• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

ZeroRanger |OT| WARNING: A Huge FINALBOSS Is Approaching Fast

OP
OP
1upsuper
Jan 30, 2018
I check the store page periodically to see if they've released the full OST yet so I just saw that update today. Very cool. I'll definitely check out the new palettes.

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
So I made it to the boss from the trailer
skull
and beat him and what am I playing anymore.

I got the skull lottery sleeping guy, after that I died in semi Space Invaders

wat. I don't know if I have the patience to try again, I'm _really_ bad at this game lol. I feel like I survived this far just by dumb luck.

Oct 26, 2017
Finally bought the game during the Steam sale and played it for a couple of hours so far and...

This game is fucking dope. It pulls out a ton of smart stuffs and references to classics in the genre pretty masterfully I'd say (I'm not the biggest shmup buff so YMMV).

Only nitpick so far is how Stage 4 is one loooooong stretch. Wish it was cut in 2 so I could try it again at the middle. Spoiler for what feels like should have been Level 5 (or 6 lol) to me :

Got the boss gauntlet, downed the Salamander and the Space Invader bosses and lost to the Undertale one. Shit got me laughing and me lose a life haha

Oct 26, 2017
It's one of those games which I would love to purge from my memories ... just to experience it all afresh. You new players, do cherish every moment.

Oct 26, 2017
It's one of those games which I would love to purge from my memories ... just to experience it all afresh. You new players, do cherish every moment.
Oh yeah I get the feeling and I'm far from done with the game.

Just completed the first loop, I'm ready to get WRECKED by the second loop haha. Just looking at the first stage it seems like the devs put a lot of effort into it. Those two continues I have yet to unlock are going to be useful.

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see this thread again. I love the game and recently came back after a pause. I need some advice on the last part:

The game is rather clear that you only have one shot at the end, and that you only have your remaining lives (or else you gotta grind up on them again, I suppose). I know this game is meant to be full of surprises - and jesus has it blown me away - but this part worries me as I really don't want to endlessly grind. I found the final boss before rather difficult, and had 4 continues left, but chose not to continue. It's weird I feel this way, which means I might be completely fooled by the narrative, but... is the actual finale super difficult compared to previous bosses?

OP
OP
1upsuper
Jan 30, 2018
Nice to see this thread again. I love the game and recently came back after a pause. I need some advice on the last part:

The game is rather clear that you only have one shot at the end, and that you only have your remaining lives (or else you gotta grind up on them again, I suppose). I know this game is meant to be full of surprises - and jesus has it blown me away - but this part worries me as I really don't want to endlessly grind. I found the final boss before rather difficult, and had 4 continues left, but chose not to continue. It's weird I feel this way, which means I might be completely fooled by the narrative, but... is the actual finale super difficult compared to previous bosses?
I faced a similar dilemma my first time when I reached the choice with 4ish continues and chose not to continue as well. It would turn out that that was definitely the right choice for me. It's not nearly as hard as the final boss (the pace is actually kinda slow IIRC) but it is very stressful due to the stakes, kinda long, and can take a few moments to figure out what exactly you're doing. When I eventually reached it with a full suite of continues, I used all of them as I recall and I almost lost. Obviously it'll depend on you and I'm not actually a great shmup player but if you're going into it blind you definitely want more than 4 continues. Since this was your first time through, you probably feel like you barely beat the final boss and don't want to do it again. But even with just a few more attempts you'll start to really get the hang of the fight and it'll become much easier.

Oct 25, 2017
Since this was your first time through, you probably feel like you barely beat the final boss and don't want to do it again. But even with just a few more attempts you'll start to really get the hang of the fight and it'll become much easier.
Thanks for the advice. I actually had to replay the final boss multiple times (and the first time I came close to winning I was like one bar away RIP), so I feel fairly used to it now. It does unfortunately feel a bit... random at times as some attacks can be quite mean. I'll continue and see if I can get the hang of it. While I LOVE the game, I sure suck at some sections (not sure I'd say that some parts feel like random difficulty spikes as it's guaranteed to be due to inexperience, but it certaintly feels like it >_<).

Oct 25, 2017
yeah so i suffered a major loss. but i'm playing the game still which to me indicates it's bloody good lol.

it's a pity so much of the story is opaque as fuck or only really comes to the fore near the end... it's all very interesting but i can't help but feel it's all just out of reach. Also tbh i think the colour scheme kind of hurts the readability of the game, especially at first glance. But at some point I was trying to dodge orange projectiles on an slightly differently shaded orange background and wondering what the fuck I was even really doing.