• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
They completely ripped apart invoked neos and whole bunch of other current meta decks including black wings and WC in the new banlist.

Thank god as they were all the definition of anti-fun to play against in their current state.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Half-gem sale and new world launch. What's everyone buying? I have 3 UR and SR dream tickets and I'm stuck in choice paralysis might just get 3 floodgates.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
haven't open packs yet. I'm grinding to unlock the characters
Ah k cool, how much you saved up so far. I started out with 12.5k including the celebration. Currently at 7k bought some selection boxes with gems and some old boxes. Got 2 treacherous trap holes, 2 trunades, 1 concentrating current and 1 forbidden lance (also a black whirlwind and molehu but don't plan on playing either). not sure if I want to search the box yet but want to save a fair bit for future boxes since I expect some good xyz's for my archtypes.

Stunner911

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wakanda
Ah k cool, how much you saved up so far. I started out with 12.5k including the celebration. Currently at 7k bought some selection boxes with gems and some old boxes. Got 2 treacherous trap holes, 2 trunades, 1 concentrating current and 1 forbidden lance (also a black whirlwind and molehu but don't plan on playing either). not sure if I want to search the box yet but want to save a fair bit for future boxes since I expect some good xyz's for my archtypes.
9500 gems + leftovers

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So, how are newcomers feeling Xyz summoning?

For me it's the most organic mechanic in the game, it just works with any deck in such a simple, natural way. Quite possibly my favorite, even if I like the Synchro aesthetic much more.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
So, how are newcomers feeling Xyz summoning?

For me it's the most organic mechanic in the game, it just works with any deck in such a simple, natural way. Quite possibly my favorite, even if I like the Synchro aesthetic much more.
I don't like the card stack look on the board and the early XyZ's we're getting a pretty mediocre and mostly just useful in a slotting in common options defense or removal options for decks that don't access it.

It's definitely hard nerfed in a 3 monster zone format though. Synchro's at least can get out 3 synchro monsters out in one turn even though it requires some ridiculous decks to do (*cough* shiranui and blackwings *cough*) I'm not sure how Xyz's are ever going to manage that.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Some Information has been data mined.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Pendulum Summon is coming soon.

a2dddd6d5b0d9d061ed148ebd8fdbc57_w200.gif

Emperor_El

Oct 29, 2017
Break it down for me. What is Pendulum Summon and how does it work? I've seen the cards on various wikis but I don't know anything about the mechanics.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Break it down for me. What is Pendulum Summon and how does it work? I've seen the cards on various wikis but I don't know anything about the mechanics.

I will!

Pendulum monsters are basically 2 in 1 cards
latest

They can be summoned like regular monsters, and when they're in the Monsters zones their effects are the ones in the bottom effect box, like all other monsters.

But, they can also be activated as continuous spell cards in the "Pendulum/Spell/Trap Zones" of the field
nm7.jpg

(Pendulum zones used to be separated from the S/T zone but it got nerfed)

When they are in the Pendulum Zone, they are always treated as continuous spell cards and their "Spell" effect (called "Pendulum Effect") in the top box is the one in play.

So far so good? Cool because now it gets crazy.

When a Pendulum would be sent to the graveyard, regardless of which zone it was on, it will go to your Extra Deck instead, placed face up and it won't count towards your 15 facedown Extra Deck card limit.

This is because Pendulum cards in your extra Deck can be Summoned back through Pendulum Summon.

When you have 2 Pendulum Monsters in your 2 Pendulum/Spell/Trap Zones you are able to Pendulum Summon Once per turn.

The red/blue arrows in the top box of your Pendulums are called "Scales"

In a pendulum summon you used to be able to special summon ANY NUMBER of monsters in your hand or Pendulums in your extra Deck as long as their levels are in between those 2 scale values.

This was nerfed. And now you can only dump any number monsters in your hand that meet the level requirement. but Pendulums that come from the extra Deck must go into a single specific "Extra Monsters Zone" located at the top of the board when they're Pendulum summoned.

nm1.jpg

You can have more Monster zones treated as "Extra Monster Zones" through the Link mechanic, but there's no need to explain that one for now.

TL;DR:
NMwCUH.gif

Overall, Pendulums are powerful but require quite a bit of set-up, and it's easy to exploit their dependency on the back row, which made them very lackluster competitively besides 2 major Decks. But for casual players, they were considered broken and invincible and got a pretty bad rep, resulting on several nerfs.

Unlike the other mechanics like synchro and Xyz, Pendulums are very rarely used outside of Pendulum focused decks.

Last edited:

Emperor_El

Oct 29, 2017
I will!

TL;DR:
NMwCUH.gif

Overall, Pendulums are powerful but require quite a bit of set-up, and it's easy to exploit their dependency on the back row, which made them very lackluster competitively besides 2 major Decks. But for casual players, they were considered broken and invincible and got a pretty bad rep, resulting on several nerfs.

Unlike the other mechanics like synchro and XYZ, Pendulums are very rarely used outside of Pendulum focused decks.

Thanks. I feel like there isn't room for a middle ground with Pendulums in Duel Links. Those beginning character decks, the debut box and the debut deck are going to have to be really good. Especially with a card like Straight Flush already being in the game.

Isotope

Nov 7, 2017
Also really annoying you can only Pendulum Summon one monster from the Extra Deck at a time. Gotta wait for MR4 now for a pend buff lol

Emperor_El

Oct 29, 2017
I definitely didn't fully grasp how Pendulums worked when it was explained to me a lil while back, this shit is wild.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I definitely didn't fully grasp how Pendulums worked when it was explained to me a lil while back, this shit is wild.

Keep in mind, these are nerfed to hell.

Originally they had their own separate Pendulum zones so you wouldn't lose any of your 5 spell zones when you activated them and there was no hard 1 limit on summoning from the extra deck.

It was crazy.

I quite like how Pendulums work nowadays.

Oct 25, 2017
There's like no high scales to even pendulum out Odd-Eyes.

There's only
-Dragonpit that's from a structure
-Timegazer that you can only get one of unless you use the skill, also I dislike this card
-Some fairy card that you get from leveling up Zuzu

Emperor_El

Oct 29, 2017
The Pendulum EX Skill from the event is nice but I wish we had the choice of activating it because it's messing up my Yosenju deck.