• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Cover 1, 3 and 6 all look absolutely amazing! Wow. Good on them asking something like this, really appreciated.
Voted for 6 in the end, gives off the most 'epic' vibe of the bunch. Really hope that this will be a good port. Didn't play through Ys Memories of Celceta due to the Vita hardware dying down somewhat (don't like playing action games on it as the L1 and R1 toggles really suck on my 1000, never really recognizing my input - but my Vita is a launch unit, so I guess its best times are over... :( ... At least it's still capable of giving great experiences with more tactical games / RPGs that don't require fast shoulder button inputs).

E: those fantastic covers even make me rethink my original decision of buying this digitally. Might go for the physical edition if the right cover wins. :P

preta

Oct 25, 2017
I wish we had a release date for Y's. Hopefully Summer means June.
It's "Ys". No apostrophe. I don't understand why so many people continue to do this.

I like 3 for being the first piece of art we ever saw of Ys VIII (before the game was announced, even), and 1 is great as well, but really, 6 is the best and most fitting and representative one. It's Dana's game, after all.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I would love for this to be the date for North America as well. It's a good two weeks with this before jumping into Octopath Traveller. My fear is a lot of these JRPGs (I'm including Okami) will be dumped too close together this summer.
Hopefully this will be the same date for the EU release. Perfect timing between Dark Souls in May and Octopath Traveler in July.
Would be a bummer if it were to come out in July, too.
We now have the western dates as well -
June 26th for NA, June 29th for EU.

https://nintendoeverything.com/ys-v...n-june-26-in-north-america-june-29-in-europe/

Oct 28, 2017
That's great news. I hope to be done with Xenoblade 2 by then and ready to move on to the next JRPG. Now all I need to be happy with my Switch for a year is for ports of Bravely Default to come out. Why has this not happened yet!?

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
There's still some confusion about whether or not those errors are due to an unpatched review copy, but it's possible that NISA simply just didn't fix these parts of the game as part of the new localization. And that's pretty embarrassing, just another reason to avoid giving them money and support for cutting corners as much as possible.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Even better, this news has made it onto Hachima Blog: http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/9139082.html

It's so weird to see Western loc news make it to Japanese sites as popular as this so often. That's three Ys VIII-related articles for them now, and now it's for something NIS directly worked on. Quite the scandal.
Not that surprising, Hachima is strongly pro PS so anything with negative optics relating to PC or (especially) Nintendo will get plenty of coverage.

Also their politics are pretty gross.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Omg, the localisation is STILL fucked ?

Hmm that's weird. I just played the PS4 version and I don't remember the localization being as bad as the cases shown in that review. I certainly didn't encounter random Japanese text, and I'm pretty sure I talked to everyone.

Is it possible the Switch version still has the old script for some reason? Though I can't imagine why. Either way, hopefully they do another patch to fix some of those issues. It really is a fantastic game, is a shame to see it tainted by bad translation.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Falcom's on the phone with NISA cancelling that Cold Steel III and IV localization contract.

You say that but they're probably giving the green light instead. Toshihiro Konda has proved quite nicely that he cares more about money than he does about quality despite what he says. As long as it moves copies he will most likely not care about the company's reputation.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
They aren't even shitting on the Switch, they're just commenting on the fact that the translation is STILL a problem. Just look at that last comment from the actual poster of the blog: "Maybe Falcom shouldn't trust NIS with their games anymore...?"

I swear every other week the whole Ys VIII situation rears its ugly head again. The actual port for the game on Switch is solid, so it's a shame the translation is still poor and is taking up the spotlight.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
You say that but they're probably giving the green light instead. Toshihiro Konda has proved quite nicely that he cares more about money than he does about quality despite what he says. As long as it moves copies he will most likely not care about the company's reputation.
I hope he's not that dumb. He definitely doesn't care as much about this as he should, but the news of NISA's president pulling the PR rug under SNK wrt SNK Heroines recently is just one thing sending red flags everywhere. And he should know, if he's seen these articles, how unfit NISA is to localize Falcom's meatier games given the corners cut. Kondo and Falcom have a window to prove they care about the long-term growth of their Western market by only giving port projects to NIS, not whole deals to NISA, while continuing to work with XSEED on Trails and other games. Only when a Trails game goes to NISA can we certainly condemn Kondo.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
There's still some confusion about whether or not those errors are due to an unpatched review copy, but it's possible that NISA simply just didn't fix these parts of the game as part of the new localization. And that's pretty embarrassing, just another reason to avoid giving them money and support for cutting corners as much as possible.
The examples shown in the video were in the PC release too which had the new translations. I read they fixed it in a later PC patch but that's a whole different team so the Switch version is likely using the previous "translation fix".

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
The examples shown in the video were in the PC release too which had the new translations. I read they fixed it in a later PC patch but that's a whole different team so the Switch version is likely using the previous "translation fix".

If that's the case shouldn't it be fairly easy to patch in the new translation?

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
If that's the case shouldn't it be fairly easy to patch in the new translation?
I guess it all depends on how much negative feedback they get? The PC version was a disaster for NISA so they had to listen to peoples complaints to fix it and it's quicker to fix these things on PC since you can patch games whenever you want. If a lot of Switch owners don't complain about it (and I think most wont honestly) they'll likely leave it alone.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the same scene in the PC version when it was released with the new translation.

5DCDCC455C15E562EB3E637D76D69D5615F34724

DgEnYpKU0AAzWaZ.jpg:large

So I don't believe this is a case of the Switch version having the pre-fix translation.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I guess it all depends on how much negative feedback they get? The PC version was a disaster for NISA so they had to listen to peoples complaints to fix it and it's quicker to fix these things on PC since you can patch games whenever you want. If a lot of Switch owners don't complain about it (and I think most wont honestly) they'll likely leave it alone.
If they're going to bother patching on PC, I don't see why they wouldn't on Switch given it's sales potebtial? Did PS4 and Vita get these patches too?

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017

If there is an improved localization though it should be fairly easy to patch in, right? I wouldn't expect them to fix the localization again (Third time?) but since some believe it's not the final improved PC localization I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to switch to that version.

Localisation aside, the footage in that GameXplain review looked pretty good to me.

Yea, I thought it looked fine and glad they mentioned the performance was better in handheld mode then it was docked. Sounds like it should be a good portable experience.

Just not sure what to expect with the localization. I feel like it won't bother me too much as a retro gamer who has played through his share of poor localizations on older systems, but it really depends. Overall the reviews seem pretty good.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
If they're going to bother patching on PC, I don't see why they wouldn't on Switch given it's sales potebtial? Did PS4 and Vita get these patches too?
As far as I know neither the PS4/Vita haven't gotten another patch since the PC release, so they likely don't have those extra translation fixes.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Still planning to double dip on this one (already have it on PS4; I wanted to get the PC version, but I'm steering well clear of that one).

(A little off-topic, but what the hell happened to the price of the PS4 version? After a quick look, I can't find one at all for less than $75, and most are over $100.)

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Still planning to double dip on this one (already have it on PS4; I wanted to get the PC version, but I'm steering well clear of that one).

(A little off-topic, but what the hell happened to the price of the PS4 version? After a quick look, I can't find one at all for less than $75, and most are over $100.)
Seems they didn't print a lot of copies. I cannot find any physical non-second-hand anymore in Europe myself and the digital price i refuse to pay for the disrespect they did this game.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I know neither the PS4/Vita haven't gotten another patch since the PC release, so they likely don't have those extra translation fixes.
Could also be that they're waiting for all the text stuff being fixed in the PC version and rolling out a single patch, as console patching is expensive/annoying.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Omg, the localisation is STILL fucked ?

Great review. I think that sold me on the game Day 1. Let me tell you two things I'm not super interested in as a gamer: localization and FPS. If those are the only complaints: I'm IN.

Question: I watched another review and the theme I hear over and over again is that this game is about exploration. As someone who is a huge Xenoblade X fan, is the sense of discovery pretty close to that?

Last edited:

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
That is INSANE! Even the Vita version is over $50...

But seriously, Best buy (USA) has the PS4 version for regular price...

TK_Shrodes

Sega of America
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
San Mateo, CA
There's still some confusion about whether or not those errors are due to an unpatched review copy

Let me clear up that confusion,

Regarding the recent text issues brought up in review copies of the game, please be aware that these were all known issues and there are three planned patches beginning Launch Day. These patches address these text issues as well as other issues. Unfortunately, the patches were not available at the time the review codes were sent out and thus all previews reflect the game in its unpatched state.