• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I've been spending some time recently learning from the basics to the newest types and that's the not too head scratching part. It's not the rules, but rather the staggering amount of cards that work together can feel overwhelming, not to mention the many wall of text cards with very specific effects. Still, I'm slowly getting there, and like any of these long running TCG's they've evolved so much that naturally any new or returning player is going to be overwhelmed at first.

I am interesting in buying the cards again after about a decade, but I'm not sure where to start. I want to get the newest structure deck, but anything else specific? And any Black Friday deals anywhere? I've seen listings like "12 booster packs for $25", but I wasn't sure if buying random packs was a good idea without knowing what I'm looking for instead of something like a set?

At least for me, buying random packs is the equivalent of setting fire to your money

If I were you you I'd research the latest structure decks to see if any of those fit your Style

For example,Structure Deck Cyberse Link is coming out soon and it's focused on Link Summoning, so it plays great together with the cards you get with Starter Deck Link Strike.

Legendary Dragon Decks has some great vale as it includes the basics for a Dark Magician Deck, a Cyber Dragon Fusion/Xyz deck and an Odd-Eyes Pendulum Deck

If you really want to buy packs then buy "Pendulum Evolution" as almost all your pulls will work for a Magician Pendulum Deck

Last edited:

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Ok I'll give it a whirl. Where would I start? Structure decks I'm assuming?
Yeah. Structure deck is always a good start. Sometimes with 3 of them you can already build a fairly competitive deck ( for example Dinosmasher Fury). The Cyberse one looks like a decent product. Stay away from booster packs unless you're extremely lucky :)

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah. Structure deck is always a good start. Sometimes with 3 of them you can already build a fairly competitive deck ( for example Dinosmasher Fury). The Cyberse one looks like a decent product. Stay away from booster packs unless you're extremely lucky :)
Is the starter deck worth a buy?

One of the things I talked about in the duel links ot was that I suck at building decks. So I'm a bit nervous about it. Also does anyone know what the yugioh scene is like in Japan?

I tried getting into the Pokemon tcg here a few years ago and it wasn't very friendly and the main reason I quit

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Slowing the game down guys!

Summon-Sorceress.png

Summon Sorceress
Link-3 / DARK / Spellcaster / Link / Effect monster
ATK 2400 / LINK-3
2+ monsters with the same Type, except Tokens
You can only use this card name's (2) effect once per turn.
(1) If this card is Link Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 monster from your hand in Defense Position to your opponent's zone this card points to.
(2) You can target 1 face-up monster this card points to; Special Summon 1 monster with the same Type from your Deck in Defense Position to a zone this card points to on either side of the field, but that monster's effects are negated.

hypno

Oct 25, 2017
HERO Link monster in Premium Pack 20 (also new White cards for White Aura monsters/Fish support)

o8axvc8.png

PP20-JP002 Xtra HERO Wonder Driver
Link 2 LIGHT Warrior Link Effect Monster
ATK 1900
Links: Top, Bottom
Materials: 2 "HERO" monsters
You can only use this card name's (1) effect once per turn.
(1) If a "HERO" monster is Normal/Special Summoned to your zone this card points to: Target 1 "Fusion" or "Polymerization" Spell, or "Change" Quick-Play Spell, in your GY; Set it to your field.
(2) If this card is destroyed by battle, or if this card in its owner's possession is destroyed by an opponent's card effect and sent to the GY: You can Special Summon 1 "HERO" monster from your hand.

Trickstars and Goukis in Flame of Destruction

Trickstar-Bella-Madonna.png

FLOD-JP038 Trickstar Bella Madonna
Link 4 LIGHT Fairy Link Effect Monster
ATK 2800
Links: Top, Right, Bottom Left, Bottom
Materials: 2+ "Trickstar" monsters
You can only use this card name's (2) effect once per turn.
(1) While this Link Summoned card does not point to any monsters, it is unaffected by activated effects from other cards.
(2) If this card does not point to any monsters: You can inflict 200 damage to your opponent for each "Trickstar" monster in your GY with a different name.

Gouki-The-master-ogre.png

FLOD-JP041 Gouki The Master Ogre
Link 4 EARTH Warrior Link Effect Monster
ATK 2800
Links: Top, Bottom Left, Bottom, Bottom Right
Links: 2+ "Gouki' monsters
(1) Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can return any number of "Gouki" monsters this card points to to the hand, then target that many face-up cards your opponent controls; negate the effects of those cards until the end of this turn.
(2) This card can attack all monsters your opponent controls, once each. While your opponent controls a face-up monster(s), this card can only target the monster your opponent controls with the highest ATK for an attack.

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
As a HERO player I can't help but feel that the Link monster is a little half baked.

It doesn't really do anything to advance the field.

However I love that I can summon him with my Destiny Heroes.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
That specific Link monster doesn't sound that special to me either, but I'm just glad we're getting HERO link support already. I mean I assume we haven't seen the last of Xtra Heroes.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The sole purpose of that Link is to help you set up a new fusion or change if you lack the spells

I agree it could've been far better, they should make it up by #FreeStratos

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
The sole purpose of that Link is to help you set up a new fusion or change if you lack the spells

I agree it could've been far better, they should make it up by #FreeStratos
Yes free Stratos already!

This card is making me want to try Miracle Fusion again.

I miss Super Polymerization right now.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
!

Traffic Ghost
DARK Cyberse / Link
LINK-3 ATK1800
Link Arrows: Bottom-Left, Bottom, Bottom-Right
Materials: 3 monsters
(No effect)

LAN Pholinks
LIGHT Cyberse / Link
LINK-2 ATK1200
Link Arrows: Bottom-Left, Bottom-Right
Materials: 2 monsters
(No Effect)

Segmental Dragon
LIGHT Cyberse / Effect
LV7 2600/2400
(1) You can Normal Summon or Set this card without tributing.
(2) If this card is Normal Summoned or Set by the above method, its original ATK and DEF are halved.
(3) Once per turn, if this card was Normal Summoned or Set (Quick Effect): you can destroy this face-up card, and if you do, destroy all monsters in the Main Monster zones whose ATK is equal or lower than this card's ATK.

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
I like the vanilla links, the link arrows are very versatile and can be used by any deck.

Almost like these should have been some of the first Link monsters...

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I like the vanilla links, the link arrows are very versatile and can be used by any deck.

Almost like these should have been some of the first Link monsters...

It's certainly starting to look like "Link Summon: The Apology Edition"

Hopefully their next step will be erasing the Extra Deck summon limitation for good next gen, just have the new zone be exclusive for Links and have Links only be able to be summoned to Main Zones the Links on the Extra Zoness are pointing at.

Keep the position based mechanic, cut the restrictive crap. "Slow the Game Down" my ass.

Link Summon and Link Rules have been executed abysmally

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Picked up the starter pack. Going through the rule book in my spare time. So far it seems way more complicated than when I played it as a teenager. Duel links uses the speed duel system so I wasn't expecting it to be similar.

But I feel like if I keep playing duel links I can at least get a grasp for the overall rules again and get more accustomed to card effects. If I get time this weekend I'll look for a place to play in Tokyo that's friendly for beginners. Feel quite excited to get back into this!

Luxuria

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Miami, FL
Planning on getting a Spirit Warriors box tomorrow. Friend wants the Samurai cards and I really only care for the rest.

It sucks to read online that two of the Magibullets are short print. That's going to make it an expensive deck to make. I've been playing it on YGOPro and I absolutely love how they work.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The gaming forum is full of discussion of gambling and they always seem to use YGO and Pokemon as scapegoats

That seems like a cool discussion for us

Personally I'd be glad if shit like short printing, rarity bumping and booster packs overall gets more regulated

In fact I could do away with Booster Packs completely

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
I'm definitely glad we've gone away from packs with insanely valuable cards.

Cards like Solemn Strike and Pot of Desires never reached the price heights of say Solemn Warning and Pot of Duality.

Rarity bumps drive me crazy.

Cardcar D was especially annoying with this.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Can't really talk in depth about yugioh considering I've just started again but I feel like booster packs are so ingrained into TCG that they'd be hard to get rid of completely.

Speaking of which, is that where the most money is earned? Because 2nd hand cards are third party right so they don't see any of that money. I see a few Japanese you tubers buying a bunch of boxes to open for videos.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Can't really talk in depth about yugioh considering I've just started again but I feel like booster packs are so ingrained into TCG that they'd be hard to get rid of completely.

Speaking of which, is that where the most money is earned? Because 2nd hand cards are third party right so they don't see any of that money. I see a few Japanese you tubers buying a bunch of boxes to open for videos.

According to Kevin Tewart from Konami R&D who posted on Pojo before assholes started harrasing him, Hardcore players buying booster are actually a small percentage of the revenue
their biggest sources are nostalgic fans buying yugi and kaiba collections and kids buying starter decks or collections from the newer animes, basically filthy casuals keep YGO alive.

Edit: Man I miss having Kevin and Julia answering questions on that forum...

But nooooo people had to threaten them because they were baka gaijins who renamed their precious No.39 Kibou Ou Hope "Number 39: Utopia"

Last edited:

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
According to Kevin Tewart from Konami R&D who posted on Pojo before assholes started harrasing him, Hardcore players buying booster are actually a small percentage of the revenue
their biggest sources are nostalgic fans buying yugi and kaiba collections and kids buying starter decks or collections from the newer animes, basically filthy casuals keep YGO alive.

Edit: Man I miss having Kevin and Julia answering questions on that forum...

But nooooo people had to threaten them because they were baka gaijins who renamed their precious No.39 Kibou Ou Hope "Number 39: Utopia"

Glad to know I'm keeping the dream alive haha. Will do my best to try and advance from a filthy casual!

It's awful to hear that though. Some fans can be so weird with translations. I see it all the time. Some translations can be pretty bad but it's not something to threaten people with.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey dudes! I'm attempting to jump back in after being absent since GX. I played Legacy of the Duelist when it came out, but never tried Pendulums. My goal is to get a good deck (maybe more!) going and try playing at my local shops.

Since I've always loved the game's various dragons (HERO's too, but not sure what to get there), I picked up the Legendary Dragon Decks box, as well as the Link starter deck since I always hear about Decode Talker. I'm still not sure what to go for though, since I'm not entirely sure what's meta and what I can get going around dragons that is competitive. I thought Blue Eyes but those new Alternative cards are expensive as hell.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Hey dudes! I'm attempting to jump back in after being absent since GX. I played Legacy of the Duelist when it came out, but never tried Pendulums. My goal is to get a good deck (maybe more!) going and try playing at my local shops.

Since I've always loved the game's various dragons (HERO's too, but not sure what to get there), I picked up the Legendary Dragon Decks box, as well as the Link starter deck since I always hear about Decode Talker. I'm still not sure what to go for though, since I'm not entirely sure what's meta and what I can get going around dragons that is competitive. I thought Blue Eyes but those new Alternative cards are expensive as hell.

The Dark Magician, Cyber Dragon and Pendulum Decks you got from that collection are a great entry point, they're all decent to good decks

If you want to go meta, your best bet is Pendulum Magicians, Trickstars or SPYRALS

Pendulum Magician is really Cheap and uses many cards you alreday have from the Dragon Collection

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Dark Magician, Cyber Dragon and Pendulum Decks you got from that collection are a great entry point, they're all decent to good decks

If you want to go meta, your best bet is Pendulum Magicians, Trickstars or SPYRALS

Pendulum Magician is really Cheap and uses many cards you alreday have from the Dragon Collection
I did see that the Pendulum Magicians used to be relevant with Odd Eyes, so that's still true? And is it a Link heavy deck as well or just targeting Pendulums?

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
You obviously won't be winning major tournaments, but is it entirely feasible to be 'competitive' at local stores without using pendulums, Xyzs, links, etc.?

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
You obviously won't be winning major tournaments, but is it entirely feasible to be 'competitive' at local stores without using pendulums, Xyzs, links, etc.?
I'm sure if you made your Deck anti-meta enough you could win a locals.

Alternatively using a deck like Blue-eyes would definitely feasible without even need for an extra deck (though personally I'd use some Synchros/Xyz in Blue-eyes.)

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

If you play Monarchs or Kaijus, yes.

Monarch card effects require you to have 0 cards in your Extra Deck, and they were so OP they had to be nerfed

I did see that the Pendulum Magicians used to be relevant with Odd Eyes, so that's still true? And is it a Link heavy deck as well or just targeting Pendulums?

Odd-Eyes still work with Magicians but Magicians work much better by themselves

Last edited:

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Stopped playin around 2006 or so. And i've been watchin videos and reading rules of the current format. So i got a question.

Older tokens sometimes have stipulations that they cant be used for tribute summon or synchro material. And i googled they cant be used for xyz material either as a general rule. But it seems they can be used for link material, which didnt exist as a gameplay mechanic until fairly recently. Is this an oversight from konami? Probably not a big deal but i just figured the original intent of earlier tokens was for effects or as meat shields, not as summoning material.

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017
Stopped playin around 2006 or so. And i've been watchin videos and reading rules of the current format. So i got a question.

Older tokens sometimes have stipulations that they cant be used for tribute summon or synchro material. And i googled they cant be used for xyz material either as a general rule. But it seems they can be used for link material, which didnt exist as a gameplay mechanic until fairly recently. Is this an oversight from konami? Probably not a big deal but i just figured the original intent of earlier tokens was for effects or as meat shields, not as summoning material.

That was probably their intention originally, but then they realized that Links would have more gameplay depth if they allowed tokens for their summon. So instead of blocking tokens outright, some Link monsters will just specify <except tokens> or <only effect monsters> in their summon recipe, like Akashic Magician and Decode Talker, to restrict the summon. Pretty clever way to do it I think.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I've been playing around with trickstars in Yugioh pro. They've done fairly well for me despite really lacking any particularly strong monsters. effect damage for days

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
That was probably their intention originally, but then they realized that Links would have more gameplay depth if they allowed tokens for their summon. So instead of blocking tokens outright, some Link monsters will just specify <except tokens> or <only effect monsters> in their summon recipe, like Akashic Magician and Decode Talker, to restrict the summon. Pretty clever way to do it I think.

Still Tokens being Ok made some cards hilariously broken...look at the shit you can do with a single Grinder Golem

They even bypass Akashic's limitation by just turning the tokens into LINK-1 Monsters

Synchro Summon also allows Tokens but needing a Tuner makes it much less dumb.

The (forced) implementation Link Mechanic has been awful.

Players are only getting Link Monsters for popular older decks a year after they were introduced

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing around with trickstars in Yugioh pro. They've done fairly well for me despite really lacking any particularly strong monsters. effect damage for days

Trickstars are crazy. They have no once per turn restrictions on any of their cards, and they basically search each other in a big loop, so you're only 1 card away from getting back in the game. The core is only about 12 cards too, so you have a ton of space to incorporate disruption like hand traps, regular trap cards, and/or other engines like Windwitch.

But yes you're right their biggest weakness is that they lack attack power to get over large monsters, which is why people enhance them with Honest, and more recently, Eater of Millions.

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017
Still Tokens being Ok made some cards hilariously broken...look at the shit you can do with a single Grinder Golem

They even bypass Akashic's limitation by just turning the tokens into LINK-1 Monsters

Synchro Summon also allows Tokens but needing a Tuner makes it much less dumb.

The (forced) implementation Link Mechanic has been awful.

Players are only getting Link Monsters for popular older decks a year after they were introduced

Oh yeah I agree. Loops like that are definitely a failure of their dev team, but mistakes like that are not exclusive to the design of Links unfortunately. Konami hasn't had the best track record. I think they were hoping that people wouldn't sacrifice 4 slots of their extra deck to run 3 Link Spiders and a Missus Radiant, but they underestimated how much people min/max strategies at the competitive level.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Trickstars are crazy. They have no once per turn restrictions on any of their cards, and they basically search each other in a big loop, so you're only 1 card away from getting back in the game. The core is only about 12 cards too, so you have a ton of space to incorporate disruption like hand traps, regular trap cards, and/or other engines like Windwitch.

But yes you're right their biggest weakness is that they lack attack power to get over large monsters, which is why people enhance them with Honest, and more recently, Eater of Millions.
yeah, honest is really a necessity for the deck, it's really good that they're all light attribute. And yeah, the biggest counter that isn't likely to be side deck only (so ignoring light improsing mirror since obviously cards like that are going to be super disruptive to a light attribute deck) is probably performage trapeze magician since he eliminates small effect damage (and Lilybell's direct attack damage too I believe since it's going to be less than it's attack) which is most of how the deck hurts the opponent

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
is there any online yugioh platform like magic the gathering online? I'm interested in playing the game again, but not terribly interested in buying actual cards and i dont think there are really any game stores that close to where i live

Oct 25, 2017
So, I've got big stacks of cards, was wondering how feasible it'd be to start selling some of them? I've set up an account on TCGPlayer already but dunno if it's worth it to go through with it.

Not looking to replace my job with it or any shit like that, but I'd like to be able to start listing the cards I have and don't want and maybe start buying packs to fund the cards I do want, and maybe a bit of cash on the side. Wouldn't mind picking up a box of cards, tearing them apart and selling individuals if it's at least cost neutral in the long run.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Snagged Bonds Beyond Time on Blu-ray for £4.50 on eBay a few days ago and it arrived today. It's been out of print for years and the only way to get a new copy nowadays is in a doublepack with The Dark Side of Dimensions.

Personally I'm not a fan of "two movies in one!" packs so I was really pleased to find a single copy for so cheap.

I was really surprised to see the Malefic Red-Eyes B. Dragon promo card still sealed inside!

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
is there any online yugioh platform like magic the gathering online? I'm interested in playing the game again, but not terribly interested in buying actual cards and i dont think there are really any game stores that close to where i live
YGOPRO Percy is what I use to play others online.

It's fully automated like the video games and has all of the newest rules and cards.

Dueling Book is also an option, you don't have to download it like YGOPro, however, everything is done manually and there is nothing to prevent cheating.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
YGOPRO Percy is what I use to play others online.

It's fully automated like the video games and has all of the newest rules and cards.

Dueling Book is also an option, you don't have to download it like YGOPro, however, everything is done manually and there is nothing to prevent cheating.
Ok cool thanks, I will check them out

What exactly does automatic mean in this context?

It would be cool if Konami came out with their own platform too

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
Ok cool thanks, I will check them out

What exactly does automatic mean in this context?

It would be cool if Konami came out with their own platform too
Yeah I'd love it if Konami made a platform themselves, hell, put it on Steam.

Automatic in this sense means that things like shuffling, searching, life point calculation, card removal, etc will be handled by the game.

Another big advantage is that the rulings are built into the game.

Essential you and your opponent will never be able to make an illegal play, so there's virtually no cheating.

This is especially helpful for returning players.

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any sources like these similar to Magic?

MTG Goldfish/Tapped Out/Mtgdecks.net where people post decks and rate them? All i can find is yugiohtopdecks.com and that only pulls decks from Tournaments.

Also whats good for buying Singles online? TCGplayer doesn't see to offer the TCG Player Direct service for Yu-Gi-Oh cards , just Magic cards. (meaning i can get $6 shipping to Australia)

It's funny there are hundreds of Youtube videos out there that talk about deck builds but never once post a decklist.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

MTG Goldfish/Tapped Out/Mtgdecks.net where people post decks and rate them? All i can find is yugiohtopdecks.com and that only pulls decks from Tournaments.

Also whats good for buying Singles online? TCGplayer doesn't see to offer the TCG Player Direct service for Yu-Gi-Oh cards , just Magic cards. (meaning i can get $6 shipping to Australia)

It's funny there are hundreds of Youtube videos out there that talk about deck builds but never once post a decklist.

Only place I know were people share decklists is Pojo Forums.

And it's a fucking awful place

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017

In addition to yugiohtopdecks, I also visit http://ygoprodeck.com/. I like their articles on meta-relevant decks, but users post a ton of builds on there too.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The next OCG Limit Regulation List for January 2018 has been released and it takes effect from January 2018! Changes are as follows!

Forbidden:
Ancient Fairy Dragon

Limited:
SPYRAL GEAR Drone
SPYRAL Quik-Fix
Dandylion
Blackwing – Steam the Cloak
Firewall Dragon
SPYRAL RESORT

Semi-Limited:
Tribe-Infecting Virus
Grinder Golem
Shurit, Strategist of Nekroz
Mathematician
Lonefire Blossom
Scapegoat
Pantheism of the Monarchs
Set Rotation
Solemn Warning

Unlimited:
Atlantean Dragoons
Maxx "C"
Dark Hole
Future Fusion

Holy shit at the new OCG List

How can you not BAN Golemn?

Ancient Fairy was robbed

Our first Link Monster and MC Card to ever hit the list, recap that one, Yusaku

Anyways if this list shows anything is that we will see a lot of "Except Tokens" on future Links

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
Terrible leaving Grinder Golem.

Kind of unreal to see a protagonist Monster hit to 1.

3 Maxx C and Dark Hole is crazy.

Rip Ancient Fairy :( you didn't deserve this fate.