Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
I am absolutely livid.

Yes, Linus broke it, but he wants to PAY for the repair and Cupertino is offering no resolution at all.

The product just got released. I can understand having a delay in components or having to ship and swap the product for a certified refurb, but Linus is being told essentially to suck a lemon. They are not telling him that it might take a while, they outright giving him no resolution and leaving him to have a paperweight on his desk.

This is not right, this is absolutely unacceptable. No other company could get away with this. It's time to raise some heck. I plan on sending an email and telling everyone about this.

I mean, I love a lot of Cupertino's products, but I'm no blind fanatic and absolutely call out all the bullshit that I see. This is absolutely unacceptable. I am so mad after watching this.
UPDATE!

Part 2 is here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwEInwvFbwk

Wait until the second part, it's where things get interesting, about Apple norms and rules with their own partners.

Last edited:

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I thought the same when I saw the video.
Apple has a lot of unsavory practices in regards to fixing your own stuff, but outright to fix it themselves, wtf?

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They're not just refusing, they outright can't. Could be that it was designed in a way where they didn't even think about specific repairs. Could be that it was designed in a way that the only recourse would be to buy another one to replace it. Could be that they didn't bother figuring out the support for a product they launched before they launched it.

Regardless, the sensible fans of Apple who see this as a major issue will always be vastly outnumbered by the fanatics that will buy first, ask questions later, and defend the poor multi-billion dollar underdog company that is Apple without being asked.

Also: Why do you keep referring to Apple by the city its HQ is in? Confusing as hell for people, especially non-Americans, who didn't know beyond "California." Had to google it, myself.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Is this the guy who bought "tampons" from the Amazon Go store that were actually pads?

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Is this the guy who bought "tampons" from the Amazon Go store that were actually pads?
I believe it is.

Also: Why do you keep referring to Apple by the city its HQ is in? Confusing as hell for people, especially non-Americans, who didn't know beyond "California." Had to google it, myself.
I always get the impression people talk/write like to come off as industry-savvy. Just say Apple.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a summary of the agreed upon facts available, or do I have to listen to a YouTube celebrity bloviate for ten minutes, faux outrage and advertising included?

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At work so can't watch the video. Why won't they fix it?

Watched it last night, from memory, basically -

-Linus told to take it into an official apple store for repairs (Day one of the launch, so two months ago)
-Apple store gives it back a week later, untouched because no official apple stores have the training or parts needed for repairs
-This is despite being told to bring it into an official store for repairs.

-They then told Linus to take it to a apple-certified third party repair shop
-Apple also has not provided training manuals or certification for this specific machine for any third party repair shops
-This is despite apple saying to take it to a third party repair shop

-Two months later (as of last week when they started making this video), nothing has changed. Still no parts, still no training for third party repair shops

-If you break you $5000+ workstation, your only option is to buy another one.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Are you doing a bit?
5663.jpg

OP
OP
Redhead On Moped
Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
What I don't get is why they can't just bill Linus the cost of repair and parts and just have him ship that one out and get a certified refurb pro. That seems like the right thing to do. Why not just do that? What happened to world class customer support.

Oct 30, 2017
At work so can't watch the video. Why won't they fix it?

My understanding from the video is that there is as of right now no certified iMac Pro techs that Apple is willing to supply parts to, because Apple hasn't implemented the ability to get certified yet. Apple won't send the parts to fix the iMac Pro parts to non certified people, so basically the iMac Pro as of right now is unfixable because no one can get parts to fix it.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What I don't get is why they can't just bill Linus the cost of repair and parts and just have him ship that one out and get a certified refurb pro. That seems like the right thing to do.

You know, you could probably get way more attention with this thread if you don't inexplicably obfuscate it constantly with "Cupertino" every chance you get,

Especially in the title. Cupertino sounds like some sort of Keurig competitor.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder if that YouTube guy who fixes Apple stuff could help out. Can't remember the dudes channel. He basically hates Apple and fixes their shit to spite them.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you calling them Cupertino and aren't you the person who created a thread about a Best Buy employee breaking the seal on your iPad box or some dumb shit?

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
My understanding from the video is that there is as of right now no certified iMac Pro techs that Apple is willing to supply parts to, because Apple hasn't implemented the ability to get certified yet. Apple won't send the parts to fix the iMac Pro parts to non certified people, so basically the iMac Pro as of right now is unfixable because no one can get parts to fix it.

That seems like poor planning on their part. It will probably get fixed soon.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a summary of the agreed upon facts available, or do I have to listen to a YouTube celebrity bloviate for ten minutes, faux outrage and advertising included?

They bought a iMac pro and accidentally broke the screen (small chip/maybe hairline crack across the screen). The purpose of it was to do a teardown and review I think.

They didn't have Apple Care so they took it to the Genius Bar of an Apple store and said they would pay the full repair cost. Apple holds onto it for two months but then says they could not repair it. You would have to go to a third party Apple Authorized Service Provider to get it repaired but AASPs can't repair it either because they can't get the part from Apple.

Whole thing makes it look like Apple treats their computers like disposable goods or that Apple just hasn't set up enough of a support network.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Did this dude actually buy the iMac Pro himself or was it a promotional thing from Apple? I wonder if someone who purchased the unit with their own cash wouldn't just get a new replacement machine if the thing broke.

Flo_Evans

Oct 25, 2017
His car analogy is stupid. The dealer will not fix a car if they feel the structural damage is too great.

He said he needs a new board, power supply and screen? uh yeah that is pretty much buy a new one.

Deleted member 25108

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why on earth any professional would buy a iMac pro is beyond me.

This and the surface studio are marketed at pros but when you look at the downsides, they really are only for rich hobbyists who can afford to replace them.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
IHe broke the computer himself? Tough shit imo.

The point is, he's willing to pay for repairs as he knows it's not covered under warranty. Problem is, Apple straight up doesn't know how to. Watch the video before commenting

He's not a yt celebrity, it's a tech channel. The full ten minutes is him describing his efforts over two months to try and fix it.

But if you are really so lazy that you want to be informed without bothering to inform yourself, here you go:

Watched it last night, from memory, basically -

-Linus told to take it into an official apple store for repairs (Day one of the launch, so two months ago)
-Apple store gives it back a week later, untouched because no official apple stores have the training or parts needed for repairs
-This is despite being told to bring it into an official store for repairs.

-They then told Linus to take it to a apple-certified third party repair shop
-Apple also has not provided training manuals or certification for this specific machine for any third party repair shops
-This is despite apple saying to take it to a third party repair shop

-Two months later (as of last week when they started making this video), nothing has changed. Still no parts, still no training for third party repair shops

-If you break you $5000+ workstation, your only option is to buy another one.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Just watched the video. That re-enactment conversation was painful. Linus is really pushing drama and clickbait lately.

What I don't get is why they can't just bill Linus the cost of repair and parts and just have him ship that one out and get a certified refurb pro. That seems like the right thing to do. Why not just do that? What happened to world class customer support.
If it had broken within warranty they would've just given him a replacement.

If here they've got a computer they seemingly can't fix, then they'd essentially just be selling him a new one. I'm not even sure there's returbs to send out yet.

My Apple Watch broke within warranty. They replaced it with an upgraded model.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I saw this video this morning and almost made a post about it, but I thought better of it. It reminds me of the "Seattle Rex" case a few years ago, which was the first incident (but not the last) that started to really sour my opinion of Apple.

OP
OP
Redhead On Moped
Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
Just watched the video. That re-enactment conversation was painful. Linus is really pushing drama and clickbait lately.

If it had broken within warranty they would've just given him a replacement.

If here they've got a computer they seemingly can't fix, then they'd essentially just be selling him a new one. I'm not even sure there's returbs to send out yet.
Then if new ones are all they have, still bill him only for cost of time and repair, give him the new one, and then repair Linus' old one to refurb it for the future at a later date when the parts are readily available.

That sounds like the right thing to do.

Deleted member 13506

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I'm so confused. Who is copertino?

He broke the computer himself? Tough shit imo.

It makes you seem like you know what you're talking about when you say Cupertino instead of Apple. Ex. "That last update Redmond pushed out was bad."

Watch the video at the 5 minute mark at least before you say that.

I disagree. When you disassemble a product, whether it's a computer or car (as in his example), and make a video about it, and break the product in the process, why is the manufacturer responsible, regardless of if you will pay or not? And why does the video include shameless advertising jammed down the viewers throat? Why is advertising needed in this video? Same reason the dumb pleb dropped the screen - because it's content.

I like Linus, but this is just silly. When you fuck around with expensive hardware all the time like they do, unfortunately you will be eating some costs.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty pathetic, especially for a $5K workstation. If Dell or HP said "lol I dunno" when it comes to repairing business-grade hardware, there would be IT people rioting in the streets

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like how the thread title really makes it sound like this is a pressing issue. One that we need to get angry about. Then you think to yourself, "Who the fuck is Cupertino? Who the fuck is Linus?" Oh wait, it's a Huelen thread.