• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I personally didn't have any fun with the game. Every moment of it felt like pulling teeth, from the poor hit detection, to the terrible, I mean absolutely terrible platforming. Who the hell thought that forcing a dash jump to a pixel perfect square hidden behind stairs to reach an item was a good idea, when the platforming wasn't that precise? To no warping ability, having to run through half the world to go back and forth between areas. If it was a game outside of the Ys series I wouldn't have finished it. I probably also just don't care for that engine though. I know I'm not the a-typical Ys fan as I don't get the level of love and affection that Origins seems to get online. Its ok, but its nowhere's near being one of the best games in the series.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think Napishtim is held back a lot by the gameplay, it's definitely rough compared to Oath and Origin. PC version at least adds warping, and Catastrophe mode is interesting (but IIRC opens up an early exploit). Napishtim does more with the story than maybe any Ys game until Seven, but that's not why I played Ys.

Origin is my favorite Ys game though, and I find Seven and Celceta to be very forgettable. Can't speak for 8 because I doubt I'll ever play it due to NISA's bungling.

I asked Pasokon Deacon on Twitter but I'll ask here, anyone have the Falcom Music Collection/Kanchi midi version of Samsara and Paramnesia? I have the mp3 version but I'm looking for the original midi.

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I asked Pasokon Deacon on Twitter but I'll ask here, anyone have the Falcom Music Collection/Kanchi midi version of Samsara and Paramnesia? I have the mp3 version but I'm looking for the original midi.
Huh, I checked my files and I'm missing the midi file too. Have the mp3, but no midi.

RLDCiM4.png

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Because it's better in every single aspect... also no Dark Fact

I love Dark Fact, it was cool when I discovered how to beat him in nightmare, to the point that I inmediately played the boss rush and defeated him at the first time.

The only terrible boss there was Vaguillon.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Napishtim is not a bad game, the other three Ys games I played were just better comparably. Ys I and II are comparable, with II edging out I in most aspects a little. Yet since the endboss for the first game is bugged on my PC setup, I'll always think of II as a miles better game. For now Oath is the pinnacle of Ys gaming, although this might change in the future when I get to play more of the series.

Xanadu Next is great so far, having a blast!

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I finally started Napishtim. Decided to do a Nightmare and Catastrophe blind run, how hard is this game?

So far I find those glowing enemies to be incredible annoying, while also one of the dumbest ideas that I had ever seen.

Also, I heard that you need to master Dash Jump in order to reach some platafforms, but so far I don't know if I'm doing it right, or how I should do it

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Napishtim can be kinda difficult in a different way than Felghana. It was the first game using that particular engine and Falcom was still figuring out what did and did not work. So difficulty can be somewhat uneven in that you're working your way through a section no problem and then suddenly a boss shows up who suddenly slaughters you through a combination of attacks with unexpectedly high damage values and janky hitboxes. One particular boss pretty much requires you to upgrade one of your swords to a certain level in order to stand a chance to beat it.

You're usually best off avoiding the glowing enemies until you have the sword needed to do normal damage to them. From that point on you might actually warm up to them since glowing enemies are guaranteed to drop several pieces of emelas.

The dash jump isn't THAT hard to execute if you've executed special attacks in Ys Origin before. (the ones that allow you to lower enemies' defense) You face a direction, tap that direction, wait half a second and then press both jump and attack. You'll probably know when you did it right.

Nightmare and Catastrophe can be a pretty vicious combination, though I'd argue that later on Nightmare and non-Catastrophe can be harder. In Catastrophe Mode, you want to use one of the Capla Waters you find in a chest to get the emelas mallet from the bar in Port Rimorge early on, so you can boost the emelas drop rate from the get-go and upgrade your swords earlier. If you want to cheese stuff, you can sell other Capla Waters in order to buy mid-game armor early on. OR you can hoard the Capla Waters, wait until you buy out the store in Port Rimorge and get the sell-high perk for the shopkeeper's brother outside and THEN sell them all for maximum profit. The nice thing about Catastrophe Mode is that while experience scaling means gaining levels eventually takes forever, the ability to buy strength and defense seeds means you'll be able still raise your attack and defense stats in a linear fashion. (don't bother with life seeds, they're too expensive on Nightmare)

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Napishtim can be kinda difficult in a different way than Felghana. It was the first game using that particular engine and Falcom was still figuring out what did and did not work. So difficulty can be somewhat uneven in that you're working your way through a section no problem and then suddenly a boss shows up who suddenly slaughters you through a combination of attacks with unexpectedly high damage values and janky hitboxes. One particular boss pretty much requires you to upgrade one of your swords to a certain level in order to stand a chance to beat it.

You're usually best off avoiding the glowing enemies until you have the sword needed to do normal damage to them. From that point on you might actually warm up to them since glowing enemies are guaranteed to drop several pieces of emelas.

The dash jump isn't THAT hard to execute if you've executed special attacks in Ys Origin before. (the ones that allow you to lower enemies' defense) You face a direction, tap that direction, wait half a second and then press both jump and attack. You'll probably know when you did it right.

Nightmare and Catastrophe can be a pretty vicious combination, though I'd argue that later on Nightmare and non-Catastrophe can be harder. In Catastrophe Mode, you want to use one of the Capla Waters you find in a chest to get the emelas mallet from the bar in Port Rimorge early on, so you can boost the emelas drop rate from the get-go and upgrade your swords earlier. If you want to cheese stuff, you can sell other Capla Waters in order to buy mid-game armor early on. OR you can hoard the Capla Waters, wait until you buy out the store in Port Rimorge and get the sell-high perk for the shopkeeper's brother outside and THEN sell them all for maximum profit. The nice thing about Catastrophe Mode is that while experience scaling means gaining levels eventually takes forever, the ability to buy strength and defense seeds means you'll be able still raise your attack and defense stats in a linear fashion. (don't bother with life seeds, they're too expensive on Nightmare)

Is like this?

btw anyone knows how to upload clips directly from pc to xbox.com using the xbox guide button?

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't look right to me, unless I'm remembering it wrong.

Dash jump isn't super important in a normal game because you only need it to access like two treasure chests and the optional post-game boss, IIRC. I never bothered with it. It's probably more valuable in catastrophe mode, especially on harder difficulties, since the loot is better.

And yeah, Napishtim's difficulty always felt more like it came from wonky stuff rather than proper challenge. I will always hate that stupid wall boss, it's hitboxes are way bigger than they look and stay active for way longer than you expect.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Best master the timing of the regular dash (lunge?) attack, then just append the jump part afterwards.
*Tap forward, immediately followed by attack*
If Adol goes into forward momentum while slashing, you're doing it right.
With the same quick timing, add the jump after pressing attack.
The hardest part of the dash jump is just aiming the damn thing, there's little room to maneuver once you're in the air and it's easy to second-guess your target and miss. Also sticking the landing can be tricky since you still have a little momentum after landing but it's usually within a single tile's width.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I'll move my Memories of Celceta talk here. I started this on steam Monday and I'm loving it so far. Just hit around 45% map exploration progress and finished the Sparda lair dungeon. The exploration/map design is a lot more interesting than the previous games in the series, so that's nice. From what I have read, Ys VIII is also like this? The combat is just as fun as VII so far. Can't wait to unlock more powerful skills so I can get back to character swapping and popping them all at once again. That was really fun towards the end of VII. I like flash dodging, especially when executing it after a flash guard (a term they have dubbed Simulflash it seems). The skill unlocking system seems way less cumbersome this time around since it's not tied to the weapon until you "learn" it.

Weapon reinforcement seems overly complex and not even necessary at all from the small amount of time I've spent with it so far. The status effects I've played around with so far range from negligible (poison) to actively hurting you (paralysis). Heal on armor seems crazy good for dungeons as well as absorption on weapons. I have noticed some weapons have a status effect and a percentage displayed next to it. What exactly does that mean and how does it differ from the status effect stats that are improved via reinforcement?

The story seems less interesting and lower stakes so far, but maybe that will change as I progress. The bosses have been mostly forgettable and on the easy side so far even when playing on nightmare no healing items, so that's sort of a bummer. Hopefully that changes at some point. As always with Ys games, I can't put it down so I'll probably be at the end by this weekend.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I actually liked Ys Seven's "equip this weapon and use its skill 10 times to learn it for real"-system more than Celceta's "fight monsters and you might randomly learn a new skill"-system. Fortunately, Celceta's skills have way lower maximum levels and you don't need to hold down the attack button to charge attacks anymore, so training up new skills is actually doable this time around.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I actually liked Ys Seven's "equip this weapon and use its skill 10 times to learn it for real"-system more than Celceta's "fight monsters and you might randomly learn a new skill"-system. Fortunately, Celceta's skills have way lower maximum levels and you don't need to hold down the attack button to charge attacks anymore, so training up new skills is actually doable this time around.
I do like how fast they seem to max out for sure.

Last edited:

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks to everyone in this thread, now I finally """mastered""" the dash jump

Psxphile advice opened my eyes, the best tip is to practice the regular dash attack to understand the input and timing, and then add the jump

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I made it to Sanctuary of storms, starting to feel a bit underleveled at level 20-21, but I'll keep going until I hit a wall. The story is picking up a bit finally since I hit the highlands village.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Well this is my fight against the first boss of YS VI Wandering Calamity in (Nightmare/Catastrophe)

So far my main 2 concerns after this fight are

1) I don't know how to improve my DPS, the techniques that I used against the small minions didn't work here.
2) I'm not sure which are the defensive options that I had in this game, in Lacrimosa I could Parry, Dodge or use specials to cheese out damage, but here I don't know if after unlocking the special attacks I would have some option to avoid damage.

Also, the corpse damaging you is bullshit

Erpy

May 31, 2018

Well this is my fight against the first boss of YS VI Wandering Calamity in (Nightmare/Catastrophe)

So far my main 2 concerns after this fight are

1) I don't know how to improve my DPS, the techniques that I used against the small minions didn't work here.
2) I'm not sure which are the defensive options that I had in this game, in Lacrimosa I could Parry, Dodge or use specials to cheese out damage, but here I don't know if after unlocking the special attacks I would have some option to avoid damage.

Also, the corpse damaging you is bullshit

1) Just hacking away is probably the best you can do this early in the game. Later on, each of the swords you collect get one "special attack" (one of them involving timing additional presses of the attack button JUST right after your main combo ends, one of them involving holding down the attack button until it goes off and one of them being a finisher after finishing a long barrage of quick thrust attacks) after upgrading them for a bit and one "super attack". (using a dedicated button) For the most part, damage is simply done by hacking stuff up or down-thrusting it.

2) Is Lacrimosa the only Ys game you've played before? Oath in Felghana and Origin both give you a defensive option through an attack that has i-frames, but in Ark of Napishtim your only real defensive option is jumping over, jumping away from or running away from attacks. Pretty much what you've been doing in the video.

3) What were you doing hacking up the poor defenseless boss further after you already drained its HP to 0? Hoping for some hidden overkill bonus?

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
1) Just hacking away is probably the best you can do this early in the game. Later on, each of the swords you collect get one "special attack" (one of them involving timing additional presses of the attack button JUST right after your main combo ends, one of them involving holding down the attack button until it goes off and one of them being a finisher after finishing a long barrage of quick thrust attacks) after upgrading them for a bit and one "super attack". (using a dedicated button) For the most part, damage is simply done by hacking stuff up or down-thrusting it.

2) Is Lacrimosa the only Ys game you've played before? Oath in Felghana and Origin both give you a defensive option through an attack that has i-frames, but in Ark of Napishtim your only real defensive option is jumping over, jumping away from or running away from attacks. Pretty much what you've been doing in the video.

3) What were you doing hacking up the poor defenseless boss further after you already drained its HP to 0? Hoping for some hidden overkill bonus?

2) I have beaten 1,2, Celceta and Lacrimosa of Dana. This is the first time that I'm going to try beating VI/Felghana/Origin in that order

3) Nah just screwing around with the defeated boss for fun

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Jeez, Ys:MoC just kinda... ends? The 2 final bosses were extremely forgettable and super easy and there's basically no falling action at all. That's pretty disappointing. Oh well, game was pretty fun overall, just not what I've come to expect out of a Ys finale.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Jeez, Ys:MoC just kinda... ends? The 2 final bosses were extremely forgettable and super easy and there's basically no falling action at all. That's pretty disappointing. Oh well, game was pretty fun overall, just not what I've come to expect out of a Ys finale.
they could have re-established that these games are based on journals a lot better. I understand what they're going for in that regard but it was sloppy.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gah, I've fallen into the Ys rabbit hole again.
I still haven't touched any modern entry, except Ys I & II Chronicles, if that counts. I'm a bit obsessed with beating the older episodes before I even touch Ys VI.
So far I've finished Ys I & II on Steam, Wanderers from Ys on Genesis and PCEngine (that was two or three years ago and this morning I started the Snes version o.o), and Ys IV - Dawn of Ys thanks to Pasokon Deacon who gave me his save last year after I lost mine:
All I have is a battery save from my Dawn of Ys playthrough, here. This may or may not get you what you want, but it might have a pre-final boss save or earlier. This should run in Mednafen, hopefully not restricted to whatever version I used.
That was a huge relief, thanks again :p

And now I think I'm gonna try an older version of Ys I & II. Are the PC-8000 versions good? Achievements have recently been added for this version on RetroAchievements so it's a nice incentive for me.

I miss big ass pauldrons :/
maxresdefault.jpg
Samus Aran: I've got the biggest shoulder pads in the galaxy
Arem: hold my beer
vOOSqeT.png

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Is funny how the ending was basically all the members from your party returned to their home planet. The End.

In that regard, YS VIII did a much better job giving some kind of closure to your party. I really love the credits scene of that game

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Gah, I've fallen into the Ys rabbit hole again.
I still haven't touched any modern entry, except Ys I & II Chronicles, if that counts. I'm a bit obsessed with beating the older episodes before I even touch Ys VI.
So far I've finished Ys I & II on Steam, Wanderers from Ys on Genesis and PCEngine (that was two or three years ago and this morning I started the Snes version o.o), and Ys IV - Dawn of Ys thanks to Pasokon Deacon who gave me his save last year after I lost mine:

That was a huge relief, thanks again :p

And now I think I'm gonna try an older version of Ys I & II. Are the PC-8000 versions good? Achievements have recently been added for this version on RetroAchievements so it's a nice incentive for me.

Samus Aran: I've got the biggest shoulder pads in the galaxy
Arem: hold my beer
vOOSqeT.png

If you're going to play an older version of Ys I and II may I recommend the PC Engine one. It's got kick ass music, and it basically combines them into one game with a continuous story. Which they really are, its a nice touch.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you're going to play an older version of Ys I and II may I recommend the PC Engine one. It's got kick ass music, and it basically combines them into one game with a continuous story. Which they really are, its a nice touch.
Yeah I guess it would easily be the best one among the old versions. Plus, it's in english I think? So that helps.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll come back to the older I & II versions later, I wanted some "new" stuff.
So, I've beat Ys V, and I... liked it, despite its flaws. Just completely ignore the magic system, for starters. Some music tracks were pretty good even if it's your classic run of the mill J-rpg soundtrack and not the usual Ys craziness. Best part was the story and some of the characters imo (I liked the family of thieves, and Stoker was cool). Some areas looked great too, I just love Snes sprites and tiles.

Gonna start Ark of Naphitism now, but I noticed the vibration doesn't work, even though there's a Vibration Test in the config tool. I tested with my Xbox One and PS4 controller but no luck. That's a shame, I like my rumble.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking the construct boss in Origins was impossible, took me ages to realise you can completely block his punch attacks with the hammer move.. found him a lot easier than the centipede after that

Not sure how it compares to the older games but I've found it much harder than either 7 or Celceta

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I was thinking the construct boss in Origins was impossible, took me ages to realise you can completely block his punch attacks with the hammer move.. found him a lot easier than the centipede after that

Not sure how it compares to the older games but I've found it much harder than either 7 or Celceta

Well, Origin requires you to complete the entire boss fight on a single health bar with no way to heal, so if a boss has an attack you have no clue how to deal with, you're not gonna win.

And if you think badly of yourself for not realizing each character has a skill with i-frames, I actually recall a Let's Player who went through the entire game without realizing he had the ability to swap skills in-battle until he got stuck on the final boss, looked up advice online and promptly facepalmed himself. XD

Deleted member 59

Ys VIII is on sale for PC atm, I've heard mixed things about the PC port. Anyone want to advise me whether i should go for it?

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Ys VIII is on sale for PC atm, I've heard mixed things about the PC port. Anyone want to advise me whether i should go for it?

You'll probably know within the refund period whether the game will work decently or constantly crash on your system.

Apparently it is better than at launch, just not exactly fixed.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm about half way though Ys V and I don't understand why it has such a bad reputation. The combat and levelling is a lot slower than the earlier games, but I think it's more interesting and paced better than Ys III and Mask of the Sun

Where is it on sale?

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm about half way though Ys V and I don't understand why it has such a bad reputation. The combat and levelling is a lot slower than the earlier games, but I think it's more interesting and paced better than Ys III and Mask of the Sun

Where is it on sale?
GMG, $36 with the WB25 code.

Maybe once it gets to around half that I'll buy it. Maybe.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
It's being rumoured that Ys IX Adol might have a different hair color?

Adol the Beige incoming?

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I finished Ys V. I liked it enough, but it would be so much better if the boss fights were more interesting. They were all so boring, it was a real let down

My current ranking goes:

Ys I
Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys
Ys II
Ys V
Ys III
Ys IV: Mask of the Sun

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I finished Ys VI and I liked it a lot. I used a FAQ for the back half so that I didn't miss some stuff (and I'm glad I did because a lot of the items are downright cryptic to get) and skipped the last two optional bosses because I was just ready to be done, but I liked the story a lot and the way it tied together a lot of the previous game's lore. And the Ibur gang from V are some of the most fun characters in the series so far, so it was cool to see Terra again. The Ark itself was really cool aethestically even tho I thought the final boss fight was pretty underwhelming

Anyway my ranking is this now:

Ys I (PC, Chronicles+)
Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys (PC Engine)
Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim (PC)
Ys II (PC, Chronicles+)
Ys V (SNES)
Ys III (SNES)
Ys IV: Mask of the Sun (SNES)

I started playing these at the start of the month so it's been *a lot* of Ys. I was worried I'd be sick of it by now, but I can't wait to play Oath