• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
3a28d37c-dbc8-4a29-a635-6a9ba6d3a384.png

After the RyujiNX, there is seemingly another group of developers working on a Switch emulator. It's very early in its development, though strange enough the earliest commit in the Github dates from 2013 (though it's hard to say how fast the pace of development has really been over 5 years).

It's recently been able to boot Cave Story+, among other things.

The Challenge Behind Booting Switch Games
Getting to this point hasn't been easy, and has been a massive reverse-engineering challenge. Led by bunnei and Subv with contributions from ogniK and jroweboy the team slowly chipped away at stopping point after stopping point to finally get us to this milestone. Special thanks to gdkchan and Ryujinx, as without collaboration, this wouldn't have been possible.

Also, huge thanks to Lioncash and MerryMage, who have been tirelessly working on the ARMv8 JIT that yuzu uses! Without it, we'd still be in the dark ages of interpreted CPU emulation.

While yuzu is built on top of Citra's kernel infrastructure, a lot of modification had to be done in order to move things over to the Switch's services. But the main issues all had to do with the Switch's GPU.

Because it's a NVIDIA product, some information was able to be gleamed by sifting through the Nouveau source. Some of the more particularly difficult stopping points were Kernel Synchronization Primitives and Shader Decompilation, but there were many more smaller bumps along the way. On top of that, the rest of the emulator had to be brought up to snuff in order to get games to the point where they would boot.

In the end, this is a small first step toward proper emulation of Nintendo's exciting console/handheld hybrid. None of the games booting are especially stable and emulation is in a very, very early state.
Also interesting that the two projects seem to work together (note bolded).

Kinda fascinating how much interest there seems to be in this. Wonder if it's that portability that makes it such a draw for hobbyists.

INB4: Nintendo is doomed, Emulators are for Piracy, . . .

Last edited:

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, this stuff is moving fast

Edit: didn't think aboit how my post will inevitably start the same old bullshit piracy conversation

Last edited:

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
And wouldn't be able to use an emulator legally without that hardware.

That depends on if it needs a BIOS to be ripped or not. Many emulators do not, so you do not need the hardware to play them, only the games (and access to a system that can rip the games, it doesn't need to be yours imo).

Oh man, this stuff is moving fast. A lot of people still want Nintendo games without the hardware

This is the one system that is sorta the reverse, the hardware is very attractive (as far as portables go), and people want more games on it! Lol.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
That depends on if it needs a BIOS to be ripped or not. Many emulators do not, so you do not need the hardware to play them, only the games (and access to a system that can rip the games, it doesn't need to be yours imo).
Yeah I was talking about the ripping part. Isn't the law about backups implying it must be your hardware?

OP
OP
Mivey

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
This one is from the authors of Citra by the way.
Really? It's always interesting to look at the "genealogy" of emulators, how experienced devs help different projects. Wonder if there are many things (in terms of knowledge) they can use from 3DS emulation for this one. I guess not, since just going by specs the Switch seems rather different.

Yeah I was talking about the ripping part. Isn't the law about backups implying it must be your hardware?
This seems very different between countries. I know here in Austria, you as a consumer have the right to make a private copy for your own personal storage (you are not allowed to give it away, or put it online). I don't think the law really cares how you make your private copy. Of course, since the Switch uses cartridges you pretty need a Switch. However, with disc based games, that wouldn't be strictly necessary (does also require specific drives, though)

Status
Not open for further replies.