• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017

XXSVT2s.png

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
will soon be the highest-selling Zelda game in the series.

Today, Nintendo announced that the Nintendo Switch version of Breath of the Wild has sold 6.7 million units globally. It was previously reported that the Wii U version has sold over 1.08 million units globally.

This brings total sales of Breath of the Wild to over 7.78 million units worldwide, making it the second-highest-selling Zelda game so far. (The highest selling game is, of course, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.)

Global sales for the entire Zelda series can be found here at the Game Design Gazette website

Bamboo

Oct 25, 2017
Deserved! What is more shocking that Majora seems to be the worst selling major console Zelda.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Cross Gen zeldas sells the most

Didn't expected Twilight to be the best selling but well everything sold insanely on the wii so it makes sense

OP
OP
404LinkNotFound
Oct 27, 2017
Its cool that despite the backlash at the time Wind Waker still managed to sell rather well on the Gamecube of all things

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I swear if it wasn't for Midna I legit think I would forget Twilight Princess sometimes. I barley remember anything from that game that doesn't involve her.

Great to see BotW doing so well, absolutely deserves it.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
I thought my prediction it would pass 10 million in sales was optimistic, but BotW is going to blow past that mark. It will be interesting to see just how high it can go. 12 million at minimum seems very likely.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I thought the Switch version would be 8-9 million now, but that still is a great number, congrats.

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
I weep in my heart every time I see the Minish Cap sales, my favorite 2D Zelda and one of most the memorable games on GBA for me ;_;

I didn't know the minish cap sold that bad. It was a really great game.
I remember the fact that the team that made it joined Nintendo afterwards and feel a little better about it. They saw their worth and quality output of a great game and made the right decision.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
Didn't even we'd have a Zelda sell TP/OOT numbers again, but I guess all it takes is a GOTG tier game and a great console.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
Minish Cap came out at a bad time, right before the DS launch. I feel like it got overshadowed in terms of visibility.

In general the Zeldas which come out right at the end of a console's lifespan don't seem to do so hot.

Nanomage

Dec 21, 2017
Since I don't really follow the Zelda franchise it's a bit surprising to me that not a single Zelda game ever broke 10M units,I always thought these games were much bigger sellers.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very good results, especially after Skyward Sword. I hope the Zelda team take away good lessons from what people loved about BotW and build on that. If nothing else, hopefully this leads to more ambitious Zelda games.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Twilight Princess sales count is still insane. Just goes to show how successful the Wii was. Still a fantastic game.

Breath of the Wild will deservingly surpass it.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice it will surley outsell the combined numbers of all OoT and TP versions wich is over 10m for both. Capcom does that all the time counting total sales of all versions so i figured why not.

I think BotW Switch will surely alone will already outsell those numbers tho.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Nope ,the fanbase is just very vocal and very passionate XD . Its a mid tier seller of 3 to 5 million ususaly

Exactly, and Nintendo will keep making them and putting much effort because they sell consoles which in time make people buy more games and in the ends it is just the best thing for Nintendo.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since I don't really follow the Zelda franchise it's a bit surprising to me that not a single Zelda game ever broke 10M units,I always thought these games were much bigger sellers.

The industry was far smaller when many of these games released. Plus, most of them only launched on a single platform. BotW will sell 10 million+ easily and it may be the start of huge numbers for the franchise moving forward.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
It deserves 10x the sales. My 2nd playthrough in Master Mode + both DLC packs has elevated the game another notch and it's definitely my #1 pick for GOAT. Utterly amazing.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that we are seeing big sales for Mario and Zelda on a console that is (so far) one of the lowest sellers (by which I mean that I know it will be success but right now it's below everything but the Wii U). That's got be good news.

Back before the Switch launched, in 2016, I was very pessimistic about how the next Nintendo console might do. It seems hard to believe now but Nintendo was a joke back then. I did say, however, that Nintendo might be OK if they can somehow make themselves hip. I also said that the NES Classic was a good way to do that.

I think Nintendo has managed to do that. People, even people who were two young for the NES, SNES and even the N64 see them as this cool, retro games company, a perfect antidote to the ostentatious and ephemeral hypermodernism of the PlayStation and Xbox. Nintendo stands for quality and long-lasting appeal.

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
Echoing the sad face for Minish Cap. Really fun game. Same for A Link Between Worlds?! That's the second lowest title? :( Why did that sell so much less than Phantom fucking Hourglass?

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO
The N64 was largely irrelevant by the time Majora's Mask came out. Skyward Sword suffered a similar fate - in fact I'd argue it performed worse given the Wii's install base.

This is quite true. Skyward sword came at the worst timing. That last year before the Wii U was dreadful on the Wii. It's a shame cause despite the GAF/Reset hate it's a good game. Doesn't hold a candle to BotW or OoT though

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
The N64 was largely irrelevant by the time Majora's Mask came out. Skyward Sword suffered a similar fate - in fact I'd argue it performed worse given the Wii's install base.

Skyward Sword might of also been hurt by the fact that it required the MotionPlus add-on. And unlike Wii Sports Resort, most copies didn't come bundled with it.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Minish Cap came out at a bad time, right before the DS launch. I feel like it got overshadowed in terms of visibility.

The interesting thing is, Nintendo were hoping for Minish Cap to keep the GBA selling in Japan, since the Gamecube was selling badly. It made Aonuma leave the Twilight Princess project for a while, just because there was pressure to make sure Minish Cap turned out good and kept Nintendo relevant in the Japanese market.

That kind of didn't work out, but luckily the DS happened—and to Aonuma's credit he began prototyping for DS early on, and asked for the "direct touch" controls to be implemented, knowing it would broaden Zelda's Japanese audience.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Skyward Sword is pretty good imo, one of my favs i would tie it in with Majoras Mask and i like that one more than OoT.

Minish Cap and Wind Waker will always have a special place first one is my first Zelda game latter my first console zelda game, yeah kid me was pretty mindblown goin from Cap to Waker.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Do the Ocarina numbers include 3D?

(And, for that matter, Virtual Console, although I suspect the numbers there aren't astronomical)

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
I thought Ocarina of Time was at 7m+ N64 and 4m+ 3DS? I know its a grey area lumping them together, but its essentially the same game and those BOTW figures seem to include both Switch and Wii U versions

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What this says to me is that we might finally get rid of the Twilight Princess designs in Smash.