• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 1, 2017
I'm glad they are seemingly putting a lot of work into fixing the translation. I'm ok with NISA getting more work from Falcom so long as they can put in the required effort for their releases. I'd rather XSEED, but it seems like they just aren't big enough to accommodate all of Falcom's releases along with the content from their parent company.
I'm not okay with it. NISA would have left the awful localization as-is if fans hadn't complained to Falcom directly.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They probably could have worded that update better, seems like a lot of people are assuming they have rewritten the entire Ys VIII script already, when it seems more like it is just referring to the voice acted script.

They didn't give up Ys by choice, Falcom chose NISA over XSEED. They probably did opt against Tokyo Xanadu, due to the game being Vita exclusive at the time. Had it been PS4+Vita from the outset XSEED likely would have gotten it instead of Aksys.

Trails seems like a bigger question in terms of accommodation, but it probably just depends on how much of a priority it is for XSEED. On average Falcom releases less than two (new) games per year now. XSEED could probably handle that and the Marvelous games, but it would limit what else they could get.

(Personally, there is so little coming out of Japan that I care anything about these days, I wouldn't mind if XSEED did basically nothing but Falcom and Marvelous games, if it could keep them afloat).
Yes I'm aware of this. I'd rather get all of Falcom's output rather than only what XSEED can bring over. Obviously Ys VIII would've been in better hands with XSEED, and I would have preferred them to get it, but I doubt NISA would put out a shoddy localization for another Falcom title now that all this has happened.
I love XSEED for being the only ones willing to take a chance on Falcom's back catalog, and I do my best to play every Falcom release they bring over (playing Zweii right now). That said, I'll take whatever as long as it means more Falcom in english.
I'm not okay with it. NISA would have left the awful localization as-is if fans hadn't complained to Falcom directly.
Yes, but people did complain, they are fixing it, and they can't really get away with this quality of work again on a Falcom title.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
Hopefully they'll manage to turn the situation around because the game deserves to be constantly praised for being amazeballs, not being brought up to be criticized due to the shoddy localization we recieved.
Nisa dropped the ball so fucking hard with this game that it makes me angry. While the localization is consistently bad throughout, once the plot starts kicking in the last chapters the quality nosedives to borderline nonsense, so much so that I wonder if my opinion of the story is mostly due to the bad localization (I thought the story was pretty bad outside of the castaway aspect. Still adore the game though).

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
*sighs* Not falling for NISA's BS again.
If you haven't yet, please consider refunding the PC release via NISA's option on Steam.

IAlso to keep up the theme, BUY XANADU NEXT, its gooooooooooooooooooood.
Correct. I don't mind a dissenting opinion either, just

Yes I'm aware of this. I'd rather get all of Falcom's output rather than only what XSEED can bring over. Obviously Ys VIII would've been in better hands with XSEED, and I would have preferred them to get it, but I doubt NISA would put out a shoddy localization for another Falcom title now that all this has happened.
I love XSEED for being the only ones willing to take a chance on Falcom's back catalog, and I do my best to play every Falcom release they bring over (playing Zweii right now). That said, I'll take whatever as long as it means more Falcom in english.

Yes, but people did complain, they are fixing it, and they can't really get away with this quality of work again on a Falcom title.
First, I applaud you for supporting Zwei: II! Please post some of your impressions in the OT when you're able.

Assuming the Ys VIII bid happened sometime in the latter part of 2016, XSEED could have gotten the game translated, edited, and QA'd by September just like NISA. They set aside a lot of space in their 2017 slate for this Ys, just like in previous busy years before they had this much experience with localizing Falcom titles. I don't think we would have gotten a day-and-date PC port (though NISA hasn't either after much drama), and I doubt they promised that to Falcom if XSEED ruled it out internally, so NISA had a big advantage just from that. XSEED's just as desperate to get projects in an increasingly cutthroat market, so not passing on future Falcom projects should matter a lot more now.

NISA might not have to worry about the quality of their Falcom localizations if they can't successfully bid for any after this.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you haven't yet, please consider refunding the PC release via NISA's option on Steam.

Correct. I don't mind a dissenting opinion either, just

First, I applaud you for supporting Zwei: II! Please post some of your impressions in the OT when you're able.

Assuming the Ys VIII bid happened sometime in the latter part of 2016, XSEED could have gotten the game translated, edited, and QA'd by September just like NISA. They set aside a lot of space in their 2017 slate for this Ys, just like in previous busy years before they had this much experience with localizing Falcom titles. I don't think we would have gotten a day-and-date PC port (though NISA hasn't either after much drama), and I doubt they promised that to Falcom if XSEED ruled it out internally, so NISA had a big advantage just from that. XSEED's just as desperate to get projects in an increasingly cutthroat market, so not passing on future Falcom projects should matter a lot more now.

NISA might not have to worry about the quality of their Falcom localizations if they can't successfully bid for any after this.
Will do! Loving the game so far, it's really fantastic.

I have no doubt XSEED could have delivered a better product in the same timeframe. Honestly I would rather XSEED keep localizing Ys and the rest of Falcom's games, they do great work (though Aksys did a good job on Tokyo Xanadu despite some technical issues with the localization, the translation itself is good).

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
They rewrote the entire script.

Jesus Christ, I hope the voice actors get fair pay for this nonsense.
And man, that's going to be a bitch of an update on Vita, isn't it? It'd be big on PS4 anyway but at least then 1. the game's taking up quite a bit of space anyway and 2. it could plausibly replace files there. On Vita, if you're playing off a cart you'd probably have an update somewhere between several hundred megabytes to a full on gigabyte to look forward to. And even if playing a digital version that's probably going to be messy.

Vaelic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I bought this game and I don't get all the praise. I'm a few hours in collecting folks on the island but it's just running around fighting the same monsters over and over. What's the big deal here?

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
So I bought this game and I don't get all the praise. I'm a few hours in collecting folks on the island but it's just running around fighting the same monsters over and over. What's the big deal here?

You already got what consists of the game's core loop. Go exploring new areas, battle new monsters, find new itens/abilities, come back to town, explore new areas.
While it does start a little slow because of the amount of tutorials, the core loop is very, very fun to the point I did 100% of the whole map and did all sidequests.

Give it a few hours. If it doesn't hook you after that, it might not be for you.

Also, don't grind. It doesn't pay off in Falcom games. If you are overlevel, the amount of exp you get from weak enemies is minimal. If you are underlevel, the common enemies give you a lot of exp that closes the level gap really quickly. If the enemy is too weak, just run past them.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
So wait are they gonna re-release the game on ps4? I want to buy this but I'm scared and confused

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
What? The Ys series is known for literally having enemies that you do 0 damage to until you gain a single level. I honestly can't think of a series where a single level matters more.

Indeed. Well, except for Ys I, where you're capped at level 10 and stay at that for quite some time!

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Wait, is the PS4 version borked too? I thought it got good reviews.

The translation is beyond borked. While the game is perfectly playable some of the dialogue and area names are beyond horrible

Also the translation team failed to translate Boss names properly even when said names were already in english in the JP version.

Also, for the lulz, the french on the back of the game's case is pure nonsense.

Last edited:

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
Grinding in a Falcom game, specially the Ys series, for a few levels can literally make a boss go from impossible to a breeze. To say grinding doesn't pay off in a Falcom game is kind of silly.

What? The Ys series is known for literally having enemies that you do 0 damage to until you gain a single level. I honestly can't think of a series where a single level matters more.

That is correct. Since the other poster was fighting the same enemies many times, I suppose he was tring to grind in areas where the xp gained should be close to zero.
Since the game quickly puts you in a good level, grinding isn't a necessary thing (though useful).

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I agree that grinding is generally pointless. But fighting normally as you progress through an area isn't really grinding, it's just playing the game, and that's almost always enough to be at the appropriate level.

itschris

Oct 27, 2017
I just noticed that NIS posted an update on the retranslation last week:

http://nisamerica.com/blog/ys-viii-revision-blog-arboreal-awakening
Debug is ongoing and we are now in our second build. Since our last blog post, we have received a new build with 95% of the text implemented plus all of the new audio from the voice re-recording.

Debug is going very smoothly and there are no crash or freeze bugs reported! Knock on wood! In light of that, our next build should be very close to complete with the text and audio bugs squashed!

There's also a video of an early Dana scene - I compared with the original version, here's a sample:

Original:
Dana: "Olga! Sarai! You both came?"

Olga: "Your Eminence, please allow us to watch over you during the Tree Festival today."

Sarai: "Thank you for letting us join you."

Dana: "S-Stop it, you two... This feels weird."

Olga: "With all due respect, you have already offered yourself to the Tree of Beginnings, your Eminence. Please avoid such frank expressions and act more dignified. Royals and diplomats will be coming to see you today, as well."

Dana: "Y-Yes."

Sarai: "Your Eminence will follow the ancient teachings and go to the shrine in the depths of the Great Valley. There won't be any danger on the way there, but please rest if you get tired. We will be waiting for you here."

Retranslation:
Dana: "Olga! Sarai! What are you doing here?"

Olga: "Your Eminence, we are honored to bear witness as you perform the Arboreal Awakening."

Sarai: "Thank you for allowing us to be part of this."

Dana: "C'mon, stop it you guys... This is gonna be weird now."

Olga: "With all due respect, Your Eminence, you have already submitted yourself to the Great Tree of Origins. Please strive to conduct yourself in a more dignified manner, as befits your station. Royalty and their subjects will all be in attendance to witness the proceedings."

Dana: "Yes, I will!"

Sarai: "Your Eminence must journey to the hallowed ground of the Great Valley, in accordance with the ancient precepts. You shouldn't encounter any danger as you undergo this trial, but please do not overexert yourself. If you need anything, we will not be far."

Last edited:

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also waiting for the PC version to finally play this. It sounds like they're doing a good job fixing it up.

improvise5

Oct 25, 2017
Long Beach, CA
I got this game for Christmas, was going to start it today and was unaware of the issues the game has. I saw all this and I guess I should just wait for the patch to fix it?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems better. I put the game on hold while waiting for the retranslation, so I hope it ends up being worth it. I'm dying to play the game.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure! I compared with a random Let's Play of the game I found on Youtube, by Die Hard Gamer Bros. (there's no commentary or anything, just gameplay):

https://youtu.be/4FdVGTLQ5uM?t=9m59s

If the link doesn't take you there, jump to around 10 minutes in for the scene.
Thanks! I appreciate it.

The acting seems better as well, and the Dana's portrayal is a bit different (the voice is noticeably lower). I actually wouldn't have though it was the same person.