• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html

After shipping 960k units this quarter, the Switch SKU of BotW officially passes 10 million shipped, coming in at 10.28 million exactly.

We can presume the Wii U version has done around 2 million, putting total shipments at over 12 million. This beats both Twilight Princess releases, which combined sold just under 9 million units.

Sales for other Zeldas can be found here

But here is the top 5 for the series:
1. Breath of the Wild - 11.36 million*
2. Twilight Princess - 8.69 million
3. Ocarina of Time - 7.60 million (+5.62 million for 3D version = 13.22 million
4. Zelda 1 - 6.51 million
5. A Link to the Past - 4.61 million

*Note that this includes the 1.08 million for the Wii U version which hasn't been updated since last March, likely well over this by a bit.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
gotg of the generation
really well deserved, it can probably sell a few more millions and finish with 15 when all is said and done

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Well deserved and can't wait to see what they cook up next for Legend of Zelda.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I hope for 20 million + ltd. Awesome game, and it deserves every copy it can sell.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
There's not much that hasn't been said about it at this point, but it really is -and continues to be- one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. That's what's particularly striking about BotW- It's still fun, fresh, and surprising, despite the fact that I basically haven't stopped playing it since launch. It deserves to sell and sell and sell.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's insanely good for recent zelda, reached lttp and almost oot levels ... The formula is most likely gonna stick at this point and I personally don't mind if they decide to build on it, maybe adding back some of those elements they took away from the old formula

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
You can improve this thread by putting LTD sales of many other relevant Zelda titles. just to put some perspective

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can improve this thread by putting LTD sales of many other relevant Zelda titles. just to put some perspective

It's the best selling entry in the series, surpassing Twilight Princess, which sold a bit under 9 million units between Wii and GCN.

The legs of this game have me kind of convinced the next 3D Zelda title won't launch until Switch 2 releases.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
how impressive that after 30 years the series basically got reinvented and it was this successful. that doesn't happen often.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
That's not bad.

200.gif

Last edited:

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
BoTW is pretty much the only open world game I can go back and start a new save in, and then proceed to have a completely different experience each time without getting completely bored or tired of it.

For that alone, I still have it as my favorite of this gen.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
My favorite game of this generation, best open world ever designed. Well deserved sales.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oot might still have a slight edge if you consider all the re-releases and the remake, but only by a slight margin that it will lose very soon and only according to some sources

You can't count remakes, OoT 3D released 13 years later! If you do count that, BotW has a ways to go still, but it will eventually surpass it. If you combine both Switch and Wii U SKUs for BotW, it only needs to sell another 1 million units or so to outperform both versions of OoT.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
You can't count remakes, OoT 3D released 13 years later! If you do count that, BotW has a ways to go still, but it will eventually surpass it.
Yeah, OoT plus OoT 3D is 12.63 million, should be easily surpassed between both BotW versions by the end of the holidays. Might even be surpassed now if the Wii U version did better than expected

Edit: wait that's wrong, 13.22. Still should be surpassed by the end of next year maybe.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can't count remakes, OoT 3D released 13 years later! If you do count that, BotW has a ways to go still, but it will eventually surpass it. If you combine both Switch and Wii U SKUs for BotW, it only needs to sell another 1 million units or so to outperform both versions of OoT.
That is exactly what I said, oot might have a slight margin if you add the re-releases but it's still most likely gonna lose that small advantage really soon as BotW continues to sell.
Also while it might be unfair to add re releases and the remake to the count, BotW has a second version on another console that oot didn't have at the time.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
That is exactly what I said, oot might have a slight margin if you add the re-releases but it's still most likely gonna lose that small advantage really soon as BotW continues to sell.
Also while it might be unfair to add re releases and the remake to the count, BotW has a second version on another console that oot didn't have at the time.
Eh it's unfair to compare the second version to the remakes. Lots of people who owned the original will buy a remake, most people just pick between one version if the original release has two.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

BotW on Switch alone has handily outsold OoT N64's lifetime numbers. I'd also argue a second version of a game released on the same day is different than a full-on remake over a decade later.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
It's a defining achievement for the industry in terms of sheer artistry and the embrace of user-directed play. Great to see it rewarded with such strong sales.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Will this finally kill the "Zelda needs to go with a realistic artstyle!" discussion? People always said Zelda needed to go realistic to go mainstream again

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
My personal GOAT when it comes to single player games.
I remember the launch of Switch and BotW with so much joy.

Looks like it's going to keep trucking for a long long time, another 2-3 million units over the holiday should be totally doable.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is so deserved. In a time where every open world game was becoming more or less the same, BotW brought much needed innovations. It's really a big step forward for this genre. And while it's certainly not perfect, it will become a strong foundation for future titles.

Cugel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 7, 2017
Hopefully they get the cue and BOTW 2 is the same formula

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Cugel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 7, 2017

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The sales were deserved, it's one of the greatest games I've ever played. I have over 800 hours on it and I probably placed more hours into it than every Zelda game I've played combined. I'm glad Nintendo went the route they did by giving the player so much freedom, and I can't wait to see the next Zelda game carry on this route with refinements many suggested.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
already confirmed by Aonuma

https://www.polygon.com/2017/4/4/15177026/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-open-world

When asked by Famitsu whether Zelda games will continue to use the unique of Breath of the Wild, Aonuma teased that we'd see more open-world Zelda in the future.

"I think that, in the future, open air games will be the standard for Zelda," Aonuma said.
Aonuma says a lot of things. Remember when he said that Zelda will always be cel-shaded and yet still directed TP? And remember after SS when he said Zelda will always have 1:1 swordplay and BotW still happened?

He'll flip once his team shows him something different.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's like the third Switch game to break 10M right? This is a super impressive both for the console as a home to massive sellers and for the Zelda series itself.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aonuma says a lot of things. Remember when he said that Zelda will always be cel-shaded and yet still directed TP? And remember after SS when he said Zelda will always have 1:1 swordplay and BotW still happened?

Aonuma has never seen success like this though...and I also would be shocked if the next 3D Zelda isn't relatively deep in development already. They're almost certainly using BotW as a base. That's not to say "open air" will be the style forever.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Aonuma says a lot of things. Remember when he said that Zelda will always be cel-shaded and yet still directed TP? And remember when he said Zelda will always have 1:1 swordplay after SS and BotW still happened?

Those things weren't well received changes though. The BotW changes are more comparable to the changes OoT brought imo.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Aonuma has never seen success like this though...and I also would be shocked if the next 3D Zelda isn't relatively deep in development already. They're almost certainly using BotW as a base. That's not to say "open air" will be the style forever.
Anything can happen, but TP was the best selling Zelda when it released and yet they still went into a completely different direction with the sequel. The only time a 3D Zelda was a retread of the previous entry was Majora's Mask and that only happened because of a challenge set by Miyamoto to see if Aonuma was worthy of taking over the series.

All to say that his actions speak louder than his words.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
That game alone restored my interest in video games and proved that you can still have new amazing memories with games that are not tinted by nostalgia glasses. Well deserved.