• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Wamb0wneD

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This was spot on for me, especially since I hadn't actually encountered a Hinox yet in my playthrough, so I had no clue what the creature with the giant eye and massive attack was that I was fighting.

It was pretty distressing and scary.
Weird, I'm ususally someone who shits his pants, I could barely finish RE2, but I didn't find that forest scary at all. I wouldn't even call it spooky. I would describe it as mysterious maybe. The music conveyed that as well. Mysterious but harmless.
It definetly had a cool feel to it though, that was distinct from the rest of the game.

Last edited:

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Disagree when I was searching for the waterfall treasure near one of the first stables getting to that forest at night and running into the giant skellington and having it toss trees at me with only 3 hearts was harrowing.

and the lower part of the ancient cistern being the "creepiest" part of SS was a fail, too.

If that's the part that I think it is it really seems like nothing will make you happy.

OP
OP
Wamb0wneD

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Disagree when I was searching for the waterfall treasure near one of the first stables getting to that forest at night and running into the giant skellington and having it toss trees at me with only 3 hearts was harrowing.

If that's the part that I think it is it really seems like nothing will make you happy.
Sorry but this is the music playing through that skelleton Hinox battle:

This is what runs when being at the bottom of the well in OoT:

Like... nah. One is infinetly more harrowing than the other.

I outlined in the OP what would make me happy. If you can't tell the difference between the videos in the OP, or what Majora's Mask did, in comparison to that Ancient Cistern part, I don't know what to tell you.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
What about

The Guardian Graveyard located at the bottom of one of the labyrinths?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I hope the tone the BoTW2 teaser sets stays in the game. I hope the fact we explore caves and stuff leads to moments like the above. I hope redeads are coming back.
I've said it before but I'll say it again. While nothing is a given exactly I do feel BoTW has a certain team and a certain tone it's going for and I doubt that will change any more in the new game than it did for, say the 3 latest Star Wars movies (which does change but it's always kinda similar too).

The Ganondorf in the trailer didn't inspire the kind of darkness you'd see in old games. It's still the overtly fantastical "in-world" sort of storytelling they're doing. If there's a mysterious thing in the story it's presented as mysterious and not unhinged and outlandish. They're very focused on Studio Ghibli styled art and art direction now, and Daiki Iwamoto and Fujibayashi (the directors) has a resume with Zelda that doesn't have any of those creepy N64/GC Zelda moments we're thinking of. The creepiest thing Daiki Iwamoto has created is Bellum and the Demon King and those were more saturday cartoon things than the typical Zelda creeps. Fujibayashi has Ghirahim and cute zombies in a water dungeon. It doesn't instill confidence in BoTW2 going back to Zelda's uncanny N64 roots.

OP
OP
Wamb0wneD

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've said it before but I'll say it again. While nothing is a given exactly I do feel BoTW has a certain team and a certain tone it's going for and I doubt that will change any more in the new game than it did for, say the 3 latest Star Wars movies (which does change but it's always kinda similar too).

The Ganondorf in the trailer didn't inspire the kind of darkness you'd see in old games. It's still the overtly fantastical "in-world" sort of storytelling they're doing. If there's a mysterious thing in the story it's presented as mysterious and not unhinged and outlandish. They're very focused on Studio Ghibli styled art and art direction now, and Daiki Iwamoto and Fujibayashi (the directors) has a resume with Zelda that doesn't have any of those creepy N64/GC Zelda moments we're thinking of. The creepiest thing Daiki Iwamoto has created is Bellum and the Demon King and those were more saturday cartoon things than the typical Zelda creeps. Fujibayashi has Ghirahim and cute zombies in a water dungeon. It doesn't instill confidence in BoTW2 going back to Zelda's uncanny N64 roots.
Mh the new Ganondorf certainly isn't as creepy as say, being at the bottom of the well, but it's still creepier than anything we saw in the first BotW I think. You're right about the directors though.

Let's hope they'll at least get in the direction again, even if they don't go the complete way. Something like Kaonashi is still possible in Ghibli movies after all.
And let's hope we see something in a few days. :P

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What on earth is "janky" about the atmopshere of that crypt?

It has about as much "atmosphere" as those creepy CG dancing babies clips on YouTube that are targeted at toddlers.

Look, I get that it was a formative moment for you as a child twenty years ago, but it's just awful from most any other perspective.

OP
OP
Wamb0wneD

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It has about as much "atmosphere" as those creepy CG dancing babies clips on YouTube that are targeted at toddlers.

Look, I get that it was a formative moment for you as a child twenty years ago, but it's just awful from most any other perspective.
giphy.gif

Maybe don't conflate animations/graphics with atmosphere lol.
Majora's Mask has one of the most striking atmopsheres to this day.

Not seen a take this bad for a long ass time.