• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
So Horii was recently interviewed and gave a bunch of neat tidbits from everything from DQ1 development to Chrono Trigger to him loving Demon Slayer . LONG Twitter thread courtesy of soulstyce.

but I found this the most interesting

Suppose those 4ch rumors of a DQ3 remake were actually true, could that be the testing ground for something like this? Could we get more dynamic dialog for characters based on choices? It would probably eliminate the need for full voice acting which would be a bit of a drawback but I could see them recording various grunts and short phrases and just play that with dynamic dialog.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
They could use model machine learning for companions in fights. That would be interesting, since they have the hum tactics or whatever it's called. Train models on each tactic.

But... i think for the enemies it would be too much, because learning the AI of a boss or even random enemy is a big part of the fun i think, and using studied models might just make that too hard.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't like the sound of that...
sounds more like day-dreaming by horii anyway, i doubt this is something they can implement in the near future

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It can work if it's limited enough. Otherwise you are throwing the player's experience with a supporting cast up to AI lotto, which may produce very wild results in enjoyment. I would imagine such a thing is a game designer's nightmare.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Bah, this is a bad take folks constantly throw out. The series being steeped in tradition =/= it being conservative when it comes to this sort of thing. There are too many examples of DQ pioneering and popularising cool shit. Like, StreetPass for instance.

DQXI also puts a lot of games ot shame in the genre visually and how consistent it performs, their tech is top notch usually. Of course graphics arent the same as AI, but if any team gets it done when talking JRPGs they are some of those I trust the most.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a bunch of stuff you could built spin-offs around ...doubt these are considered for the main series lol.

Oct 27, 2017
France
Q: "The Dragon Quest series was full of groundbreaking ideas that had never been seen in games before, such as vocations and marriage events. How did you come up with these ideas?"

Phantasy Star III did it before Dragon Quest.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think as an experiment it could work if limited to certain functions of the game, for example only for campfire talk or have specific NPC quest, maybe have like a single "minigame" village where every NPC is AI generated.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I could see this working out pretty well on a DQ9 follow up since that has a lot of emphasis on customization.

Dec 21, 2020
So, like that rumor of Mario 64 being personalized as you go, but with Dragon Quest instead and actually existing while not being a pasta rumor from the 90s?

Nintendo I demand a M64 remake and that personalized rumor becomes real. DO IT YOU COWARDS!!!

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
if they really wanna make another DQ3/DQ9 style game then sure, go for it

But it shouldn't ever replace proper party members and their associated story arcs

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
I think this is a stretch these comments should probably be read as speculative. As an example, way, way back in the 80s Horii gave an interview saying that it would be cool to have other players control party members in a future DQ game. 20 years later we saw DQ9 and later DQ10. This is pie in the sky(net) stuff folks.