• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017

The Zelda Encyclopedia confirms that the entirety of the first game on NES takes place on Death Mountain from Link to the Past

DgMAXQZX4AAgUMm.jpg

Thought this was thread worthy, my mind is blown.

Edit: Can a mod put "From ALTTP" in the title.

Edit 2: Thank you!

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I saw that when I was looking in the book. They had a picture of Z1's map lining up with the bottom of Death Mountain in Zelda 2, too.

I found it really neat.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. I was going to call this out as retconned bullshit (like the fake timeline - don't @ me motherfuckers) but it actually does seem to match up.

Cool.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of works, except for the Lost Woods. Unless they spread eastward following the events of A Link to the Past.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't really "confirm" it, they have a ton of language in that book that's all "these are our best guesses about how some of these things might line up." It's a neat concept tho.

Since I've been waitin for a thread about this book to pop up tho, let me rant about one thing. A big deal in the JP release of this Zelda Encyclopedia was that it changed the Hyrule Historia timeline a bit, moving OOS/OOA out from in between LTTP/LA, and putting it after them, with a new Link. Which makes sense, since Link and Zelda interact in the Oracles as if they'd never met before. But the English translation fucked it all up, it copy/pastes the "this is the same link from LTTP" text from Link's Awakening for Link's origins, instead of the (roughly) "the boy who was traveling by horse" text from the JP edition. Every visualization of the timeline throughout the book is clear to place OOS/OOA as a separate time, distinct from LTTP/LA, but the one place where they said it explicitly was all fucked up. A real shame, makes it hard to trust a lot of other stuff in the book.

Last edited:

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't really "confirm" it, they have a ton of language in that book that's all "these are our best guesses about how some of these things might line up." It's a neat concept tho.

Since I've been waitin for a thread about this book to pop up tho, let me rant about one thing. A big deal in the JP release of Hyrule Encyclopedia was that it changed the Hyrule Historia timeline a bit, moving OOS/OOA out from in between LTTP/LA, and putting it after them, with a new Link. Which makes sense, since Link and Zelda interact in the Oracles as if they'd never met before. But the English translation fucked it all up, it copy/pastes the "this is the same link from LTTP" text from Link's Awakening for Link's origins, instead of the (roughly) "the boy who was traveling by horse" text from the JP edition. Every visualization of the timeline throughout the book is clear to place OOS/OOA as a separate time, distinct from LTTP/LA, but the one place where they said it explicitly was all fucked up. A real shame, makes it hard to trust a lot of other stuff in the book.

This is the new 'Zelda Encyclopedia' - is that the same one you're talking about?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a screenshot that also matched the map from Zelda 1 to Death Mountain in Zelda 2?

This too:

latest

It seems pretty clear to me that Zelda 1 and 2 were supposed to be very connected like this, but I'm not sure I'm seeing the resemblance to Death Mountain in aLttP. Might be them "confirming" it after the fact, rather than it taking actual inspiration from it.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
So if Zelda 1 is in its entirety just the death mountain portion in LttP and in Zelda 2 is the southmost corner of the map, doesn't this basically confirm that geographic inconsistencies between games is actually normal? Like, its arguable now that Hyrule shifts and changes locations, with Death Mountain always a central focus point that has its surrounding areas change. That also means that technically all the forests surrounding it are ALL lost woods, which means that in BoTW a lot of the timeline mergin makes a lot of sense since the geography actually does change over centuries, with each area in each game just being a different surrounding area of death mountain. This is a kind of mind blowing revelation.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is the new 'Zelda Encyclopedia' - is that the same one you're talking about?

Yeah, the one that came out in Japan like six months ago or whenever it was, just finally translated/shipped in America.

Sorry, will rename Hyrule to Zelda in my post, didn't notice that. I'm just as bad as them!

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the one that came out in Japan like six months ago or whenever it was, just finally translated/shipped in America.

Sorry, will rename Hyrule to Zelda in my post, didn't notice that. I'm just as bad as them!

Cool. I don't really understand why we have this one and the Hyrule one. What's the difference. I've got the limited edition version on order though :)

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Zelda 1 takes place in the lower half of Zelda 2's map. I don't think it lines up to ALTTP at all.

Legend_of_Zelda_2%2C_The_-_Adventure_of_Link%2C_The_-_NES_-_Map_-_Drawing.jpg

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda 2 has ocean beneath Zelda 1 Map. Zelda 3 has Hyrule castle and other things below Zelda 1 map. I feel like the Zelda 2 connection was intentional but the Zelda 3 connection is kinda a stretch, unless something happened between 2 and 3 that surfaced a lot of land.

Considering 1 and 2 are set in the distant future compared to aLttP, the idea would be that a lot of land was submerged underwater over time. So I guess the kingdom had to move north.

But then BotW being even further in the future from 1 and 2 (presumably) kinda puts a hole in that theory.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

This too:

latest

It seems pretty clear to me that Zelda 1 and 2 were supposed to be very connected like this, but I'm not sure I'm seeing the resemblance to Death Mountain in aLttP. Might be them "confirming" it after the fact, rather than it taking actual inspiration from it.

Yeah, any of those matches way better (makes sense as it's a direct sequel). The one in the OP doesn't match mutch, but I guess you can say the map changed over time

Greenzxy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty cool, Zelda 1 starts off with link climbing out from a cave with an old man, ALLTP is similar where you enter into death mountain cave to and you end up with an old man. So for them to line up is a pretty cool nod to the past story.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This too:

latest

Zelda 1 takes place in the lower half of Zelda 2's map. I don't think it lines up to ALTTP at all.

Legend_of_Zelda_2%2C_The_-_Adventure_of_Link%2C_The_-_NES_-_Map_-_Drawing.jpg

This map is from a non canon comic.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
You guys this book is super detailed and very cool. I'd recommend it.

They literally have a chart for each game that shows the relationship every character in that game has with eachother.

They have five versions of the timeline - the general one from historia but adds ALBW and TFH, one that highlights the Triforce, one that highlights Zelda, one that highlights Ganon, and one that highlights Link so you can see what happens to each of them as the timeline moves

Just a super detailed book that also has tons of lore implications that will get you thinking. Stuff like the same forces being expressed in the different timeline branches in different ways (Windfish in LA vs Ocean King in PH vs, Levias in SS).

If even connects Tri Force Heroes to Zelda 2 by saying the northern lands in Zelda II could be the remains of Hytopia ("you'll notice some characters in Zelda II's northern area are very fashionable...")

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if Zelda 1 is in its entirety just the death mountain portion in LttP and in Zelda 2 is the southmost corner of the map, doesn't this basically confirm that geographic inconsistencies between games is actually normal? Like, its arguable now that Hyrule shifts and changes locations, with Death Mountain always a central focus point that has its surrounding areas change. That also means that technically all the forests surrounding it are ALL lost woods, which means that in BoTW a lot of the timeline mergin makes a lot of sense since the geography actually does change over centuries, with each area in each game just being a different surrounding area of death mountain. This is a kind of mind blowing revelation.
I'm gonna go with "no" on that one. I feel like that's less of a lore thing and more of a design thing. Just look at the word "legend" in the title of the games and focus on that. These are all stories, myths, legends. There may be some truths, but not all the details will be correct; there will be inconsistencies due to these legends being passed down from generation to generation.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna call bs congecture on this. Zelda 2 shows a zoomed out version of Zelda 1's map and it clearly doesn't match up with ALttP's map the way they are assuming. They probably got caught up on Zelda 2 only refering to Death Mountain as your destination in that area.

Since I've been waitin for a thread about this book to pop up tho, let me rant about one thing. A big deal in the JP release of this Zelda Encyclopedia was that it changed the Hyrule Historia timeline a bit, moving OOS/OOA out from in between LTTP/LA, and putting it after them, with a new Link. Which makes sense, since Link and Zelda interact in the Oracles as if they'd never met before. But the English translation fucked it all up, it copy/pastes the "this is the same link from LTTP" text from Link's Awakening for Link's origins, instead of the (roughly) "the boy who was traveling by horse" text from the JP edition. Every visualization of the timeline throughout the book is clear to place OOS/OOA as a separate time, distinct from LTTP/LA, but the one place where they said it explicitly was all fucked up. A real shame, makes it hard to trust a lot of other stuff in the book.
Oracles ends with a segue into the beginning of Link's Awakening, though.

Really what they should have done was quarantine all the Capcom Zelda games to their own universe since not a one of them references timeline like Nintendo's games do and they just cause complications like this.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty cool that they have subtle shout outs to previous games like that

*ahem* the fact that these geniuses had the foresight to plan the timeline so far in advance shows the scope of their ambition

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Got this in the mail a few days ago, the collectors edition is the greatest thing ever. It looks just like the NES cart.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are people expecting consistency in Zelda maps? If that's the case, future Zeldas will all be in the same map of Breath of The Wild(?)

In other words, how maps in Zelda series work?

Daschiel

Oct 28, 2017
This too:

latest

Wait ? Maze Island , BotW top right corner ..... Same here .... can't be a coincidence

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
For some reason his reminds me of the logic of Erasmus Montanus in the danish play with the same name by Ludvig Hollberg.

Erasmus: Nu skal I faa det at høre. En Steen kand ikke flyve.
Nille: Ney det er vist nok, undtagen man kaster den.
Montanus: I kand ikke flyve.
Nille: Det er og sant.
Montanus: Ergo, er Morlille en Steen?

Roughly translated it is a discussion in which Erasmus compares a girl to a stone because they both cannot fly.

Same with these maps, even if there are some similar tings does not mean it is the same :)
I personally think each Zelda game is it's own "universe" sort of without relation to each other. Like Final Fantasy.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oracles ends with a segue into the beginning of Link's Awakening, though.

Eh, only kinda. A different Link coulda got on a different boat. It was probably the original intent, but OOT's original intent was to retell the Imprisoning War, and we know what happened there.

It's true tho, the Capcom games just make a real mess of things, I don't think anyone was really paying any attention to those details.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Actually now that I think about it, couldn't it be the exact same geography, just flipped 180 degrees? Maybe at some point Hyrule's poles were reversed and north became south.

Wait ? Maze Island , BotW top right corner ..... Same here .... can't be a coincidence

Yeah it's definitely a callback to that.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
The book is super detailed. There is a chart that keeps track of the triforce and what state it's in at every point of the timeline. The map stuff is great, it's speculation but it's still fun.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Um, what? You can clearly see that only like half of the terrain is Death Mountain. I mean, the very landmark they use is the graveyard, which is outside DM in ALttP and right at the middle vertically for Zelda 1.

I guess "About half of Zelda 1 takes place in Death Mountain" didn't have the same ring to it, but come on.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I thought this was known? Granted I myself read about this on TVTropes, but it's a neat little tidbit.

Josh Fichter

Dec 11, 2017
St. Louis
Zelda 2 has ocean beneath Zelda 1 Map. Zelda 3 has Hyrule castle and other things below Zelda 1 map. I feel like the Zelda 2 connection was intentional but the Zelda 3 connection is kinda a stretch, unless something happened between 2 and 3 that surfaced a lot of land.

Well, Zelda 3 is actually long BEFORE Zelda 1/2, so maybe over time the water level rose and by the time of Zelda 2 it's all underwater.?