• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zelda Breath Of The Wild vs Super Mario Odyssey! which game is the best?

• Zelda Breath Of The Wild

Votes: 746 58.4%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 531 41.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Odyssey is much better

BOTW was a nice experiment in breaking new ground for the series but I felt they took the wrong road in a number of areas.

Mario has its core gameplay down pat and I haven't seen anything new that I didn't like.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've played Odyssey is better, it's gonna be hard to top that one for Nintendo for a while I think.

Possumowner

Oct 27, 2017
Uk
Oof two marvellous games but I have to say Odyssey is a true masterpiece and oh my word is it so much fun.Its superseded Mario 64 as my most loved Mario game.Outstanding

Djawed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They both brought me such joy that I will never choose. Just as their metacritics are both 97, I will consider them both equal.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BotW.

Odyssey is a great Mario game, but BotW was simply magical. Probably my favorite game of all time.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
I'd agree with the too soon sentiment. As for where I sit on it, I freaking adore Mario Odyssey right now, but after all the time I put into Breath of the Wild, I'm leaning ever so slightly towards that.

Either way, what an incredible year to be a Nintendo fan.

Bigmac

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Love 'em both, but Zelda has that Ghibli-esque fantasy feel that gives me the warm fuzzies. Odyssey comes so close though.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't played Odyssey yet, but it certainly does a better job of being a Mario game than BOTW being a Zelda game.

NotGreatBob

Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey doesn't have the performance issues of BotW, but BotW is definitely the more impactful experience. Odyssey is a fucking amazing Mario game, but BotW reinvented the series and pushed open-world games forward in some profound ways.

So I'd go with BotW.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't make me chose between my babies!

Mario consistently made me smile the whole way through and has some astounding moments, but Zelda did genuinely make me feel like a child playing Zelda for the first time again. Also, I think Zelda had the more challenging and fulfilling gameplay throughout, with a somewhat weak ending. Odyssey isn't particular challenging for the most part (nor does it need to be, Mario games are meant to be accessible), but the entire last 4th of the game is amazing and I'm still in shock of how much I loved it.

If it were allowed, I'd say both games are my Game of the Year so far. They're both just that good.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
1. It's too soon.
2. They're vastly different genres. It's like comparing the NES Super Mario Bros. and Legend of Zelda.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey doesn't have the performance issues of BotW, but BotW is definitely the more impactful experience. Odyssey is a fucking amazing Mario game, but BotW reinvented the series and pushed open-world games forward in some profound ways.

So I'd go with BotW.
This was gonna bei my take 100%, except less eloquent.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
BOTW edges ahead for me. The world exploration is so magical in BOTW such that it narrowly beats out the exploration and the GOAT gameplay of SMO for me.

swimming

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well, i stayed to beat odyssey. so it gets my vote. maybe played ten hours of botw before dropping it. def gonna get back into it at some point. probably start over, but there's something to be said about a game that made me complete it over a weekend. i honestly dont think that's ever happened before with me.

PhilouFelin

Account closed at user request.
Oct 25, 2017
I'll have a hard time figuring out which one will be my GotY. One thing is sure though, they'll take the number 1 and number 2 spots easily.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, at least in regards to getting an aggregate answer. Odyssey will have more support due to the immediate recency bias, it's unavoidable.

Odyssey is a great game, I even enjoy it as a non-Mario fan, but I don't think it's even in the same ballpark as BotW. It's a joyful game to play, great level design, great music, great aesthetics. But BotW is an experience. The sense of exploration in BotW rivals some real-life hiking trips I've taken.

Deleted member 8112

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've (almost) 100%ed BotW twice, so I love it to death. I've only just beaten Mario Odyssey, I'll need to 100% it to get a better grasp but I'd say that so far they're on equal footings because imo they both achieve what they set out to do.

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
Too soon for me right now. I loved the majority of time I spent with Breath of the Wild, but definitely felt burnt out by the time I finished it. Not sure if I'll feel the same way about Mario or not.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is like when you have a brother and you go ask your mom which one of you two she loves more and she answers "I love both of you equally."

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I really can't say yet. I'm still in my honeymoon period with Odyssey while I've had plenty of time to reflect on my time with BotW. Close contenders for sure, thinking I might place Zelda higher but I will need some more time.

Flo_Evans

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what your criteria is really.

Both games are nearly perfect. I think speaking purely gameplay wise mario is tighter. I much prefer the adventure and style of zelda though.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I've never felt the desire to make a qualitative comparison between a Mario game and a Zelda game. They occupy different spaces and satisfy different needs and both pretty much exist on equal footing in my mind, and always have.

Jamix012

Oct 28, 2017
I have to go with Breath of the Wild. Odyssey is a great Mario game but is lacking magic for me right now. I think the lack of a hub world hurts it for me. BotW is incredible though

NotGreatBob

Oct 25, 2017
If we're really, really nitpicky, Odyssey not being truly designed for full portability (i.e., the limitations of the motion controls in portable mode) is a pretty big issue when comparing it to Breath of the Wild, which offers a basically identical experience in portable mode.

Seiniyta

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Odessey is a very solid Mario game and has amazing moments but my vote definitively would go to Zelda as it's way more ambitious in what it set out to do.

Link-182

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna go with Odyssey.

Zelda's open world was fantastic to explore but I really missed big old school dungeons. Every divine beast and associated boss fight just seemed the same and really didn't seem as memorable as more traditional Zelda dungeons. Odyssey had old and new mixed together in such a weird and wonderful way that I didn't really have many complaints. It was a joyous experience from beginning to end.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
This is like choosing between my kids.

I am not going to play this game.

Loved both of them (not far into Odyssey but it keeps getting better every hour and I am already really to decade it a classic not being halfway through).

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think that Odyssey is more my type of game. Every inch is pack with joyful secrets. BotW has those things as well but they're more repetitive and the game is more desolate by design.

Oct 28, 2017
I found quite a few parts of Zelda to be a chore. A tedious, unfun chore. So far about 6 hours into SMO, I haven't had that feeling yet. SMO gets the nod from me.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
I need to finish Odyssey first, but so far I'd say BotW. I'm really enjoying Odyssey, but so far I don't like it as much as I liked 3D World. I think I just prefer the level based setup of that game. Like I said though, I definitely need to spend more time with it. I foolishly bought all 3 big games that came out that day, so I've had to split my time and have not gotten as far into Odyssey as most people probably have.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
They're both awesome. BotW has some clear as day flaws, but so far I can find almost no fault in Odyssey. The game is perfect in almost every sense. I don't know how Nintendo will ever top it.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I really can't choose. I like them both for different reasons. Historically, I've always liked Mario games more, and Odyssey easily meets the high expectations I have for EPD Tokyo. However, Breath of the Wild blew my expectations away and has easily become my new favorite Zelda game. In the end, both are generation-defining games, and it's crazy to think we got them in the same year.

Greymanic

Oct 25, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Probably BotW at this point but it's still too soon to say (only on the third world of Mario).

Both are amazing games but the controls in Mario, while minor, have been a downside for me personally. Traditionally I have also enjoyed Zelda games far more than Mario games as well so I'm likely a little biased in that regard! Still as others have said, an amazing year to be a Nintendo fan.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
It's too soon, but I suspect that Mario Odyssey will be great for pick up and play in 20 years while Zelda will feel like a slog.

I don't feel like BOTW is a chore now, but with future worlds which take what BOTW did and improve it, I think it'll depreciate. BOTW is the first of a new generation of open worlds that are designed at the large scale rather than details scale.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think we have to give it another week or two before we give this assessment. Everybody thought Zelda was the greatest thing ever for like two weeks before some of the criticisms against the game trickled in.
For the record all the BotW haters are wrong.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
BotW is more my type of game, so I'll go with that game between the two. However, both are outstanding and Nintendo has really nailed it with this generation so far between the system, games, and third party outreach.

yoPowerTime

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Too early for me, I'm only 2 hours or so into Mario. I think the "you can go right to the final destination of the game" aspect of Zelda was really interesting. I felt it really enhanced the feeling of exploration and preparation for a final confrontation. Mario feels different. Not in a bad way at all, just a more traditional approach to getting lost in a world.

I don't know if that makes sense. Either way, I don't envy any journalists who have to craft a top games list, or even choose a "game of the year."

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BoTW because they take the risk and it's open world design structure will influence future games.
Mario is Mario at it's best, no one but Nintendo can make it.
But collect Power Moon > Korok seed.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the wild was my GOTY so far. I love the direction they took that series. However, Mario Odyssey was pure joy in gaming form. The part after the final boss was one of my favorite gaming moments of all time.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
I've yet to finish Zelda , I found it pretty underwhelming , whereas Mario has me hooked throughout .

Different style / tastes obviously but I found Zelda's open world pretty boring beyond some cool physics .

As someone who hasn't played mario platformer since Mario galaxy , odyssey tops that games high standards .

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting five minutes for this rain to stop in Zelda so Mario gets my vote even though I haven't played it yet.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also Breath of the Wild is more ground breaking in its design while Odyssey is the best refinement on 64.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mario. Zelda is such a impressive game with massive scope but sometimes it is a chore to play. Mario is just fun from start to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.