• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The third characters playthrough is soooo much more fun that Hugo's. I didn't enjoy a single of Hugo's abilities, whereas
Toal's dash
speeds the game up and is very fun to use.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Gargantula is giving me issues getting passed it.

edit: yay beat it.

Last edited:

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Doing it on a no healing run was really rough, had to not make a single mistakes with the webs/poison x.x But damn did it feel good to beat.
I can't even imagine lol I made use of the status resistance food. I haven't used a single potion in the game so far though, just fruit for healing.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Done with the 3rd playthrough in Ys Origin. Having to finish the game three times to see the full story is still wank, but man this game was fun as hell.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice at least that even overall it's not super long. What do you have next for Ys?
Yeah, the last playthrough took me less than 5h because of the fantastic dash ability. I'll take a little break but I think Ark of Napishtim probably makes the most sense next. I'll tackle it at the end of the year.

- Ys I
- Ys II
- Ys: Origin
- Ys: The Oath in Felghana

- Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim
- Ys: Memories of Celceta
- Ys VII
- Ys VIII

Just three games left.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the last playthrough took me less than 5h because of the fantastic dash ability. I'll take a little break but I think Ark of Napishtim probably makes the most sense next. I'll tackle it at the end of the year.

- Ys I
- Ys II

- Ys VII
- Ys VIII

Just three games left.
I'm missing those three myself as well. I kind of wonder how 7 and Celceta will feel after playing 8.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Put the finishing touches on VIII last night and it was freaking awesome, easily one of my favorites in the series.

The only games in the series I haven't beaten are VII (got to the final boss back in the PSP days, but never finished it) and V (holding out for the eventual remake).

Erpy

May 31, 2018

- Ys I
- Ys II

- Ys VII
- Ys VIII

Just three games left.

Did you get around to unlocking one of the Adols at the end or did you only play the story mode?

I'm missing those three myself as well. I kind of wonder how 7 and Celceta will feel after playing 8.

Celceta's mostly how Ys VIII feels, except the camera is static, there's no jumping and filling out each map requires a lot more corner-hugging. Ys Seven will feel rougher since SP is a lot harder to come by, you have to manually charge your SP-restoring attack, you can't remove Adol from the active party, there's no flash-dodge, flash-guarding is riskier (and not mentioned anywhere in the game itself) and maxing skills is impossible unless you're stuck on a deserted island for a year with nothing else to do.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Seven is like a more arcadey version of 8 as far as combat goes, lot's of story too as it was the start of being a bit more story heavy. Celceta feels a bit weirder since it's the growing pain version of going from 7 to 8.

Celceta and 7 are worth playing for the ost alone though.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I was really disappointed by Celceta after liking seven more than I thought I would. Probably my least favorite Ys game. I even liked napishtim more lol

Last edited:

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Celceta when I played it originally as someone who has yet to be able to truly get into seven, but I'll say this: it's hard to imagine going back after VIII. Everything Celceta does well, VIII does better.

... Except for the localisation, although that's not VIII's fault.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
What's wrong with Napishtim compared to those two? Doesn't it run on the same engine?

It's the first one to use that particular engine/gameplay style and Falcom was still figuring out what did and didn't work. It resulted in a game that's still fun (and quite important to the overall Ys lore), but also very rough around the edges.

A few examples:
- No dashing/double jump. There are a few hard-to-reach spots that require the use of the dash-jump move, which is probably the single-most unwieldy move of any Ys game. The word "dash jump" is to Napishtim players what "Vagullion/Bat boss" is to Ys I players. XD
- The initial versions of the game had no warping or rather only warp out of dungeons functionality, which resulted in A LOT of backtracking since the final dungeon and the town where you bought supplies were separated by 4 minutes or so of walking through wilderness. Fortunately, XSeed fixed that.
- No boost.
- Magic works differently. To use an Ys Seven/Celceta/Ys VIII analogy; magic in Felghana/Origin acted like normal skills. Magic in Napishtim worked like Extra skills and until you did a lot of upgrading wasn't something you could consistently rely on.
- A few early dick moves in the form of the game sneakily tossing a high-level enemy in a pack of normal level enemies. You might not even notice until you suddenly get OHKO-ed and your last save was 10 minutes ago. :P It also has fewer guardrails in that it allows you to walk into areas you're not supposed to be in yet and then you get clobbered.
- The highest difficulty level throws in color-coded enemies who can only be reliably damaged by one of your three swords...which you might not have yet at that time. (think of it as a variation of the slash/strike/pierce system)
- The Limewater Cave. I personally liked that section, but like with Vagullion, lots of people scream when you bring it up.
- Occasionally wonky hitboxes on enemy/boss attacks. Expect the occasional "HOW THE FUCK DID THAT HIT ME?"
- Is quite a bit more grindy than Felghana/Origin. Hidden superboss pretty much requires grinding in order to even damage it.

It's still an enjoyable play, but it's definitely rougher than Felghana and Origin.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with Napishtim compared to those two? Doesn't it run on the same engine?

It's probably the only Ys game that I would say is a bad game. Granted I played the PS2 version and they say there are improvements on the PC, but it had terrible hit box issues, tons of times when you're blatantly hitting an enemy and it just doesn't register. There's no real fast travel system on the PS2 version so you're constantly recrossing the map back and forth. The platforming is by far the worst the series has ever seen, and its not like Ys in general has good platforming (I love the series but let's be honest here). There's even shit where to access an item you have to make a blind leap using a technique that is not documented in game, that is a royal pain to pull off. Not only is this a blind leap, and you lose sight of your character behind some stairs, but you have to land on something that you can't see that is like maybe 10 pixels in size. So it needs to be incredibly precise. If you miss, its not like oh let me just try again, its like a 5 - 10 minute trek through the dungeon to get back there to try again, with no idea if you were too far from it, or over shot it, or too high or too low. Just keep trying! There is far too much grinding to upgrade the only 3 swords in the game. The controls are floaty and super laggy. The platforming in the bonus dungeon stuff that Konami added will make you want to spike your controller. It's the only Ys game that I have negative desire to ever play again.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
It's probably the only Ys game that I would say is a bad game. Granted I played the PS2 version and they say there are improvements on the PC, but it had terrible hit box issues, tons of times when you're blatantly hitting an enemy and it just doesn't register. There's no real fast travel system on the PS2 version so you're constantly recrossing the map back and forth. The platforming is by far the worst the series has ever seen, and its not like Ys in general has good platforming (I love the series but let's be honest here). There's even shit where to access an item you have to make a blind leap using a technique that is not documented in game, that is a royal pain to pull off. Not only is this a blind leap, and you lose sight of your character behind some stairs, but you have to land on something that you can't see that is like maybe 10 pixels in size. So it needs to be incredibly precise. If you miss, its not like oh let me just try again, its like a 5 - 10 minute trek through the dungeon to get back there to try again, with no idea if you were too far from it, or over shot it, or too high or too low. Just keep trying! There is far too much grinding to upgrade the only 3 swords in the game. The controls are floaty and super laggy. The platforming in the bonus dungeon stuff that Konami added will make you want to spike your controller. It's the only Ys game that I have negative desire to ever play again.

XSeed's PC version fortunately fixed the warping and once you get the warp item you can zip to every travel monument you unlocked. Also the Dash Jump is definitely listed in-game. It's in the in-game help section. That doesn't make it any less of a pain to pull off, but it's mentioned alright. The controls aren't laggy either, it pretty much controls like Felghana/Origin except more slow-paced due to the lack of a dash/double jump.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's the first one to use that particular engine/gameplay style and Falcom was still figuring out what did and didn't work. It resulted in a game that's still fun (and quite important to the overall Ys lore), but also very rough around the edges.

A few examples:
- No dashing/double jump. There are a few hard-to-reach spots that require the use of the dash-jump move, which is probably the single-most unwieldy move of any Ys game. The word "dash jump" is to Napishtim players what "Vagullion/Bat boss" is to Ys I players. XD
- The initial versions of the game had no warping or rather only warp out of dungeons functionality, which resulted in A LOT of backtracking since the final dungeon and the town where you bought supplies were separated by 4 minutes or so of walking through wilderness. Fortunately, XSeed fixed that.
- No boost.
- Magic works differently. To use an Ys Seven/Celceta/Ys VIII analogy; magic in Felghana/Origin acted like normal skills. Magic in Napishtim worked like Extra skills and until you did a lot of upgrading wasn't something you could consistently rely on.
- A few early dick moves in the form of the game sneakily tossing a high-level enemy in a pack of normal level enemies. You might not even notice until you suddenly get OHKO-ed and your last save was 10 minutes ago. :P It also has fewer guardrails in that it allows you to walk into areas you're not supposed to be in yet and then you get clobbered.
- The highest difficulty level throws in color-coded enemies who can only be reliably damaged by one of your three swords...which you might not have yet at that time. (think of it as a variation of the slash/strike/pierce system)
- The Limewater Cave. I personally liked that section, but like with Vagullion, lots of people scream when you bring it up.
- Occasionally wonky hitboxes on enemy/boss attacks. Expect the occasional "HOW THE FUCK DID THAT HIT ME?"
- Is quite a bit more grindy than Felghana/Origin. Hidden superboss pretty much requires grinding in order to even damage it.

It's still an enjoyable play, but it's definitely rougher than Felghana and Origin.
The import version of this was the last game I played on my marathon of the series (pre steam release) before I went through heavy dental surgery. After how hyped up I was after clearing all 3 of origin on Nightmare quite frankly this was the shittiest fucking experience I had to go through before getting rocked and not being able to really enjoy being able to comftly enjoy games again for a month. GAME FUCKING SUCKED after the high of beating origin buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut that said. It's an Ys game so it's still a mediocre game at worst in reality.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
This
Primordial Stampede where Dana joins in part way is hard I've failed it a few times and all the other raids I managed to get A my first time on them.

I wonder if they ever plan to do a remake of Ys V

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
XSeed's PC version fortunately fixed the warping and once you get the warp item you can zip to every travel monument you unlocked. Also the Dash Jump is definitely listed in-game. It's in the in-game help section. That doesn't make it any less of a pain to pull off, but it's mentioned alright. The controls aren't laggy either, it pretty much controls like Felghana/Origin except more slow-paced due to the lack of a dash/double jump.

Being hidden away in an in game help section, isn't really being explained in game the way other move are. I don't know if you're talking about the PC or PS2 version but the PS2 version definitely has laggy controls, and definitely in relation to jumping. It can control like something and still have laggy controls that the other two lack.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Ys 8 has been a lot of fun especially with how intense inferno is. I'm at the true end boss now.

Yay and beat it now, that true end boss was pretty hard. Guess I just have this post game dungeon to do now.

Last edited:

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I don't even want to look at anything Ys IX anymore until we get some kind of localization news so I know it won't be all in vain.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Ys 7 sure feels almost completely different than Ys 8. And I just mean that my experience there doesn't carry over to this so much.

Edit: I feel like spider bosses are the hardest thing in the modern recent Ys games lol.

Edit2: Beat the game now. That final boss on nightmare was quite tough, such a long fight and you never get to restock any healing stuff.

Last edited:

preta

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else been playing 9? I'm up to chapter 8 so far. I've got a lot of thoughts on the game but at this point I'll wait until I finish to write them up. My general take is that it's not nearly as good as 8, unfortunately.

Cloudst69

Banned for abusing Giftbot
Banned
Sep 18, 2019
I'm wating for the next steam sale to get VIII and Celceta. I guess I played all the other ones so far. Also tried Xanadu Next, good game too.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
That's a bummer. How come? VIII was outrageously good tbf.
The biggest thing is that the game is really, really poorly paced. It has the same structure as a Trails game where a large part of each chapter is spent on side quests and main story scenes, most of which don't involve fighting, and then ending with (usually) a single dungeon per chapter. The game is shaping up to be as long as Ys 8, but have more cutscenes and significantly fewer dungeons and bosses. The dungeons are among the best in party system Ys from a mechanical perspective, so it feels like a massive waste to not have more of a focus on them.

The story is extremely backloaded, possibly even more than Sen 4's which I wasn't sure was possible. The first six chapters consist of a brief prologue and five chapters dedicated to introducing the party members, while the underlying mysteries that form the main focus of the story very slowly build in the background. Unfortunately, two of these chapters fell flat on their faces for me, and I'd only say one of them was especially strong - the character writing hasn't been as good as in Ys 8. On top of that, I'm currently starting the second to last chapter, and while the plot in the forefront is picking up, Apryllis (ostensibly the "main heroine" of the game) has barely been developed as a character at all at this point. The game doesn't really have the strong emotional core that 8 did with its Dana segments - it has a direct equivalent to them, but they, like almost everything else, are primarily in service of setting up the mysteries. My ultimate feelings on the story are going to depend in large part on how the mysteries resolve. To give credit where it's due, there's been quite a bit of good worldbuilding establishing Balduq as a setting, and fleshing out Gllia.

The bosses are of somewhat dubious quality - there have been some standouts, like the caged one seen in trailers, but most of them just feel middling and there are a couple of outright stinkers.

The environments are as drab as they appeared to be in trailers - those weren't flukes. While it's appropriate for the setting for them to not be as colorful and fantastical as Ys 8's, I can't help but feel a little irked at how most of the dungeons so far have consisted at least in large part of rectangular underground corridors.

Performance is, frankly, garbage much of the time. It targets 60 fps at all times, but almost never reaches that in town and in fact drops below 30, even 20, on a regular basis. This makes fighting enemies in town miserable - fortunately, you're rarely forced to do this. It's a mostly consistent 60 in dungeons, fields and bosses, until it isn't - I've started to have issues in some of the more recent dungeons and bosses, with the 14th boss running at sub-30 fps for much of its duration. I have a base PS4, but I've heard that even Pro still has issues.

The new traversal abilities are extremely cool, and make exploring the town for hidden collectibles (of which there are many) enjoyable in spite of the framerate. They're utilized pretty well in dungeons too, but I can't help but think they could have pushed them a bit further with the dungeon designs. Hopefully the endgame will do that; we'll see.

The music is on point. I don't feel like it's quite as good as 8's soundtrack overall, but it's certainly not weak or disappointing. Notably, it shows the actualization of Falcom's much-maligned newest composer, Mitsuo Singa, proving he's now capable of putting out tracks that can stand with the other composers'. It's by far his best showing on a Falcom soundtrack. Takahiro Unisuga is conspicuously absent for the most part, but the tracks he does do are excellent. (Singa raid theme and Unisuga field theme, respectively, below:)

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
The biggest thing is that the game is really, really poorly paced. It has the same structure as a Trails game where a large part of each chapter is spent on side quests and main story scenes, most of which don't involve fighting, and then ending with (usually) a single dungeon per chapter. The game is shaping up to be as long as Ys 8, but have more cutscenes and significantly fewer dungeons and bosses. The dungeons are among the best in party system Ys from a mechanical perspective, so it feels like a massive waste to not have more of a focus on them.

The story is extremely backloaded, possibly even more than Sen 4's which I wasn't sure was possible. The first six chapters consist of a brief prologue and five chapters dedicated to introducing the party members, while the underlying mysteries that form the main focus of the story very slowly build in the background. Unfortunately, two of these chapters fell flat on their faces for me, and I'd only say one of them was especially strong - the character writing hasn't been as good as in Ys 8. On top of that, I'm currently starting the second to last chapter, and while the plot in the forefront is picking up, Apryllis (ostensibly the "main heroine" of the game) has barely been developed as a character at all at this point. The game doesn't really have the strong emotional core that 8 did with its Dana segments - it has a direct equivalent to them, but they, like almost everything else, are primarily in service of setting up the mysteries. My ultimate feelings on the story are going to depend in large part on how the mysteries resolve. To give credit where it's due, there's been quite a bit of good worldbuilding establishing Balduq as a setting, and fleshing out Gllia.

That's a bummer, YsVIII was not the best one but i enjoyed it and if the Ys team managed to do something like the trails series and it's characters interactions i could see myself liking it a lot. They are the same writing team?

Regarding the asthetics i really liked some of the designs on YsVIII (Yes, even Dana) and the tropical island setting.
I dont usually like gothic designs much so when it was revealed the setting i was expecting to enjoy it less than the previous entry, but to hear the dungeons suffered too :/

Buuut still day one when it releases here.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, well... I just got to the final chapter, and I can say - the resolution to the mysteries delivered, beyond anything I could have expected. Holy crap.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The game doesn't really have the strong emotional core that 8 did with its Dana segments - it has a direct equivalent to them, but they, like almost everything else, are primarily in service of setting up the mysteries.
As someone who gave zero fucks about Dana and her story whatsoever, this is dire-looking lol
The environments are as drab as they appeared to be in trailers - those weren't flukes. While it's appropriate for the setting for them to not be as colorful and fantastical as Ys 8's, I can't help but feel a little irked at how most of the dungeons so far have consisted at least in large part of rectangular underground corridors.
Also a bummer. :\

Glad to hear most of the rest seems solid at least. I hope there's pro support for 60 FPS? I'd rather not wait for a shoddy PC port... :\

preta

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Ys 9. The final act was very strong for the most part - the revelations were handled very satisfyingly and there were a lot of great character moments that had been lacking from prior chapters. It did a lot to improve my view of the story as a whole, although I still think it taking so long to get interesting is a problem.

Everything else I said in my above post still stands. The final dungeon did indeed start to really test the capabilities of the traversal abilities, but honestly, it was too little, too late. That should have started earlier. The endgame bosses are also among the best in the game, although I think the final final boss might be a bit too complex for its own good.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
I finished Ys 9. The final act was very strong for the most part - the revelations were handled very satisfyingly and there were a lot of great character moments that had been lacking from prior chapters. It did a lot to improve my view of the story as a whole, although I still think it taking so long to get interesting is a problem.

Everything else I said in my above post still stands. The final dungeon did indeed start to really test the capabilities of the traversal abilities, but honestly, it was too little, too late. That should have started earlier. The endgame bosses are also among the best in the game, although I think the final final boss might be a bit too complex for its own good.

In the end you would say that it's better than Seven and Memories?

I'm glad that the final portion somewhat redeemed some aspects for you, now it's the waiting game for the localization process.

You all think that Nisa will localize it after Cold Steel 4 or between the Trails releases? (since its localization it's easier)

preta

Oct 25, 2017
In the end you would say that it's better than Seven and Memories?

I'm glad that the final portion somewhat redeemed some aspects for you, now it's the waiting game for the localization process.

You all think that Nisa will localize it after Cold Steel 4 or between the Trails releases? (since its localization it's easier)
It's definitely better than Celceta, and better than Seven overall although I do think Seven did some things better. It's still not on 8's level though.

I really couldn't tell you whether NISA will attempt to do it after Cold Steel 4 or at the same time - I imagine they probably won't put Cold Steel 4 on hold for it though.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been on a bit of an Ys binge lately. I recently finished a nightmare run of Origins (don't think I'll ever be able to handle nightmare boss rush, bye plat) and now I'm working my way through Ys VIII for the first time. I got it a long time ago but after hearing about the localization issues it ended up sitting on my shelf collecting dust.

Now I wish I'd played it sooner. It's so much better than I expected. The combat is as fun as ever, I always love a good tropical setting, and the whole concept of finding castaways and building a little community is great. The story's impressing me so far as well. I've played quite a few games in the series and for the most part I haven't found their stories to be particularly memorable. But I just finished chapter 2 and holy shit at those twists.

The whole "there's a serial killer lurking among us" thing really took me by surprise with the dramatic tone shift into Danganronpa territory lol. They made it super obvious who the killer was early on but it was still really entertaining to watch unfold. I guess the sugary optimism up to that point had lulled me into a false sense of security because I was not expecting there to be actual casualties. Like at first I assumed even the killer would probably just get put in a timeout jail at worst, not eaten and dragged off by a dinosaur. xD

I do kinda wish they'd let Adol be more of a full character and give him actual lines, but I realize having him mostly silent is just series tradition at this point. It also bugs me that Dogi keeps getting blocked from being a playable character, but at least he has a prominent role. Still though, I would gladly kick any of these loser's asses off the team to make room for my beautiful blue wallcrusher.