• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City

A good watch, in my opinion, on the conondrum of the Switch launch. The video is from August, so it's kind of old. Talked about how many people thought the console would fail, but the Switch has blind-sided many. It's the fastest selling console in 10 months in the U.S., has already outsold the WiiU, and has seen a resurgence in 3rd parties for a Nintendo system.

A lot of the info you might have already known, but I thought it would be a fun share and discussion. I honestly thought it was going to be another WiiU. I thought I had outgrown Nintendo games, and would probably pick it up for Pokémon in 3+ years when it was cheaper. Then I heard about Zelda and bought the system on a whim. Has been a total revitalization in my love for Nintendo consoles and gaming!

Deleted member 1722

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, weird my memory is that everyone was like "it's the most obvious idea, of course it will be huge."

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, weird my memory is that everyone was like "it's the most obvious idea, of course it will be huge."
Analysts thought the system would fail and advised companies from supporting the console, leading to game devs scrambling to create software for it last year.

To be fair though, they thought the same of the PS4, and the same thing happened. :p

Deleted member 6436

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can there be some sort of standard going forward where we clearly mark in titles that we're talking about YouTube videos?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It is a game changer for me. One of those things I never knew I wanted until I got it in my hands. And now I want all my future consoles to be hybrid.

Not sure if that will be true for everyone though. Be interesting to see what happens over the next 3 years with the Switch.

Nov 1, 2017
You know a video is gonna be good when it takes a minute and a half to even see/hear its creator... This has to be one of the worst introductions to a video I've seen. Could've cut out at least a minute of that.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of crazy to think about, but yeah, there were a lot of YouTube wannabe pundits and even mainstream games press that were absolutely certain that the Switch was going to be nothing short of a disaster.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hindsight is 20/20, but it being a success should have been clear. Just expecting it to be on track with PS1/PS2/PS4 levels is what caught me off guard.

Wii U fans were starved, 3DS fans mostly had their full, and most people hadn't played Nintendo since the Wii.B Nintendo also got lucky in both not using up their big guns on the Wii U as well as being able to release the console mid generation. If the Wii U had more legs and something like BotW or Odyssey were released earlier, or if the Switch were competing with the PS5/Xbox Two I think the story would be a bit different.

At the very least all these things considered I expected around a 3DS level of success, but it could potentially surpass even that.

Deleted member 1722

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, aside from a few people on the old forum, most people seemed pretty positive on switch so it was a bit weird to see people say otherwise.
What I keep thinking about too is everyone basically decided on exactly what the switch would be years before it announced. I guess there were some hints along the way, but the idea of a consolidated Nintendo development effort on a tablet w/hdmi port was on everyone's mind before we learned anything about the system itself.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Hindsight is 20/20, but it being a success should have been clear. Just expecting it to be on track with PS1/PS2/PS4 levels is what caught me off guard.

Wii U fans were starved, 3DS fans mostly had their full, and most people hadn't played Nintendo since the Wii.B Nintendo also got lucky in both not using up their big guns on the Wii U as well as being able to release the console mid generation. If the Wii U had more legs and something like BotW or Odyssey were released earlier, or if the Switch were competing with the PS5/Xbox Two I think the story would be a bit different.

At the very least all these things considered I expected around a 3DS level of success, but it could potentially surpass even that.
And the 3DS had its sales issues at launch to the point that Nintendo was compelled to drop the price in an effort to give them a boost. The Switch? No such problem!

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Youtube is pushing this CP guy hard, this is the second Era thread of one of his videos.

He's not even good, lot's of clickbait.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
There's something about this Youtuber that rubs me the wrong way with his weird "murdered" videos and now this. Honestly, its probably because his videos show up on my recommended lists non stop.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao. Good shit.

download2jfq1i.png

download1t8rph.png

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Yeah, aside from a few people on the old forum, most people seemed pretty positive on switch so it was a bit weird to see people say otherwise.

Huh? Did you even see that over 100 page thread on the old site? Shitposts, console war mongering, people being picked on for even humoring the idea of the Switch being successful, the works. Most people there thought it was dead in the water.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
"How everyone got it wrong"

But I got it right.......

Damian Mahadevan

User banned for use of alt account
Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I think it is fair to say "they were wrong". It took me like an hour to get over my preconceptions of the Switch to love the idea.

SnowFlakeCake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What kind of shit were people snorting, to think the Switch would not do well? I don't really follow Nintendo at all but surely people are not shocked a Nintendo handheld is doing well. It is pretty much the most obvious prediction one could make in gaming, another easy one was how badly Sony were gonna fuck up with the Vita which they absolutely did.

The only prediction that stuck out for me being a total and utter fuck up was the PS4. Analysts and Gaf were convinced it was going to be all Nintendo and Microsoft, there were even people wondering how Sony were going to be able to fund R&D for the console. That's the most outlandish shit I've ever seen prediction wise, was also hilarious seeing the eventual outcome.

Edit - There was also a really annoying period where industry folk could not go a day without mentioning Apple and how mobile was going to kill the traditional gaming industry. That was a truly painful time.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Even though it's a huge success, I'm not going to discredit the concerns of some of those people as completely ridiculous.

The point about the lineup was viable at the time. But essentially they were overestiming how much Zelda and MK8 being on Wii U mattered.
And underestimated the ability for BotW to drive a console's sales for months. And 1-2 switch to supplement.
And underestimated the appeal of the console itself.

but yeah, there weren't many games to launch, and Zelda and MK8 existed in some form on the Wii U, Those wasn't a crazily wrong thing to say back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.