• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Realeza

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has begun.

https://gotypicks.blogspot.com/?m=1

The high-profile ones include Time and Golden Joysticks. It will be interesting to see how Zelda and Mario end when it's all said and done. I originally had a 60/40 split vote in favor of Zelda, but looks like it will be more than that.

Very well deserved too, as the game is a classic.

And I hope at least a few sites give a nod to Resident Evil 7, which hasn't received the recognition it deserves!

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best Nintendo game ever so yeah, not a big surprise. I'm pretty sure those 105h with BotW were the fastest I've ever had.

Deleted member 1378

Oct 25, 2017
goty is subjective tho so it doesn't really matter

like I love botw but tallying up goty wins is just list war stuff

Oct 25, 2017
Mario is probably better, but I adored by time with BOTW.
Critics seems to really like medieval fantasy games because I remember both Witcher and Dragon Age Inquisition cleaning up

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is finally going to win the most goty awards this year, despite making some amazing games they didn't have that honor for a long time. Good on them, they had an amazing year.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dominating?, that's a bit too early to tell right? January is when you can probably make that claim if it's going the way it's going.

Deleted member 1378

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the discussions we have on this board are probably about things that are subjective, and even the objective topics typically are filled with subjective takes. So I'm not really sure of your point.
it's not like I'm saying "don't discuss it!" just that I personally think tallying up goty awards ends up with console war stuff more often than not

like look at the old site with bloodborne, uc4, the Witcher, etc

Oct 25, 2017
are there major releases left in the year? i thought nearly everything big was out already
Both statements are true.
I imagine GOTY awards would be objectively better in early 2018, but publications like having them out before the year ends so it cuts off anything past Black Friday.

There also isn't much left in the year. Xenoblade and?

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of who wins the most GOTY awards, 2017 will be remembered as one of the best years for our hobby. It's incredible how many great games have released in the last 11 months.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Dominating?, that's a bit too early to tell right? January is when you can probably make that claim if it's going the way it's going.
That will be too late! Most of the media picks are done in December actually. Your Gamespot/IGN and so on do wait until later.

Both statements are true.
I imagine GOTY awards would be objectively better in early 2018, but publications like having them out before the year ends so it cuts off anything past Black Friday.

There also isn't much left in the year. Xenoblade and?

Mostly expansions--Destiny 2, RE7, FFXIII--and ports. Xenoblade is the big one that's original and full game.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I personally feel like Persona 5 should win it but since it's going up against Zelda/Mario then it automatically has no chance.

All great games though but I think P5 edges BOTW

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
All I know is Nier should and rightfully so win best sound design/OST. Okabe and crew knocked it out of the park. As for GOTY, there's too many good games this year and I can see a case being made for any of them. Even if Zelda unanimously sweeps the critics, I don't think it's the definitive GOTY. 2017 was pretty damn stellar.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
Fucking loved BOTW. Well deserved. Still don't know if Mario Odyssey is better, though. Saving that for my Christmas game.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Breath of the Wild is my favorite video game of all time. It took that title from Metroid Prime, which held it for nearly 15 years.

Well deserved.

Blackquill

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if BOTW is my GOTY, it's a little bit sad to just nominating one game this year. 2017 was just too good and I can't forgot game such as Odyssey, Cuphead, Persona 5, Nier Automata, Yakuza 0 / Kiwami and even Horizon because awards only name one game.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Technically yeah, but realistically which major releases are left for 2017? Xenoblade is more or less it I think? Obviously I have no clue how good it will be, but if it's going to be rivalling BotW then the Switch really is having a hell of a year.

PUBG going out of early access. Depending on the rules of the sites that could determine if it is eligible this year or next year

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
giphyd1b6y.gif

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Nintendo is finally going to win the most goty awards this year, despite making some amazing games they didn't have that honor for a long time. Good on them, they had an amazing year.
This is the first year in a loooooooong time Nintendo has made a bonafide GOTY winner (and they even made two of them)

They stepped their shit up big time, that's why they're gonna win the majority of GOTY awards. I hope they continue the trend into next year.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
It's one of the best games I have played in many years.
and 2017 had quite a few disappointments in it, and with RDR2 postponed I don't see any competition for BOTW. This will be one of the most obvious GOTY picks of all time.

Oct 29, 2017
As it should, but outside of Joystick and Time, yeah not much of note yet.

(I had a bit of a giggle going through Computer Bild's robotic reviews)

Oct 27, 2017
it's not like I'm saying "don't discuss it!" just that I personally think tallying up goty awards ends up with console war stuff more often than not

like look at the old site with bloodborne, uc4, the Witcher, etc

So do review threads. And sales threads. And performance threads. Games winning GOTY awards seems like a relevant thing to talk about. If people shied away from making threads because they might devolve into console wars, there'd be a pretty small range of topics getting made.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
I personally feel like Persona 5 should win it but since it's going up against Zelda/Mario then it automatically has no chance.

All great games though but I think P5 edges BOTW

Opinions and all, but from the great games of this year, Persona 5 is easily the weakest.

Nier, Horizon, Divinity are all way better, imo (aside from, of course, botw and Odyssey)

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like it much but this isn't surprising in the slightest. It'll probably be something of a 65/35 split between Zelda and Mario with the occasional outlier.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
Hardly unexpected. It's a lovely game, perhaps not the greatest ever as some like to say, but definitely a gem. Wonder what the final tally will look like. Mario Odyssey is sure to get some votes too.