• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
QisTopTier Which Ys game was hardest for you?
Nightmare Yunica > 0 items Ys 8 inferno > Nightmare/Inferno Oath = 0 items Nightmare Japanese pc release Ys 6 (due to bad hitboxes) > Ys Seven Nightmare

Most fun

0 items Ys 8 Inferno > Ys 2 Nightmare > Toal Nightmare > Ys Seven Nightmare > Nightmare/Inferno Oath

Last edited:

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Nightmare Yunica > 0 items Ys 8 inferno > Nightmare/Inferno Oath = 0 items Nightmare Japanese pc release Ys 6 (due to bad hitboxes) > Ys Seven Nightmare

Most fun

0 items Ys 8 Inferno > Ys 2 Nightmare > Toal Nightmare > Ys Seven Nightmare > Nightmare/Inferno Oath
Interesting, I would have guessed like inferno oath. Though I have only played origin and oath on normal.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, I would have guessed like inferno oath. Though I have only played origin and oath on normal.
Oath's difficulty is overblown in truth it has like 4 hard fights and the rest are fairly average. Elemental robot/ Dog / Chester 2 / last boss

The easiest in the series is Nightmare Hugo he's absolutely broken.

Nightmare yunica is the hardest just due to her moveset being ... bad. Ys 8 Inferno no items is second hardest just because the speed of the game, the severity of status effects and general damage as well as distance between break points.

Last edited:

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Oath's difficulty is overblown in truth it has like 4 hard fights and the rest are fairly average. Elemental robot/ Dog / Chester 2 / last boss

The easiest in the series is Nightmare Hugo he's absolutely broken.

Nightmare yunica is the hardest just due to her moveset being ... bad. Ys 8 Inferno no items is second hardest just because the speed of the game, the severity of status effects and general damage as well as distance between break points.
8 inferno was already hard enough using items, though I didn't use any potions. But yeah doing that without any items at all would be quite tough.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Ys VIII! This was probably my favorite of those I've played. The setting and characters clicked really well with me, and the story had some emotional moments that took me by surprise.
Like Barbaros' sudden death. And then Quina (aka best castaway) making a gift for him and planting flowers at his grave in the epilogue... "so he won't be lonely." ;_;

Despite her silly outfit Dana ended up being my favorite of Ys' many blue haired women. I liked how strong and independent she was. Her futile attempts to save her people got pretty heartbreaking toward the end. The twins Sia and Mia tho... ;_;

There were only a few things that had me rolling my eyes. Of course the little girl Io was secretly a 1000 year old dinosaur maiden. Of course the parrot was secretly a busty goddess. And of course Sir Carlan's useless ass unfortunately survived somehow lol.
Looking forward to Ys IX whenever it inevitably comes over. I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been announced yet. I guess NISA has been busy with Trails though.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Received the game on Tuesday. Been playing on Nightmare. (First time I start at that difficulty for a Ys game)

It's been fun and fights are very stressful when you can die just because you weren't paying attention 1 second. I kind of find that annoying for the random encounters in town when they put you against a ton of small enemies or for the tower defense minigame though.

Beat the chapter 2 dungeon last night. It was a really cool fight and survived by a hair. (Didn't help I wasn't paying attention and sold all my healing items when I was thinking I was buying some, when I knew that was the sell window lol.

No major hiccups on performance on PS4 pro with the 1.04 patch. Seems like they fixed the major issue with it.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
I picked up the Digital version of YsIX at the weekend and I've put a little time in and I'm definitely enjoying the city exploring gameplay. Also super cool that most of dialogue subs are small and in the bottom middle of the screen. This allows me to put my phone on a tripod in front of the tv and Google translate live.

Gotta say that performance has been disappointing. I'm on a Pro and whilst I'm no DF it looks like it has a super variable framerate like between 20 and 60 which shifts constantly. Whilst simultaneously having bad frame pacing and a total lack of AA. Ys VIII was much much smoother all the time and looked beautifully sharp. What gives here? I have version 1.04 like Kyolux but it doesn't feel good at all. Was it worse before? I can nearly always overlook performance issues and I am here because the game is worth it, but damn if it doesn't really dig at me in this game.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I picked up the Digital version of YsIX at the weekend and I've put a little time in and I'm definitely enjoying the city exploring gameplay. Also super cool that most of dialogue subs are small and in the bottom middle of the screen. This allows me to put my phone on a tripod in front of the tv and Google translate live.

Gotta say that performance has been disappointing. I'm on a Pro and whilst I'm no DF it looks like it has a super variable framerate like between 20 and 60 which shifts constantly. Whilst simultaneously having bad frame pacing and a total lack of AA. Ys VIII was much much smoother all the time and looked beautifully sharp. What gives here? I have version 1.04 like Kyolux but it doesn't feel good at all. Was it worse before? I can nearly always overlook performance issues and I am here because the game is worth it, but damn if it doesn't really dig at me in this game.
I've been using Google Lens too, but mostly for item descriptions to make sure I read those right. For spoken dialog, I can follow well enough. And well I don't care to slowly read the non-voiced content. I'll just keep that for when it's localized.

For performance, I don't know. It's definitely not 100% solid, but it's a lot better than what I was hearing before the 1.04 patch. I've seen some weird stuff in performance, but it was mostly at the start of cutscenes and not in gameplay. But maybe I just haven't paid enough attention. I've put my TV on game mode and I mostly care about input lag for Ys and saw none of that. Don't really have time to take note of combat animations on Nightmare when you can die if you're hit twice.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not touching the console version of Ys XI then. YIII didn't run quite perfectly either on PS4 Pro but it was bearable.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Have been putting in a bit more time, and YS IX is really starting to impress. Since I've picked up the Red Kings power, the normal city traversal has become almost Assassins Creedish with its sudden shift to running across rooftops. Along with a healthy side dish of Skyrimming it up the sides of buildings with fascinating results. Brilliant fun.

Not touching the console version of Ys XI then. YIII didn't run quite perfectly either on PS4 Pro but it was bearable.
No doubt the PC version should be up to snuff this time, Nisa can't bodge the release this time surely. Though it's quite possible that the PS4 version will be much improved too by the time it heads west.

Last edited:

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Have been putting in a bit more time, and YS IX is really starting to impress. Since I've picked up the Red Kings power, the normal city traversal has become almost Assassins Creedish with its sudden shift to running across rooftops. Along with a healthy side dish of Skyrimming it up the sides of buildings with fascinating results. Brilliant fun.
Picked up my third power tonight and finished the related dungeon. Those dungeons designs are really cool. Making full use of the skillset.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Received the game on Tuesday. Been playing on Nightmare. (First time I start at that difficulty for a Ys game)

It's been fun and fights are very stressful when you can die just because you weren't paying attention 1 second. I kind of find that annoying for the random encounters in town when they put you against a ton of small enemies or for the tower defense minigame though.

Beat the chapter 2 dungeon last night. It was a really cool fight and survived by a hair. (Didn't help I wasn't paying attention and sold all my healing items when I was thinking I was buying some, when I knew that was the sell window lol.

No major hiccups on performance on PS4 pro with the 1.04 patch. Seems like they fixed the major issue with it.
Does it have inferno as an option as well like 8?

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
preta do you mind explaining to me what Nox is used for? Seems like I missed the explanation. And right now it just feels like a random number on top left of my screen that goes down after doing the defense fights.

What does it do when it's above 100?

Does it have inferno as an option as well like 8?
It does. Inferno difficulty has been a staple for a while now I think? Not interested in that mode though. First time starting with Nightmare even. Played 8 on Hard, but then I also played through most of 8 on codeine and don't think I could have handled anything more.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
preta do you mind explaining to me what Nox is used for? Seems like I missed the explanation. And right now it just feels like a random number on top left of my screen that goes down after doing the defense fights.

What does it do when it's above 100?
I don't know if you got your answer, but I think I understand how NOX works.

So you get it for completing side quests and fighting the Larva glowing columns about the city. You use it to unlock visits to the 'Grimwald Night' which unlocks new areas in the city. Everytime you earn 100 NOX you get another red notch next to the number. Which I think indicates how many area unlocks you've earned. Any spare NOX can be used to get useful upgrade items from the green lamp which is in the basement of Dandelion Inn. Also you could keep saving it toward the trophy you get awarded for banking 2000 NOX. There's probably more, I'm still on Chapter 3. I hope that helps.

Definitely loving this game, even the performance problems which only occur in the city aren't bothering me anymore.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't know if you got your answer, but I think I understand how NOX works.

So you get it for completing side quests and fighting the Larva glowing columns about the city. You use it to unlock visits to the 'Grimwald Night' which unlocks new areas in the city. Everytime you earn 100 NOX you get another red notch next to the number. Which I think indicates how many area unlocks you've earned. Any spare NOX can be used to get useful upgrade items from the green lamp which is in the basement of Dandelion Inn. Also you could keep saving it toward the trophy you get awarded for banking 2000 NOX. There's probably more, I'm still on Chapter 3. I hope that helps.

Definitely loving this game, even the performance problems which only occur in the city aren't bothering me anymore.
Yeah, finally noticed this last night about being able to unlock more areas once you reach 100. I didn't know the green lamp currency was related to Nox though. Thanks for the heads-up.

I wonder if it's because I'm on Nightmare, but the Grimwald Night fights have only given me S ranks so far. Also, now I'm kind of hungry for a higher difficulty level sicne outside of things for which I'm underleveled, things don't really feel any harder than Ys 8 was on Hard.

Not really interested in Inferno as I still want to be able to rely on items for healing.

Still enjoying it a lot anyway. Just unlocked the fourth character and I was surprised I guessed who it was ahead of time. Especially since I haven't really read any dialog lately.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Yunica first, then Hugo.

This. Yunica's kind of the naïve newcomer so lots of stuff gets explained to her and the story's fairly basic. Hugo knows a lot more than he lets on so the plot is more focussed on his personal demons with the player kind of already expected to know a couple of things.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Yunica is also more fun to play. But still only the second most fun of the three characters.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I recall quite a few people complaining that Yunica was the least powerful character of the available ones. (not sure if that included the Time Attack-only character) Her oven mitts are universally considered adorable though.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Okay, well... I just got to the final chapter, and I can say - the resolution to the mysteries delivered, beyond anything I could have expected. Holy crap.
Finished the game on Nightmare back on Sunday after a few distractions slowed me down.

Enjoyed it and it being Ys, makes it one of my top games this year. I didn't follow much of the story and skipped most dialogue, because my Japanese isn't good enough to keep up anyway, but I got enough to get the overall story arc. I'll be replaying it in English whenever that comes out for the story. Which overall wasn't as intriguing to me as the Ys 8 one. The big twist was interesting, but it lacked the impact for me since I wasn't following the bits to bits of the story so I'll reserve judgment for that.

Pros:
Combat improvements
Some of the boss fights were challenging and more than just sponges you dodge/guard and wack.
Traversal and monstrum abilities
Some of the dungeons.
City exploration

Cons:
The rest of the dungeons.
The fields exploration (are kind of tacked-on for padding)
The lack of compelling extra content from what I could tell
Game didn't know if it wanted to keep using the three damage type system.
The big birds

Overall, it's still probably top 5 in 2019 for me. But it's not in my top Ys games.

Origins, I&II chronicles, Oath, VIII and Celceta are above it in no particular order.

edit: Also, the loop each chapter was neither a pro or a con to me, it was sometime fun, other times more of a drag if I didn't have much time to play and I knew I wasn't going to get into a dungeon.

Also the one extra:

A singular boss fight, was just a huge sponge. I went back after beating the game to do it on easy because it was 1) so long to take down on nightmare and 2) the game couldn't even handle the amount of extra monsters the fight adds on Nightmare.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played Celceta for about two and a half hours today and it's one boring ass game. It's the first Ys game to not hook me right away.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I played Celceta for about two and a half hours today and it's one boring ass game. It's the first Ys game to not hook me right away.
Looking at your played list. Yeah you got the lesser games left unfortunately. Been 6 years since Celceta came out on Vita but I remember it taking a bit more time picking up. VII has some good things too, but they're definitely not at the same tier as 8 or the other type of Ys games.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at your played list. Yeah you got the lesser games left unfortunately. Been 6 years since Celceta came out on Vita but I remember it taking a bit more time picking up. VII has some good things too, but they're definitely not at the same tier as 8 or the other type of Ys games.
It's gotten a bit better but it's still painfully mediocre honestly. I'm about 9h into the game right now. Ys Origin was so good in comparison.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Two questions: Is Ys VIII a decent starting point for the series and is the Swtich version alright to play? I know absolutely nothing about these games but saw it was on sale on the Swtich eshop.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
The PS4 is the best version as a few people still have the odd issue with the PC version apparently. These versions also run at 60 fps.

The Switch version is fine by all accounts, but does only run at 30 fps. It does get a lot of extra fluff cosmetic items that were only available by pre-ordering or buying separate DLC on PS4/PC though.

As for a decent starting point - yes it is. No prior knowledge is required, but there might be a mention or two of Adol's past and a character from an old game does briefly turn up near the end, but you aren't going to miss anything important.

Ys VIII has been the most enjoyable JRPG of this gen for me and if you like it half as much as I did - then you are guaranteed a great time.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 is the best version as a few people still have the odd issue with the PC version apparently. These versions also run at 60 fps.

The Switch version is fine by all accounts, but does only run at 30 fps. It does get a lot of extra fluff cosmetic items that were only available by pre-ordering or buying separate DLC on PS4/PC though.

As for a decent starting point - yes it is. No prior knowledge is required, but there might be a mention or two of Adol's past and a character from an old game does briefly turn up near the end, but you aren't going to miss anything important.

Ys VIII has been the most enjoyable JRPG of this gen for me and if you like it half as much as I did - then you are guaranteed a great time.
Agreed.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Two questions: Is Ys VIII a decent starting point for the series and is the Swtich version alright to play? I know absolutely nothing about these games but saw it was on sale on the Swtich eshop.
Yeah, if you can get it on PS4, get it there.

Otherwise, feel free to experience it at 30fps, it's a great start to the series I'm sure. Ys IX is barely 30fps too, so that might keep your expectations for that one in check.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
I guess I'll keep an eye open for DLC. But I'm not even sure how I'd get said dlc.
Do you have a Japanese PSN account? That's how. Assuming you are playing the Japanese version. I had a few yen over after getting it on my JP account - so I tested the water and bought one of the cheap item add on micro-transactions. Thankfully like most games I was able to play the game on my UK account with the JP DLC. You need the JP account on your machine activated as its primary machine of course.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Do you have a Japanese PSN account? That's how. Assuming you are playing the Japanese version. I had a few yen over after getting it on my JP account - so I tested the water and bought one of the cheap item add on micro-transactions. Thankfully like most games I was able to play the game on my UK account with the JP DLC. You need the JP account on your machine activated as its primary machine of course.
I have one I can't seem to reset the pw for. I don't have any yen on it though. I imported a physical copy of Ys IX a few days after launch. The whole getting yen on an account sounded like a lot more painful than just importing to me lol.

Unless DLC is like a proper ultimate dungeon like Ys 8 had post-game, I don't think I'd bother anyway. Bit too late for trinkets or accessories.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, and with luck the western version will end up with any additions anyway. It's not like we ain't double dipping for our sins!
Looking forward though to replay it with more attention to accessories options. It was a pain figuring out what every one of them did. So I mostly kept to what seemed good on quick glances.

Was enough to get me through on Nightmare at least.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually hate-playing Celceta right now. What worthless video game lmao. I'll give it another hour or two and then I'm out. I just beat the big fish in the temple.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm actually hate-playing Celceta right now. What worthless video game lmao. I'll give it another hour or two and then I'm out. I just beat the big fish in the temple.
I want to tell you, it gets good after ______ but I just don't recall much outside of a few pieces of the story. There is some good in there. But yeah, it really took 8 to get the formula from 7/Celceta to work right.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
Hi. I first got introduced to Ys a couple of years ago when I bough Memories of Celceta on Vita. I then played Ys1 Chronicles using the guide provided in the digital manual (I played on Vita). I started II right after, but the digital manual did not have a guide and then I got lost and couldn't care to continue. This past week I've started Ys VI on PC and I really like it. A character made references to Ys 1 story and it got me thinking that I should go back to II and try to start it again, but using a guide this time.

Long story short: what would be the best/most simple guide to follow out there? I mean, I know I could use a random guide from GameFAQs but I was wondering what the fans though was the best. Thanks!

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Hi. I first got introduced to Ys a couple of years ago when I bough Memories of Celceta on Vita. I then played Ys1 Chronicles using the guide provided in the digital manual (I played on Vita). I started II right after, but the digital manual did not have a guide and then I got lost and couldn't care to continue. This past week I've started Ys VI on PC and I really like it. A character made references to Ys 1 story and it got me thinking that I should go back to II and try to start it again, but using a guide this time.

Long story short: what would be the best/most simple guide to follow out there? I mean, I know I could use a random guide from GameFAQs but I was wondering what the fans though was the best. Thanks!
Personally I used this uh... random guide from GameFAQs, when I played both games semi-recently. It covers everything afaik, including achievements.

If I had anything to add to the guide, I'd just say that imo it asks you to overlevel in Ys 2 especially as you get further into the game, so if you think "Wow that seems like a lot", don't be afraid to give the boss/whatever a shot anyway and see what happens. But otherwise I don't remember having any issues with it.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I used this uh... random guide from GameFAQs, when I played both games semi-recently. It covers everything afaik, including achievements.

If I had anything to add to the guide, I'd just say that imo it asks you to overlevel in Ys 2 especially as you get further into the game, so if you think "Wow that seems like a lot", don't be afraid to give the boss/whatever a shot anyway and see what happens. But otherwise I don't remember having any issues with it.

Sounds great! And thanks for the tip. I'm doing something similar in Ys VI in that I sometimes feel underleveled for a boss but I try it anyway then I usually beat it after a couple of tries.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Ys VIII has been on my backlog for the past 2 years (got the NISA CE Day 1) and I just started it last week! I'm on Chapter 6 about 30 hours in doing all the side stuff available. I got the Plat for Celceta and I intend to do the same here. I hope a localization for Monstrum Nox happens soon!

And also, is it worth going back to the previous Ys games? Have they aged well at all? From what I've read, Celceta was a remake of Ys IV, which probably explains the pretty boring ass story. VIII's story is MUCH better.

And from what I've noticed, the older ones from PSP and back only have Adol as a playable character...did the whole 3 person party system start with Celceta?

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ys VIII has been on my backlog for the past 2 years (got the NISA CE Day 1) and I just started it last week! I'm on Chapter 6 about 30 hours in doing all the side stuff available. I got the Plat for Celceta and I intend to do the same here. I hope a localization for Monstrum Nox happens soon!

And also, is it worth going back to the previous Ys games? Have they aged well at all? From what I've read, Celceta was a remake of Ys IV, which probably explains the pretty boring ass story. VIII's story is MUCH better.

And from what I've noticed, the older ones from PSP and back only have Adol as a playable character...did the whole 3 person party system start with Celceta?
8 is definitely one of the better story. 9 wasn't as good from what I could get playing it this Fall. (I did skip a lot of it though, so some of the subtleties I missed may make it better).

I&II totally worth playing.
III, play Oath in Felghana for sure.
Origins is a must play, you need to play it through 3 times with different characters (each playthrough is fairly short though).
IV you played Celceta so I'll leave it at that, didn't play other versions anyway so can't speak of them.
V is the most likely candidate for the next remake, so hold until then.
VI if after Oath and Origins if you want more of that style. Although it's the first of the style, so it's not as good.
VII is OK. Would only play it after you've played the first things on this list. It's like Celceta but a bit more limited.

9 was good, not great. VIII is one of my favorite games this gen.