytime i watch something remotely political.

Amen. I get so much of that garbage just cuz i watched videos that include video games and politics.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Someone needs to create a list of all the craptastic YouTubers who are worth "blocking" from your recommendations.

I often click on the corner of suggested videos and press remove and then click the option that says "I do not want to see videos from X channel" but it would be great if I could just enter in names of content creators I never want to see.

[one video later]
Amazing how you are always 10 seconds away from these videos. You think the algorithm would prop up "both sides" videos

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I feel as though I have been able to remove channels I am not interested in for at least a month now, but the interface to do so looked different than what was shown in the blog.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
I thought you could already do this....have I been wasting my time? You click Not Interested then when it says "Why" you say "Not interested in this channel"
It suppresses it to some extent, but I've hit that button on JonTron videos a good four or five times now and they always come back.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
That's nice. Sometimes I'll play a random YouTuber that I like, only for the autoplay feature to choose some moron screaming into his mic as the next video.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a good enough blocker imo

Remove suggestions from channels you don't want to watch: Although we try our best to suggest videos you'll enjoy, we don't always get it right, so we are giving you more controls for when we don't. We've now made it simple for you to tell us to stop suggesting videos from a particular channel. Just tap the three-dot menu next to a video on the homepage or Up Next, then "Don't recommend channel." After that, you should no longer see videos from that channel suggested to you on YouTube. You may still be able to find them if you subscribe, search for them, or visit the channel page or Trending tab. This new feature is available globally on the YouTube app for Android and iOS today, and will be available on desktop soon.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

[one video later]

Hbomberguy made a Chrome extension that did this. Even had a list of which YouTubers.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thank goodness. Hopefully parents will put this to use so their kids don't get brainwashed.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing how you are always 10 seconds away from these videos. You think the algorithm would prop up "both sides" videos
Somehow the algorithm always swings to one end of the extreme end and gets stuck there. Somehow.

Hbomberguy made a Chrome extension that did this. Even had a list of which YouTubers.
Thanks for letting me know. I'll look it up soon and share it with the thread if I can find it.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow the algorithm always swings to one end of the extreme end and gets stuck there. Somehow.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll look it up soon and share it with the thread if I can find it.

It appears to be gone from the Chrome Web Store. It's still up for Firefox though.

Here's the list of channels in case the other goes down too:

Channels blocked include: maddox (from the year 2004), Aurini, thunderf00t, SargonofAkkad (All 4 of his channels), americassurvival, MensBusinessAsocEduc, RockingMrE, jordanowen42
stefbot, TheAmazingAtheist, MrRepzion, The Atheist Gamer, Mister Metokur, theignoredgender, weevlos, teal deer/tl;dr, The Alex Jones Channel, AlphaOmegaSin, MundaneMatt, PragerUniversity, realmattforney, NateTalksToYou, UMass College Republicans, hunteravallone, Chris Ray Gun, Rekt Feminist Videos, TokyoAtomic, Undoomed, Shoe0nHead, armouredskeptic, Harmful Opinions, Atheism is Unstoppable, Angry Foreigner, CultOfDusty, CringePlanet, Compilation Central, 50 Shades, Lauren Southern, Ben Sharpio, Computing Forever, SJWCentral, Suit Yourself, Mauritian Struggle, Antifeminist Australia, Bearing, bane666au

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
lol I installed a third-party plug-in to do this years ago

Google always on the cutting edge

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Verlisify videos can hopefully stop shitting up my recommended videos now. I blocked him years ago and yet his videos would pop up all over my screen. I hated that shit.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
It appears to be gone from the Chrome Web Store. It's still up for Firefox though.

Here's the list of channels in case the other goes down too:

Channels blocked include: maddox (from the year 2004), Aurini, thunderf00t, SargonofAkkad (All 4 of his channels), americassurvival, MensBusinessAsocEduc, RockingMrE, jordanowen42
stefbot, TheAmazingAtheist, MrRepzion, The Atheist Gamer, Mister Metokur, theignoredgender, weevlos, teal deer/tl;dr, The Alex Jones Channel, AlphaOmegaSin, MundaneMatt, PragerUniversity, realmattforney, NateTalksToYou, UMass College Republicans, hunteravallone, Chris Ray Gun, Rekt Feminist Videos, TokyoAtomic, Undoomed, Shoe0nHead, armouredskeptic, Harmful Opinions, Atheism is Unstoppable, Angry Foreigner, CultOfDusty, CringePlanet, Compilation Central, 50 Shades, Lauren Southern, Ben Sharpio, Computing Forever, SJWCentral, Suit Yourself, Mauritian Struggle, Antifeminist Australia, Bearing, bane666au

CultofDusty I just came across recently and it seems to be anti-right content? Did he like, reform or what?

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I've been doing this forever and I hardly ever see a suggestion for a crappy video. If they're making it easier, good job.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Finally. Now I can block out all of MKDB and Unbox Therapy's videos. Two tech YouTubers I can't stand.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Good now I can keep watching Game Grumps, Phelous and Movie Nights without Channel Awesome and Johntron constantly showing up.

Oct 25, 2017
The way your YouTube recommendations and suggestions devolve after watching 1 or 2 videos about anything involving video games is straight up annoying.

Hey you just watched that video preview on Gamespot are you interested in this video titled "Female SJW Gamespot editor gets destroyed". How about you kindly fuck off.

I remember when I would watch anything involving Star Wars and just by that it thinks it's time to recommend you channels about how Star Wars is being ruined or some shit. It always recommends the shitty channels first. I wonder why. 🙄

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Oh, so you mean I can finally tell YT to fuck right off when they recommend alt right scum channels. Nice.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Fucking finally. Just the other day I was binging some Hak5 content and forgot to turn my office tv off while I left to run some errands. Come back to some full blown Jordan Peterson shit. I had recently just finally got all the alt-right crap out of my suggested videos and this added a bunch of shit back in. Their algorithms suck so much shit.

zou

Oct 29, 2017
If this turns out to actually work well enough, they'll just get rid of it in 12-18 months.

Same thing happened with being able to block spam domains from google search.