• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
The way Tim Sweeney's defending a GOOSE game, I'd be more concerned about Epic pushing back / litigating if Deep Silver does try to get out of this.

Is getting a Steam key really worth potentially tying up ANY kind of PC release for an undetermined time in the courts?

What courts ? When people preordered Metro Exodus elsewhere, they got Steam keys. When people backed Phoenix Point, they were promised steam keys later or a refund.

They can do it. It's a matter of will.

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
What courts ? When people preordered Metro Exodus elsewhere, they got Steam keys. When people backed Phoenix Point, they were promised steam keys later or a refund.

They can do it. It's a matter of will.

Unfortunately the option where we get Steam keys at launch is the one that seems increasingly unlikely and, with each passing day, I don't think the refund option is happening either.

The odds of YSnet coming back with a tenable solution is basically zero.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately the option where we get Steam keys at launch is the one that seems increasingly unlikely and, with each passing day, I don't think the refund option is happening either.

I don't see why they can't provide Steam Keys exclusively to backers. If they do though it will probably be with some caveat, like they won't have access to the DLC/Season Pass content until the exclusivity period expires.

I doubt that cash refunds are ever going to happen though.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
They seem genuinely surprised by this level of backlash even though they got similar amounts for Metro. Why is that?

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see why they can't provide Steam Keys exclusively to backers. If they do though it will probably be with some caveat, like they won't have access to the DLC/Season Pass content until the exclusivity period expires.

I doubt that cash refunds are ever going to happen though.

Because Valve rarely allows keys to be distributed if game is not sold on Steam. They can promise Steam keys year from release but not day 1.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
They seem genuinely surprised by this level of backlash even though they got similar amounts for Metro. Why is that?

I suspect YsNet didnt expect that. And Deep Silver might have "omitted" this detail when they told them a digital platform would buy copies in advance. Deep Silver looked to offset their initial investment.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because Valve rarely allows keys to be distributed if game is not sold on Steam. They can promise Steam keys year from release but not day 1.
Why couldn't they set up an Early Access page or account? I'm pretty sure Steam does that all the time for Kickstarter backed games where they want to give access just to backers.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Why couldn't they set up an Early Access page or account? I'm pretty sure Steam does that all the time for Kickstarter backed games where they want to give access just to backers.

Because it is late for that. Valve is ot stupid. If they had EA page before and distributed beta codes before that would be different thing.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it is late for that. Valve is ot stupid. If they had EA page before and distributed beta codes before that would be different thing.
Why is it too late? Just today I redeemed a Kickstarter key for an Early Access Kickstarter game......I can't even download it though since the EXE/binary won't actually be posted for quite some time.

Admittedly, a lot of these hypotheticals rely on Valve/Steam being accommodating, but thus far they haven't really been hostile to EGS games.

I guess there's also the possibility that they can give backers a download of a clean ISO or EXE that isn't associated with EGS or Steam.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Developers always have the choice of selling on EGS while still selling on other services (assuming Epic will even have them)

Phil Spencer said that reason Microsoft games won't come to Epic Game Store is because they have rule of "what other stores they can be available in".
It seems CD Project Red (Cyberpukn 2077) and Paradox (Bloodlines 2) are only ones who have made to EGS without exclusives.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Why is it too late? Just today I redeemed a Kickstarter key for an Early Access Kickstarter game......I can't even download it though since the EXE/binary won't actually be posted for quite some time.

Admittedly, a lot of these hypotheticals rely on Valve/Steam being accommodating, but thus far they haven't really been hostile to EGS games.

I guess there's also the possibility that they can give backers a download of a clean ISO or EXE that isn't associated with EGS or Steam.

Because game is releasing as full product and not as Early Access game. It was never advertised as Early Access game either. Valve knows that and if Ys tried to do that now they would be breaching Steam ToS.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
What I don't understand is: if Deep Silver, YsNet and Yu Suzuki are in E3, why they can't discuss the thing here instead of waiting to return to their respective parts of the world and start a mail/video conference to decide what to do? The whole statement is a bullshit just to get some more time.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because game is releasing as full product and not as Early Access game. It was never advertised as Early Access game either. Valve knows that and if Ys tried to do that now they would be breaching Steam ToS.
I'm not doubting your claim, but I don't really know about this stuff so I am curious.....what part of the Steam ToS would they be violating? How is this different than some other game giving early access to people who pre-ordered or bought a Deluxe Edition? I mean obviously it's different in the sense that they would be giving access a year in advance rather than a few days in advance (as is common for Deluxe Edition buyers), but I am curious if and how it is explicitly forbade on Steam.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phil Spencer said that reason Microsoft games won't come to Epic Game Store is because they have rule of "what other stores they can be available in".
It seems CD Project Red (Cyberpukn 2077) and Paradox (Bloodlines 2) are only ones who have made to EGS without exclusives.

If a game is on Epic Store, its pretty simple:
- It's been paid for exclusivity.
- It's going to be or it was free.
- They tried to pay for exclusivity but couldn't. Yet the game is too big to pass on.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not doubting your claim, but I don't really know about this stuff so I am curious.....what part of the Steam ToS would they be violating? How is this different than some other game giving early access to people who pre-ordered or bought a Deluxe Edition? I mean obviously it's different in the sense that they would be giving access a year in advance rather than a few days in advance (as is common for Deluxe Edition buyers), but I am curious if and how it is explicitly forbade on Steam.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
What I don't understand is: if Deep Silver, YsNet and Yu Suzuki are in E3, why they can't discuss the thing here instead of waiting to return to their respective parts of the world and start a mail/video conference to decide what to do? The whole statement is a bullshit just to get some more time.
They also post an KS update titled A message from Ys Net, Epic Games and Deep Silver
I am looking forward to updates that pins the blame entirely to Epic with no solution for the Epic sell out.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hmmm they could be smart and alleviate some outrage over this debate by offering refunds, instead of trying to move goalpost over to why key issue can't be solved when they are COMPLETELY intent on fucking the backers.

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
No honestly mate it takes five minutes just to load a single page on resetera at the minute

My VPN doesn't work in China, Google is blocked etc etc. My lifeline right now is you answering my dumb questions
I think you need to rephrase what you're asking. It doesn't make sense.

The issue is that they're only handing out Epic keys.

3rdman

May 25, 2018
I am very, very out of the loop for real, I still haven't even watched the Banjo Kazooie reveal, I just know it exists. I have seen virtually noothing of E3, just tidbits
Recap...during S3's presentation, it was announced that the game would be exclusive to the EGS. All kick starters were moved to that store and nothing was stated from them about honoring any existing orders. Many began writing to KS, Fangamer, YsNet etc to demand confirmation of a Steam release or refund. Those that did got a form letter telling everyone "no refund".

People took to the forums to gripe and literally every page someone would pop in and ask what the big deal is and "Its just a launcher" became a meme. People were banned left and right (including myself).

The related companies when asked are simply telling everyone to ask someone else...nobody can give us a straight answer so its led to speculation that the agreement was done without Yu Suzuki's knowledge. When pressed, they released a statement asking everyone to stop pestering them as they need time to "assess" the situation from the comfort of their homes thousands of miles away from skeptical voices.

So that is the state if things right now...no money back, no steam, no comment. All caught up... :)

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018

Give an Epic key at launch and a Steam one later, problem solved. Or offer a refund if you don't want to do that.

Oct 27, 2017
Totally behind the Shenmue Kickstarter backers here. The way these three companies have used and abused long time fans loyalty and trust is absolutely pathetic. It shows no one in any of these companies value the customer one single solitary bit.

Now having said that I don't get why people think Steam should provide keys and the infrastructure for a deal that is basically designed to FUCK steam. As far as I am aware Valve has not made a single solitary penny out of the Shenmue 3 kickstarter yet people are expecting steam to allow keys to be created and shoulder the burden of people downloading Shenmue 3 for free.

You know the kicker though, steam probably would do it because whilst it would mean short term pain it would reap the long term rewards that come with being a reasonable, reliable customer focused digital store. I don't think it is fair to expect steam keys for a game that is now embroiled in a deal designed specifically to damage steam. However I do think everyone that backed the game expecting a steam key should get a full refund.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
I´m at the point now, wheter or not i get a refund (and that is the only solution to this mess), where i´ll straight up boycott every company/entity involved.
Epic? Will never use their store or buy a game from them.
Deep silver/THQ? Will never buy a game from them again. There were already on the shitlist with their 8chan shit this year, this just further cements my decision.
Suzuki/Ys Net? I legit don´t care anymore.

Also, I´m gonna boycott every single game that runs on the unreal engine. If i really just cannot bare to not play a game, i´ll wait a year or two for the used game market to be flooded with used copies, so that if i buy a used copy, there are enough on the market that no one that wants a used copy would have to resort to buy a new one. I will not contribute in any way shape or form to epic, even if it would be in the most roundabout way. I´m done.

Hell yeah i´m petty like that. If i don´t get a refund, i´ll consider my money stolen by the entities above.

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
Give an Epic key at launch and a Steam one later, problem solved. Or offer a refund if you don't want to do that.
That is unacceptable for me. I refuse to install the Epic client in protest of what they are doing to PC gaming. A Steam key in a year means that I will be forced to arbitrarily wait a year while they have my money and the game's value and price plummets.

I guarantee you the game plus it's DLC will be cheaper than $30 in November of 2020.

It's either Steam key at launch or complete refund. There is no middle ground or anything less that I'm willing to accept.

Edit: I should add that I'm worried they aren't going to do either at this point, which is why I'm frustrated.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
I´m at the point now, wheter or not i get a refund (and that is the only solution to this mess), where i´ll straight up boycott every company/entity involved.
Deep silver/THQ? Will never buy a game from them again. There were already on the shitlist with their 8chan shit this year, this just further cements my decision.

Also, I´m gonna boycott every single game that runs on the unreal engine. If i really just cannot bare to not play a game, i´ll wait a year or two for the used game market to be flooded with used copies, so that if i buy a used copy, there are enough on the market that no one that wants a used copy would have to resort to buy a new one. I will not contribute in any way shape or form to epic, even if it would be in the most roundabout way. I´m done.

Hell yeah i´m petty like that. If i don´t get a refund, i´ll consider my money stolen by the entities above.
thats a whooooole lot of games running on UE4

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You might as well just quit gaming if you don't want to touch a product that has touched the fucking unreal engine.

It's the internet forum equivilent of a when keeping it real goes wrong skit from chappelle's show.

Oct 27, 2017
You might as well just quit gaming if you don't want to touch a product that has touched the fucking unreal engine.

It's the internet forum equivilent of a when keeping it real goes wrong skit from chappelle's show.

Not really most of the main studios have moved away from the Unreal Engine. I know EA uses it's own engine called frostbite (they fucked up enough games with it). Ubisoft uses their own engine, bethesda use their own engine. It just seems to be the smaller publishers and indie that seem to still use the engine, I can't even remember the last time I bought a game powered by unreal but then my game purchasing has dropepd drastically over the past few years.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Not really most of the main studios have moved away from the Unreal Engine. I know EA uses it's own engine called frostbite (they fucked up enough games with it). Ubisoft uses their own engine, bethesda use their own engine. It just seems to be the smaller publishers and indie that seem to still use the engine, I can't even remember the last time I bought a game powered by unreal but then my game purchasing has dropepd drastically over the past few years.
Uh no.. Most still use UE4.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017

Not really. Seems actually pretty easy, when i looked up what games coming up are running on it.
And it becomes real easy when i remember that a cut of my money for the game goes to the people involved that stole 60$ bucks from me.

More than enough games not on unreal engine.

Oct 27, 2017
Uh no.. Most still use UE4.

So you are saying EA do not use their own ingame engine called frostbite, Ubisoft do not use their own game engine, Bethesda have never used Unreal as far as I know. Like I said the main big publishers all use their own propriety engine and development tools. The only area that still uses Unreal Engine are medium level developers and indie developers.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not that crowdfunding is a popular thing to do right now but I think this has killed it for good. I get game development is a fluid process where things change all the time, but there was no excuse to not offer what backers really paid money for in the first place. It makes you look bad and makes backers distrustful of the crowdfunding process to begin with.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

That's going to be a lot of games to boycott. Doesn't Nintendo use UE4 for a lot of their games? I'm totally onboard with everything else.

Oct 25, 2017
So you are saying EA do not use their own ingame engine called frostbite, Ubisoft do not use their own game engine, Bethesda have never used Unreal as far as I know. Like I said the main big publishers all use their own propriety engine and development tools. The only area that still uses Unreal Engine are medium level developers and indie developers.

But their output makes up a very small percentage of all games being made. Unless you want to stick to only their games, you're almost certainly going to want to play something developed with UE4.

Just take a look. The list is pretty big.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
The Outer Worlds is on Windows Store

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The Outer Worlds is on Windows Store
But it still has an exclusivity deal. Or rather a "not on Steam" deal

We literally have quotes from devs of how Epic only wanted their games if they signed an exclusivity deal, not allowing them to release the game on EGS AND Steam, so they didn't release the game on EGS at all, even though they wanted to.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
User Banned (5 Days): Ignoring Staff Post; Previous Ban for Similar Arguments
I stand on my opinion that not all backers, but only those who pledged at the times when Steam was explicitly mentioned (after the main campaign: slacker backer and late pledge upgrades) really deserve the right to be refunded.

But, at this point, I would like Deep Silver to offer refunds to everyone, to be able to see how many people actually ask for it.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if I can get a refund from Deep Silver for the Vita copy of Mighty Number 9 that they sold me (not on Kickstarter, but as a retail product, since the PS4 version was sold as including the Vita version).

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
That is unacceptable for me. I refuse to install the Epic client in protest of what they are doing to PC gaming. A Steam key in a year means that I will be forced to arbitrarily wait a year while they have my money and the game's value and price plummets.

I guarantee you the game plus it's DLC will be cheaper than $30 in November of 2020.

It's either Steam key at launch or complete refund. There is no middle ground or anything less that I'm willing to accept.

Edit: I should add that I'm worried they aren't going to do either at this point, which is why I'm frustrated.
I am in the same state of mind on this. Plus I am at a tier that is supposed to get physical Steam copy and early access version, and of course neither of these will happen now.

Status
Not open for further replies.