• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
VI is fine. The bosses aren't anything special but I enjoyed the dungeons and overworld a lot compared to other games in the series.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I'm probably the only person in the world who actually enjoyed exploring the Limewater Cave.

OP
OP
Pasokon Deacon
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Limewater Cave's a great dungeon. Granted, I got used to the labyrinths in Ys II pretty quick (not so much the truly convoluted ones in Dawn of Ys), so maybe I just figure out these dungeons quicker.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Finally broke down and bought viii, pretty fun little game. Vastly prefer Origin and IV to it though.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Alright, finished Ys Seven on Nightmare with no healing in boss fights (as it should be). Surprisingly, I didn't mind the party stuff as much as I thought I would. I still think I prefer solo adventures, but the party things and SP system added some interesting depth that I wasn't expecting. Focusing your SP usage on characters with powerful skills and accessories while building up sp on another one was quite fun to do. By the end I was swapping between characters like mad. I do find it somewhat annoying that your party members can take damage while you aren't controlling them and that they become effectively useless when their hp drops to 1 while you aren't controlling them. This was more of a problem on some bosses and less on others.

The dungeons were good, but the sanctums were quite a bit longer than they needed to be imo. Guess they wanted to give you some time to farm up soul crystals for the final weapons. Requiring every party member on the final boss caught me very unprepared. Especially when I reached him at level 55 ish... I did have to take some time to farm up more materials for weapons and armor to beat him. So I ended up at avg level 59-60 on everyone.

Favorite bosses in no particular order were:
The bird
Moon Dragon
Final Boss
Scias

Music was amazing as always. Especially loved the dynamic music in the moon dragon fight as the phases changed. For that reason I think this was my overall favorite boss. Final boss theme was sick too.

Story was pretty basic but that's definitely not why I'm playing this. It got in the way a bit more than I hoped, but not a huge deal.

I'll be playing MoC next when it comes out on PC, maybe not right away. How does it compare to Seven? I have to say I'm pretty excited for the boss rush mode and unlocked framerate.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Celceta is a bit better in the gameplay department. Has some cool lore stuff tying into Ys VI and there's more room for exploration.

Party members are unfortunately almost entirely forgettable. Which is something they vastly improved in VIII.

futurememory

Oct 27, 2017
So I booted up Ys I, and is it true that I can't remap movement to WASD and have to use the arrow keys? Also there's no mouse support at all and random keys like "Z" exit menus and such.

My copy is from GOG.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
So I booted up Ys I, and is it true that I can't remap movement to WASD and have to use the arrow keys? Also there's no mouse support at all and random keys like "Z" exit menus and such.

My copy is from GOG.

I didn't play it on GOG but there should be a separate configuration exe that lets you adjust settings. You can change to WASD and rebind any other keys there. Although there's no mouse support.

futurememory

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't play it on GOG but there should be a separate configuration exe that lets you adjust settings. You can change to WASD and rebind any other keys there. Although there's no mouse support.

Thanks, friend! I was going a bit insane with the arrow keys. I died pretty instantly out on the field due to the hand set-up. The game seems pretty charming, though!

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I heard that while you can rebind most keys, the movement keys are locked down to three fixed templates; WASD, the Arrow keys or the numpad and there's no way to change them to more personal preferences. (a console remnant that's unfortunately not uncommon in some of the more unrefined PC ports) It's possible they've changed it by now, but last time I heard you can't freely remap movement keys.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little torned with Celceta

In one hand, I had a great time with it on my vita, but also I think that the game isn't that good, specially after playing Lacrimosa of Dana that trumps this game in every single department.

But also, I have good memories with it, and I'm curious on how much this game will improve with better framerate and a bigger screen, but I don't feel like playing it again

Erpy

May 31, 2018
In that case, wait for a day or two to read reviews to see if it's not an accidental trainwreck like Ys VIII, buy it to boost XSeed's sales figures and spend an hour or two playing around with it just to see the improved framerate and how it handles on PC, then drop it and tell yourself you played your part in promoting Ys on PC in the west.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little torned with Celceta

In one hand, I had a great time with it on my vita, but also I think that the game isn't that good, specially after playing Lacrimosa of Dana that trumps this game in every single department.

But also, I have good memories with it, and I'm curious on how much this game will improve with better framerate and a bigger screen, but I don't feel like playing it again
Play for the music in a version that doesnt run like shit :P

futurememory

Oct 27, 2017
Still playing Ys I, and man, is it just a joy once you get into the rhythms of it. Completely and utterly cozy and charming, while having some really fast and fun gameplay.

I'm actually enjoying the smaller scope of the game as well. There's just a lot of character and heart.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
DkccIebUYAA0zGs.jpg

Hey Brian, remember that time when we got stranded in an island inhabited by Ancient Species and a Big Hole?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Congratulations Ys Community, you're the new community spotlight!

Now carry on the word on how the series is absolutely never supposed to be typed as Y's

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty much in a state of shock with how good VIII turned out after not really enjoying Seven and Celceta all that much. I thought modern Ys just wasn't for me, but clearly that wasn't the case, VIII's pretty handily my second favorite in the series behind Felghana.

Really though, you could tell the game would be something special as soon as you booted it up:

God what an amazing intro song.

On a completely unrelated note, I wish more RPGs did the bump combat from classic Ys, I think there's a lot of potential for 2D battle systems that are completely positional-based like that, but unfortunately not too many other games approach combat in that way. One that I really enjoyed from earlier this year was Artifact Adventure Gaiden (Steam page here) which is worth checking out for classic Ys fans. It's sidescrolling combat rather than top-down, but it plays similarly (worth checking out for Zelda II fans as well).

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was pretty much in a state of shock with how good VIII turned out after not really enjoying Seven and Celceta all that much. I thought modern Ys just wasn't for me, but clearly that wasn't the case, VIII's pretty handily my second favorite in the series behind Felghana.

Really though, you could tell the game would be something special as soon as you booted it up:

On a completely unrelated note, I wish more RPGs did the bump combat from classic Ys, I think there's a lot of potential for 2D battle systems that are completely positional-based like that, but unfortunately not too many other games approach combat in that way. One that I really enjoyed from earlier this year was Artifact Adventure Gaiden (Steam page here) which is worth checking out for classic Ys fans. It's sidescrolling combat rather than top-down, but it plays similarly (worth checking out for Zelda II fans as well).

When I first played the game on my ps4 pro I stared at the intro for 15 minutes, between the music, the title screen and the Intro Video, I knew that I was going to enjoy it

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
I beat Ys I&II this year and enjoyed them II much more. Really need to get back to it because I really wanna play VIII but I wanna play at least all the other localized titles in order first. Have Ys VI installed on my PC but it was acting weird with my PS4 controller so I need to get that sorted.

OP
OP
Pasokon Deacon
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Definitely get into Ys VI once you have that gamepad problem sorted out. It remains one of the more underrated Ys games, especially now that Ys VIII's become the more relevant shipwreck-island game.

On a completely unrelated note, I wish more RPGs did the bump combat from classic Ys, I think there's a lot of potential for 2D battle systems that are completely positional-based like that, but unfortunately not too many other games approach combat in that way.
We really deserve a revival of games like late-era Hydlide or the Xak series, just with a lot more polish and content. Falcom did a good job of displacing those IPs back in the day thanks to their aggressive licensing deal with Hudson Soft, bringing Ys to the PC Engine CD before the others. A more in-depth bump combat system would also make for an interesting new Ys game, maybe a 3D remake of Ys I & II when the time comes.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We really deserve a revival of games like late-era Hydlide or the Xak series, just with a lot more polish and content. Falcom did a good job of displacing those IPs back in the day thanks to their aggressive licensing deal with Hudson Soft, bringing Ys to the PC Engine CD before the others. A more in-depth bump combat system would also make for an interesting new Ys game, maybe a 3D remake of Ys I & II when the time comes.

What's the story behind the deals that Falcom did back in the day that displaced those other RPG?

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always torn between this and Castlevania being my favourite series ever... I freaking LOVE Ys, but I could say the same for Castlevania...

And I didn't even know they ported Ys IV for PC... damn, now I can sell my Vita, finally.

BTW, is Ys 8 fixed on PC or they are still working on it?

OP
OP
Pasokon Deacon
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Ys VIII's mostly fixed, but very unlikely to see updates now that the Steam rating's swinging back upward. NISA also cares infinitely more about the Switch release. Celceta on Steam's still getting patches, the most recent fixing some of the most surprising problems, so I'd try that for now.

What's the story behind the deals that Falcom did back in the day that displaced those other RPG?
Just my industry speculation. Xak III made it to PC Engine CD late in that platform's lifecycle and, after Super Hydlide (and other ports of Hydlide 3), we only got the laff-tastic Virtua Hydlide instead of a new game.

Everyone here who likes bump combat should try the Fairune games on 3DS/Switch. They're closer to classic Hydlide than Ys or Xak, so much less fluid combat here, but the puzzles, world design, and pacing are superb. I love how effortlessly they combine old-school tropes and design with modern polish.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
I think we've had soft confirmation that Ys VIII isn't getting any more patches on PC outside of anything significant changing (Like, I dunno, an update outside the game that breaks everything for everyone). Currently, from what I understand the best way to approach the PC port is to try it, see if it runs easily, and if it doesn't immediately get a refund.
...Or just play it on PS4 since it's largely pretty good there.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations Ys Community, you're the new community spotlight!

Now carry on the word on how the series is absolutely never supposed to be typed as Y's
I would propose as a compromise between the no-apostrophe and the apostrophe proponents: The Two Apostrophe Solution. Y's'
As everyone in the fanbase will hate this new solution equally, it will allow us to come together as a community and heal the division this needless debate has caused. After all, aren't we all here to enjoy playing and talking about the great Y's' games?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Microcabin (Xak) still exists and is actually around the same size as Falcom (49 employees). Marvelous used to own them but sold them to Fields Corp and now they work on developing pachinko machines.

T&E Soft (Hydlide) closed about a decade ago. The company assets and IP are owned/managed by Daikokuya Global now.

It's sad but Falcom is really one of the last ones standing from the great 80s computer devs in Japan still making console/PC games along with Systemsoft, Artdink and Kogado. Can't think of anyone else atm but there might be a couple more.

Fairune 1 is also on Vita, iOS and Android for those interested. And the Fairune Collection is on Steam too. It's a great little throwback series.

My dream would be if Xseed could somehow work out a deal with Konami and Hudson to get the four PCE Ys games on Steam/consoles, maybe even in a collection.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ys VIII's mostly fixed, but very unlikely to see updates now that the Steam rating's swinging back upward. NISA also cares infinitely more about the Switch release. Celceta on Steam's still getting patches, the most recent fixing some of the most surprising problems, so I'd try that for now.

Just my industry speculation. Xak III made it to PC Engine CD late in that platform's lifecycle and, after Super Hydlide (and other ports of Hydlide 3), we only got the laff-tastic Virtua Hydlide instead of a new game.

Everyone here who likes bump combat should try the Fairune games on 3DS/Switch. They're closer to classic Hydlide than Ys or Xak, so much less fluid combat here, but the puzzles, world design, and pacing are superb. I love how effortlessly they combine old-school tropes and design with modern polish.

Watched a video of Fairune, the graphics and sound were great, but the bump combat didn't convince me, since it felt that the heroince just steamrolled on the minions without getting hurt, to the point that you don't even know why they were there

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Watched a video of Fairune, the graphics and sound were great, but the bump combat didn't convince me, since it felt that the heroince just steamrolled on the minions without getting hurt, to the point that you don't even know why they were there
Fairune's pretty strict in leveling vs enemies. It's simplified too, basically almost every new enemy type demands a level up before you can take them without damage.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Always wanted to post here, and the CS reminded my lazy ass what I have forgotren to do. So yeah, I'm a series newcomer, and am starting with Chronicles on Android. Its not a bad exoeriemce with touch controls, but the speed difference between walk and run is hilarious. This is gonna be a loooong playthrough till I get used to everything.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017

as soon as i started it up for the first time my wife couldnt get over how similar it sounded to this song from anastasia

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
as soon as i started it up for the first time my wife couldnt get over how similar it sounded to this song from anastasia

It really is. I guess MOTHER 3's Love Theme is from Beauty and the Beast, so it's in good company; though this just seems like it's in a very similar mould rather than directly quoting it.

Kind of thematically appropriate, actually.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I am almost done with YSVIII and the more I think, the more I enjoyed Adol's solo games, not feeling the party mechanic.
Also I feel like YSVIII has oretty weak OST compared to previous games, only Boss Theme 1 (Deadly Tempt.) and Mountain Theme were stand outs.

Still a good game which I enjoyed.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I am almost done with YSVIII and the more I think, the more I enjoyed Adol's solo games, not feeling the party mechanic.
Also I feel like YSVIII has oretty weak OST compared to previous games, only Boss Theme 1 (Deadly Tempt.) and Mountain Theme were stand outs.

Still a good game which I enjoyed.

Have you done Dana's dungeon?

Josh Fichter

Dec 11, 2017
St. Louis
I just finished Ys VIII on Switch and loved every minute of it. I had a lot of fun exploring the island and finding the different castaways and secrets. Thought the story and soundtrack were great as well. Now I'm starting a LP of Memories of Celceta on my YT channel, looking forward to playing through it again!

vegohead

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope we get older Ys games rereleased on switch. I'll give 7 and the vita game a chance if they come as a remaster.