• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland

Oh fucking boy, there's a lot to unpack here. Let's just get the 6 worst words to form a sentence out of the way first.
  • All "Child" bedtime event cutscenes removed
This and three other things (The packaging needing to be toned down over sexual content has also happened with games that don't involve characters that look like children being sexualized. Thankfully.) with similar descriptions, according to Spike Chunsoft. Were removed to "reduce content which could be interpreted as sexualization of characters depicted as minors," But that doesn't excuse the fact it shouldn't have been in the game in the first place.

But it gets worse! This isn't even the first time the Dangan Ronpa devs have released a game with pedo content!
Danganronpa_AnotherEpisode_Cover.jpg

Another Fucking Episode, which is conveniently nearing it's 5th birthday. Featured an entire segment devoted to a character that's an actual fucking child (For real, they don't even use the "she's really 100 years old!" excuse) molesting someone, which was intentionally played for fanservice! The fucking fight ends with the child's clothes getting sliced off too!

and that's not even the end of it. one child forcibly kissing another, someone calling a pedophile "cute" for admitting they are one.
tumblr_nuai37awX21qhhv13o1_1280.jpg

("Fun" Fact: the girl trying to call her out? She is the one that slices the childs clothes off!)
The game is a fucking mess, yet i've seen so many people in the DR fandom defend it, claiming that the game is actually "against" child abuse.
Mind you, they've sold merch playing off that molestation scene as a cutesy character trait.
5XAztNi.png

and even the official western Spike Chunsoft Twitter (I wanted to avoid posting images of the scene for obvious reasons, but it's clear that an exception needs to be made in this case.) joked about it a few years ago!

The worst part, for me at least. Was that i always thought it was Kazutaka Kodaka's fault for including the scenes in there, and that him leaving would mean that this shit would never happen again. But nope! They never fucking learned!

By the way, did you know that Kodaka is collaborating with Kotaro Uchikoshi (Zero Escape, the upcoming AI: The Somnium Files. Which is his last project at Spike Chunsoft.) to make another game about children?
Deathmatch-Club-Init_10-03-18.jpg

There's no mention of the elements that made AE so awful being in the game yet, but i do not even remotely trust them.

I've talked about my really rough history with Dangan Ronpa on here, how AE completely fucked me up when it first launched after getting initially hyped for it, how i gained a genuine romantic attachment to Kiibo, Miu, and Ouma. (Which is exactly the same thing that happened with AE and Komaru!) But here we are, it's all happening again. The DR devs made more pedo shit, i've lost all of my attachment to those three characters, and the only difference is that i'm no longer a 15 year old kid who was previously hating the franchise for petty reasons.

I'm fucking tired. Don't be surprised if i just completely duck out of the internet for a few weeks. The THQ Nordic incident (Who has a company i previously highly respected before that thanks to their game preservation work.) was bad enough, but this makes that whole incident look like a joke!

Oh, and don't even start with the "Why is violence okay but sexualized children isn't!!!!" bullshit. You know who you fucking are, and you fucking know you're a pedophile for finding that shit arousing.

Edit: I almost forgot, here's proof that Zanki Zero is being marketed as being by the same team that made Dangan Ronpa.
From producer Yoshinori Terasawa and game designer Takayuki Sugawara, the creators of the Danganronpa series, comes a new kind of survival game, Zanki Zero: Last Beginning.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Calling it a Dangan team game was kind of misleading on Spike's part in the first place. It's almost no creative members and a completely different studio doing the grunt work.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Did not get a chance to play Ultra Despair Girls but this is much, much worse than the thing regarding one of the characters in DR1 (which is the only one that I have played out of the series.)

whew chile

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I don't think this game is actually made by any of the Danganronpa devs, just the producer is the same or something.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to say "in before the cries of 'censorship'" from creepy people in the Twitter comments, but I see I'm incredibly late on that one.

Oct 25, 2017
The tweet feels like almost an apology to have to remove this content just to be able to localize it and not...because it's bad.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
That dialogue exchange you posted is pretty blatantly saying the behavior is bad. It's an edgy joke, but you'd have to have no sense of humor at all to read it as a co-sign.

Oct 27, 2017
I hate censorship quite a bit but yeah, this just sounds...extra gross. The swimsuit DLC is included though, that should help the pervs out.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Twitter comments are about what you'd expect. Lmao someone trying to pull the "oh but shirtless men are still in the game!" Yep, shirtless men are 1:1 with underaged girl's panties.

closer013

Oct 27, 2017
Glad they removed the pervy content for when the clones are in their child stage, it didn't need to be there in the first place. Looking forward to playing it!

I love me some pervy content but gross ass deviants can take their loli shit and shove it up their asses.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with most of the changes, though I can't really tell a difference between the English and Japanese box art so I don't get what changed.

What does "Child bedtime scenes" even mean? It's so vague that my first thought was tucking a child into bed for the night, which I assume it isn't due to the removal of it.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm about to wince hard enough to shatter all of my teeth

P.S. That Ultra Despair Girls scene I took to be fanservicey to irk people out (the entire series is about teenagers being forced to murder each other, so I think gratuitous violence and the like can be expected), but I won't waste breath trying to claim it's justified because people have every right to find these things extremely disgusting

Buddha0991

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to wince hard enough to shatter all of my teeth

P.S. That Ultra Despair Girls scene I took to be fanservicey to irk people out (the entire series is about teenagers being forced to murder each other, so I think gratuitous violence and the like can be expected), but I won't waste breath trying to claim it's justified because people have every right to find these things extremely disgusting

I feel like they tried to be well intentioned and condemn that stuff in UDG but they did it in a very messy and plain messed up way. I really like UDG but I always warn people about that certian stuff whenever people ask me about that game.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Honestly, they could've taken out all of the Bedtime scenes (I'm assuming there are the Adult aged ones too), since I've never liked them in any game they're in, so this is the farthest thing from loss imo.

I'm interested in the Game Balance/Ui Improvements, myself.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like they tried to be well intentioned and condemn that stuff in UDG but they did it in a very messy and plain messed up way. I really like UDG but I always warn people about that certian stuff whenever people ask me about that game.
It definitely deserves a warning.

As I recall
the girl who's perpetuating it is revealed (somewhat indirectly?) to be a sexual abuse victim herself, so it's perhaps possible to interpret the entire thing as the game highlighting the grotesqueness of the situation. if you wanted to read really charitably into it you could argue that the game is making the point that this sort of undercurrent exists in all similar shoehorned fanservice, but again, none of that is a valid counterpoint against people interpreting the scene as out-and-out fanservice.

I've not been following Zanki Zero. Disappointing to hear this shit's in it.

As for the new game Kodaka and Uchikoshi are creating, I'm not sure I want a "death game" featuring elementary schoolers in the first place

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
Um...I've almost beaten this game and I don't recall anything resembling "bedtime events" or pedophilia. They're not referring to the word bubbles that pop up at the dorm in between days right? Cause that had no sexual content as far as I could tell.

Can you all tell me what exactly you're outraged about?

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah can't really blame the localization team here, it is the devs' fault to begin with for putting such things in the game.

Dec 28, 2018
Well fuck me sideways this was the only game I was looking forward to in April. Good on them for removing that stuff but I feel like it'll be hard for me to want to buy the game now knowing it had some sketchy pedo stuff in it. God damn it man I was so hyped for this game.

OP
OP
Krvavi Abadas

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
Um...I've almost beaten this game and I don't recall anything resembling "bedtime events" or pedophilia. They're not referring to the word bubbles that pop up at the dorm in between days right? Cause that had no sexual content as far as I could tell.

Can you all tell me what exactly you're outraged about?

The way it's described leads me to believe that it's all optional scenes that you can ignore without realizing they're in there, if we're going to be charitable about it.

But that doesn't excuse the content in Another Episode, all of which you're required to go through to progress.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry just to clarify, your title says that the western localisation added the content but then your OP seems to say that it was in the original games? Was your post title actually meant to be

"Zanki Zero (Dangan Ronpa devs) removing awful pedo content, that shouldn't have been added in the first place, from the western localization."

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So we don't actually know what these "bedtime events" are?

Like the underage panty shots, I fully understand removing those. Yuck.

But it seems like people actually don't know what these "bedtime events" actually are. The phasing is vague and OP doesn't really explain what they are either.

Buddha0991

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely deserves a warning.

As I recall
the girl who's perpetuating it is revealed (somewhat indirectly?) to be a sexual abuse victim herself, so it's perhaps possible to interpret the entire thing as the game highlighting the grotesqueness of the situation. if you wanted to read really charitably into it you could argue that the game is making the point that this sort of undercurrent exists in all similar shoehorned fanservice, but again, none of that is a valid counterpoint against people interpreting the scene as out-and-out fanservice.

I've not been following Zanki Zero. Disappointing to hear this shit's in it.

As for the new game Kodaka and Uchikoshi are creating, I'm not sure I want a "death game" featuring elementary schoolers in the first place

Yeah, UDG portrays each of the Warriors of Hope as broken emotionally damaged children each with parents who are vile evil monsters and frames them as sympathetic. If I recall correctly, I think its spelt out for you what happened to Kotoko, not really hidden. I just wish they didnt do...well...what they did. It seems like the game is attempting to make you feel very uncomfortable on purpose there, but at the same time we know there is a market for that kind of crap so it just feels weird and shouldn't be there. I still overall felt like Kotoko and her plight was sympathetic and I like her character but boy did they not do stuff involving her in the best way they could have. Also, that Haiji "I like them as young as possible" thing came so out of left field and is never referenced again before or after it happen and has zero bearing on his character, I have no idea why its there, or why its played for jokes. That is just...why. I hope that new game isnt going to go for similar stuff.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017

But it seems like people actually don't know what these "bedtime events" actually are. The phasing is vague and OP doesn't really explain what they are either.
oDUYhmp.png

And what the hell is a "child bedtime event"?
I saw one of the CGs posted on Twitter, it looked like one of the characters talking to one of the others and you could see their panties. The gimmick about the game is that the characters are all clones and they age up and are reborn every 24 hours.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017

I'd assume it's something like what Sword Art Online games had?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr2A3S3f9Hk
Basically just a CG of the character lying in bed (probably provocatively, because the people who make these games can't help themselves).

Really weird this game's been out for a while and no one ever mentioned this, or has like a screenshot or video.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I think I've seen some CGs for those events. They look... awful...

I don't have the full context here, but why would anyone be mad it got removed if the scene is just pedo stuff with no hint of relevance to anything? At least in UDG it made sense because it was integral to the themes and story of the game and it wasn't portrayed in a good light (most of the time).

Deleted member 48828

Banned
Oct 21, 2018
I saw one of the CGs posted on Twitter, it looked like one of the characters talking to one of the others and you could see their panties. The gimmick about the game is that the characters are all clones and they age up and are reborn every 24 hours.
Do you have a link for it?
I'd assume it's something like what Sword Art Online games had?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr2A3S3f9Hk
Basically just a CG of the character lying in bed (probably provocatively, because the people who make these games can't help themselves).

Really weird this game's been out for a while and no one ever mentioned this.
There's a lot of optional scenes that require certain characters to be certain ages and what not, so I guess it could be missable content?

OP
OP
Krvavi Abadas

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
I'm sorry just to clarify, your title says that the western localisation added the content but then your OP seems to say that it was in the original games? Was your post title actually meant to be

"Zanki Zero (Dangan Ronpa devs) removing awful pedo content, that shouldn't have been added in the first place, from the western localization."

Yeah, this shit is exhausting. So i didn't really notice the error. I'll fix it real quick.

Detailed explanation of the content in question.
Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
UDG is pretty garbage but just FYI this game is actually by Lancarse and the only staff overlaps with DR are like, the DR producer and DR gameplay designer iirc.

So like, not a spoiler, but a core part of the premise of the game is that the characters are clones that rapidly age from young childhood to an elderly age and die (within two weeks iirc). Afterwards, you revive them as children again and the cycle repeats. Narratively, they retain their memories throughout this process, which they will experience many, many times through the course of the story. It's a pretty neat premise imo. In terms of gameplay, characters grow more powerful but slow down as they age, and once they die you get to carry certain things forward. All cool so far.

A secondary system, if I remember right, is the bond system ("kizuna" is the Japanese word, so I think bond is appropriate). The characters can grow close to each other over the course of the game and eventually sleep with each other. Surprisingly, you can also have characters sleep with characters of either gender, and pair them up in any combination with each other. It's a pretty big side thing in the game, and there's tons of unique dialogue and CGs. It's been a while since I watched the footage and some of this information comes from Japanese forum posts that I read at the time as well, so please, big grain of salt on this next part. It is at very least implied (perhaps outright stated but my Japanese isnt great) that some character pairings have sex with each other during these events, but never the children (this does not make their portrayal like this okay in my opinion, just relaying what I've heard/seen). The art with the kids in these scenes is very, very creepy looking as the characters are still acting, well, in character (Will absolutely not post it, feel free to search for the kizuna scenes. They've been online for a long time so search away.) and anyone who saw footage ahead of time could have seen this change coming a million miles away. I very much appreciate that every character can sleep with every other character (male or female), and there are some interesting character dynamics in there, but I do think it was insanely gauche of them to even have a go at portraying the kids the way they did (the "but they still have their memories" handwave obviously improves nothing despite their narrative intent). The characters are also portrayed like this in their elderly state, and there is a narrative that runs throughout involving social taboos and such, so they really went whole hog. Like way, way too whole hog.

To be 1000000% clear so nobody takes me as defending this; I absolutely do not think they should have portrayed the kids the way they did in the bond scenes. They are far from fully clothed and I'm surprised they went as far as they did. The art is skeevy as hell. Maybe just don't sexualize children. Wild thought, I know.

Last edited:

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have the full context here, but why would anyone be mad it got removed if the scene is just pedo stuff with no hint of relevance to anything? At least in UDG it made sense because it was integral to the themes and story of the game and it wasn't portrayed in a good light (most of the time).

Because the constant sexualization of characters (especially minors) that serves no purpose in regards to the story and sometimes even blatantly goes against established characterization or is shoehorned into the game/show/whatever in pretty blatant ways is ULTIMATE ARTISTIC FREEDOM and not basic-ass by the number pandering, and if you dare remove it regardless of how pointless it is then we'll be on a slippery slope where someday something you love will be ripped out of your hands and cut with scissors by the awful SJW Censornazis. Or something.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think I've seen some CGs for those events. They look... awful...

because people understand freedom of speech as condoning the "saying" of anything solely by virtue of being spoken (freely), and hence exercising "free" speech.

Basically "if I am free to do something I should be able to hurt others with that something otherwise I'm not free"

Deleted member 48828

Banned
Oct 21, 2018
UDG is pretty garbage but just FYI this game is actually by Lancarse and the only staff overlaps with DR are like, the DR producer and DR gameplay designer iirc.

So like, not a spoiler, but a core part of the premise of the game is that the characters are clones that rapidly age from young childhood to an elderly age and die (within two weeks iirc). Afterwards, you revive them as children again and the cycle repeats. Narratively, they retain their memories throughout this process, which they will experience many, many times through the course of the story. It's a pretty neat premise imo. In terms of gameplay, characters grow more powerful but slow down as they age, and once they die you get to carry certain things forward. All cool so far.

A secondary system, if I remember right, is the bond system ("kizuna" is the Japanese word, so I think bond is appropriate). The characters can grow close to each other over the course of the game and eventually sleep with each other. Surprisingly, you can also have characters sleep with characters of either gender, and pair them up in any combination with each other. It's a pretty big side thing in the game, and there's tons of unique dialogue and CGs. It's been a while since I watched the footage and some of this information comes from Japanese forum posts that I read at the time as well, so please, big grain of salt on this next part. It is at very least implied (perhaps outright stated but my Japanese isnt great) that some character pairings have sex with each other during these events, but never the children (this does not make their portrayal like this okay in my opinion, just relaying what I've heard/seen). The art with the kids in these scenes is very, very creepy looking as the characters are still acting, well, in character (Will absolutely not post it, feel free to search for the kizuna scenes. They've been online for a long time so search away.) and anyone who saw footage ahead of time could have seen this change coming a million miles away. I very much appreciate that every character can sleep with every other character (male or female), and there are some interesting character dynamics in there, but I do think it was insanely gauche of them to even have a go at portraying the kids the way they did (the "but they still have their memories" handwave obviously improves nothing despite their narrative intent). The characters are also portrayed like this in their elderly state, and there is a narrative that runs throughout involving social taboos and such, so they really went whole hog. Like way, way too whole hog.

To be 1000000% clear so nobody takes me as defending this; I absolutely do not think they should have portrayed the kids the way they did in the bond scenes. They are far from fully clothed and I'm surprised they went as far as they did. Maybe don't sexualize children. Wild thought.

OK wow...I just saw what you're talking about and wow.

I completely understand why they took that out. That was really uncomfortable to discover.

I mean, taboos are a theme, but there's a line you don't cross when it comes to sexualizing bodies of children and that crosses it. I'm glad it's getting cut out.

Oct 26, 2017
Those twitter comments are about as expected. People equating shirtless men to seeing a child's underwear, people thinking this is some slippery slope that will end in your mail being checked and the usual "but what about violence?????". You know, just normal everyday things you'd think about when you hear that you can't see a sexual depiction of a child, whether they're real or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.