• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Didn't see anything about an apology discount at launch so I'll just wait for a sale on PS4 I suppose. Or whichever system gets the game discounted faster really.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What's XSEED even left with these days? The Trails series is an okay seller that due to its complexity few (if any) others would even want to bother with and XSEED's attempts at bringing over Falcom's back catalog are met with ever declining sales. Just look at Xanadu Next, which has its first anniversary today and yet according to SteamSpy's numbers still hasn't broken 10k sales. By losing the Ys series, it appears to me as if XSEED got handed the losing hand in terms of Falcom's line up and I do wonder what this means for XSEED's partnership with Falcom going forward. Will they continue working on Falcom's back catalog when sales are ho-hum at best and they lost the one series that turned out to be a reliable seller over the years? Even when returns weren't stellar you could justify the smaller projects with a "it's worth it, because it helps us fostering our relationship with Falcom" line of thinking, but that's hardly the case anymore. In terms of Trails Falcom isn't making XSEED's lives any easier either by continuing the Cold Steel saga (when XSEED most likely hoped for the start of a fresh saga on PS4, since you can't really appeal to new users when you are marketing the 3rd/4th game in a story heavy series).

I don't see what's to be gained by having a second publisher on Falcom's games when it might lead to us losing the one publisher that has done a reliably great job on the Falcom games they worked on. I can't imagine XSEED would have had problems with bringing Ys smoothly and timely to the west, either.

I personally love Falcom's old games like Xanadu Next but i can see why they are not huge sellers those games are very niche and they look really really old by today's standards.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
How did they blunder akiba's beat? I haven't played it but from all accounts the localization is very good, its just that the game isn't.
Well, aside from KKK Witches, I've seen some examples of overly liberal localization here and there. Akiba's Trip also had a similar reaction until more critical discussions showed it ranged from fine to great, so maybe "blunder" doesn't describe the Akiba's Beat localization accurately. The game itself looks very disappointing, however, and I bet 50 mira it didn't sell to XSEED's expectations...or even close.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Obligatory picture:

ss-195.jpg

In all seriousness: I love the Ys series a lot and it's pretty sad to see that the localization of Ys VIII was handled so badly. It's good that they're trying to fix it (of course I do have to agree that thinking it could be done in just 2 months was kinda illusional on their part).

I'm actually glad that I didn't have the money to grab it day 1 on the PS4. Now I will just wait for localization patch and then gladly buy it. It's a bit sad to see that this is holding back the PC release, since Ys is originally a PC series.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, aside from KKK Witches, I've seen some examples of overly liberal localization here and there. Akiba's Trip also had a similar reaction until more critical discussions showed it ranged from fine to great, so maybe "blunder" doesn't describe the Akiba's Beat localization accurately. The game itself looks very disappointing, however, and I bet 50 mira it didn't sell to XSEED's expectations...or even close.
probably didnt, but XSEED gambled on it and started localizing it nearly in step with the japanese release, expecting a much better game than they were given.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
probably didnt, but XSEED gambled on it and started localizing it nearly in step with the japanese release, expecting a much better game than they were given.

Hmm, yeah, I really want to take bets on what was the worse Bad-Bet Expensive Localization of this year: Akiba's Beat, or Valkyria Revolution?

Really hard to discern IMO. They've both got a lot of the same circumstances going for them.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is at full price where I work. I love Ys and Falcom but there is no way I will recommend it to the customers.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, yeah, I really want to take bets on what was the worse Bad-Bet Expensive Localization of this year: Akiba's Beat, or Valkyria Revolution?

Really hard to discern IMO. They've both got a lot of the same circumstances going for them.
I mean, they did port Valkyria Revolution on Xbox One for the West for some reason. Couldn't have been cheap.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting for the update to buy it for sure (Vita). Might go digital as well because even if I get physical the patch will probably be very big with the new voice-overs.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I was pretty satisfied with NISA's handling of Danganronpa v3 (I don't recall it being free of errors, but that happens sometimes) so it was really shocking to me when I saw some of the howlers that made it into Ys...

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
What a mess, really. They rushed it, and consequently now they've having to spend more time patching it up.

Shame too, I've really enjoyed what I've played of it gameplay wise. I think I'm around Chapter/Act 4 or so. I've been put off completing it though considering this update might be coming.

Cqef

Oct 27, 2017
somewhere in France
I was pretty satisfied with NISA's handling of Danganronpa v3 (I don't recall it being free of errors, but that happens sometimes) so it was really shocking to me when I saw some of the howlers that made it into Ys...

Yeah, they definitely favoured DRV3's localisation over Ys VIII's. I'm not saying that either of them should've had a better localisation than the other, but this kinda treatment on the latest game of a 30-year-old iconic series of a pionner of the Japanese RPG only shows NISA's lack of care and respect towards the game itself, the fanbase, and Falcom themselves.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Obligatory picture:

ss-195.jpg

In all seriousness: I love the Ys series a lot and it's pretty sad to see that the localization of Ys VIII was handled so badly. It's good that they're trying to fix it (of course I do have to agree that thinking it could be done in just 2 months was kinda illusional on their part).

I'm actually glad that I didn't have the money to grab it day 1 on the PS4. Now I will just wait for localization patch and then gladly buy it. It's a bit sad to see that this is holding back the PC release, since Ys is originally a PC series.
Is there more stuff like this?

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought Xseed was very overrated on the P front in terms of the quality of their programming, so I was happy of the change.

I am disappointed in how NI hasn't been able to put out a decent port yet, but at least they were aware of their issues before release and is working to actually releaze a functional product,

preta

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought Xseed was very overrated on the P front in terms of the quality of their programming, so I was happy of the change.

I am disappointed in how NI hasn't been able to put out a decent port yet, but at least they were aware of their issues before release and is working to actually releaze a functional product,

XSEED's ports have consistently been well-made and packed with quality-of-life features. How is this a better situation when the port was so bad initially that it had to be delayed several months only a day before the originally scheduled release?

I don't have pictures, but this album misses some really good/bad ones, like the winning lines "In a strangely curious way, I find myself curious to meet her" and "There might even be information that you all might be able to find precisely because it's you", as well as a comically poor name romanization that would be wrong in any context but just happens to screw up a reference to the Trails series.

"Viceman"

Last edited:

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Obligatory picture:

ss-195.jpg

Wow lol...

Is this real? If so is that actually what the JP version says?

Oct 27, 2017
XSEED's ports have consistently been well-made and packed with quality-of-life features. How is this a better situation when the port was so bad initially that it had to be delayed several months only a day before the originally scheduled release?

I never said it was a better situation, I didn't separate those two thoughts clearly enough. I'm just saying that at least they knew what they had was unacceptable, and kept it from release, while countless others (including XSEED themselves) have released unplayable products on PC that sometimes would take months to fix.

And in terms of XSEED's quality of ports, I disagree. A whole bunch of them have had issues. They are great at translating, but not particularly great at programming. Little King's Story was an awful mess before they got Durante to fix it, and lesser known stuff like Xanadu Next also had a boat load of issues, some of which were never addressed.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
I never said it was a better situation, I didn't separate those two thoughts clearly enough. I'm just saying that at least they knew what they had was unacceptable, and kept it from release, while countless others (including XSEED themselves) have released unplayable products on PC that sometimes would take months to fix.

And in terms of XSEED's quality of ports, I disagree. A whole bunch of them have had issues. They are great at translating, but not particularly great at programming. Little King's Story was an awful mess before they got Durante to fix it, and lesser known stuff like Xanadu Next also had a boat load of issues, some of which were never addressed.
First off, unplayable products? Little King's Story, awful as it was, wasn't unplayable before Durante's fix, and XSEED's commissioned PC ports form this year all perform great with just the most minor of issues remaining. And besides, NISA's the company which decided doing their Ys VIII PC beta test only 2 weeks before launch was a sound idea. They had to receive a lot of really negative complaints about the apparently awful (and relatively unplayable) port quality to put the whole release off. XSEED's taken a lot more time for QA, especially for games like Xanadu Next and Zwei: II which, according to their programmer Sara, were sloppily programmed for anyone to handle outside Falcom. Frankly, more sales for Xanadu Next (because it's a great game people have overlooked for too long) would promote bugfixes for the few remaining minor issues in XSEED's release.

Older games, like all the Trails in the Sky and Ys releases, are largely bug-free now except for edge cases which haven't been reproduced, and they've gotten many understated upgrades to visual quality, readability, and so forth. Corpse Party PC's also much more impressive than people realize because Sara had to basically code a whole PC port from the ground-up instead of working with an outdated and obscure programming language just for one game.

What other ports or PC re-releases would you point out as flawed and apparently won't get fixed for a while? Sara even did some work on Xanadu Next last month before having to work on Zwei: II again. I trust XSEED with all their recent programming just as much as I would with NISA working on their ports of 2D games...not so much 3D judging by Ys VIII.

This news has me elated, sad, and intrigued. For example, I am confident that NISA is willing to do more press tours for President Kondo outside East Asia, something which XSEED hasn't bothered with because they're stingy and really need to do things like that and French/German/Spanish/Italian/etc. translations (plus coordinating with Marvelous Europe for simultaneous Falcom launches, not via NISA considering what's happened).

Mmm, I can see why you'd think that, but it's not the case at all. From my time, I recall multiple instances that we tried to get Kondo-san to come to America for just that purpose (press tours, E3, etc.). He was always too busy. It certainly wasn't for lack of trying or "stinginess" on our part. Same with when we were looking for help into acquiring VO from the relevant Japanese VO rights holders.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017

Oh come on, Xanadu Next was perfectly serviceable at release. Yes, it had the inevitable edge-case bugs (like every port ever) but those either had quick workarounds and/or were fixed very quickly.
The only two issues I remember that stuck around longer were broken achievements and 1 enemy that exploded when killed but had a faaaar larger explosion radius and that didn't even register as a bug, I just thought that was how it was supposed to be, lol. It also became irrelevant after like half an hour of meeting that enemy as you outleveled it and only took scratches afterwards. I'm not sure if those have been fixed, as I have played through the game in a few weeks after it came out, but it got some patches afterwards, most recently just a few weeks ago.

Little Kings Story was playable but had a somewhat broken 60fps mode and no mouse support (kind of baffling tbh), however they went above and beyond fixing it by getting Durante involved and even he couldn't fix everything, the source code was just that difficult to work with.

Outside of that one game all ports have been between good or fan-fucking-tastic and they regularly go above and beyond with post-launch support. Before 3rd released in May FC and SC got localisation patches and higher quality FMVs. After Cold Steel came out they added turbo mode and DX9 support to the Sky trilogy.
Cold Steel is basically a showcase port and it would be amazing if the default console-to-PC port quality for games would be half as good.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Mmm, I can see why you'd think that, but it's not the case at all. From my time, I recall multiple instances that we tried to get Kondo-san to come to America for just that purpose (press tours, E3, etc.). He was always too busy. It certainly wasn't for lack of trying or "stinginess" on our part. Same with when we were looking for help into acquiring VO from the relevant Japanese VO rights holders.

Huh, I thought it would have been due to lack of marketing funds. Good to know, makes me wonder how NISA got him to do so.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
I apologize for assuming too much. All these events happening to promote Ys VIII's release, after years of XSEED trying their best to convince him to visit, seems intimidating and suspicious; I've also been under the assumption that XSEED always has to carefully balance what it expends against how much their releases sell. The costs for bringing Kondo over shouldn't be horrific, thankfully, since you'd mainly need to pay for the flight (or part of), hire an interpreter, and have a company liaison ready to handle the tour depending on its scope.

Please, if you can, make as great a case as possible for Kondo to tour the U.S. next time XSEED's working on a major Falcom release. I'd be impressed if he couldn't make time for promoting a release as important to the company as Trails of Cold Steel III since the company wants to make inroads on English-speaking markets.

And if Kondo really is as buddy-buddy with NIS's president as I fear, and that's somehow the tipping point for Falcom to keep giving localization projects to NISA, then my opinion of Falcom would definitely sour. Nepotism isn't cool and neither is disappointing quality of exports as a result.

Last edited:
Huh, I thought it would have been due to lack of marketing funds. Good to know, makes me wonder how NISA got him to do so.

I mean, the marketing kitty is often preeeeetty limited, but sometimes we have two rocks to bang together AND a stick!

I apologize for assuming too much. All these events happening to promote Ys VIII's release, after years of XSEED trying their best to convince him to visit, seems intimidating and suspicious; I've also been under the assumption that XSEED always has to carefully balance what it expends against how much their releases sell. The costs for bringing Kondo over shouldn't be horrific, thankfully, since you'd mainly need to pay for the flight (or part of), hire an interpreter, and have a company liaison ready to handle the tour depending on its scope.

Please, if you can, make as great a case as possible for Kondo to tour the U.S. next time XSEED's working on a major Falcom release. I'd be impressed if he couldn't make time for promoting a release as important to the company as Trails of Cold Steel III since the company wants to make inroads on English-speaking markets.

And if Kondo really is as buddy-buddy with NIS's president as I fear, and that's somehow the tipping point for Falcom to keep giving localization projects to NISA, then my opinion of Falcom would definitely sour. Nepotism isn't cool and neither is disappointing quality of exports as a result.

No worries. Like I said, I can see why you'd come to that conclusion. None of this stuff is NDA, though, so I'm happy to pop in and clear things up when I can (I definitely have the 'free' time for it now! :D). You're not wrong that we have to very carefully balance our expenditures, but it does hurt when players think it's out of some kind of miserly reason. We really do and have put in everything that we can then some to projects (color manuals(!), extra VO, mail order goodies, those above and beyond touches that Tom does like game historical accounts and the Popolo manga, etc.), but people only seem to focus on or look for negatives. It's a bit disheartening.

However, I do understand your general feelings/points on the marketing stuff, and you can be assured that it's heard up top too. I've definitely been running things where I am with a mind on that, and as you probably inferred from the job opening, they're looking to make some full-time dedicated inroads on that front. Anyway, until my due date (should the kid not come early), I promise to keep laying as many tracks as I can and making sure that word gets out about our stuff (Goooooooo, Zwei!) (And Xanadu Next!).

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
No worries. Like I said, I can see why you'd come to that conclusion. None of this stuff is NDA, though, so I'm happy to pop in and clear things up when I can (I definitely have the 'free' time for it now! :D). You're not wrong that we have to very carefully balance our expenditures, but it does hurt when players think it's out of some kind of miserly reason. We really do and have put in everything that we can then some to projects (color manuals(!), extra VO, mail order goodies, those above and beyond touches that Tom does like game historical accounts and the Popolo manga, etc.), but people only seem to focus on or look for negatives. It's a bit disheartening.

However, I do understand your general feelings/points on the marketing stuff, and you can be assured that it's heard up top too. I've definitely been running things where I am with a mind on that, and as you probably inferred from the job opening, they're looking to make some full-time dedicated inroads on that front. Anyway, until my due date (should the kid not come early), I promise to keep laying as many tracks as I can and making sure that word gets out about our stuff (Goooooooo, Zwei!) (And Xanadu Next!).
I think all the specific unique things you've done for recent releases, like that great website for Zwei: II and including that out-of-print Ys VI artbook with XSEED's release of the game (making it a really valuable purchase with or without discount), are great and show how well y'all know the games. Sometimes, though, it feels like this goes to waste since even people interested in a release, who go on to buy it, don't know about the website (but prefer social media) or haven't heard of the included artbook because they don't rely on Steam page descriptions most of the time. I understand, though, that XSEED knows more on the inside about what they can and want to do to get players interested no matter the situation. Expanding the social media front's important and I'm glad the company's trying new things out for size. You have my vote of confidence after all that's happened! Above all, I hope you have a safe delivery.

Netto-kun

Oct 27, 2017
New update.

Hello everyone,

Alan here with your weekly update. I'm writing today's entry from the voice recording studio!

We completed the script for the voiced lines on Monday and did a complete read of the lines to check for flow and consistency. (That was the picture that graced the blog from last week.) As we go through the recording process, it's not uncommon to make edits based on feedback from the director, the talent, or simply because we decide something works a little better. But by and large, the new script is set.

As to the scope of this project, as we ended up rewriting nearly 100% of the script, we will be re-recording nearly everything. The only lines that will be kept are battle lines (exertion noises and the like) and some incidentals. Now would also be a good time to mention that we intend to bring back the entire cast from the first time around.

So far, we've finished our first session with Laxia and Sahad and things are going well!

Talk to you soon!
Alan

Last edited:

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
If it's the whole script.... maybe they were revising it long before they made the initial announcement? Did they throw in the unedited script to meet a deadline and then promptly begin working on finishing the script after the game's release? ?????

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, it could be the whole script - the blog update isn't exactly super clear on this.
"We completed the script for the voiced lines".

I also assume they're utilizing the existing translation (they're more fixing the English than re-translating from Japanese), so it's bound to go quicker than if they had just started from scratch.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Still pretty surprised they're even doing this. Ys VIII is still phenomenal despite some of the localization shortcomings.

Cqef

Oct 27, 2017
somewhere in France
If it's the whole script.... maybe they were revising it long before they made the initial announcement? Did they throw in the unedited script to meet a deadline and then promptly begin working on finishing the script after the game's release? ?????

That'd mean they would've started working on it before people complained, so no, not happening :V

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
"We completed the script for the voiced lines".

I also assume they're utilizing the existing translation (they're more fixing the English than re-translating from Japanese), so it's bound to go quicker than if they had just started from scratch.
That's essentially a second editing pass. Good editing can be almost as slow as the initial translation. Rushing this leads to stuff like Big Hole not getting fixed.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a bit of a sucker with this game. Pre-ordered the PC version - gets a delay a day before release - goes for PS4 version day one, only for a (hopefully) better localized version to come out after I beat it.

*sighs* Not falling for NISA's BS again.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad they are seemingly putting a lot of work into fixing the translation. I'm ok with NISA getting more work from Falcom so long as they can put in the required effort for their releases. I'd rather XSEED, but it seems like they just aren't big enough to accommodate all of Falcom's releases along with the content from their parent company.

Oct 25, 2017
Geez, I knew the localization was bad from playing the demo but I had no idea it got THAT horrible. Playing Ys Seven truly reveals what a difference good localization makes.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
They probably could have worded that update better, seems like a lot of people are assuming they have rewritten the entire Ys VIII script already, when it seems more like it is just referring to the voice acted script.

I'm glad they are seemingly putting a lot of work into fixing the translation. I'm ok with NISA getting more work from Falcom so long as they can put in the required effort for their releases. I'd rather XSEED, but it seems like they just aren't big enough to accommodate all of Falcom's releases along with the content from their parent company.

They didn't give up Ys by choice, Falcom chose NISA over XSEED. They probably did opt against Tokyo Xanadu, due to the game being Vita exclusive at the time. Had it been PS4+Vita from the outset XSEED likely would have gotten it instead of Aksys.

Trails seems like a bigger question in terms of accommodation, but it probably just depends on how much of a priority it is for XSEED. On average Falcom releases less than two (new) games per year now. XSEED could probably handle that and the Marvelous games, but it would limit what else they could get.

(Personally, there is so little coming out of Japan that I care anything about these days, I wouldn't mind if XSEED did basically nothing but Falcom and Marvelous games, if it could keep them afloat).