• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Link: https://gematsu.com/2018/10/ys-viii...ft-package-edition-announced-for-ps4-in-japan

Total sales for Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana have topped 500,000 worldwide, and Falcom will release a "Christmas Gift Package" edition of the game for PlayStation 4 in Japan on December 20 for 4,800 yen, the company announced.

Go to the link for more details of the Xmas version.

Sales in Japan are at ~164k units across all platforms (excluding Steam) in Japan according to gamedatalibrary

Last edited:

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome! I got both the PS4 and Switch version myself. I know they've already confirmed a new game is in development, and hopefully we're not far off from getting to actually see it.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
Just great. This being a big success for NISA only seals the fate of further Falcom releases even more.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Played it on my Switch and thought it was a great game. Really loved the castaway theme.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still need to play and buy the game (I have it on my wishlist for months) but those numbers are great, even more for a falcom title.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
It's great that the game did that well. But boy the Switch has paid off well for NISA.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seems like the hyperbolic NISA doom and gloom Ys VIII is pretty much only reserved to this forum.
Having said that, if there's new Ys, NISA probably won't have any incentive to do better than their 2nd translation attempt on Ys VIII.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the hyperbolic NISA doom and gloom Ys VIII is pretty much only reserved to this forum.
Having said that, if there's new Ys, NISA probably won't have any incentive to do better than their 2nd translation attempt on Ys VIII.
I would expect worse than their second attempt.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bought the PS4 version.

Let's not act as if the game wasn't a mess in English at launch and the PC version isn't still a garbage port.

Oct 25, 2017

I honestly don't mind them doing Ys, it hurts but it's "fine"(not really fine), but Kiseki? that would be disastrous.

Oct 25, 2017
You should know better than to say something like this.

I mostly mean that I can still enjoy Ys as an action game, but for Kiseki it's a whole other deal.

Of course what I want is for Xseed and their passionate team to be the ones that localize these games, also they have made fantastic PC ports which is something that NISA keeps fucking up. The PC port of Ys VIII is still a mess and they clearly gave up.

Also I edited my post, don't reply to me so fast, haha.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I'm curious how these sales compares to Xseed Ys localizations. Is this a good result or par for course?

preta

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how this compares to Xseed Ys localizations. Is this a good result or par for course?
The initial localization was absolute ass, a complete embarrassment. The re-edited one (it was not retranslated, despite their claims) is passable, but still below the level of XSEED's work.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
compared to Xseed it's crap.
The initial localization was absolute ass, a complete embarrassment. The re-edited one (it was not retranslated, despite their claims) is passable, but still below the level of XSEED's work.
Worded badly. I meant sales

yeah, I figured that's what you meant
Yup, lol. At least someone knew what I meant.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that user was asking about sales performance, not the localization of the game itself.

Edit - yeah, I figured that's what you meant

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
Very well deserved. This was my first Ys game, and I'm happy to see it's doing well enough that hopefully the sequel will come west without too much delay. I liked it so much in fact that I have both Switch and PS4 copies.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Any context for these numbers? How is that relative to other games in the series, or Falcom's other games? Did this exceed Falcom's expectations, or is it fairly standard sales for them?

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
I've come to accept that NISA is gonna get their hands on future Ys titles, if they ever got Trails though I would be done with that series as I have no doubt they'd fuck up the translation big time.

Still haven't played it, I had the game pre-ordered as soon as it went up on Steam and then refunded once I saw how bad the port was. Since then I've been waiting on them to patch it up (seems they're done with patches and it's as good as it's gonna get) and for a good discount sale since I will not pay full price. A real shame as it's the only Falcom game on Steam I haven't played yet.

Oct 25, 2017
I've come to accept that NISA is gonna get their hands on future Ys titles, if they ever got Trails though I would be done with that series as I have no doubt they'd fuck up the translation big time.

Still haven't played it, I had the game pre-ordered as soon as it went up on Steam and then refunded once I saw how bad the port was. Since the I've been waiting on them to patch it up (seems they're done with patches and it's as good as it's gonna get) and for a good discount sale since I will not pay full price. A real shame as it's the only Falcom game on Steam I haven't played yet.

They are done updating the PC port, I just gave up and got it on the recent PSN sale.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Any context for these numbers? How is that relative to other games in the series, or Falcom's other games? Did this exceed Falcom's expectations, or is it fairly standard sales for them?
It's much higher than Ys VI, Felghana, Origin, VII or Celceta from what we know but all of those were just PC/PSP or PC/Vita. Higher than any of the Trails games either.

It's impressive given the low Steam figures, which is where the other better selling Ys games did most of their sales (Origin and Felghana over 200k iirc). PS4 and Switch must have done most of the heavy lifting.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
It's much higher than Ys VI, Felghana, Origin, VII or Celceta from what we know but all of those were just PC/PSP or PC/Vita. Higher than any of the Trails games either.

It's impressive given the low Steam figures, which is where the other better selling Ys games did most of their sales (Origin and Felghana over 200k iirc). PS4 and Switch must have done most of the heavy lifting.

With that in mind, if VIII hadn't gone through the PC port drama on top of the bad press of the translation fiasco marring its original PS4 release, I really don't think a million all up would be unreasonable by now.

Hopefully things are handled more smoothly with the next main game - VIII introducing new fans to the series certainly won't hurt it either.

Pedetemptim

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was impressed with neither the (updated) localization, nor the PC port (it kept crashing until I limited it to a single CPU core, and that was in August, after months of patching), but I hope that competition from NISA will encourage (or has already encouraged) XSEED to pledge to localize Crossbell as part of their Calvard or CS III/CS IV bids, and that competition from XSEED (and even Aksys) will encourage NISA to improve their quality standards or will end their relationship with Falcom.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017

Interesting, thanks for the info.

I wonder why this one did better. Maybe it's as simple as PS4 and Switch bringing in new players. Or maybe the game just itself seemed more appealing this time, and word of mouth was good. Aside from translation problems, I've heard nothing but positive things about the game.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, thanks for the info.

I wonder why this one did better. Maybe it's as simple as PS4 and Switch bringing in new players. Or maybe the game just itself seemed more appealing this time, and word of mouth was good. Aside from translation problems, I've heard nothing but positive things about the game.

It's a massively more appealing and market-friendly game than previous entries - Seven started to move into that direction, but VIII is to this point the game in the series with the most to offer fans of typical JRPGs, with its greater emphasis on character interaction and greatly increased length / content outside of things like higher difficulty runs and replays that wouldn't interest regular players. The visuals and VA / presentation also aren't amazing, but they're now at least on a level where they don't immediately turn people off like the PSP era titles.

The platforms definitely helped, it seems to have done okay on Switch in particular, but it was always going to be a much bigger game in the series.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Don't forget the game also has had barely any sales at $60 MSRP.
Origin on Steam has SRP of $20 and often goes for 50% discount.
Ys VIII is far and above the most successful Ys game outside Japan so far.
No matter what people's issue with NISA, they've done excellent job marketing the game and bring attention to much wider audience.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best games I've played in the last few years, had an absolute blast. My only wish is that they commit to a different art-style than generic anime, that and the bigger focus on story (especially towards the end) brought it down a bit for me, but the gameplay remains great throughout.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Played it on Vita last year and Switch this year, the only 50 hour game I've ever played twice inside of a year because I enjoyed it so much, no matter the 'big hole' of the clunky localised script in the Vita version. Was fun spotting the differences though.

How does it compare to previous games in worldwide sales?

jrpl

Nov 20, 2017
but i remember reading there were several updates planned post-launch?
I forgot sorry, it's all fixed now though
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/06/nis_america_outlines_the_patch_plans_for_ys_viii

Awesome. I'm still waiting for a good sale to get it. Would you all recommend PS4 or PC?
I had no issues running it on PC at launch, finished it at launch too. Mind you I had a fairly beefy PC though, 1070+i7