• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Given they're developing this for PS4 and not Vita, only animations are at risk of looking dodgy. The technical jump here's going to do so much for the premise.

Ah yeah, finally freed from the shackles of a handheld platform limitation should work wonders. Hopefully they'll keep some semblance of DirectX build target in there for the eventual PC release (and make a deal with a competent developer this time around)

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
No idea. If it follows the current pattern of Ys releases, it'll change something about how the game plays. Alternatively, we'll learn that the party system happened precisely because they want to court PSP owners who buy games with big, varied casts. (It's also convenient for the story if you can have the main fighters together most of the time.)

Given they're developing this for PS4 and not Vita, only animations are at risk of looking dodgy. The technical jump here's going to do so much for the premise.
For some crazy reason i got this idea thst they looked at witcher 3, nioh and sekiro and got inspirstion on making a solo adol game
Dont ask my why i think this, its just silly idea in my head.

OP
OP
Pasokon Deacon
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
What's so bad about VIII's art direction? Besides, it's going to be fairly similar, whether or not there's an ancient civilization like Dana's. Falcom iterates more visibly than other developers, relying on reused assets a lot to make games in new premises.

I see, then I hope it gets some Pro support, I need an excuse to get one :p
Worst case, you'll have 4k and 60 FPS now that Falcom's not having to port upward. I just hope they won't go ham with effects to the point that it causes performance hiccups.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
All they need to do is not put any weird rapey scenes in it and we're good to go.
Or dropping in on characters like Laxia while she's bathing :/ Just sad to see Falcom slowly slide down that precipice.
Frankly, I would love for it to be a new game, but I won't complain for getting a Ys game.

Hopefully they'll improve the animation and geometry of the levels (Although my point of reference is just Ys VIII and not Sen III/IV) in this entry.

The tentative date for Cold Steel 1 & 2 PS4 is late January.
Cold Steel 3 and 4 still look really rough, so I wouldn't get my hopes up >.< Not that it's the biggest deal for me when it comes to their games - I just want them to continue feeling absurdly fast and responsive.

Oct 27, 2017
What's so bad about VIII's art direction? Besides, it's going to be fairly similar, whether or not there's an ancient civilization like Dana's. Falcom iterates more visibly than other developers, relying on reused assets a lot to make games in new premises.

Worst case, you'll have 4k and 60 FPS now that Falcom's not having to port upward. I just hope they won't go ham with effects to the point that it causes performance hiccups.
Yeah, from the TX PS4 port onward all has had Pro support, iirc.
Ys VIII already has Pro support, so do the PS4 Cold Steel games and Tokyo Xanadu.

Sweet! Didnt know, I'll get now for sure, then :D

OP
OP
Pasokon Deacon
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
This is the most important question of all. The last great Adol design was Ys 7. I always prefer Adol to wear armor instead of some fancy Nomura belts and zippers style clothing.
There's always Silver Armor DLC. FWIW I think his VIII attire looks good, not like it's drowning in peak Nomura-isms. Please nothing like the Celceta promo outfit again, though.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When you walk in on someone bathing and they try to attack you, do you fight back or just leave? (Why walk in on someone bathing to begin with?)
She was bathing in an open river, on what was thought to be a deserted island. Her first reaction was rapier stab, his was parry.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
When you walk in on someone bathing and they try to attack you, do you fight back or just leave? (Why walk in on someone bathing to begin with?)
For one, that has nothing to do with the claim he slashed her towel away for a rapey scene. Two she was bathing in the middle of a river stream since it was an abandoned island and they were just ship wrecked and everyone separated. It's still a weird Japanese scene, but Adol isn't just invading a shower room to creep on a girl.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently playing through VIII and it's so fucking good. Glad the PC port got mostly sorted out over time.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017

She was bathing in like a stream behind a giant bolder and he deflects a rapier more by instinct because he's Adol fucking Christin

Edit: I just rewatched that scene and Adol immediately turns away when the towel falls. Falcom may be on that creep shit, but I won't hear this mess about Adol

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Cold Steel 3 and 4 still look really rough, so I wouldn't get my hopes up >.< Not that it's the biggest deal for me when it comes to their games - I just want them to continue feeling absurdly fast and responsive.

Definitely. I don't think Falcom will never let go their tightly designed Ys combat response (I hope pulling off Flash Guard will still feel as satisfying as ever) just to chase high fidelity graphics. But it definitely will help when shilling the series to prospective fans. :-)

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Ive been wanting to play YS 8 but psn region 3 seems not selling the english version. It only says chinese version. Can anyone on psn region 3 confirm this?

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
There's always Silver Armor DLC. FWIW I think his VIII attire looks good, not like it's drowning in peak Nomura-isms. Please nothing like the Celceta promo outfit again, though.
Yeah, they're not that bad, but I still think the newer designs are tad too flamboryant/over-designed. His default design in VIII looks like he's more ready to go on a fashion show instead of buckling up for a hands on, rough adventure.

Edit: Yes I know at the start of VIII, Adol was on a cruise which can explain his fancy attire, but hey.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I still remember Ys VIII debuting its trailer in 2014, and then taking another 2 years to release (3 for the PS4 version that was announced at the same time).

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, so silly. So you just take it and get stabbed in the chest with a rapier? Nice guy duckroll. I'd be pretty mad myself if I got attacked with a rapier just because I came across someone bathing by accident, with no time to leave or explain myself.
It's a stupid scene sure, an anime trope. But in the scene, it's not like Adol is a predator. He comes across the scene, and then there is no time to de-esclate.

Don't think you can get the armor anymore? I bought the game with the NISA pack, and I'm playing through it right now and the only DLC outfit I got was for Laxia.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
I'll get excited if there is less story/dialogue than the last Ys game, which is unlikely tbh. The feature creep was a killer too...

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
The other great news is that Sen no Kiseki will be seeing English PS4 releases in 2019. Hopefully this means III, too.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, a wizard catgirl, looks like? And the graphics don't look like much of a jump over Ys VIII.

OP
OP
Pasokon Deacon
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Notice, everyone, how we've only seen one character per screenshot, each of them looking like playable characters. Neither are Adol. This could be a return to the solo style a la Origin where you have different sections for different characters. Even crazier, we might not even have Adol to play this time, at least not initially. I highly doubt that will happen, but Falcom takes big risks every now and then. (Bear in mind, though, that Falcom intentionally releases misleading screenshots and press items to fool with fans who overanalyze things.)

It's looking nice so far, though not a noticeable upgrade over VIII's presentation.

I'll get excited if there is less story/dialogue than the last Ys game, which is unlikely tbh. The feature creep was a killer too...
Finale games like Ys Origin or VIII generally have a lot of extra stuff that's hit or miss, whereas games like VI, Seven, and now this keep it all slim because Falcom likes to try new things.

Last edited:

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Will be here day one

I have triple dipped on Ys 8 (soon to be a quad dip with the Switch version), will do the same with anything Ys really (it's prety obvious either NISA or Xseed are going to pick it up and bring it to PC and maybe Switch)

I just hope I'll be able to get a NISA CE in Canada next time :(

Eila

Oct 27, 2017

This + English Cold Steel 4 release for 2019 sound good. Guess they were always coming, but it's good to see them (kind of) confirmed.

OP
OP
Pasokon Deacon
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
New promo images from the site (which finally loaded)

SWrSbL2.jpg

uwVm8DH.png

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Holding out hope for solo Adol adventure and give him more cool looking armor and less casual hoodie stuff.

Notice, everyone, how we've only seen one character per screenshot, each of them looking like playable characters. Neither are Adol. This could be a return to the solo style a la Origin where you have different sections for different characters.
Oh man, now I'm getting kinda hype for this. I'd be so down. God, I love Origin so much.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I still remember Ys VIII debuting its trailer in 2014, and then taking another 2 years to release (3 for the PS4 version that was announced at the same time).
Time between announcement trailer and release is just 2 years seem pretty alright, especially considering the work cycle in this industry nowadays plus unexpected incidents like delay.

OP
OP
Pasokon Deacon
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
An astute observation

Designs look a bit overdone but very interesting for sure. It's baffling how little this feels like modern Ys, so I wonder if Falcom's using this title to trojan-horse some experimental ideas/themes. In short, this reminds me more of a later Brandish game than Ys so far, which is amazing.

Also: