• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017

Red Eyes Zombie Necro Dragon caught my attention.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Are there any duels during the ZeXal anime that is worth checking out? Watching how XYZs play out in Arc-V piqued my interest in the anime that focused on XYZ monsters, even though fans consider that anime to be one to avoid. Surely there are some great duels in that show. At the very least, suggest some that aren't just the final stretch of the run.

Also, during the ZeXal era, which archetypes used by the characters are considered great archetypes in the main game, or at least viable? Using GX era as an example, Cyber Dragon is one such archetype that was super viable, while in 5D's, you have a few like Blackwings and Plants.

Thank you for reading.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Man, poor Yuzu...

Are there any duels during the ZeXal anime that is worth checking out? Watching how XYZs play out in Arc-V piqued my interest in the anime that focused on XYZ monsters, even though fans consider that anime to be one to avoid. Surely there are some great duels in that show. At the very least, suggest some that aren't just the final stretch of the run.

Also, during the ZeXal era, which archetypes used by the characters are considered great archetypes in the main game, or at least viable? Using GX era as an example, Cyber Dragon is one such archetype that was super viable, while in 5D's, you have a few like Blackwings and Plants.

Thank you for reading.

Galaxy is the bestest archetype ever made. I am not biased.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Do they use other summing styles in VRAINS? That's kinda neat. Happy it's not s repeat zexal.

Mario Bilo

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
After the backlash from how utterly terrible S1 was yeah.

The old summoning methods popped out of thin air. Problem is that they changed the classic animations for each type of summon
So there's no explanation, suddenly people just can use the other summoning methods? That kinda sucks.

Ah so I'll have to get through season 1 to get to them. I'm still on episode 20 only currently

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So there's no explanation, suddenly people just can use the other summoning methods? That kinda sucks.

Ah so I'll have to get through season 1 to get to them. I'm still on episode 20 only currently

Nope, suddenly they're facing an opponent and remember Fusion is a thing. So they just do it because their "Dueling has evolved"

Mario Bilo

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Nope, suddenly they're facing an opponent and remember Fusion is a thing. So they just do it because their "Dueling has evolved"
Ah okay, that's kinda sucky but still better than the status quo of everyone just link spamming. Makes the duels more diverse at least. Plus I never like link summoning to be begin with so it's something to look forward to!

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
OrangeNova check these out, new Spell Counter Structure was revealed

Endymion-the-Founding-Master-Magician.jpg

Endymion, the Founding Sorcerer Supreme
DARK Spellcaster Pendulum Effect Monster
LV7 2800/1700
Pendulum Scale: 8
Pendulum Effect:
You can only use the Pendulum Effect of this card's name once per turn:
(1) You can remove 6 Spell Counters from your field; Special Summon this card from the Pendulum Zone. Then, destroy cards on the field up to the number of cards you control that you can place Spell Counters on, and for each card destroyed, place a Spell Counter on this card.
Monster Effect:
(1) Once per turn, when the effect of a Spell/Trap is activated: You can return 1 card that has Spell Counters placed on it to the hand, then, negate that effect, and if you do, destroy that card. Then, place the Spell Counters that were on that card on this card.
(2) This card that has Spell Counters placed on it cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponent's effects.
(3) When this card with Spell Counters placed on it is destroyed by battle: You can add 1 Normal Spell from your Deck to your hand.

Daybreaker-the-Splendid-Magical-Knight.jpg

Daybreaker the Splendid Magical Knight
LIGHT Spellcaster Link Effect Monster
LINK-2 ATK1600
Links: Bottom Left, Bottom Right
Materials: 2 Spellcaster monsters
You can only use the 2nd and 4th effects of this card's name each once per turn.
(1) If this card is Link Summoned: Activate this effect; place 1 Spell Counter on this card.
(2) If a Spellcaster is Special Summoned to a Monster Zone this card points to: Activate this effect. Place 1 Spell Counter on this card
(3) This card gains 300 ATK for each Spell Counter on this card.
(4) You can remove 2 Spell Counters from this card, then target 1 card on the field; destroy that card.

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
Nice to see Breaker getting some love.

Really digging the new Takahashi arts as well, specifically Exodia, Master of the Guard.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
That Endymion is fucking good holy shit.

Just realized it summons itself for free and destroys 3+ cards in any decent Spell Counter deck

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
There's something I wondered: when watching the anime starting from GX era, should the viewer be familiar with the rules of the game if they were to fully enjoy and appreciate the duels? I don't remember if the anime properly explained certain rules like the different phases (I don't think Standby Phases are made obvious even though it's there, such as Speed Duels in 5D's), though it has a tendency to repeat certain things to a fault, like explaining Pot of Greed's effect and reminding the other player that they still take damage.

Since I started familiarising myself with Yu-gi-oh's rules before GX and finding out that the anime took liberties from the actual game, I already appreciated the duels as I knew how the game works. After all, GX is when the game's rules are closer to the actual game like how Quick Play Spell Cards are the only Spell Cards that can be activated face down on the opponent's turn (save for a few exceptions like summoning monsters in face up DEF position), and subsequent anime series even following changes in rules (i.e.: Arc-V where the first player can't draw a card on the first turn).

Thank you for reading.

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dangers and Sky Strikers needed to be hit on this ban list. Also Cyber Stein and Card Destruction need to remain banned.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Has anyone tried the new speed duel stuff?

I was reading the rules and apparently you can't use any of your existing cards, they all have to be the Speed Duel branded ones for that mode? What if I use an alternate art that exists in speed duels?

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Has anyone tried the new speed duel stuff?

I was reading the rules and apparently you can't use any of your existing cards, they all have to be the Speed Duel branded ones for that mode? What if I use an alternate art that exists in speed duels?

You can't use anything that's not branded.

It's dumb and nobody asked for it

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's dumb and nobody asked for it

As someone who generally is super anti-geewunner who somehow happens to find themself absolutely geewunner when it comes to Yu-Gi-Oh, I didn't ask for it but I absolutely picked up both starter sets and would buy any more they put out based on characters from the Duel Monsters seasons.

I never played the YGO card game beyond picking up a Kaiba starter deck and a few booster packs here and there back in the day while semi-ironically watching the cartoon while getting ready for school at what was probably too high an age before getting in to YGO Abridged based on that ridiculousness so these two sets based on characters and monsters I recognise in a somewhat streamlined format that make them easy to pull out and play as a kind of YGO board game absolutely appeal to me.

I'm not going to be buying booster boxes or hitting up the local game shop to take part in any events they might run (I haven't seen them doing any for this format yet anyway) so maybe there's no future in it as a long-term alternative format, but if they keep putting out starter sets occasionally where I can be like "oh, cool, this one has decks based on Rex, Weevil, and Bandit Keith" or "hey, here's one with Battle City decks" and so on I certainly think there's appeal as a casual, supplemental product for people like me whose heads the modern game goes entirely over but who see them and nostalgically want to revisit the game in a kitchen table manner.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
As someone who generally is super anti-geewunner who somehow happens to find themself absolutely geewunner when it comes to Yu-Gi-Oh, I didn't ask for it but I absolutely picked up both starter sets and would buy any more they put out based on characters from the Duel Monsters seasons.

I never played the YGO card game beyond picking up a Kaiba starter deck and a few booster packs here and there back in the day while semi-ironically watching the cartoon while getting ready for school at what was probably too high an age before getting in to YGO Abridged based on that ridiculousness so these two sets based on characters and monsters I recognise in a somewhat streamlined format that make them easy to pull out and play as a kind of YGO board game absolutely appeal to me.

I'm not going to be buying booster boxes or hitting up the local game shop to take part in any events they might run (I haven't seen them doing any for this format yet anyway) so maybe there's no future in it as a long-term alternative format, but if they keep putting out starter sets occasionally where I can be like "oh, cool, this one has decks based on Rex, Weevil, and Bandit Keith" or "hey, here's one with Battle City decks" and so on I certainly think there's appeal as a casual, supplemental product for people like me whose heads the modern game goes entirely over but who see them and nostalgically want to revisit the game in a kitchen table manner.
Yeah, the packs and starter decks are totally fine, I bought the decks and I'll probably buy a box of packs for some fun, but really I think(and this includes myself) players who have all of these cards already are just upset that they can't use them without rebuying the exact same card.

Like if I wanted a competitive deck, I couldn't use the hundreds/thousands of dollars of cards I already own, and instead have to spend more money to get the same card but with SPEED DUEL printed on it.

I do enjoy the format, I really want to stress that, but it's kinda shitty they couldn't release a list of what cards can be used.

Yesssssss

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
That's probably the coolest use of Pendulum monsters nature as Spells and monsters

I need that Endymion Empress

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I need 3 of these decks to rebuild my Arcanite Assault mode deck

You saw the new Assault Mode Support?

latest

Assault Reboot

Tribute 1 "/Assault Mode" monster you control; Special Summon 1 "/Assault Mode" monster from your Deck in Defense Position, ignoring its Summoning conditions. You can banish this card form the GY, then targetany number of "Assault Mode Activate" and/or cards with different names that specifically list the card "Assault Mode Activate" in their text in your GY, except "Assault Reboot"; shuffle them into the Deck. You can only use each effect of "Assault Reboot" once per turn.

Assault Mode Zero
Tribute 1 Synchro Monster; Special Summon from your hand 1 "/Assault Mode" monster whose name includes the Tributed monster's. (This Special Summon is treated as a Special Summon with "Assault Mode Activate"). During your Main Phase: You can banish this card from your GY; Set 1 "Assault Mode Activate" from your hand or Deck, also it can be activatedthis turn. You can only use each effect of "Assault Mode Zero" once per turn.