• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
No this is not fake. And yes, he really did tweet this:

Zps56Uf.png
He is totally fucking with PC gamers. I don't know how anyone can support Epic in any shape or form.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I seriously had to do a double....no, no triple take when reading this.
As someone else pointed out, this is the CEO talking this way!

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how this man just keeps coming back after constantly getting dunked on with the obvious grifting.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I guess he's equating Fortnite players with PC gamers and is saying that Fortnite players love loot boxes because Epic makes a lot of money from them?
Or else I have no idea what he's talking about.

This flippant attempt at some kind of joke response to the situation just further solidifies the impression below.
The Committee seemed unimpressed by the squirming responses they were being offered throughout the hearing. Neither Epic nor Fortnite, it emerged, have done any research into potentially harmful levels of engagement with their games. Epic doesn't know the ages of its Fortnite players because it doesn't check ("for us, we're really just seeing PlayStation player number 10,000 is engaging"). "If I was a parent who was concerned about my child's use of Fortnite, I think listening to your testimony would not give me any encouragement at all that this was an issue that you cared about," said committee chair Damian Collins at one point.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I really need some logical context for why he'd tweet that. I'm surprised he'd want to bring up loot boxes at all given the monetization in his Fortnite, even if he's just making a joke (is this a joke?). It's doubly weird because it's a reference to a hearing where his own company had a representative making similarly ridiculous and quotable claims. Maybe he just doesn't care about image anymore and is going for the most boisterous tweets he can to grab attention. Sort of a familiar style from modern politics...

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Shameless self-quote:

The annoying thing isn't that he expects Valve's help; it's that Valve wouldn't act in the way he has continually asserted since the proverbial shit hit the fan. I get the strong impression that he's throwing out his disingenuous inferences to see if Valve will bite, and if there is no correction (formal or otherwise), then he'll feel he's free to claim that Steam keys were sought but the request was denied, much like how EA publicly blamed the removal of Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2 on Valve shortly after Origin "launched".

Sweeney is obfuscating the situation as best he can as he doesn't actually want to fix it. As others have pointed out, the reason Epic has set its sights on successful crowdfunding campaigns is that buying backers = buying customers.

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
Lazy Valve holding everything back by not issuing a statement on a situation they didn't create and have no responsibility for.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Epic getting all of the money is actually top secret good for gamers - you see this way Epic gets all of the money! Thank you I'll have a comment out for you sometime this decade maybe

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I just want clarification so I can switch my backer selection to PS4 for resale purposes. I'd prefer a refund of course, but I don't see it happening. Actually at this point I probably won't play the game at all. I tend to get negative connotations associated with things and can't shake them. This is all sorts of negative.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

Lol I like how he says "caught up I the middle of this". Epic and Deep Silver put Ys Net and other parties in this situation. But as I said before staying silent works because media doesn't care and there is not enough buzz around to make them worry that much.

Lol

Stop dragging Valve into this mess, they have nothing to do with this for the love of god.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Lol I like how he says "caught up I the middle of this". Epic and Deep Silver put Ys Net and other parties in this situation. But as I said before staying silent works because media doesn't care and there is not enough buzz around to make them worry that much.

Lol

Stop dragging Valve into this mess, they have nothing to do with this for the love of god.

What the hell does Valve got to do with this.

Seriously, fuck ppl with messiah complex.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Sweeney is pathetic. The way he paints Steam as the evil one in the whole picture is so hilarious, it makes me sad. He "bought" Shenmue 3 and now Steam is the evil dude for not allowing X keys generation for a game they will be able to sell one year later starting november 2020.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Sweeney is pathetic. The way he paints Steam as the evil one in the whole picture is so hilarious, it makes me sad. He "bought" Shenmue 3 and now Steam is the evil dude for not allowing X keys generation for a game they will be able to sell one year later starting november 2020.

Except there's nothing indicating Steam refused or was even asked.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, of course. Even because if Ys wants to offer Steam keys one year later...there's literally nothing Steam can refuse. Because at that point Steam will sell the game too and there's no reason to deny keys to backers.
I just want to point out that the other KS game Epic got (Phoenix Point) promised exactly that, Steam keys in a year.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Has Sweeney stated what the difference is between the Shenmue 3 situation and Phoenix Point? If not, anyone want to ask him on Twitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.