• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pix

Oct 25, 2017
http://nisamerica.com/blog/ys-viii-lacrimosa-dana-localization-update

Hello everyone,

My name is Alan Costa and I'm a Senior Associate Producer here at NIS America.

I'm heading up the Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA revision project directly under our president, Mr. Takuro Yamashita.

I've started this blog series to keep you all apprised of our progress for the revision and plan to make this a weekly update.

So, what exactly are we doing with this revision? Well, as NISA President Mr. Yamashita mentioned in his message, we are addressing the localization of Ys VIII from the ground up including the below:

- Reviewing and revising the translation with a new translator
- A complete re-edit of the script (voiced and unvoiced) as well as corrections to item names and descriptions with a new editor
- Voice re-recording
- Debugging the new build

We also intend to incorporate external feedback and I'll be sharing more details on what exactly that entails in a later update.

This is going to come as no surprise to many of you, but after beginning this revision, we have realized that due to the scope of this undertaking, we will unfortunately not be able to release by the end of this month as we had originally intended.

I don't want to throw out a hard date then have to backtrack again, but, barring any unforeseen issues, we are currently looking to get this out early next year.

On that note, as we want this version to be the definitive release of the title, we will be holding the PC version back to coincide this this release as well.

While this does constitute a further delay of the PC version, please rest assured that this time will be used to further optimize the game.

Thank you so much for reading and please look forward to another update next week! If you have any feedback, please do not hesitate to head on over to the Steam discussion page.

Best Regards,
Alan

What a god damn mess

Last edited:

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shoulda went XSEED imo

But they were probably too busy regardless

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone seriously think they'd be able to review, re-translate and re-edit the entire script in two months? I figured a delay would happen.

It's so ironic NISA promised Falcom a PC version and lo and behold, nothing yet while XSEED has released an incredible Cold Steel port.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
c2a26ca1c4cdde8f2c62759b68ab3bcc.gif

Bargain bin it is.

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. No big hurry. I'm looking forward to playing it, but I'm in no rush. Thanks for all the work you guys are putting into this. I know this can't have been an easy decision.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I wasn't already 2/3rds of the way through it. Feels like I got the bad experience now.

Zapages

Oct 28, 2017
Seriously... I had the game pre-ordered on Steam. They better give discounts to all the folks who had pre-ordered this game. What the hell!

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
At this point, it's better if they take more time than release another shit version of Ys VIII.
Who cares if they are late by 3 months or 9 months? lol

Seriously... I had the game pre-ordered on Steam. They better give discounts to all the folks who had pre-ordered this game. What the hell!

You can and should request for refund from Steam.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well at least those who were afraid of NISA getting Sen3 can rest a little easier

Oct 26, 2017
I would be amazed if they still have the gall to ask for $60 when the PC port actually finishes. It's insane how much they overestimated potential issues with the game when it's been one of the biggest games they've had on their plate for the year.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
I wanna play this already but i don't wanna buy the vita version...
I hope Falcom has learned from this whole thing. XSEED spent so much time building up the series over here and NISA goes and does this.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Tainting the brand through NISA was so worth it right Falcom after everything XSEED did to propel your games worldwide?

So worth it

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunate. I've been a big Ys fan since playing Seven in 2012 on Vita and I was looking forward to a new release coming on PC at the same time. With Ni No Kuni coming out in January, I doubt PC JRPG fans will make time for this.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why they thought they could finish by the end of November in the first place. It sounded like a huge undertaking; they shouldn't have promised that.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What a disaster.

Why didn't they go with Xseed again?

fantasyGG

Oct 28, 2017
Oh well, on a bright side, they will not release a shitty port and show a middle finger to all the buyers.

But i guess this shows how good XSeed is compared to NISA.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
It's no Breath of Fire 2. Overall, it still reads like mostly natural English. But there's a lot of awkward phrases that don't sound quite right, and just general literalisms.
I feel the translation is way worse than whatever people complained about in the vita version of Lunar.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's no Breath of Fire 2. Overall, it still reads like mostly natural English. But there's a lot of awkward phrases that don't sound quite right, and just general literalisms.
The dub also had really bad directing in a lot of instances, you can tell they put some effort in some of the scenes but some stuff slipped by like empty blank line reading and such

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
So XSEED is only working with Falcom on Trails of Cold Steel? Or is that one with someone else?

I just don't understand why they'd stop working with XSEED after their great job in the last.
XSeed did all the Ys games except 6/8 and all the TITS and TOCS games, as well as some more obscure titles (like Brandish and Xanadu Next)

Once Xseed proved Falcom there was a market in the west and a market for PC versions, Falcom went "LOL TAKE THE GAMES NISA/AKSYS"

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why they thought they could finish by the end of November in the first place. It sounded like a huge undertaking; they shouldn't have promised that.
This is NISA we're talking about. They probably weren't even aware of how slapdash ridiculous their original work was until they were forced to actually look at it with a critical eye.

Obligatory:

BIG HOLE

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

because before the project started it was smaller in scope. what started as essentially a proofread turned into a re-localization. it wasn't the intention at the start to redo the voice acting, for example.

Oct 26, 2017
So XSEED is only working with Falcom on Trails of Cold Steel? Or is that one with someone else?

I just don't understand why they'd stop working with XSEED after their great job in the last.

Who knows honestly. Only thing we've heard is that Xseed got outbid on Ys 8. As far as Tokyo Xanadu goes, we've heard nothing as to why they skipped it other than the rumor of they'd skip the Vita version if they did it.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
This is not remotely surprising. They made grandiose promises on a very limited timeframe, there was no reason to think they were capable of delivering after they bungled the original release.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
because before the project started it was smaller in scope. what started as essentially a proofread turned into a re-localization. it wasn't the intention at the start to redo the voice acting, for example.

They weren't going to redo all the voice acting, but they were going to completely redo the editing for the script and redo the relevant voice acting I believe. It was always a big undertaking.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
There was zero chance they could effectively fix the localization problems this month lol. This whole situation was a disaster.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
XSeed did all the Ys games except 6/8 and all the TITS and TOCS games, as well as some more obscure titles (like Brandish and Xanadu Next)

Once Xseed proved Falcom there was a market in the west and a market for PC versions, Falcom went "LOL TAKE THE GAMES NISA/AKSYS"
Well... Let's not forget that XSEED took a while on SC. Reportedly, Kondo was very unhappy about how long that took. It doesn't surprise me that they would try to find another partner to work with, not at the exclusion of XSEED, but in addition to. It would be really great if we had two studios outputting really good work, rather than just one that is trying to do Falcom's new stuff while also bringing out the back catalog. It's a lot of work.

NISA and Aksys also were able to promise PC versions. Clearly, that uh... has not panned out. But it's not hard to see what Falcom was thinking here. They don't have the benefit of being here on November 2, 2017 and seeing how it all panned out in the end.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Assumed they were just going to fix the worst Twitter memes and call it a day. Seems like they are serious about this.