• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

First official "news" in forever. Her work with FROM is amazing.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping Bandai finally gives her a full orchestra.

Dark Souls III is great, but it would have been even better if it wasn't almost entirely synth.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I would have been surprised if she wasn"t working on it tbh, she has done such a great job on the previous titles.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
She's my favorite composer in the Soulsborne games, very excited to listen to her work in Elden Eing.

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
Did she write the Fountainhead Palace themes? The best stuff in a From game in recent memory and thats saying a lot.

Vergilius

Apr 10, 2018
She's my favorite composer in gaming. Love her work so much. Glad she's working on Elder Ring.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
People should watch this video to see how she works. They will most likely use same tools and not have an orchestra for the music.

Not that IMDB has the most accurate info regarding upcoming games but Sakuraba is credited for Elden Ring there as an external composer.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1245713/. Makes sense if he is working on it given the relationship with Bandai Namco and Fromsoftware on previous projects.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
The music during the second stage of
the Great Shinobi Owl
fight in Sekiro is one of the best gaming tracks in years. It is totally sublime.
Asakura composed that one (it's not her style at all).

I believe this one is hers:

People should watch this video to see how she works. They will most likely use same tools and not have an orchestra for the music.
Bloodborne was fully orchestrated (because of Sony), and Sekiro used more live instrumentation than their other synth games.

They'll get an orchestra if Bandai will pay for it. Certainly, the teaser music did not sound like their normal synth (it also didn't sound like Kitamura, so she's probably not the only composer working on it—not to say that he won't be working on the game, but it definitely wasn't Sakuraba either).

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
She first worked as a composer for FromSoftware games with Dark Souls 2. And although much of DS2's main soundtrack doesn't get a lot of recognition, it was its DLC tracks that started to garner a lot of love. One of the most praised was Sir Alonne's soundtrack. Still one of the best tracks she has done.

She has been a mainstay with their games ever since and to me plays a tremendous part in setting the tone and atmosphere of FromSoftware's games.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
She first worked as a composer for FromSoftware games with Dark Souls 2. And although much of DS2's main soundtrack doesn't get a lot of recognition, it was its DLC tracks that started to garner a lot of love. One of the most praised was Sir Alonne's soundtrack. Still one of the best tracks she has done.

She has been a mainstay with their games ever since and to me plays a tremendous part in setting the tone and atmosphere of FromSoftware's games.

Say what you will about the base game of Dark Souls 2, but for many many reasons, the DLC zones for that game are some of the best content that From has ever put out. Sunken King still GOAT for me

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Bloodborne was fully orchestrated (because of Sony), and Sekiro used more live instrumentation than their other synth games.

They'll get an orchestra if Bandai will pay for it. Certainly, the teaser music did not sound like their normal synth (it also didn't sound like Kitamura, so she's probably not the only composer working on it).
Yup BB's score was huge. I watched the hour+ long GDC talk about it, expensive and really difficult to make. Ryan Amon, Penka and everyone else involved did a great job on it. I'm not sure Bandai Namco are willing to put the same resources on this. My gut feeling says no, but that doesn't mean I'm not excited for it.

The small snippets we've heard from it sounds great.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

The best of the base game tracks was also created by her:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So I assume the Elden Ring soundtrack will be made up of a barrage of strings and loud-ass choral work. Over and over and over again.

Last edited:

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
She rules so that's good to hear. Even if they can't supply live orchestra, give her an actual choir to use or something :)

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Great news!

But I'll be contrarian here and say the Alonne theme is... kinda overrated? It's really not my favourite of hers. From DS2 alone I prefer Executioner's Chariot and Ruin Sentinels to be honest.

Her work in Dark Souls 3 is top-notch all around, though.

So I assume the Elden Ring soundtrack will be made up of a barrage of strings and loud-ass choral work. Over and over and over again.
lol? Motoi Sakuraba was way more guilty of this than she was... (and I generally like Sakuraba!)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What a way to degrade someones life work.
Great news!

But I'll be contrarian here and say the Alonne theme is... kinda overrated? It's really not my favourite of hers. From DS2 alone I prefer Executioner's Chariot and Ruin Sentinels to be honest.

Her work in Dark Souls 3 is top-notch all around, though.

lol? Motoi Sakuraba was way more guilty of this than she was... (and I generally like Sakuraba!)
I know I'm in a very very small minority, but I have such a problem differentiating between tracks in From's Soulsborne games. At least when it comes to boss themes. Nothing sticks, and they all sound similar to me. At least Sekiro has a somewhat different musical style I guess.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
First time listening to Lady Maria's track and now I'm kicking myself for giving up on Old Hunters. God I hope this game gets a PS5 remaster/patch or a PC release to have an excuse to play it again.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Ebrietas Daughter of the Cosmos is her best track. Fight me.

I really hope they get an orchestra for ER. It made Bloodborne's OST pop so much more than any other From game.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I know I'm in a very very small minority, but I have such a problem differentiating between tracks in From's Soulsborne games. At least when it comes to boss themes. Nothing sticks, and they all sound similar to me. At least Sekiro has a somewhat different musical style I guess.

I'm kinda the same way. I like the songs because of what they add to the fights, but I couldn't pick them out because I'm usually trying not to die when they play, and thus they all kinda sound the same. Still, the DS3 main menu theme is a banger.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
You didn't lie, but Sekiro is the first From game with music I can remember.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I'll be real besides the opening theme of DS3 I didn't really absorb much of the music so not that different from the other Souls games

But then Slave Knight Gael happened and it's the mother of all finale bangers like holy shit. I'm in based on that alone.

Rhodan

Feb 8, 2020
Could not be more excited. Her work on Bloodborne, DS3 and Sekiro was all absolutely stellar and I can't even begin to count how many times over I've listened to those three's soundtracks. Now just to hope for a nice meaty info dump soon.

Matheulbeuk

Dec 16, 2018
I don't know what to think about this choice. On one hand, she wrote the best songs of Dark Souls 3, but Sekiro's music is forgettable and clearly lacks strong melodies and themes.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what to think about this choice. On one hand, she wrote the best songs of Dark Souls 3, but Sekiro's music is forgettable and clearly lacks strong melodies and themes.
Sekiro was an entirely different approach than they normally take. Most of their games don't use ambient music.

I thought it was really successful, even if, as you say, the music doesn't try to come to the front very often. The most important music in the game is the one you create while fighting, since the game relies on that rhythm for its combat.

The music in the final stages always got me pumped, though. It's really good if you just listen to it on its own. (A lot of the game's music is like that, even if it tries to stay in the background while you're playing.)

Yes and No. Strength and Discipline is one of the most intense miniboss themes ive ever heard. Guardian Ape's theme was intense and creepy. (im not sure which tracks she composed)
She composed most of the music in the game. You can usually tell by ear because Asakura's style is just so different (like the Owl track somebody mentioned earlier, where you can contrast her approach in the "father" version and his in the normal version).

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Awesome news. Just today I pre-ordered the Sekiro soundtrack.

716EBSRXD8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I know I'm reaching but, could the fact that she's disclosing this now indicate more Elden Ring news are coming soon? Or is this the first time someone's asked her if she's composing for Elden Ring?