• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i've only played like 20 hours but the game is amazing, all this success is well deserved. congrats to everyone involved.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think this is 100% accurate. It definitely didn't surpass N64+3DS Ocarina of Time, and I have serious doubt of it surpassing Twilight Princess Wii+GC+WiiU, which should in fact be around 10m, and that not taking Nvidia Shield into account.
It's talking about the original release and it's true.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this is 100% accurate. It definitely didn't surpass N64+3DS Ocarina of Time, and I have serious doubt of it surpassing Twilight Princess Wii+GC+WiiU, which should in fact be around 10m, and that not taking Nvidia Shield into account.
considering the game will continue sell for a long time, it will definitely pass those.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, Zelda still got it. And it will keep selling for years. Wonder what the ceiling for its sales will be, 15 million?

Last edited:

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
The question was: "Are there any other franchises out there that should end, or even sell themselves as being an end with the upcoming entry?"

They talked about Rockband and how run it's course, and then she mentioned Zelda as one of the franchises that should die with the latest entry (Breath of the Wild). These sales prove that there is nothing more stupid than doing that..
I'm not sure if you intentionally cut off the video right where the important context would be, but you're still not fairly representing her words anyway. They're talking about series that have run their course and should be put on ice, like Rockband, and she actually brings up Breath of the Wild as a counterpoint, citing it as an example, along with God of War, of an older series successfully reinvigorating itself by going in a bold new direction.

You can't just throw quote marks around some mean-looking words and claim it's a thing that someone said when it absolutely 100% wasn't.

Last edited:

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Based on that graph, the more I like a 3D Zelda, the worse it sells.

Until BotW anyway, that's my favorite one.

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
BotW is besides of Super Mario World and Mario Kart Double Dash, one of my favourite games of all times! It just did everything right for me. Such a great game and so well deserved!!!!

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, Zelda still got it. And it will keep selling for years. Wonder what the ceiling is for its sales will be, 15 million?
i predict a GTA V situation of not giving a shit and just selling for years. until a sequel is out (and probably after that), every new switch buyer will al least consider buying botw.

Tirisfal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
Very good news. BoTW showed me an exciting new direction. There are obviously huge improvements that can/need to be made, and I know when they are, the next Zelda could perhaps be the perfection I've been looking for in this series.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I'm not sure if you intentionally cut off the video right where the important context would be, but you're still not fairly representing her words anyway. They're talking about series that have run their course and should be put on ice, like Rockband, and she actually brings up Breath of the Wild as a counterpoint, citing it as an example, along with God of War, of an older series successfully reinvigorating itself by going in a bold new direction.

You can't just throw quote marks around some mean-looking words and claim it's a thing that someone said when it absolutely 100% wasn't.

She mentioned for three seconds and then they moved to Mario, but i interpreted her answer as "Zelda should end with Breath of the Wild, as a great way to end a franchise that lasted for decades".

If that was the case, it's so wrong and stupid to even think, otherwise i'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

No mean words thrown here, her point of view about Nintendo is well-known, and you can watch all previous episodes of KF, she got a lot of backlash for certain statements she said in the past. (and i won't go any further than that since this is already OT)

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing and well deserved! I bought it on both Wii U and now i'm replaying on Switch.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
What's amazing is that the game shipped the same amount it did during the fall quarter as it did during this quarter. Regardless of whether the game might have been overshipped before the fall quarter started (never saw any hints towards that, though, so I don't think it's the case), the pace at which BOTW is selling is unbelievable.

I'd page Duckroll but he's apparently banned? Self-requested or cast upon him by mods?

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
It's a great game, so I'm glad that it's selling this well.

It's also a bit sad that the best selling Zelda game is the one who adapted to the current fad instead of being a pathfinder, but that's how the gaming audience buys.

The fad that's been going since 2001? That fad?

And this Zelda being open world is less about following trend, and more about rediscovering the series' roots.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
You don't count remasters/ports released a decade later when comparing the sales performance of two games. You compare the original life cycles of the games.

Once BotW is old enough to get ported to the next Nintendo console, then we can talk about whether it has the legacy to go up against every version of OoT.

Last edited:

Deleted member 26535

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Last week I tried to buy Zelda but was sold out at the store. And the price is US$ 85.

Next week I will try again.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
For a person with a Zelda BotW avatar you're really drilling your hate of the game around lol

I don't have to like the game to like a character from the series. And Princess Zelda has probably always been my favorite Nintendo character.

What? How is it not? BOTW is very much traditional era Zelda at its core.

No themed temples, unique bosses, unique items to find in each temple. It also starts getting very repetitive after some time. Plus sidequests were turned into boring fetch quests or defeat a monster quests.

I'm sorry, I just don't see anything 'traditional Zelda' about the game. It really seems to me like people are deluding themselves to seeing that in order to heap more praise on the game.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The fad that's been going since 2001? That fad?

Pretty much yes, the "everything has to be open world, quantity > quality, reusing assets is cooler than handcrafting content" fad. That fad. I think it didn't do any favours to Zelda, honestly.

And this Zelda being open world is less about following trend, and more about rediscovering the series' roots

Now, I've followed the "The Legend of Zelda was an 8 Bit open world game" with a mix of amusement and admiration but it's kind of getting out of hand here.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
Well deserved for the game of the generation.

Just over a year out too. Will probably peak between 15 and 20m.

Max Payne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the voice of an Axis soldier from Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory: GOOD GAME!

The very first LoZ is still my favorite, but I think it's quite well deserved.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Good game. Good sales.
Tired, predictable, hand holding formula. Bad sales.

Botw formula can and should be improved, but it'd unquestionably a step in the right direction.