• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Just got this from Kickstarter:

A message from Ys Net, Epic Games and Deep Silver

Hello Everyone,

We want to make sure that the Backers are aware that we are listening to their concerns. We kindly ask all our fans to have some patience, we are currently at E3 demoing the game and need to get back to our respective offices to assess the situation and together find a way forward to justify the trust you placed in us.

Thank you for your patience and support.

Inquires

Kickstarter Campaign Inquiries

For inquiries regarding the Kickstarter Campaign, please email us at [email protected].

Epic Games Store General Sales Inquiries

For inquiries regarding the General Sales such as Epic Games Store exclusive or Pre-Order, please see our FAQ page. For other inquiries please visit Deep Silver customer support.

Mod Edit: Preceding thread here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 28, 2017
Hopefully at least backers get Steam keys at launch, not after the timed exclusivity, or a refund if they wish.

Deep Silver, however, in the coming years, are going to have a rough future on PC...

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Should have done that before the deal lol.
Can't say I feel for kickstarters that don't respect their backers and recognize that is the first demographic they should try to make happy as best as they can.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully at least backers get Steam keys at launch, not after the timed exclusivity, or a refund if they wish.

Deep Silver, however, in the coming years, are going to have a rough future on PC...
they won't get steam keys at launch because there won't be a steam release at the launch of the game.

hopefully however, they get their money back, although it's so many people, i'm sure they'll be fine because of the publisher support.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Good, give people their damn money back.

This goes south and Kickstarter themselves will feel the blowback too.

Honestly, the damage might already be done in that regard tbh. I know Ill never look at backing the same way again as long as this crap is going on.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Unsure what they and deep silver expected? Especially after what happened with Metro, nothing should come as a surprise when EGS Exclusivity pops up. I figure it was just a case of "Let's get that money and ask for forgiveness later".

If they can offer refunds to those who want it and a give backers both a EGS key and Steam Key after the exclusivity, that'll go a long.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Should have done that before the deal lol.
Can't say I feel for kickstarters that don't respect their backers and recognize that is the first demographic they should try to make happy as best as they can.

I don't think YS net expected it to go this bad. Deep Silver though should have been more aware since they literally just had the same issue with Metro.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
I don't think YS net expected it to go this bad. Deep Silver though should have been more aware since they literally just had the same issue with Metro.
How could YS net not have expected it? It seems like such an easy thing to see. Exclusives on pc get a bad reaction and crowdfunded ones get an even worse one.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Oculus proved that you can say fuck you to your backers with few negative consequences
Wasn't much a comment about any potential consequences. I actually agree and have noted in the other thread that there likely won't be any consequences if they don't care(like they could easily just take the money and push through). But it seems this has been a pr disaster to an extent that they felt like they had to issue this statement so who knows.
Maybe that just sounds really stupid though. You lead your customers to believe they're going to receive a specific thing and then tell them they can't get it cause you got more money from someone else.
To me on paper that is just the absolute heigth of disrespect towards the people that funded you based on pure goodwill.
It might actually rank for me as worse than a kickstarter just going radio silent. At least that is born out of problems/cowardice to face your backers. But this is enriching yourself at the cost of your backers.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Could this be due to people in the EU having a legit case against them cause of bait-and-switch and refusing refunds?

I am not sure how the laws work with crowdfunding, but this was brought up by someone in the other thread and I wonder.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
How could YS net not have expected it? It seems like such an easy thing to see. Exclusives on pc get a bad reaction and crowdfunded ones get an even worse one.
Yeah, Phoenix Point exclusivity deal was announced like 3-4 month ago, you can hardly be more similar than that.
Still being ignorant to what going EGS exclusive actually mean to many of the backer makes you ridiculously blind to the market you work in, which is no good excuse.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unsure what they and deep silver expected? Especially after what happened with Metro, nothing should come as a surprise when EGS Exclusivity pops up. I figure it was just a case of "Let's get that money and ask for forgiveness later".

If they can offer refunds to those who want it and a give backers both a EGS key and Steam Key after the exclusivity, that'll go a long.
Ys Net probably didn't expect anything.
Deep Silver probably knew this was going to happen, but didn't care.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
Yeah, Phoenix Point exclusivity deal was announced like 3-4 month ago, you can hardly be more similar than that.
Still being ignorant to what going EGS exclusive actually mean to many of the backer makes you ridiculously blind to the market you work in, which is no good excuse.

I very much believe they, like everyone else, know the reaction, they just don't care or expected it to blow over (I mean even on here people have said how after a month no one will care about epic exclusives)

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017

Thing is japanese devs in general are pretty ignorant about anything outside of Japan. Remember when Capcom hired that guy for Dantes theme , a simple google search could have stopped that.

Deep silver prolly pitched it as " oh yea these guys have fortnite , biggest game in the world ...blah blah"

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I very much believe they, like everyone else, know the reaction, they just don't care or expected it to blow over (I mean even on here people have said how after a month no one will care about epic exclusives)
I have no doubt that's true when it comes to Deep Silver.

YS net I don't know, I agree with Shadoken when it come to japanese devs often still being ignorant to many things, even more so when PC gaming is involved. But as I said, even if that's the case here, that's still no excluse.

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017
i mean if they were truly concerned they would of asked all vested interests before storming ahead with this.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And it'll happen again. Get that sweet paycheck from Sweeny for the first year of exclusivity, then rely on Steam a year later for long-term sales. Hilariously, they're still using the Steam platform to market their games and communicate with customers.
I would love for Valve to stop this shit. If Epic want to do this shit then they should ban the games from there until they release on Steam.

We need some pushback at Epic's bullshit.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
I mean, probably because they're a Japanese development team who've been busy making a game. I wouldn't expect them to have been following internet reactions to the Epic Game Store and using it to make in-house decisions about how best to publish their game, that's like literally the job of the publisher.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
Thing is japanese devs in general are pretty ignorant about anything outside of Japan. Remember when Capcom hired that guy for Dantes theme , a simple google search could have stopped that.

Deep silver prolly pitched it as " oh yea these guys have fortnite , biggest game in the world ...blah blah"

I am aware of Japanese devs generally being a tad ignorant of PC stuff, but I do not think like the gap is as big as it used to be and knowing that third-party exclusivity deals don't go over well does not require intimate knowledge of the current pc landscape.

Also, I doubt they would make such a decision without zero research into it. I cant believe a deal like this is signed without any research and even a google search will show them what they were in for

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
What is there to assess? Give Steam Keys to Kickstarter people that want them, then sell retail to EPIC store, I don't give a shit

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If assessing the situation doesn't involve offering refunds, they've not listened to anyone's concerns at all. If Epic can pay for the exclusive, they don't need my money anymore, so they can give it back.

But frankly I think they're just gonna try their hardest to not part with any cash. I've changed my pledge to PS4 and I'll be selling it to try and recoup my money and deny them a new sale.

And it'll happen again. Get that sweet paycheck from Sweeny for the first year of exclusivity, then rely on Steam a year later for long-term sales. Hilariously, they're still using the Steam platform to market their games and communicate with customers.
Valve need to do something about this. Developers are peacocking themselves on Steam until Epic, using Sergey's tools, get metrics on the most anticipated games on the platform, before offering the exclusivity.

They should find a way to stop it, because right now Epic and the developers/publishers who sign these exclusives are getting free marketing off of Valve's dime.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
This is going to be another epic blunder like metro exodus where they'll say that they'll never let it happen again, isn't it.

What a bunch of clowns

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
even a google search will show them what they were in for

lol Thats kinda why I brought up Capcom. A giant AAA publisher that makes most of its money from the West , couldnt be bothered to do a simple google search on the vocalist of their game.

Not really excusing them , but shit like this has happened before.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Once the time esclusivity is over, will people be paying full price on Steam and other storefronts for a year old game, or should we expect a big price drop?

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
What is there to assess? Give Steam Keys to Kickstarter people that want them, then sell retail to EPIC store, I don't give a shit

Depending on how big that Epic money was , I am guessing they are going to give refunds. Giving backers Steam keys kinda beats the point of the Epic deal in the first place. Dont think Epic would allow them to do that.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
lol Thats kinda why I brought up Capcom. A giant AAA publisher that makes most of its money from the West , couldnt be bothered to do a simple google search on the vocalist of their game.

Not really excusing them , but shit like this has happened before.

I witnessed the whole capcom thing, I just personally still believe that a company will do a bit of research before they sign a deal concerning the distribution of their first product.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Once the time esclusivity is over, will people be paying full price on Steam and other storefronts for a year old game, or should we expect a big price drop?
Depends.

If the game sells well then I would expect full price. If the game sells badly it will either be full price to maximize the profits or low price to try and milk profits.

The answer is we don't know yet.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

EPIC's CEO, everyone.

He could at least stop spreading so much bullshit on social media.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Depends.

If the game sells well then I would expect full price. If the game sells badly it will either be full price to maximize the profits or low price to try and milk profits.

The answer is we don't know yet.

I've had that question in my head since Metro came out. Quite curious to see where we are with this whole situation in a year time.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

I personally think they took the Epic deal because they know the game probably isn't going to review well or sell well to people who haven't backed the game already and they wanted the security blanket.

I think you're right though, regardless of their reasoning, it really is an anti-consumer move no matter how you look at it and I hope they fix the mess they have made.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Give people a refund or the option to wait one year to get a Steam key for the full version of the game (aka season pass included).

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing about this should have been a surprise. It was naive to think otherwise.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I can believe that Ys Net are not knowledgeable about PC gaming.

The bit I struggle with that not being intimately familiar with PC gaming is even more reason why they should have consulted with backers before making this decision.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I can't wait for them to back down slightly from the shitty thing they're doing to a slightly less shitty thing, and for the oncoming arguments of "well, they budged a little bit, therefore you're not allowed to complain at all anymore".

It's such a simple tactic and it works every time.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
There's very little to "assess." Either give backers who want it a full refund, or offer Steam keys to those who want it. Doing one or the other is the least thing they can do to make this right. Preferably, they'll give backers the option to either get a refund, get a Steam key, or stick with getting it on the Epic store.

Oct 30, 2017
I can't wait for them to back down slightly from the shitty thing they're doing to a slightly less shitty thing, and for the oncoming arguments of "well, they budged a little bit, therefore you're not allowed to complain at all anymore".

It's such a simple tactic and it works every time.
What do you want, a pound of flesh? They've done their damage and been raked over the coals. Let's see what they do.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

EPIC's CEO, everyone.

He could at least stop spreading so much bullshit on social media.

He's just pointing out that he never said they didn't ever want to do it again.

The fact he's pointing it out so nonchalantly is weird, though. Like, he really doesn't give a fuck how mad his tactics make people because he has a messiah complex. He genuinely thinks he's improving the future for his fellow developers/publishers, and gamers as a whole with his moneyhatting garbage.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Don't see the big deal personally, its just a different click away. But if people don't want it a certain way, they are more than ok to express that and hopefully get noticed.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Valve need to do something about this. Developers are peacocking themselves on Steam until Epic, using Sergey's tools, get metrics on the most anticipated games on the platform, before offering the exclusivity.

They should find a way to stop it, because right now Epic and the developers/publishers who sign these exclusives are getting free marketing off of Valve's dime.
"This is why we cant have nice things." This honestly so god damn annoying.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
"we are listening" is such an outplayed bullshit PR Line that it is not funny anymore.

They just either want to ride it out or make little gestures so that the critics can tear apart themselves with the "this is enough for me" crowd and the "is that all?" crowd.

Staff Post: Discussion Guidelines (read before posting)

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Just as a reminder from the last thread, we are asking members to please observe these guidelines while posting in this thread:

Official Staff Communication

Given the volatility in recent Epic Game Store related threads we have decided that some clearer guidelines are required to cultivate healthier discussion.

• Do not enter these threads in bad faith. If we conclude that your goal is to misrepresent the concerns of other users or rile people up, you will be moderated. Intent matters here. Honest questions or commentary about the differences and similarities between the Epic Games Store and other storefronts are fine. Deliberately and dismissively attempting to troll concerned members on those topics is not okay. These discussions must be held in good faith and in a civil manner.
  • As a reminder, antagonizing or engaging in personal attacks on other members is still against the rules. We have a large community with a wide range of preferences and personal priorities. Not everyone will feel the same way as you do on any given topic. If you feel a post is breaking a rule please report it and do not respond with hostility. If you choose to engage do so politely. We always check to see which users have a history of trouble in this area.
  • It is perfectly acceptable to want to wait for a game to be released on the storefront of your preference (ex: "I'll just wait for the Steam release.") It is not acceptable to troll threads because of storefront exclusivity timed or otherwise (ex: "So the real PC release is going to be a year later.") The latter is needlessly inflammatory and distracts from discussion. We will be scrutinizing these posts more closely going forward.
  • Do not advocate, defend, or admit to piracy under any circumstances. This is explicitly against our Terms of Service. There are no justifications that will make this acceptable.
Addendum: It's fine and often healthy to be critical of media coverage (ex: "I don't think this article is good and here's why"), but please avoid going down any rabbit holes with excessive vitriol and conspiracy theories (ex: "This outlet is clearly paid off because I don't agree with their coverage"). We've long had a general policy against hyperbolical vilification of the media and that rule has not been suspended.

Official Staff Communication
Shenmue III backers were offered Steam keys in their backer surveys and the fundraiser concluded before the Epic Games Store even existed. There is no reason to argue that backers were not promised a Steam release with part of their pledge. We are not interested in entertaining the conversation to the contrary, so please drop this line of discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.