• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Via MarketScreener: https://www.marketscreener.com/UBIS...TS-AND-RELEASE-SCHEDULE-FOR-2019-20-29449914/

However, we have not capitalized on the potential of our latest two AAA releases. For Ghost Recon Breakpoint, while the game's quality appeared on track – based on E3, Gamescom, previews and our latest internal playtests –, critical reception and sales during the game's first weeks were very disappointing. As we have done with past titles, we will continue to support the game and listen to the community in order to deliver the necessary improvements.

At this stage, we have identified three main reasons behind this underperformance:
  • First, it is harder to generate interest for a sequel to a Live multiplayer game, when prior iterations benefited from years of optimization. Consequently, we need to make sure there is more time between each iteration of Live games.
  • Second, our strategy of introducing gameplay innovations in our games has had a very positive impact on our brands. However, to win over players, these innovations need to be perfectly implemented in order to offer an optimal experience. This has not yet been sufficiently the case with Ghost Recon Breakpoint. While the change of formula has been very well received by some players, with an average daily playtime per player of over three hours, it also has been strongly rejected by a significant portion of the community.
  • Finally, Ghost Recon Breakpoint did not come in with enough differentiation factors, which prevented the game's intrinsic qualities from standing out.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
giphy.gif

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I'm actually glad, ubisoft can and absolutely should do better. Breakpoint is all the worst ubisoft tropes in one package. Easily their worst big release this gen.
And I loved Wildlands.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
What are sales looking like based on percentages compared to Wildlands? Down 50%? Wildlands sold a ton

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad they're changing things up. Sort of dangerous when you think about how many elements each of their games share. Once you played one, you've played them all in a sense.
Outside of Rainbow Six Siege and AC - I haven't had the slightest inclination to play their games this gen.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
First, it is harder to generate interest for a sequel to a Live multiplayer game, when prior iterations benefited from years of optimization. Consequently, we need to make sure there is more time between each iteration of Live games.

I guess they're finally acknowledging the one big downside to live service games...

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All they need to do to fix it is to charge 99.99 a yearly subscription to it. Things will than work themselves out right??

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The final point he made is basically the issue I sometimes have with Ubisoft. They make far too many games feel the damn same. Nothing made Breakpoint stand out, at least nothing that could not have just been a Wildlands expansion.

Take more time Ubi and make games interesting and unique.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe is for the bugs, same gaas stuff like every game, microtransactions, expensive versions, always online?

Maaaaaaybe

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Seems they are experiencing the same feeling as those who bought it at this point.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
ubisoft needs to stop trying to make every game into the same looter shooter GAAS live mtx crapfest

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On a serious note here. I'm not sure why developers don't do spin offs of games if they are going to change the formula. People who buy COD or BFV or Ghost recon buy them based on previous history / experiences with the games style and mechanics.

It's like they took Mario and turned it into a pinball game but called it super Mario world 2 trying to capitalize on the brand.

I get games should evolve but when you change so much it's a shock to your community

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
everyone in here is saying they are shocked and forgetting almost everyone in the old forum were sure wildlands was gonna be a bomba ;p

but i do think the feel around breakpoint was very different.

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda crazy that wildlands apparently did amazing, and it's sequel did shit.
I always thought it looked generic from the start.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No shit they completely and totally fucked the game. It's unbelievable. All you had to do was make a BETTER Wildlands and they tried to make it an extremely shitty Wildlands raised by The Division.

Jun 23, 2019
Can't say I'm surprised. All of my co-workers have been trying to get me to buy the game for the past week and every time I'm about to, visions of Wildlands and AC: Odyssey and their MTX filled grindfests kills any motivation.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
It's a bad game that sacrifices the integrity of its gameplay mechanics in order to force even more shitty monetization methods down people's throats.
Ultimately it's a bad game, thats very expensive. In a market with tons of games that are way cheaper and way better.

It's like releasing a car that is considerably worse than the average car on the market but costs more and charges an extra fee for things that are usually free like turning on the radio or AC or refueling the tank.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
The dudebro marketing turned me right off. I'm a middle aged white guy, I'd imagine I'm a prime customer of a 'military tactical shooter' game. But here we are.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
To be fair to them, they are a company that learns from it's mistakes. They also do change things up when the market tells them that they have to.

The Unity debacle led to a lot of changes to quality control and the general malaise setting in re: AC made them basically change AC completely in terms of genre. AC Odyssey bears hardly any resemblance to the older games.

So if I'm reading this correctly, they will:

1. Release fewer GAAS games - (If they increase the duration between each release they either have to plug that gap with something else or simply release them further apart. Probably the latter).

2. Spend longer play-testing game play changes

3. Make each game more distinct from it's predecessor.

These are all good things.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I guess they're finally acknowledging the one big downside to live service games...

I guess the positive initial response to The Division 2 obscured this lesson a bit. I don't know what the falloff numbers are, obviously, but my sense from people still playing the game is that there was less keeping people around than the original Division, and that there was still a significant community playing The Division well after the sequel's release for exactly this reason.

everyone in here is saying they are shocked and forgetting almost everyone in the old forum were sure wildlands was gonna be a bomba ;p

but i do think the feel around breakpoint was very different.

That's the thing that I find interesting about this: everyone here thought Wildlands was a nothingburger and then it turned out to be extremely successful. Now we have some people assuming Breakpoint would sell a ton because hey, Wildlands sold a ton, only to find that's not the case. We just might not be very good at judging whether these kinds of games will be successful or not or why.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Actually surprised, it's not like the other's were really polished at release, but still sold a fuck load. I know Breakpoint was another level of shitty. I'm very happy it blew up in their face, hopefully they dial it back the shitty mxt, though I doubt they will, considering what he said.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
They rushed a sequel to one of their surprise biggest hits, turned it into an always online loot shooter and removed core franchise features. Then released it unfinished and packed with microtransactions.

Breakpoint got exactly the reception it deserved every step of the way.

I say this as someone who really likes the game and has already played over a hundred hours.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played about 30 hours and had fun for most of those; never once felt compelled, pushed, or forced to even consider the MTX. I enjoyed it more than Division 2, which got very good reviews.

I can see why it would still be viewed as a grindfest, but merely having a ton of samey content doesn't make me think of actual grindfests that many old RPGs used to be.

Of course anything can be a grind depending who you ask, but I see a big difference between having to run in circles fighting random battles versus clearing out hundreds of locations with things to find on an oversized map (that applies to Odyssey as well).

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
release half finished game, hope people dont realize.

ubisofts been doing this for years now, no surprise here.