• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
If I have Ys VIII on the vita, should I go for it on Ps4 (I haven't completed it and didnt get fare in the Vita version)?

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 version has more content, runs at a better framerate, better visuals, higher resolution, its pretty much a no brainer.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hm I'm not sure if I'm feeling Ys Origin. I love the mechanics, but that goes without saying. My problem is that it's all indoors apparently. I got to the 2nd area today and while they changed the color palette up a bit, I wish they'd gone crazier on the art direction of the tower.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Floor designs get more fantastic as you go up, though they're still typically "indoors". It won't be just palette changes.

The original incarnation of Darm Tower in Ys 1 was much more bland, at least until you got to the mirror floor.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I ended up enjoying my later session a lot. Maybe I was just not in the mood initially. The series is so good.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
So last sales report for ys viii was 600k world wide. 500k in 2018.

Switch sales seems to be around 100k or so probably?

If so, then this should actually make them focus on switch a lot, it sold 100k out of 600k total after 2 years when originally released is huge tbh its big boost.

If a I were them I would make sure the budget for the new game focuses on switch.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
So last sales report for ys viii was 600k world wide. 500k in 2018.

Switch sales seems to be around 100k or so probably?

If so, then this should actually make them focus on switch a lot, it sold 100k out of 600k total after 2 years when originally released is huge tbh its big boost.

If a I were them I would make sure the budget for the new game focuses on switch.
609611873553350672.png

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ys Origin is so fucking good I played it three times and enjoyed it the most on my third playthrough.

Still gotta play Ark and Ys VII then finally Ys VIII before I'm caught up.
Yeah, I loved all the games so far.

- Ys I
- Ys II

- Ys: Origin (WIP)
- Ys: The Oath in Felghana
- Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim
- Ys: Memories of Celceta
- Ys VII
- Ys VIII

Do we expect a western Ys 9 release in 2019?

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017

- Ys I
- Ys II

- Ys VII
- Ys VIII

Maybe towards the end of the year if anything. Falcom doesn't even think about western localizations before the game is actually out and I'm sure they're getting super busy between finalizing the game's release and getting ready for TGS.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're setting yourself up for disappoint if you expect a Ys 9 IX release in the US in 2019. We don't even have confirmation of it coming here yet, which we probably won't get till it ships in Japan. I would think early 2020 is the EARLIEST we can hope for.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

- Ys I
- Ys II

- Ys VII
- Ys VIII

Oh no you played oath and origin before ark, you have doomed yourself to bitter rage when you get around to it now

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God damn, I'm already at the last boss after 7:30h. I loved this game. I think I'm gonna pad my time with it by hunting some trophies like completing the monster compendium and farming SP and XP. Not sure if I want to replay the game with different characters though. Origin is quite a bit shorter and easier than The Oath in Felghana as far as I can tell. I think I enjoy Origin more.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
God damn, I'm already at the last boss after 7:30h. I loved this game. I think I'm gonna pad my time with it by hunting some trophies like completing the monster compendium and farming SP and XP. Not sure if I want to replay the game with different characters though. Origin is quite a bit shorter and easier than The Oath in Felghana as far as I can tell. I think I enjoy Origin more.
which character did you do? i definitely recommend doing a run with the third at least, it is the canon route and explains a lot more

Erpy

May 31, 2018
If you're gonna complete the monster compendium, you'll have no choice but to play through all routes since each route has different bosses near the end of the game. The third character has several different bosses at the start too.

And yeah, Origin is truckloads of fun. Aside from the different routes, there's also the arena's and boss rushes, which you can also play as the Adols once you unlock them.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Since gameplay is usually more important than story in Ys, playing the games in release order is probably the most enjoyable experience since the series is divided into three "sub-series" which all share the same gameplay. There's the "bumpercar" series that encompasses Ys I and II. There's the "solo hack and slash" series that covers Ark of Napishtim, Oath in Felghana and Origin. And there's the "party" series that contains Seven, Memories of Celceta and Lacrimosa of Dana. At the start of each sub-series, the system is usually a little rough around the edges and Falcom refines the gameplay as the sub-series goes on.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Since gameplay is usually more important than story in Ys, playing the games in release order is probably the most enjoyable experience since the series is divided into three "sub-series" which all share the same gameplay. There's the "bumpercar" series that encompasses Ys I and II. There's the "solo hack and slash" series that covers Ark of Napishtim, Oath in Felghana and Origin. And there's the "party" series that contains Seven, Memories of Celceta and Lacrimosa of Dana. At the start of each sub-series, the system is usually a little rough around the edges and Falcom refines the gameplay as the sub-series goes on.
While I own most of them on PC, I've only ever played Ys I&II and III on TG16.
I'll stick with release order as it seemed best for now.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
While I own most of them on PC, I've only ever played Ys I&II and III on TG16.
I'll stick with release order as it seemed best for now.
Release order is the best way yes, the gameplay evolves more organically with two jumps in style (napishtim and seven both start a new version) and the lore is set up more organically, this makes some differences with understanding things especially regarding the eldeen lore

if you're in doubt release order is 1>2>Napishtim>Oath>Origin>Seven>Celceta>Lacrimosa>monstrum nox
numerical order would origin>1>2>oath>celceta>lacrimosa>napishtim>seven>monstrum nox

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Release order is the best way yes, the gameplay evolves more organically with two jumps in style (napishtim and seven both start a new version) and the lore is set up more organically, this makes some differences with understanding things especially regarding the eldeen lore

if you're in doubt release order is 1>2>Napishtim>Oath>Origin>Seven>Celceta>Lacrimosa>monstrum nox
numerical order would origin>1>2>oath>celceta>lacrimosa>napishtim>seven>monstrum nox
I think what I'm mostly in doubt of is, which games got remakes and if there are any that one should skip or not. :/

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Aside from Ys I and II, both of which got truckloads of ports and remakes, Oath in Felghana is a remake/reimagining of a SNES title named Wanderers from Ys. (the third Ys game) Memories of Celceta is a reimagining that combines elements from both Dawn of Ys and Mask of the Sun, also on SNES. (both somewhat considered Ys 4, but neither of them produced by Falcom)

Oath and Memories are canon. You can skip the games on which they were based.

The versions available on PC are the most "recent".

Capndrake

Oct 28, 2017
Aside from Ys I and II, both of which got truckloads of ports and remakes, Oath in Felghana is a remake/reimagining of a SNES title named Wanderers from Ys. (the third Ys game) Memories of Celceta is a reimagining that combines elements from both Dawn of Ys and Mask of the Sun, also on SNES. (both somewhat considered Ys 4, but neither of them produced by Falcom)

Oath and Memories are canon. You can skip the games on which they were based.

The versions available on PC are the most "recent".
Everyone should play Dawn of Ys, it's much better than Memories of Celceta in a lot of ways, imo. The soundtrack's a good example, Dawn of Ys has one of the best in the series (Maybe the best), whereas Memories of Celceta's soundtrack throws out most of the best songs for no reason and is, overall, kinda underwhelming. All of the versions of Ys IV are different enough that you can play more than one, anyway.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oof I don't like Hugo's combat. I dislike ranged combat period. :/

Yunica's last boss was pretty forgiving actually.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm on PS4. I just played another half an hour of Hugo and I can't do it. Shame I didn't get to play the other melee character, but I had a great time nonetheless.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm on PS4. I just played another half an hour of Hugo and I can't do it. Shame I didn't get to play the other melee character, but I had a great time nonetheless.
Huh? Hugo is broken as hell you don't play him like a range character put up your wind shield and charge forward going ham. It's almost impossible to take damage on him because as soon as it breaks or is about to you can just reapply a fresh one.

Literally made a nightmare playthrough feel like normal mode difficulty. I was able to pretty much do all their shared fights in half the time or faster on Hugo.

Yunica is more of a ranged character than Hugo due to her horrible tool kit forcing her to rely on the fire sword to not die in two seconds in the second half of the game.

Last edited:

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
How much harder is Inferno than Nightmare in Ys 8? Started playing through it on nightmare the other day but I'm curious.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How much harder is Inferno than Nightmare in Ys 8? Started playing through it on nightmare the other day but I'm curious.
Limited healing items or something idk I never used them. Also monsters are all sped up by 30% like movements and attack animations, and are way way more agressive, bosses are also extremly hard to stagger and rarely happens outside of a few scenarios. This is the only difficulty ive played on and the game looked really slow when I went back and watched others playing on other settings.

Last edited:

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Limited healing items or something idk I never used them. Also monsters are all sped up by 30% like movements and attack animations, and are way way more agressive, bosses are also extremly hard to stagger and rarely happens outside of a few scenarios. This is the only difficulty ive played on and the game looked really slow when I went back and watched others playing on other settings.
The faster enemy part is the main thing that is tempting me. Guess I will just have to try it out later when I can.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Played the first three bosses on inferno and it is fun. Gotta decide which one I stick with.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Played the first three bosses on inferno and it is fun. Gotta decide which one I stick with.
If you are enjoying it now stick with it :P As time goes on the boss fights are gonna become less and less generic action rpg and start to feel like a combat rhythm game where missing a beat leads to death :D

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
If you are enjoying it now stick with it :P As time goes on the boss fights are gonna become less and less generic action rpg and start to feel like a combat rhythm game where missing a beat leads to death :D
Well also I guess if it ever gets too bad I can turn it down.

Edit: I'm going to be in trouble one day I've played Oath and Origin but still need to get around to Ark.

Last edited:

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I believe the party is even polite enough to call you an idiot the first time you attack one of those creatures.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the end of Hugo's playthrough but I'm starting to get burnt out, damn. Yunica's playthrough is straight fire, but Hugo's not so much and the game's structure leaves a bad taste in my mouth as well. Having to finish the game 3x to see the whole story is crap. I literally know Ys Origin by heart at this point.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
The 3rd playthrough is a bit different. It still follows the same route, but it's a lot more streamlined. For story reasons, you never return to the base camp after you start ascending the tower, cleria ores are automatically integrated into your weaponry and most of the cutscenes take place as slideshows in between tiers.