• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tonton

Oct 25, 2017
ysviiibanner4suu7.png

[Under construction]
Release Info
Release Date:
PS4/Vita: September 12th, 2017
PC: April 16th, 2018
Switch: June 26th,(US) June 29th,(EU) 2018
Developer: Nihon Falcom
Publisher: NIS America, Inc.
Platform: PS4/Vita/Steam/GOG/Humble/Switch
Price: $60 (PS4/PC/Switch) $40 (Vita)
Language:
Voice: English & Japanese
Text: English, French and Japanese

PC System Requeriments:
MINIMUM:
Processor: Core i3-2100 3.10 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Geforce GTX 650 Ti
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 30 GB available space
Sound Card: Onboard
RECOMMENDED:
Processor: AMD FX-8320 8-Core
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Radeon R7 370
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 30 GB available space
Sound Card: Onboard

Links
PSN Store
PS4: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP1063-CUSA08565_00-YSVIIIGAME000000
Demo: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP1063-CUSA09233_00-YSVIIIPSNDEMO000
Vita: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP1063-PCSE01103_00-YSVIIIGAME000000
PC Stores

GOG: https://www.gog.com/game/ys_viii_lacrimosa_of_dana
Humble Store: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/ys-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana
Switch
Nintendo: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/ys-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana-switch
NISA LE: US https://store.nisamerica.com/ys-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana-limited-edition-switch, EU https://store.nisaeurope.com/collec...imosa-of-dana-limited-edition-nintendo-switch
Official Site: http://ysviii.com

Introduction
Ys returns with a brand new adventure for the first time in 8 years! Adol awakens shipwrecked and stranded on a cursed island. There, he and the other shipwrecked passengers he rescues form a village to challenge fearsome beasts and mysterious ruins on the isolated island. Amidst this, Adol begins to dream of a mysterious blue-haired maiden living in an unknown world. Join Adol as he unravels the riddle of the cursed isle and the blue-haired maiden Dana in Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA!

Characters
Adol
-Hailing from a nameless village in the Garman region of Europa, Adol left home at the age of sixteen to become an adventurer. Since then, he has counted the ancient kingdom of Ys and the uncharted Celceta region among his many travels. Despite his young age, he is respected as an expert adventurer.
Dana
-A mysterious blue-haired girl who appears in Adol's dreams. Despite her elegant appearance, she has a wild imagination and begaves rather recklesslt mych to the dismay of her peers.
Laxia
-Daughter of House Roswell, a noble family of Garman, who was aboard the Lombardia. Though she attempts to conduct herself with the dignity expected of a noble, her price and stubbornness undermine her efforts.
Sahad
-A lively fisherman from Greek with a cheerful demeanor. Due to his candid nature, he has a tendency to blurt things that greatly offend Laxia's sensibilities. However, he's very kindhearted and sensitive-when things get emotional, he is the first to cry.
Hummel
-An enigmatic transporter who keeps to himself on the Isle of Seiren. A professional through and through, he takes pride in his work as a transporter and will fulfill any request that is made of him. He is also a bit of a clean freak.
Ricotta
-A young girl who has been living on the Isle of Seiren before Adol and the others washes ashore there.

Gameplay
Battle
Damage Types
Each character in Ys VIII can have one of three different damage types. Enemies can be resistant or vulnerable to different damage types - switch characters often to exploit your foes' weaknesses!
Slash - Swords and blades inflict slash damage, effective against soft-bodied enemies.
Strike - Hammer and flail-like weapons deal strike damage, which is great at crushing armored enemies.
Pierce - Pointy weapons inflict pierce damage, effective against aerial enemies.
Break
Repeatedly attacking an enemy with an attack type it's weak to will eventually put it into Break status. Broken enemies become immobilized, become vulnerable to all attack types, and may drop rare items.

Skills
Skills are powerful, character-specific attacks that have unique abilities. Each character can assign up to 4 skills at once for easy access. Unleashing a skill takes SP; regenerate SP by landing a fully-charged normal attack.

Guarding and Dodging
Flash Guard
Guarding at the exact moment an enemy attack lands will activate Flash Guard! You'll take no damage and also deal guaranteed critical damage for a short period of time.

Flash Move
Dodging right before an enemy attack will activate Flash Move! This will slow time down for a short period of time, allowing you to rack up damage or reposition in a pinch.

EXTRA Skills
EXTRA Skills are Ys VIII's ultimate attacks. Using regular skills will charge your EXTRA Gauge. Once it's full, you can activate your character's EXTRA skill to deal huge amounts of damage!

Media

F.A.Q.
1. I've never played an Ys game before. Can I start with this one?
Absolutely! The majority of Ys games are standalone, self-contained stories and require no knowledge of other Ys games, and Ys VIII is no exception. All you need to know is that Adol is a handsome red-haired adventurer with a penchant for killing gods and wrecking ships. Each game will have callbacks and references to other Ys games, but these aren't necessary for understanding the plot.

2. What do series fans think of Ys VIII?
While the fanbase is mostly split over the two previous Ys games (SEVEN and Memories of Celceta), Ys VIII's reception has been extremely positive. Many longtime fans have called it their favorite game in the series, barring the unfortunate localization. Overall, Ys VIII has been praised for taking the ideas of the previous 3D Ys games and perfecting them.

3. What are the content differences between Vita/PS4/PC/Switch?
The PS4 version of the game had extra content compared to the Vita version, including extra story content, a new post-game dungeon, Suppression Mission, and more. Both the PC and Switch versions will also have this content.

4. Will the PC and Switch version get additional DLC?
The original launch deal is still in effect for the PC version. Buying the game during the first week will get you some costumes that won't be available afterwards. There's no PC-exclusive DLC.
Every copy of the Switch version of Ys VIII comes with a ton of free DLC whether you're an early adopter or not. This includes DLC that was previously PS4 and Vita exclusive.

5.How's PC performance?
We don't really know right now. Wait for impressions before buying if you want good performance.

6. I heard unsavory things about Ys VIII's localization. What's up with that?
NISA bungled the initial Ys VIII localization. It was terrible. Item descriptions were outright mistranslated, causing players to waste items. There are several examples where the English in the Japanese version is actually better than the English in NISA's version. The entire game's script felt stilted and awkward. After fans emailed Falcom and created enough of a ruckus, NISA promised to retranslate the game. This came out in January and the PC and Switch versions will launch with it. The new translation's main scenario is competent - many fans say that everything at least makes sense now, but it's not really up to par with XSEED's excellent localizations.

PC performance tips, tricks and fixes
We've put up a tutorial on how to temporarily fix one of the widest reported issues related to controllers and crashing on start.

We are continuing to monitor reported issues, investigate causes and are working directly with developers to address these issues.

Patches
https://steamcommunity.com/app/579180/discussions/2/3288067088104562396/

Thanks
Erheller: F.A.Q., Gameplay section

Last edited:

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, bugs already popping up

https://steamcommunity.com/id/38756/recommended/579180
https://steamcommunity.com/app/579180/discussions/0/3288067088100398812/
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/147401990148718593/435489189195284481/unknown.png

Edit:
For visibility
We've put up a tutorial on how to temporarily fix one of the widest reported issues related to controllers and crashing on start.

We are continuing to monitor reported issues, investigate causes and are working directly with developers to address these issues.

Last edited:

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's beyond hilarious that they're charging full price for this after all the delays.

Shame that I won't be able to play one of the best Ys games thanks to NISA.

Yup.

No surprise that they just wanted to push this out the door after what a mess the entire situation became.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Still a mess? No surprise there.

Real shame what NIS America have done with this. I was personally very pleased they got the Vita version out so I could grab a copy there, but everything they've done after that seems to have been a disaster (and even that launch was messy with the translation).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I just beat this game for PS4 on Saturday night. Made it 10 minutes into the postgame dungeon and found out that there are no checkpoints or healing spots throughout the entire thing and you have to do it all in one run to clear it, while most of the enemies take a serious amount of effort to kill even with maxed out weapons and some of the ultimate gear...and you can't replenish your healing items without leaving the dungeon.

In other words...nothankyou.gif.

Overall, it's a solid game with combat that's a little bit too mashy and a story that's a little bit too generic (and graphics a little too underwhelming) to really justify the amount of time it takes to finish. But you could do a lot worse than this one. Better than Celceta, but still not as good as Felghana. The soundtrack is predictably great, as it is with most Ys games.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Almost bought it on Steam this afternoon. Looks like I've dodged a bullet.

Why didn't XSEED do this again?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe I'm going to pass up on a series I *dearly* love because NISA is being so wildly incompetent that giving money to them would be akin to give an allowance to my abuser for mistreating me. That's how far gone you are.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I just beat this game for PS4 on Saturday night. Made it 10 minutes into the postgame dungeon and found out that there are no checkpoints or healing spots throughout the entire thing and you have to do it all in one run to clear it, while most of the enemies take a serious amount of effort to kill even with maxed out weapons and some of the ultimate gear...and you can't replenish your healing items without leaving the dungeon.

In other words...nothankyou.gif.

Overall, it's a solid game with combat that's a little bit too mashy and a story that's a little bit too generic (and graphics a little too underwhelming) to really justify the amount of time it takes to finish. But you could do a lot worse than this one. Better than Celceta, but still not as good as Felghana. The soundtrack is predictably great, as it is with most Ys games.
I beat it on inferno on a no healing items run blind, I don't really see the issue with it? You are op as fuck by that point in the game. Hummel let's you progress through it safely and adol wrecks bosses

Xclash

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I'm going to pass up on a series I *dearly* love because NISA is being so wildly incompetent that giving money to them would be akin to give an allowance to my abuser for mistreating me. That's how far gone you are.

Indeed, I'm going to put my money towards the Ys: Memories of Celceta PC port instead and wait for this to go on a heavy discount.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
They delayed it that much, still has issues and they want 54,99€ for it? That's gonna be a huge YIKES from me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I beat it on inferno on a no healing items run blind, I don't really see the issue with it? You are op as fuck by that point in the game

Those stupid pillbug monsters take so many hits to kill and they spawn in swarms of ten to fifteen at a time. It's not fun to fight them, even with Master Kong's skill for Adol at maximum skill level. I just wasn't enjoying myself, so I stopped.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Those stupid pillbug monsters take so many hits to kill and they spawn in swarms of ten to fifteen at a time. It's not fun to fight them, even with Master Kong's skill for Adol at maximum skill level. I just wasn't enjoying myself, so I stopped.
You know you can run past stuff right? You don't have to fight every single thing and in a survival setting fighting everything is a deterrent to progress.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Lol going to remove this game from my wishlist. Not going to support this incompetent NISA release even if a modder ends up fixing it for them. Might have considered it if the game launched like $20 cheaper, ridiculous to charge $60 after all the delays and still be a horrible port.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You know you can run past stuff right?

Of course. It's still annoying enemy design. I made it to the second "layer" and was just like "yeah, I don't need to do this".

I've seen enough of the game, so refighting a bunch of old bosses and running around a messed-up dark version of a dungeon I already cleared once just to fight one new uber-boss didn't feel worth my time and energy.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've been checking every so often hoping for a price drop, but no luck so far. I'm always down to check out an action RPG but this game just doesn't feel like a $60 purchase to me.
It's worth the 60, well the ps4 one was at least. It's not a short game and not many games out there are as satisfying as this to progress through

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Sucks, but it's not surprising that the PC port is hot garbage after everything we've heard. That's so disappointing considering how good the game is. Genuinely one of my favorite, if not my favorite, ARPG.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
So it still is a bad port and they still want to charge $60 for this? Yikes. Dodged a bullet by canceling this after the first delay.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Of course. It's still annoying enemy design. I made it to the second "layer" and was just like "yeah, I don't need to do this".

I've seen enough of the game, so refighting a bunch of old bosses and running around a messed-up dark version of a dungeon I already cleared once just to fight one new uber-boss didn't feel worth my time and energy.
Yeah no real point sweating it, the dungeon is mostly there for people that want to do single character playthroughs in new game plus after they clear it

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
So, who's gonna start email Falcom campaign #2? Cause that seems to be the only way to get NISA to really fix their shit.

ebsy

Feb 25, 2018
I was interested and even though I picked up a Vita recently I was waiting to see how the PC port fared. There's a pretty damning review already on Steam by a Beta tester with over 20 hours played and they refer to it as a 'Dark Souls 1 PC tier port' Looks like I'll pick it up for the Vita after all.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no real point sweating it, the dungeon is mostly there for people that want to do single character playthroughs in new game plus after they clear it

Indeed. It's a nice bonus, but it didn't feel necessary to me like, say, Star Ocean 2's postgame dungeon or Valkyrie Profile's Seraphic Gate as far as 'this is where all the awesome stuff is hidden'.

I actually 100% cleared the main game before I beat the final boss, which was a pretty nice feeling. Haven't done that with an RPG in ages not counting FFXV.

preta

Oct 25, 2017

The trick with that dungeon is to use the cloak that auto-heals you when you're standing still, pass it between characters as needed, and save frequently. You should never need to use healing items except in bosses.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I actually 100% cleared the main game before I beat the final boss, which was a pretty nice feeling. Haven't done that with an RPG in ages not counting FFXV.
The first form of the real last boss was a jank piece of shit so doing it on inferno with no healing items was fucking torture. Basically had to speed run every single section with 0 mistakes or the vacuum part would get you insta killed as stuff swung randomly. I have it listed in my top 5 shittiest ys bosses :D

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Honestly it probably won't change a whole lot as long as they are willing to offer more then the other companies.

And by association Falcom gets a shoddy Western reputation as a result? Falcom's games are niche as it is. Being a small company as they are, I don't think they can afford future titles being avoided as a result of dealing with NISA for localization efforts.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
And by association Falcom gets a shoddy Western reputation as a result? Falcom's audience is niche as it is. Being a small company as they are, I don't think they can afford future titles being avoided as a result of dealing with NISA for localization efforts.

It's going to sell well regardless of what we think. They'll get rewarded for it, it's pretty much a given at this point