• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
You know what would be cool? Adol as the main villain. Perhaps it can be a story about a young protagonist seeking revenge against an older Adol who killed his parents. This can be an alternate universe sort of story.
This sounds really cliché, if this happens we all know that the parents murder will be a misunderstanding. We all know that Adol is the nicest guy ever and can't do wrong.

Pedetemptim

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I welcome the apparent shift from Celceta's and VIII's wilderness exploration to an urban environment. If there are multiple point of view characters, I hope the screen time is split more evenly between them than in CS II, Tokyo Xanadu, or Ys VIII.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Yunica crushed demons' skulls while weseing oven mitts to better control infusing her hotbloodedness into her axe.
How can you hate on that?

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Is a prequel to all Ys games. Adol is not even alive when the evens in Origins happen.
Origin took the backstory of I&II and made a hell of a fucking game out of it that gave Adol's first quest and future ones a ton more weight.

I wonder if they'll ever feel like remaking I&II again. For the 14th time.
A prequel to the first two games that brings them more in line with the mythos established in later games.

Also it being the only non-numbered entry is no accident I believe
I'm sorry. Let me try this again.

Well I mean the whole premise of the series is that each game is one of Adol's adventure journals so he's not going anywhere.
Puts Origin in a weird place. It's clearly canon but since Adol never experienced it, he couldn't have written about it.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds really cliché, if this happens we all know that the parents murder will be a misunderstanding. We all know that Adol is the nicest guy ever and can't do wrong.
That's why I say alternate universe. In this timeline, Adol had been corrupted by some mystical jewel or something and became a bloody tyrant.

OP
OP
Pasokon Deacon
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
My hope story-wise is for this cast to have great interactions and deftly-written edge/critical flaws that are engaging and meaningful. The lore will come naturally for Falcom's writers, so it's up to dialogue and good localization for everything else.

I welcome the apparent shift from Celceta's and VIII's wilderness exploration to an urban environment. If there are multiple point of view characters, I hope the screen time is split more evenly between them than in CS II, Tokyo Xanadu, or Ys VIII.
Since exploration still matters to new fans, I imagine the game's gonna have an extensive underworld to compensate.

Yunica crushed demons' skulls while weseing oven mitts to better control infusing her hotbloodedness into her axe.
How can you hate on that?
I can hate Roy for being a dull childhood-brother-surrogate that needed better writing to make Yunica's character growth more earned. Otherwise, yeah, she's great and the most interesting character to play on higher difficulties if you want challenge.

Zephyx

Oct 28, 2017
I loved the base building mechanics introduced in 8. Hope they make it better this game, if it has the same features.

Probably getting this a week or month after release.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the base building mechanics introduced in 8. Hope they make it better this game, if it has the same features.

Probably getting this a week or month after release.
There's mention of some kind of guild operations system. That could be building up weapon stores and stuff.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I say alternate universe. In this timeline, Adol had been corrupted by some mystical jewel or something and became a bloody tyrant.

It would have to be an alternate timeline for sure, considering IIRC Adol dies of old age in his mid 60s after returning to his village and writing all his stories.

Personally I hope they don't do that anyway. As I mentioned, I don't mind that Adol is that straightforward Link character.

Pedetemptim

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In the picture showing the prisoners, the second character from the left appears to have a Romun emblem on her skirt:
starkwfl7.jpg

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
Finally! I have been waiting for more Ys after 8! It's such a great game.
Looks like Ys8 engine as well, and I am absolutely fine with it.
Would this be PS4/Switch? is Vita still in?

Retro!

Oct 25, 2017

It's only PS4 atm. Currently Falcom only develops for PS4

but PC and Switch ports were all licensed out and developed after initial japanese release. So there's potential for that with this game as well

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's PS4 only atm. YsVIII released on the Switch because of NIS. Who knows if they'll be willing to give it another go.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
huh, that's cool! Surprising to me it was coming already, somewhat enjoyed the last one... a bit too heavy on dialogue that killed the pacing for me but overall an enjoyable experience and I'll be down for another one :>

Pedetemptim

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
leadcefa9.jpg

The game's apparent female lead seems to have prosthetic left arm, left leg and at least the left part of torso. The left eye may be an implant too, going by the unnatural glow. Her right arm appears to be organic. Not sure about the right leg, but it looks different from the left one.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Day 1! Ys is absolutely the best. I can't wait for more details! Replaying 7, it's an absolute blast.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
I wonder if Dana will make an appearance in this game or not, since they said this will be a sequel to ys viii.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Well this is an interesting change in direction. I thought Ys IX would just focus on Adol and Romn since VIII teased that a bunch, although they could still do that here. I'm curious if they'll change the combat up now that we've had 3 games with the previous system.

Line

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Best series still going strong!
I just hope that they'll really give a bit more care to the ports, the PC and Switch versions of Ys 8 could have been better... although since the original is on Vita and is kinda dreadful all around.... maybe it's fitting...

"Love" those screenshots, it looks like Oblivion.
We're not getting better visuals for this one, are we?

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He slashes the towel off of her with his sword. It's pretty bad.
I'm sure others replied to you already but no he doesn't. He defends himself by parring her sword attack (which she goes for a swift death blow the second she realizes someone came across her out in the river, real classy) and when he does she loses her sword and her grip on the towel she was wearing.

It's still an embarrassing and fucking stupid as shit scene, especially as an introduction for a soon to be very important playable character, I am not defending any of that. But it's a fact that Adol does not slash her towel down at all. Also I wish this trope died in a fire already.

Last edited:

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Overly busy character design, last gen (PSP) assets and visuals, it's still the same old YS, in 2019.

I disagree. The texture work as shown in the screenshots shared here looks significantly detailed enough compared with Ys Seven (which originally released on PSP), as an example. Secondly, the environment here looks expansive with added geometry. I think to put Falcom's work at the same level as asset flippers aren't exactly fair.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Yay more Ys.

Couldn't care less about Adol, he's a nothing character. Ys is played for the gameplay so the characters honestly don't matter to me.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Looks really good, hope they get XSEED to do localization, and it comes out without too much delay in the West. YS8 was my first YS game, and it really clicked with me. The game play is so snappy, and streamlined. I hope if it's designed around PS4 they can manage to have much fewer load screens.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I just started VIII and I'm really loving it. I'm quite excited about this. I didn't think I would be this excited but I am.