• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Press Release from NIS America

To all of you who have been anxiously awaiting the PC release of Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA, we have a very regrettable announcement: we are once again pushing the release to an as-of-yet indeterminate date. We sincerely apologize for this delay, and we would like to explain in detail the reason why we are proceeding with the delay. This decision was not made lightly, and we understand that many of you will be upset about this news. For that, and most importantly, for the delay, we are very sorry.

Please note, however, that this announcement does not affect the relocalization update patch planned for January 30th for the PlayStation®4 and PlayStation Vita versions of the game.

Low framerate issues and memory leak problems were apparent from the earliest PC builds we received. To help combat these, we looked into the drawing processes, which lead to an overall improvement in performance. However, we are still encountering framerate drops in specific circumstances. The systems regulating these framerate issues are heavily reliant on the architecture of the original PlayStation 4 version and, as such, are not existent in PC architecture. The memory leak issues are somewhat less complicated and expected to be resolved this weekend. But in order to solve these issues, we have determined that we must modify the core level of data in the game.

As the PC version of the game was originally envisioned as a port, we avoided touching the core programming as much as possible and focused on PC performance optimization. However, in light of the feedback of those who have participated in the second beta test, we have concluded that we cannot avoid modifying the core programming.

Once the changes from the relocalization efforts have been implemented at the end of this month, we will be moving development to an entirely different developer who will primarily focus on frame rate improvements as well as other PC optimizations. Once that process begins, we will monitor the progress and determine the release schedule. We will also be sure to give regular updates to our progress.

Again, we truly regret that we underestimated the severity of the issues that have surfaced (and how long it would take to resolve them), and for that, NIS America sincerely apologizes to all of you for this unexpected delay. We are fully aware of how much our fans have been anticipating this release, and will do our very best to launch the game the way it is meant to be launched: without any issues, game-breaking bugs, or errors.

If you have made a pre-purchase on Steam and would like a refund due to this delay, please use the link provided below:

http://bit.ly/YsVIIIPC_refundprocess

For any purchases or pre-orders made outside of the Steam channel, please contact the corresponding refund support for that channel.

Thank you very much for your understanding, support, and patience through this time.

-VP and COO, Mitsuharu Hiraoka

Xclash

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking joke. I hope all those that defended NIS America in the last thread come see why PC gamers didn't want XSEED losing Ys.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck, I just wanna play this already...
& they still want 60 dollars for this.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
I've been reading on a Falcom discord how much of a mess this PC port is.

Anyone still want to claim NISA should get the Trails series? lol

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
What would be even worse is if the new translation ends up being just as bad as the old translation somehow

I've been reading on a Falcom discord how much of a mess this PC port is.

Anyone still want to claim NISA should get the Trails series? lol

"B-b-but even though we're get remarkably worse translations, we'll at least get the games quicker! Maybe!"

sanhora

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the next time they can get Durante or someone equally competent involved with the port right from the start to determine how bad the issues are and not waste months doing beta tests.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the Switch port does well enough that Falcom puts more shit onto the Switch.

NIS seems to be really dropping the ball tho

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The rule of a carpenter: Measure twice, cut once.

The rule of NISA: Don't bother measuring and just cut until the jagged edges roughly fit.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
we will be moving development to an entirely different developer

tumblr_oxa6y0zKQz1ts6uyho1_500.gif

good fucking lord what in the hell is going on over there?

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
What a shit show.
And some people seriously wanted Kiseki to go these guys.

I hope NISA stays away from Falcom IP's in the future

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this on twitter.

I stared at it for a bit before saying to myself "I don't know if I should be surprised or not" followed by "At least people get some notice this time I guess"

preta

Oct 25, 2017
As the PC version of the game was originally envisioned as a port, we avoided touching the core programming as much as possible and focused on PC performance optimization. However, in light of the feedback of those who have participated in the second beta test, we have concluded that we cannot avoid modifying the core programming.

That they could even think this way about the concept of what a "port" is is mind-bogglingly dumb.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The ride never ends. They probably tried to rush it so it came out with the localisation patch but that obviously was the wrong decision.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
I'm astonished at how much NISA has fucked up Ys VIII considering how important it seems to be for the company. I'm really curious if Ys VIII will end up even having the chance of making a profit for them considering how expensive fixing their fuck ups with the PC port and the localization must be.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
I prepared myself for this after people said the latest build wasn't any better and they decided to do a beta two weeks before release AGAIN like the last time.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
It clearly worthed it to hand over Falcom games to them than Xseed for a faster localization, and Japanese dub clearly :^)

Man, what a shitshow from NISA.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Is there any reason to believe the Switch port won't also be delayed/messy? Is it being worked on by yet another dev unrelated to either PC ones?

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the love of god don't give Trials/Kiseki to this company
falcom dont care

Much like with their Switch comments originally, they're primarily concerned with what they're doing internally. If someone else wants to come and port/release their shit elsewhere that's their problem. As long as we get our money, release whatever you want.