• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
img.jpg

ss_01.jpg
ss_02.jpg
ss_03.jpg
Falcom really needs to invest into UE4 or something. This looks like a vita port.

Oh well, I guess that's kinda their look nowadays.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Is this really port begging when it's a completely realistic scenario given the previous game and the current market?

I mean, I could ask the same for a PC version but it's really just a guarantee even if not officially announced.
The whole port begging rule makes me scared to post some times, it also seems odd considering the fact that on popular Reset Era podcasts like the Gamexplain, Kinda Funny Games or the Easy Allies podcasts Switch ports are asked about all the time.

Anyway, I hope there also comes a collection sometimes consisting of old Ys games. Some PSP ones are getting really expensive.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
Wanted to get into the series but I was completely turned off on how bad DANA looked. This doesn't look much better.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
The whole port begging rule makes me scared to post some times, it also seems odd considering the fact that on popular Reset Era podcasts like the Gamexplain, Kinda Funny Games or the Easy Allies podcasts Switch ports are asked about all the time.

I think it's more to do on how certain posts can sound like. Hoping a game to come out on a favourite platform is their choice, sure. However, something like "I hope a certain developer can pick this up for localization on PS Vita" is more agreeable compared with something like "Please port this game to Switch!"

Anyway, I hope there also comes a collection sometimes consisting of old Ys games. Some PSP ones are getting really expensive.

Most of the older Ys games already has its definitive version out on Steam/GOG. Unless you're talking about Ys V.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I really like how the key artwork and the logo have an old school anime vibe. The game itself doesn't look significantly better than 8 but it doesn't bother me. Can't wait to play this in 3 years.

Edit: the artwork really reminds me of Xanadu Next actually. That's pretty neat.

Last edited:

THIJJ

Oct 26, 2017
No Adol?

Not really feeling these designs of the new characters. Massively over designed.

It's Ys, so I'll get it, but man. The series' art has gotten progressively worse since 7

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I disagree. The texture work as shown in the screenshots shared here looks significantly detailed enough compared with Ys Seven (which originally released on PSP), as an example. Secondly, the environment here looks expansive with added geometry. I think to put Falcom's work at the same level as asset flippers aren't exactly fair.
people haven't posted this screenshot of the game yet;
yeah totally
Alright, I was probably thinking of the Vita, not PSP (I actually said last gen).

But seriously, I wish that they could at least achieve Tales of games visuals and scope. That's the minimum for a new game in 2019, especially now that they're not restricted by the Vita limitations.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Latin for Monster Night.

Except it isn't, really.

LANGUAGE NERD ALERT

Latin's an inflected language, and as such cases and genders are really important. What they've done is literally put the word for "monster"/"omen" and "night" next to each other in English word order - great, but in Latin there's no link, implied or otherwise, between those two words.

If they wanted it to say "a night of monsters/omens", then they should have put "Nox Monstrorum". Conversely, if it's about one monster who belongs to the night, then "Monstrum Noctis" (or perhaps "Ex Nocte Monstrum" "a monster from the night"). Etc. etc.

It seems to be a bit of a trend to add some spicy Latin to JRPGs, either in the original or in the localisation, without doing due diligence. Octopath Traveller was guilty of this with its spell names ("Wind To Dance!"), and I'm hoping I've misheard some of the spoken dialogue from Kingdom Hearts 3 trailers about something Xehanort is interested in
Scala Ad Caelum
because although it's written out correctly, I'm not sure he's saying it right...

Line

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Alright, I was probably thinking of the Vita, not PSP (I actually said last gen).

But seriously, I wish that they could at least achieve Tales of games visuals and scope. That's the minimum for a new game in 2019, especially now that they're not restricted by the Vita limitations.
Thing is, Tales Of is also tremendously ugly, empty, and at least a generation behind.
As much as I like both franchises, they are a good decade late to the party, visuals wise (especially concerning when Eternal Sonata kicks the crap out of Berseria and was published by the same company 9 entire years before).

Let's hope that the next Tales Of finally gets the engine upgrade it needs, and that Ys 9 adds some life to its larger areas. Can't ask too much with such a budget difference though... Ys is small potatoes compared to everything else.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Once again a folly comparison, Ys8 was coded by 8 people at it's peak. Berseria by comparison was coded by 22 people.

Vigamox

Nov 13, 2017
Ys 8 was my first entry to the series and I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to this one as well.

Graphics don't seem to be a huge step up from 8, given that I assume this is being built for the PS4 from the ground up and not the Vita as well. Regardless, the graphics didn't really bother me in 8 so any improvement on that will be great.

Deleted member 26768

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
by the way they seem to have moved from their internal engine to PhyreEngine which they already used for cold steel

l_5c19a6ba2954d.jpg

ss_b9edf7c7049f10b352eb5104893c87bebd06ace4.1920x1080.jpg

2964725-pljm16033_s22.jpg
the way the draw distance gets hazy is what gives it away imo. This being developed for PS4 exclusively probably will show more in how maps are set up comparable to the Night Raids added to the PS4 version of Lacrimosa of Dana, they'd rather throw more shit on a screen than tweak graphical fidelity.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Except it isn't, really.

LANGUAGE NERD ALERT

Latin's an inflected language, and as such cases and genders are really important. What they've done is literally put the word for "monster"/"omen" and "night" next to each other in English word order - great, but in Latin there's no link, implied or otherwise, between those two words.

If they wanted it to say "a night of monsters/omens", then they should have put "Nox Monstrorum". Conversely, if it's about one monster who belongs to the night, then "Monstrum Noctis" (or perhaps "Ex Nocte Monstrum" "a monster from the night"). Etc. etc.

It seems to be a bit of a trend to add some spicy Latin to JRPGs, either in the original or in the localisation, without doing due diligence. Octopath Traveller was guilty of this with its spell names ("Wind To Dance!"), and I'm hoping I've misheard some of the spoken dialogue from Kingdom Hearts 3 trailers about something Xehanort is interested in
Scala Ad Caelum
because although it's written out correctly, I'm not sure he's saying it right...
Cheers for the confirmation. Touched on this earlier, but it's been too long, so I wasn't sure. I'm fairly sure you're right that they just translated two individual words and glued them together, grammar be damned.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
leadcefa9.jpg

The game's apparent female lead seems to have prosthetic left arm, left leg and at least the left part of torso. The left eye may be an implant too, going by the unnatural glow. Her right arm appears to be organic. Not sure about the right leg, but it looks different from the left one.
Bloodborne + Black Rock ★ Shooter + Gear?
Sign me up.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Didn't they say this would be a direct sequel of Lacrimosa of DANA? That storyline was balla as fuck

Plus the weak graphics make me hopeful for a Switch release, although I can't seem to find anything on how well it sold on there.

Pedetemptim

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Except it isn't, really.

LANGUAGE NERD ALERT

I think the current title can be really clumsy, but kind of valid Latin if the intended meaning is "a monster that is night itself".

Example (Plautus Amph. 1070): Atque illam geminos filios pueros peperisse conspicor.
Literal translation: And I see that she has given birth to twin sons, boys.

Two nouns in the accusative case sitting right next to each other, with no conjunction. It's not a list of different items. Filii and pueri refer to the same beings here, and one of the nouns acts like an attribute of the other one.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they say this would be a direct sequel of Lacrimosa of DANA? That storyline was balla as fuck

Plus the weak graphics make me hopeful for a Switch release, although I can't seem to find anything on how well it sold on there.

They didnt say it was a direct sequel, just taking place sometime after it in the timeline.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
This was a pleasent surprise. Loved YsVIII and I hope they improve on that formula, it doesn't look that great graphically speaking but that was expected. Hope it runs well on the systems is released.

All they need to do is not put any weird rapey scenes in it and we're good to go.

I don't remember any of that happening in YsVIII?

I mean, the bath scene was pretty cringey but that's all it was. I hope we don't start forgetting what "rape" actually means (which would be rather offensive).

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Very nice to see a new numbered Ys game so soon. Usually they alternate between a new game and a remake. I'm fine either way.

I am maybe 3/4 of the way through VIII. Will finish it soon I think, got distracted by other games like The Last Remnant.

Falcom really needs to invest into UE4 or something. This looks like a vita port.

I think Falcom is developing games with the goal of turning a profit from the japanese market alone. Wouldn't Falcom lose more money if they started to develop with UE4 and later only selling ~100k during week 1 in Japan which is what their games tend to sell?

Last edited:

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I only hope that Falcom is already developing an engine for the PS5.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
Fantastic news. Ys VIII was my favorite in the franchise so I have huge hopes for this new one. Really curious how they try to evolve the party based Ys formula.

Just, please, improve the storytelling. Ys Origin and Ys VI Ark of Naphitism have relatively simple, but satisfying stories. They just need to do that sort of thing on a larger game/narrative. It's a bit deflating how such an oustanding game as Ys VIII ends up feeling a tad empty due to how poor the main storyline ends up being by the end.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Wanted to get into the series but I was completely turned off on how bad DANA looked. This doesn't look much better.
You probably want to check out Felghana or Origins then, since their artstyle has aged better. They're phenomenal games too, which helps.

That said, you're zipping around so quickly in Ys that you don't really notice the visuals in that sense.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Ys 8 was part of the trifecta of amazing 2017 JRPGs with Berseria and P5. I can't wait. Hopefully the wait won't be as long this time for the west.

I also hope they ignore that stupid ass "twist" from 8, which they likely will.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
Hopefully with late generation ps3 graphics at least

Edit so graphics are still bad can Sony just help them with that pls

Last edited:

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me that I have to play Ys 8. Where does it rank both in terms of the overall series and amongst the 3D/post-VII Ys games?

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the current title can be really clumsy, but kind of valid Latin if the intended meaning is "a monster that is night itself".

Example (Plautus Amph. 1070): Atque illam geminos filios pueros peperisse conspicor.
Literal translation: And I see that she has given birth to twin sons, boys.

Two nouns in the accusative case sitting right next to each other, with no conjunction. It's not a list of different items. Filii and pueri refer to the same beings here, and one of the nouns acts like an attribute of the other one.

While it is true that they could be in apposition as you suggest - like saying "Cicero consul (est)" - traditionally they'd be in the same gender, as filios and pueros are in your example. I'd be more comfortable with using belua instead of monstrum as a result, although monstrum is such an ambiguous word (I'm certain I've read more than one article about its use to describe Pallas's baldrick in Aeneid X!) I guess we just don't know what it's supposed to mean.

This actually bothers me less than "Lacrimosa of Dana" did; lacrimosa is not a noun......

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

Mild "Is this coming to platform X" or "have they talked about any ports?" isn't anything that is going to get you banned. "WHY AREN'T THE CUNTS AT SEGA BRINGING BAYONETTA 2 TO PS4 & XB1?!?! RAAAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!11!11111!1!!!!" whining is.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

Changing engines won't change how the game looks. Falcom gets away with what they're doing by carefully budgeting. They're an AA studio who self publish. They need to put out something new a year to survive.

Oct 27, 2017
Ys VIII was a vast improvement over the bad Seven and Celceta and was legit one of, if not that, best Ys games.

Here's hoping VIII wasnt a fluke