• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Let's Tap (I think first Naka's game with his new studio) was wonderful. I think Naka has a potential to do wonderful and imaginative things.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
So, what happens to Prope? Are they still going?

I guess his own studio dream didn't work out when Rodea got stuck to the Wii and then they could only get cheap Digimon work.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Boy, imagine the endless possibilities that could merge between one of the key creators of Sonic/Shadow the Hedgehog and the developers of the Final Fantasy Series

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's interesting. Wonder what type of thing he'll be working on?

He did work on the Phantasy Star games...

Akumasama

Nov 8, 2017
Italy
I used to be in love with Yuji Naka during the Dreamcast days.
Phantasy Star Online was a huge milestone in console gaming for those times.
Chu Chu Rocket was an impressive (online!) puzzle game as well.

Last but not least Sonic Adventure. Despite its quite evident flaws, to me it was the only game that during a 2D > 3D era managed to make Sonic become a 3D platformer remaining true to its original style, innovating it, expanding it and doing it in an original way without being yet again the nth copy of Mario 64's approach to 3D platformer. Because let's face it, all 3D platform games of that era copied Mario, some arguably doing even better than the original, but they didn't really try a "different route". I feel like Sonic Adventure is the only one that at least tried to follow its own path.

No clue what could Yuji Naka bring on the table in 2018 and beyond though. Does he still have anything to say? Does he have good ideas for cool, new interesting large projects that aren't just "cool" puzzle games or stuff like that?
I really wonder.
Can't deny I 'm very skeptic but then again I sincerily hope we're all gonna be pleasantly surprised by his works in the near future.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Uh, interesting.
He's a weird guy with a lot of misfires in his career but I genuinely liked the Wii version of Rodea so I look forward to his future projects.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Hm he's done a lot of mobile stuff recently, so maybe that's what he is up to at square? So maybe don't get your hopes up for console/ pc quality games.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Really interesting development. He's probably going to be very helpful for Square Enix's aggressive attempts to launch successful GaaS products.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
kingdom_hearts___modern_sonic_world_by_vitor_aizen-dao4dsx.jpg

Heart_Attack

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
He can still make unique games, I loved Ivy the Kiwi and Rodea on the Wii. This is probably a mobile game though.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
Curious to see what he works on, i'd love to see him do another big project after Rodea.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
Square Enix presents...A Yuji Naka game

Zonic the Racoon (& Fists)
DaYS: Unto the Awakening
Sytific Earth Offline

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Let's Tap (I think first Naka's game with his new studio) was wonderful. I think Naka has a potential to do wonderful and imaginative things.

Let's Tap was pretty cool. I always wanted him over at Nintendo to work on funky shit like this. I can only imagine what he'd come up with for the Switch. Ah well.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Hm. Wish he'd have joined a gameplay-focused publisher like Nintendo or even Capcom.

Still, anything is better than modern Sega

Oct 26, 2017
Square Enix doesn't strike me as a great fit for his type of less cinematic and more mechanics oriented game.
I hope to be proven wrong!