• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
I stand on my opinion that not all backers, but only those who pledged at the times when Steam was explicitly mentioned (after the main campaign: slacker backer and late pledge upgrades) really deserve the right to be refunded.

But, at this point, I would like Deep Silver to offer refunds to everyone, to be able to see how many people actually ask for it.
Doubling down on that hot take after the suspension huh? Bold move lol

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I stand on my opinion that not all backers, but only those who pledged at the times when Steam was explicitly mentioned (after the main campaign: slacker backer and late pledge upgrades) really deserve the right to be refunded.

But, at this point, I would like Deep Silver to offer refunds to everyone, to be able to see how many people actually ask for it.

Here we go again

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

Jesus H Christ, did you read the staff post for the second time?

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bart1qko8.gif

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
After all this nonsense, I changed my pledge to PS4. However, I'm afraid after re-evaluating the situation, they might honor Steam keys to those who pledged that way originally, but it may be too late for me since I already changed my pledge.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
I haven´t changed to the PS4 physical yet. Waiting on refund info (not for long anymore though).

If i don´t get a refund i´ll get the ps4 one, sell it to someone to deny a new sale.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Surely that can't be right. There's no fucking way they'd do digital distribution where you can literally only download the game you bought one time. That's too fucking bonkers to be true.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
I bet it isn't the game, just the DLC items that you can only download once. Maybe they vanish if you uninstall the game.

Utterly ridiculous if so.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's worded unclearly, so yes. In this case you're downloading a license to access the DLC content in the game. You would only download something like that once per account, after which point it is perpetually tied to your game.

That's giving them a lot of leeway. Bought and activated are both better words than "downloaded". Which is not to say you're wrong, just that it's easy to chalk this up as another way Epic just can't get anything right - 2 words that clearly define something, but they go for a third word which is moronic if they mean it, and dumb if they don't.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Wait wait wait. So is this like literally exclusive on Epic? Or is it also still on ps4? Because i just read the news on gamespot and it says it is pc exclusive on epic like literally

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
The one time download thing is the "Peking Power Starter Pack". I assume this is some kind of stat boost cheat thing.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Not really most of the main studios have moved away from the Unreal Engine. I know EA uses it's own engine called frostbite (they fucked up enough games with it). Ubisoft uses their own engine, bethesda use their own engine. It just seems to be the smaller publishers and indie that seem to still use the engine, I can't even remember the last time I bought a game powered by unreal but then my game purchasing has dropepd drastically over the past few years.

So let me get this straight: you're saying you'd happily boycott all Unreal Engine games just to stick it to Epic because of their anti-Steam approach. Then, as your reasoning for why this isn't actually a big deal for you personally, you list three publishers you'd still buy games from that have already abandoned Steam in favour of their own storefronts.

EDIT: My bad, it turns out Bethesda still has upcoming releases on Steam. I should've done my due diligence before posting. That said, recent Ubisoft and EA titles are still not on Steam.

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Wait wait wait. So is this like literally exclusive on Epic? Or is it also still on ps4? Because i just read the news on gamespot and it says it is pc exclusive on epic like literally

It's still on PS4

So let me get this straight: you're saying you'd happily boycott all Unreal Engine games just to stick it to Epic because of their anti-Steam approach. Then, as your reasoning for why this isn't actually a big deal for you personally, you list three publishers you'd still buy games from that have already abandoned Steam in favour of their own storefronts.

Bethesda came back to Steam

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone involved in Ys net reads this post the ONLY acceptable resolution to this is to give original backers of the kickstarter the option to get a Steam version of the game even if they changed their selection to PS4 after the Epic deal was announced.

As someone who pledged $100 the first day of the kickstarter I refuse to give any support to the Epic store for any exclusive game released.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I guess they were paid a lot. But this is just handled so badly. I feel for the PC backers. I'm also a bit confused about the collector's edition on pre-order right now. As a $300 backer I expected a collector's edition and not seeing yet another one on sale for everyone to buy. Not that I care that much, I pre-ordered that too (just take my Money). But still. To me it's a bit weird for a Kickstarter game.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
After all this nonsense, I changed my pledge to PS4. However, I'm afraid after re-evaluating the situation, they might honor Steam keys to those who pledged that way originally, but it may be too late for me since I already changed my pledge.
Ys net can't offer Steam keys at launch unless the game is for sale on Steam at launch. They can promise the possibility of a Steam key one year from release but I would not trust a single company anymore associated with Deep Silver.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Weekend is over. Hope to hear from them soon. Untill then my survey answer stays on Ps4

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Ys.net can't offer Steam keys at launch unless the game is for sale on Steam at launch. They can promise the possibility of Steam key one year from release but I wouldn't trust a company anymore associated with Deep Silver.
Ah I forgot about that limitation. I agree that trusting Deep Silver to give Steam keys for free 1 year later is a risky proposition. PS4 sounds like a much safer bet.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Ah I forgot about that limitation. I agree that trusting Deep Silver to give Steam keys for free 1 year later is a risky proposition. PS4 sounds like a much safer bet.
There is always the small possibility a deal with Valve could be in place for backers but I find this scenario highly unlikely. Valve have no reason to change their terms for Deep Silver, who keep pulling their games in dramatic fashion. Probably the last publisher right now Valve would want to make an exception for. The only reason Metro Exodus was allowed Steam keys is because the game was already for sale on Steam via pre order before it was pulled.

Deleted member 7156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ys net can't offer Steam keys at launch unless the game is for sale on Steam at launch. They can promise the possibility of a Steam key one year from release but I would not trust a single company anymore associated with Deep Silver.

Offering a Steam Key a year later is a slap in the face. The people that paid ahead for the project to even exist would be the last ones to have access to it.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it would. In this case my guess is they offer an epic key at launch and then a steam key one year later. It's really the only move they can make if they aren't offering refunds or not canceling the exclusive agreement. But the damage to the Shenmue ip is already done. Hope Epic paid enough to fund Shenmue 4 as well because there won't be nearly as much fan interest anymore. Which is ironic because the fans helped bring this franchise back.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
So anyone willing to take a guess how long until they will come back with a statement saying that egs still is the best and that backers can go screw themselves?

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
So anyone willing to take a guess how long until they will come back with a statement saying that egs still is the best and that backers can go screw themselves?
It depends on who "they" is. Is it YsNet, Deep Silver, Awesome Japan or Suzuki (doubtful). I actually reckon the they is more telling than the when.

I don't think we'll hear anything from Epic, not that they would say much.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
It depends on who "they" is. Is it YsNet, Deep Silver, Awesome Japan or Suzuki (doubtful). I actually reckon the they is more telling than the when.

I don't think we'll hear anything from Epic, not that they would say much.

A joint statement by YsNet and Deep Silver seems the most likely. If every party involved releases their own statement I'd expect it to get messy

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Does china block the thread title which says read the staff post?
No but with loading times being what they are for me I would surmise today might be a bad time to learn how threadmarks work, wouldn't you agree? Anyway, this is none of your business but I'm out here alone with a gimped VPN dealing with a stolen phone and I have little to no patience for this magnitude of problem right now.

If you would like to walk me through the threadmark process, you can DM me; otherwise you and the several others who responded can either go take a shower and cool yourselves off, or just make the choice within yourselves not to pollute the thread with crappy energy whenever somebody makes an innocent faux pas.

I put down money for the Kickstarter on PC; I hope things work out but I'm not too worried yet.

Oct 31, 2017
Well, of course they will.
I don't expect the agreement to change. What I expect to happen is the devs going back to Epic/Sweeney, asking "Wait a minute, what's this bullshit backlash? this is not going as you told us it would!".
Sweeney then will say something "Don't worry, it's all internet bullshit, you'll sell a lot, everything is fine. Just take these extra money for good measure and shut your dirty mouth".
Ys Net on social media: "After some deliberation we decided that Epic exclusivity is in the best interests of the studio and the franchise!".

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Well, of course they will.
I don't expect the agreement to change. What I expect to happen is the devs going back to Epic/Sweeney, asking "Wait a minute, what's this bullshit backlash? this is not going as you told us it would!".
Sweeney then will say something "Don't worry, it's all internet bullshit, you'll sell a lot, everything is fine. Just take these extra money for good measure and shut your dirty mouth".
Ys Net on social media: "After some deliberation we decided that Epic exclusivity is in the best interests of the studio and the franchise!".

Then Shenmue III sells terribly on PC just like Metro Exodus.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Whats is this nonsense!

9pxcp7bkwq431.png

credit too the r/fuckepic group.

Download once sounds odd. What happens when you restart the game in a new save?

I'm not sure but maybe it's a one time download thing because they're items you get in the game but pre-ordering just gives you them early? "The Peking Starter Pack" name definitely gives this vibe. Pretty sure I've seen this done before - Red Dead Redemption 2 with extra cash and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided come to mind. This is just a guess though and the only explanation I can think of.

Edit | Actually, looking at it I'm 100% right. The Peking Power Starter pack has a * next to it:

ri1efwu.png

I think the "This set can be downloaded only once per account" should have a * next to it to indicate it's only referring to the Peking Power Starter Pack. Will probably be a couple of items to give you a head start in the game. All the other items will be added to your game it's just the starter pack that is single use.

Last edited:

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
This whole thing is a textbook case of how not to do a Kickstarter. Don't create a conflict of interest between your business partners and your backers.

Not only have you mislead and confused backers (I'm not surprised to see backers tossing up between refund, switch to PS4, or hope they honour the Steam keys), but there's absolutely no transparency here around who is making what decisions and what can be done.

Part of Ys "assessing the situation" will probably be them ascertaining if there is anything they can do, and whether or not Deep Silver has committed them to something they can't break out of.

Mess.

Oct 27, 2017

EDIT: My bad, it turns out Bethesda still has upcoming releases on Steam. I should've done my due diligence before posting. That said, recent Ubisoft and EA titles are still not on Steam.

Since EA moved to Origin I haven't touched a single game other than Mass Effect 3. Since their move to Oriign I do not feel compelled enough to play any of their shit. I don't like the battlefield series, I can't stand sport games and for the life of me I can't even think of anything else they make. I merely mentioned EA because they are a huge publisher that does not use the Unreal Engine.

As for Ubisoft I don't buy their games either because I find Uplay the biggest sack of crap since Microsoft GFWL. This is a bit of a shame cos I do at least find some of their content compelling but again not compelling enough to infest my PC with their shitty client. However I mentioned Ubisoft because they are a developer that does not use Unreal Engine.

Bethesda you already realised your mistake and I do play their games I love Fallout. However my post was not about MY buying habits it was about how most of the main publishers have abandoned the Unreal Engine in favour of inhouse engines. As far as I can see the only big publisher that still uses Unreal Engine is Microsoft. At no point did I say I WAS boycotting Unreal Engine I was just saying how Unreal Engine does not quite have the stranglehold it once had. However it is perfectly possible to enjoy much of gaming without bothering with Unreal Engine games.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
This whole thing is a textbook case of how not to do a Kickstarter. Don't create a conflict of interest between your business partners and your backers.

Not only have you mislead and confused backers (I'm not surprised to see backers tossing up between refund, switch to PS4, or hope they honour the Steam keys), but there's absolutely no transparency here around who is making what decisions and what can be done.

Part of Ys "assessing the situation" will probably be them ascertaining if there is anything they can do, and whether or not Deep Silver has committed them to something they can't break out of.

Mess.

Yeah, i do not think we will see any successful Kickstarter video game ventures at least in the near future.
The recent events have killed the whole idea.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
December 29, 2019 because the game will be delayed again to sell more collectors edition that backers will see in envy and to actually make the DLC for the season pass that backers won't get.

Status
Not open for further replies.