• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Mario would've probably died off as an IP, and we wouldn't have SM64.
Dude has a horrible record as a producer.

But anyway...What is he going to do for SE? A senior programmer?
Can't really see any IP that would fit his style for him to direct/produce.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I always felt like he was a better fit for Namco and it seemed like he would have preferred that over Nintendo any day of the week, so this was a bit weird to hear.

In a way I think if he stopped working with SEGA fullstop in the mid 90s I think the Sonic franchise would have had an overall better trajectory and better people would have been put to direct and manage the franchise going forward. Naka pretty famously scared off loads of people from not just Sonic Team but SEGA as a whole.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I always felt like he was a better fit for Namco and it seemed like he would have preferred that over Nintendo any day of the week, so this was a bit weird to hear.

In a way I think if he stopped working with SEGA fullstop in the mid 90s I think the Sonic franchise would have had an overall better trajectory and better people would have been put to direct and manage the franchise going forward. Naka pretty famously scared off loads of people from not just Sonic Team but SEGA as a whole.
Eh. How instrumental was Naka in setting up Iizuka as director? I never got the impression he really knew what he was doing.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Programmers back then often became producers, because they were involved in every aspect of the game. It is a natural fit and Nintendo has done it too

Either way, Naka would have never been able to flex his creative muscles at Nintendo like he did at Sega.
New IP and ideas come from very few senior people at the top at Nintendo that also have been groomed. Naka would have not been welcome in that structure.
I'm not saying that programmers couldn't or shouldn't become producers. I'm saying Naka specifically is bad at that role. He wasn't good at driving the direction of Sonic and the series floundered after he drove away people like Yasuhara and put Iizuka in charge.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
he got rejected because his games' control were too 'loose'. Nintendo require their games to have 'tight' controls.

And i'll see myself out.

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
I'm not saying that programmers couldn't or shouldn't become producers. I'm saying Naka specifically is bad at that role. He wasn't good at driving the direction of Sonic and the series floundered after he drove away people like Yasuhara and put Iizuka in charge.
Very well said. Naka should have just stayed in the technical role, he is not the best Producer or Team leader. Yoji Ishii should have lead the Sonic Team back inthe day.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017

He drove the direction of Sonic since Sonic 1, not since Yasuhara left. He made great and bad decisions I would say.

Ultimately I don't know who to blame. I think all three of the main guys behind Sonic floundered in their later careers

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know this is old news, but I resurrect this topic because good old Shmuplations has released a very interesting interview with Yuji Naka and I'm surprised by his insistence at the time.

Just look at these quotes:

This is kinda heartbreaking for most hardcore Sega fanboys lol.

I cannot deny I have a profound curiosity in this "what if Yuji Naka made games at Nintendo" timeline.

(PD - before your rant: this is not a company wars thread. Don't get me wrong, I love Sega).

Not really heart-breaking, although I liked the classic Sonic games and I absolutely loved Nights into Dreams it became evident to me a few years later that those types of games tend to fare better on Nintendo consoles and Nintendo's hardware is where Sonic's current games tend to sell best out of the current platforms, at least that's the impression I have, so much so that Sega often makes exclusive Sonic games for their platforms.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
I believe Yoji Ishii is now the head of Arzest alongside Naoto Ohshima and Yutaka Sugano.

He is and was pretty much a manager for Sega games for the Saturn era (Panzer Dragoon, Sakura Wars, Sonic Team stuff).

Artoon was initially funded by Hayao Nakayama, so more or less with Sega money. Same with Prope.

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
I believe Yoji Ishii is now the head of Arzest alongside Naoto Ohshima and Yutaka Sugano.

Yeah he is and he should have been the one to Lead the Sonic Team and well all of SEGA consumer Teams. He was a safe pair of hands and an excellent producer. I think Naka-san was a Genius when it came to programming, but you can't have a person with his temperament leading a Team imo.