• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Man we're just talking about movies casually on a video game forum. Apparently I weigh Romero's stuff like Day and Land in my mind in a way you don't. Whatever, it's not Romero-esque it's uh…. Reminiscent of mid period Romero zombies.There we go. Probably not an academic term you can google but I think that clears things up.
I was backing you up.

She is basically the same in Star Trek Discovery, minus the language.
I was interesting in her casting since I thought Tig in a Snyder film would be interesting, especially if she was replacing a character played by Chris D'Elia. She'd have to play something completely out of her wheelhouse. Well, the dialogue 100% match something D'Elia would play but she played it in her usual Tig way, which did not work at all.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I feel bad criticising Snyder, because he seems like a very nice, earnest guy. But he's also clearly not a deep thinker, and he doesn't deal in nuance. He makes films like my children do make-believe play, bouncing from one wild idea to the next, with zero cohesion and likely not even a second (let alone a third or fourth) thought given to whether a concept such as robot zombies is good or bad.

I do still kind of admire him, even though I've only ever liked one of his films (Dawn Of The Dead). In a world where you're normally pigeonholed as either an auteur or a big corporate film-maker, Snyder straddles a weird middle ground where he seemingly gets to call all the shots without much in the way of studio intervention, without anything like the restraint and vision of an auteur director... but at the same time he sparks big-budget discussion and gets bid-budget attention, and his films are at least more experimental and distinctive than the morass of content that, say, the MCU puts out.

I might not like Zack Snyder movies, but I can spot them a mile off. And there aren't that many people you can say that about - let alone many who've achieved that status seemingly without really knowing much about how to make a film in the first place.
This is a very much how I feel about the guy, although I like more of his movies than you do. He still makes films *about* things (unlike say, Paul W.S. Anderson who, hell I've gone to bat for on occasions and would again) but nuance? Subtext? Never. Themes? Sure!

But anyone who thinks (or expects) that he's going to put stuff in his film for any other reason than 'Robot zombies? Cool!' should probably know to steer clear of his films by now.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Watched the last third. It was fine. Overall the last third upgraded it from a 4 to a 5 out of 10

I still feel robbed after the trailer, and all the best bits ended up being just a quick montage at the start. The actual movie had felt like a throwaway sequel to this imaginary, original, good movie referenced in the montage. Weird.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
Man we're just talking about movies casually on a video game forum. Apparently I weigh Romero's stuff like Day and Land in my mind in a way you don't. Whatever, it's not Romero-esque it's uh…. Reminiscent of mid period Romero zombies.There we go. Probably not an academic term you can google but I think that clears things up.

it's a message board...people are going to be insufferably dense to get over a point they want to take issue with...anyone with half a brain can see the point you're making...I mean, so long as it's half a zombie brain in a Romero-esque sense...oh shit, now I've done it

Oct 27, 2017
That was shit.

I mean it was sort of fun for the most part but so much of it just makes no sense it spoils the ride. There are a million plot holes and idiotic contrivances and "Why didn't they just do X?" moments. Tonally it was a bit all over the place, the script was stupid, it's riddled with tropes and trite emotional moments that never land, it's overly long, etc etc.

Also the DoF effect was aggressively overused.

And where the fuck is Gita. And Dieter. And Coyote had the worst 'plan' in the world. And Burt Chance got his face eaten off so that's sad.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
that was alright

the writing was pretty awful for the most part but I got some enjoyment out of that one

it was pretty hype when Bautista equipped the drum clip for his gun lol (speaking of him I thought he was okay considering how bad the script is)

I like the actress but good god the daughter character was bad. Ultimately this movie just felt like it was in development hell for a long time.

Last edited:

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of the worst parts was the Zombies, parkour and as someone else said, CATS or similar coming to a theatre near you.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I do still kind of admire him, even though I've only ever liked one of his films (Dawn Of The Dead). In a world where you're normally pigeonholed as either an auteur or a big corporate film-maker, Snyder straddles a weird middle ground where he seemingly gets to call all the shots without much in the way of studio intervention, without anything like the restraint and vision of an auteur director... but at the same time he sparks big-budget discussion and gets bid-budget attention, and his films are at least more experimental and distinctive than the morass of content that, say, the MCU puts out.

I might not like Zack Snyder movies, but I can spot them a mile off. And there aren't that many people you can say that about - let alone many who've achieved that status seemingly without really knowing much about how to make a film in the first place.
Yeah, this is true. Snyder is IMO the perfect 'vulgar author'. His movies are generally bad-to-terrible, but they are always unmistakenly his and while his ideas almost never work out, he's always got these absolutely bonkers ideas in his movies visually and thematically that nobody else would ever think of including in a film. For example, I fucking despise Sucker Punch, but I would definitely say it's a one of a kind movie that's Zack Snyder through and through and literally nobody else would've made a movie like that.

Even his superhero movies are these bizarre epics that try to go way too big for what is needed or even wanted. I'd say the only movies of his that don't do this are Dawn of the Dead (considering it's his first movie) and Legend of the Guardians (because it's an animated kids movie and Snyder's most bonkers ideas usually fall on the R-rated side of the spectrum). Though even Legend of the Guardians has some absolutely insane scenes and ideas behind it.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that I 'kind of admire him', though. I am kinda impressed, however, by his ability to keep scoring big movies, despite his movies generally being despised by critics and occassionally audiences. I mean, he followed up the massive commercial and critical flop called Sucker Punch by getting the reigns of DC's new cinematic universe. How the fuck does that happen?

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
This movie started off good but ended up being the same old shit.
They all went in there and died for nothing, bunch of idiots. As usual the brat was the sole survivor which is a trope I hate.
Very overhyped and I can't believe how such average movies like this and 'Nobody' get such great reviews. I love Bautista so he kept me entertained and the stuff with Tig Notaro being edited in after initial shooting was a complete surprise to me as it felt very seamless.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, this is true. Snyder is IMO the perfect 'vulgar author'. His movies are generally bad-to-terrible, but they are always unmistakenly his and while his ideas almost never work out, he's always got these absolutely bonkers ideas in his movies visually and thematically that nobody else would ever think of including in a film. For example, I fucking despise Sucker Punch, but I would definitely say it's a one of a kind movie that's Zack Snyder through and through and literally nobody else would've made a movie like that.

Even his superhero movies are these bizarre epics that try to go way too big for what is needed or even wanted. I'd say the only movies of his that don't do this are Dawn of the Dead (considering it's his first movie) and Legend of the Guardians (because it's an animated kids movie and Snyder's most bonkers ideas usually fall on the R-rated side of the spectrum). Though even Legend of the Guardians has some absolutely insane scenes and ideas behind it.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that I 'kind of admire him', though. I am kinda impressed, however, by his ability to keep scoring big movies, despite his movies generally being despised by critics and occassionally audiences. I mean, he followed up the massive commercial and critical flop called Sucker Punch by getting the reigns of DC's new cinematic universe. How the fuck does that happen?

I think nobody fancied Man of Steel or at least in the short time frame wanted and as you say he does have ideas that can impress, Nolan recommended him maybe. Think Man of Steel performed fine and he does things on time and on budget with mad work effort. Sort of makes sense they gave him the keys.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Someone said it earlier in thread and I fully concur: super zombies never work. I don't think they've ever made a film better. Either have hordes of slow zombies and the tension comes from the sheer number of them, or have fast zombies which are a lot more frightening and intense but can still be downed by bullets or headshots.
Has anyone ever done a Martial Arts Zombie movie? There was one scene I was like wtf 😂.

Mar 29, 2018
I went in with zero expectations and kind of enjoyed it. The movie is a dumb as a bag of bricks, but I never felt like it pretended to not be exactly that.
It's definitely one of Snyde's better movies which is saying something, but the problem isn't that it's dumb - dumb is fine if it's fun dumb. The problem here is that over half of the movie is not fun dumb. It's boring dumb. After the initial montage, there's a solid 40 minutes of just poorly written dialogue between limp characters before we actually get to Vegas. The pacing is just so bad - even though there are definitely fun elements and fun parts.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Expected more from the trailer but it was okay. Still a tiny bit disappointed.

Also don't tell me any sane government wouldn't instantly carpet bomb/nuke this place zo rubble since you never know if some zombie isn't going to climb or crawl under some tunnel/rubble and reinfect large parts of the population again.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
This RLM review, the dead pixel on the camera. My god 😆
HOOOOLLLYY SHIT, don't tell me the Pixels are from the movie. I thought my kid fucked it up since it threw pens on my Q70R. Even used a dead Pixel repair vid on YouTube although i was wondering why they weren't consistent.

Wtttffffffff

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
HOOOOLLLYY SHIT, don't tell me the Pixel are from the movie. I thought my kid fucked it up since it threw pens on my Q70R. Even used a dead Pixel repair vid on YouTube although i was wondering why they weren't consistent.

Wtttffffffff

lol there was even an OT thread about someone freaking out about it

www.resetera.com

Seeing hot pixels on my Sony X900E (backlit LED) when watching HDR content via Netflix app on XSX

For the last few months I have noticed this on varying Netflix HDR content. A few key aspects: I had not witnessed this last year's content. Not noticed in games in HDR. The hot pixels tend change position and in number from one cut to another and disappear in other shots (saw this happen while...

Dork Knight

Feb 20, 2018
After finishing the film (and thinking back about how boring it was), I came up with a premise that would have made it waaaaaay more interesting:
  • Ocean's 11 meets Dawn of the Dead
Instead of trying to steal money AFTER the outbreak, wouldn't it be more fun (and crazy) if they were stealing the money while the outbreak STARTED? Basically, they're in the vault, completely oblivious to everything, go up to escape, only to find zombies running (shambling?) amok. And the rest of the movie is them trying to escape, and in doing so, they realize there's something more valuable than the money they're trying to steal: THEIR LIVES. OMGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!

This way you get all the wacky, fun, and weird moments from the early montage at the beginning, but for the whole movie. And you cut out all the boring, dull, and meaningless alpha zombie crap that made this movie a total slog.

OK, so it ain't perfect, but I thought of this in a few minutes. Hasn't Synder been working on this for YEARS? Yikes.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
In my head, I picture him going into the studio and just bouncing off the walls, like a bundle of pure childlike enthusiasm, and throwing ideas at them until they relented. I've never met the man, but based on his films I think it's fair to say he probably brings a lot of (highly dubious) energy to his pitches.

That's the only explanation I can think of for how he keeps landing such high-profile work.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
I was entertained. But I like some of the negative exaggeration in this thread or movie in general.

However I too think that the story would have been a blast if they would have went down that time loop route. When he explained his theory in the movie that made me really really curious.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, agree the opening scenes and montage was basically the best part of the film, the rest felt unfortunately very generic whilst still fun enough to keep the attention. Just feels disappointing because of the potential to do something way more interesting.

Presume it has been mentioned, but wasn't a huge fan of the weird intelligence/sentience of the zombies either. Fine with them being fast/smart even, but it was much more than that. Just complicates matters without any addressing of it. I understand there are sequel/prequels in mind, so maybe it's to give them more to work with there.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
HOOOOLLLYY SHIT, don't tell me the Pixels are from the movie. I thought my kid fucked it up since it threw pens on my Q70R. Even used a dead Pixel repair vid on YouTube although i was wondering why they weren't consistent.

Wtttffffffff
Snyder bought film lenses on eBay and some were broken it seems lol

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
The depth of field effect in EVERY SINGLE FRAME was so distracting, I stopped watching 10m in. Came back to it later and idly scrubbed until the end. Cheap looking trash. Would not recommend.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
This started bad, then got legitimately good with concerns. And then it was terrible and a dumpster fire. I felt angry at how bad everything is resolved after actually getting invested in some of the characters. Waste of 2 hours of my life.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Screenshot-20210526-133629-368.png

Nice.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
After finishing the film (and thinking back about how boring it was), I came up with a premise that would have made it waaaaaay more interesting:
  • Ocean's 11 meets Dawn of the Dead
Instead of trying to steal money AFTER the outbreak, wouldn't it be more fun (and crazy) if they were stealing the money while the outbreak STARTED? Basically, they're in the vault, completely oblivious to everything, go up to escape, only to find zombies running (shambling?) amok. And the rest of the movie is them trying to escape, and in doing so, they realize there's something more valuable than the money they're trying to steal: THEIR LIVES. OMGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!

This way you get all the wacky, fun, and weird moments from the early montage at the beginning, but for the whole movie. And you cut out all the boring, dull, and meaningless alpha zombie crap that made this movie a total slog.

OK, so it ain't perfect, but I thought of this in a few minutes. Hasn't Synder been working on this for YEARS? Yikes.

I guess that would be 'better', but the underlying stupidity behind the heist plot is that half a dozen people( or whatever the number was) physically cannot move literal tons of cash. Everyone was written dumb so of course nobody in- movie questions the logistics behind the plan. Having the team go after the Zombie King/Queen head would have just made infinitely more sense for the main baddie, because you'd have multiple people going after what you really wanted instead of a wild goose chase, but Zack tried to make the film deeper than it needed to be introducing a 'this is the REAL plan' swerve with a character that everyone in the film and the viewer knew was suspect. Cue the Patrick Stewart 'mild shock' gif on that one.

They could have made the movie 90 minutes of what we got in the opening montage, which almost feels like an entirely different movie, and it would have been much better IMO. Even the Vegas backdrop didn't serve the narrative in any meaningful way, you could have put the events of this film anywhere.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Props to the vfx and make up crew though, some great work on those destroyed Las Vegas and creatures effects.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
bloody-disgusting.com

“I Know Exactly Where the Story Goes”: Zack Snyder Hopes to Make an ‘Army of the Dead’ Sequel

This article contains Army of the Dead spoilers. Zack Snyder never did get a chance to make a sequel to his remake of George Romero’s Dawn of the Dead, but his return to zombie world with the new Netflix movie Army of the Dead is going to afford him the opportunity to create a whole […]
"We're in the middle of making an animated prequel, that is adult animation. It dives into the zombie origins, and we get a sense of what's going on there," Snyder explains. "And then Matthias has shot already, and we're in the process of completing, his prequel. Dieter's story… sort of a romantic comedy heist film. It tells where he was before Scott and crew find him."

He continues, "And look… if there was ever a desire for more Army of the Dead, Shay [Hatten] and I know exactly where the story goes. So yeah. We're ready."

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
This was a pretty fun movie, if you don't go in taking it seriously.

Also did anyone see the dead pixels (2 of them) I fucking shit myself as was watching my OLED 65 inch. And they cleared up later, were they IN the movie?

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
bloody-disgusting.com

“I Know Exactly Where the Story Goes”: Zack Snyder Hopes to Make an ‘Army of the Dead’ Sequel

This article contains Army of the Dead spoilers. Zack Snyder never did get a chance to make a sequel to his remake of George Romero’s Dawn of the Dead, but his return to zombie world with the new Netflix movie Army of the Dead is going to afford him the opportunity to create a whole […]

A sequel?!? Fuck this. Still just upset at how bad this was despite not having any expectations. The Kate character is horrible and I'm so tired of seeing this trope; selfish/entitled brat comes along on adventure, is a giant pain, doesn't follow advice/instructions, gets everyone or most of group dead through stupidity/arrogance, and then ends up being the sole survivor.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OMG, I'm so glad I watched the Red Letter Media review, as I was depressed and going crazy last night thinking my new TV had dead pixels. Inexcusable for them to release the film with that defect.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
IT was bad.... like really bad....0 likeable character, they are all stupid, make stupid decision, nothing make any sense in this world... it was a waste of time. I cannot believe that RT pourcentage, this is bullshit.

This pretty much sums up everything:

I'm still confused by the
robot zombies

nailed it. wow that movie is so badly writen...

Last edited:

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
A sequel?!? Fuck this. Still just upset at how bad this was despite not having any expectations. The Kate character is horrible and I'm so tired of seeing this trope; selfish/entitled brat comes along on adventure, is a giant pain, doesn't follow advice/instructions, gets everyone or most of group dead through stupidity/arrogance, and then ends up being the sole survivor.

That's what I found so deeply unsatisfying about the conclusion. The daughter didn't deserve to make it out, considering she was directly responsible for the last few deaths. The kind of people you're actually rooting for, like Chambers, were unceremoniously offed early on.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
And where the fuck is Gita. And Dieter. And Coyote had the worst 'plan' in the world. And Burt Chance got his face eaten off so that's sad.
Wait, people think Dieter is still alive? We have Vanderohe not get bitten and shoved in a vault and closed by Dieter as he is being attacked by the Alpha Crow. Then a nuke goes off and Vanderohe was magically bitten. Dieter died from the Alpha attack and would've died from the nuke.

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's movie logic and all, but the idea that they'd go in without walkies, and all wearing basic ass sleeveless shirts, annoyed me so much. Like, bare minimum wear some tough long sleeve clothes to protect yourself. It would show a tiny bit of intelligence to the viewer, and force the writers to get creative when the humans die. The safe cracking dude is just wearing the same outfit I did walking to high school

Yeah, this was really annoying too. Especially that Bautista let his daughter come in wearing a t-shirt with no combat training and armed with just a pistol. As a couple of other people have mentioned, letting the wilful or stroppy child go into a really dangerous place is a trope I hate.

Flashback to when the social media embargo lifted:

CanineFatherlyHalibut-size_restricted.gif

It feels like critics have been oddly kind to this film. Even MovieBob , who I was expecting to hate it, kind of quickly glosses over its obvious pacing and dialogue issues and gave it 7/10.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Yeah, this was really annoying too. Especially that Bautista let his daughter come in wearing a t-shirt with no combat training and armed with just a pistol. As a couple of other people have mentioned, letting the wilful or stroppy child go into a really dangerous place is a trope I hate.

It feels like critics have been oddly kind to this film. Even MovieBob , who I was expecting to hate it, kind of quickly glosses over its obvious pacing and dialogue issues and gave it 7/10.

The lack of mention of dead pixels and out of focus shots in many of the RT reviews reminds me of video game reviews where the reviewers fail to mention horrendous FPS or game-breaking bugs lol.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Yeah the generally good reviews of this movie completely baffle me. There was very little to like IMO, and there was so much of it.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I've gone and read some of the reviews and it is bewildering. I recently read A.A. Dowd's review and it seems impossible to reconcile what he says with what was on screen:
  • "This is a new kind of Snyder cut: fleet and almost breezy, even at a characteristically extended 2 1/2 hours."
  • "This is a long movie, but it doesn't feel long. It moves"
  • "It's almost always striking. Occasionally, it achieves a Grand Guignol grandeur"
  • "But the stacked cast (led by Bautista, that slab of empathetic strong-man sensitivity) underscores the uncommon humanity of the material this time around. The personalities may be shopworn, but they're personalities all the same, funny and engaging."
  • "That the film doesn't belabor or over-stress its political conscience is vintage Romero, in the best sense."

What film was he watching?

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I tried to watch this in the background while I was cleaning/making dinner and it was even disappointing as white noise...

that RLM review was pretty choice though - I missed the dead pixels, personally :-D LoL