• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah want to look at the spoiler tags so bad.

I'm about to do the same as OP and just abandon ship until I finally get a chance to play it myself haha.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh damn I didn't know there was a thread for this. Great OT for a great game.

It is currently around 10 bucks and it is one of the finest examples of a vertical shooter. People always talk about wanting quality shmups. It is time to show some support for one.

8aU7FpA.png

ZeroRanger

layers and layers. these freakin' guys...

Holy hell. This game even has secrets in its title.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Bona fide 0ranger.

62yvcLZ.png

The home stretch is sort of mean, especially the point of no return thing. But hey, the higher the risk, the bigger the dopamine rush.

Highly recommended! This game got so much character, heart and attention to detail. It definitely doesn't pretend to be an 80s arcade machine. It breaks the format, keeps bits and pieces, but elevates the formula. The result is something fresh and special. I've enjoyed its "periphery" as much as the core gameplay.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
^I screwed up the final portion last night. Pretty sure I only needed one more hit, too. Oh well, with all the practice I've gotten it shouldn't take long to get back to that point.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
^I screwed up the final portion last night. Pretty sure I only needed one more hit, too. Oh well, with all the practice I've gotten it shouldn't take long to get back to that point.
Yeah, I've been there.
To be honest, I'm still not sure when or how to get "access" on that last phase. I just showed up with 9 HP, bumped into "it", lost probably 3-4 HP until I finally got in.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
The twitch recording is up. The CAVE dude did really well, I wasn't expecting the dev joining them!
The drill pick and abuse made me very happy, also that the Undertale boss rush cock block (bane of my existence, never beat him, pacifist for the win)

OP
OP
1upsuper

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Serious super endgame spoilers incoming:
Just got through the FINALBOSS part with the bullet hell stage before finally destroying the sphere. I grabbed it several times just to see all the fake little Famicom minigames. I knew this game would go places but I did NOT expect a commentary on bullet hells. Stunning. But now I have to wonder, what would have happened if I had tried to destroy the sphere after 2-3 which leads you to the FINALBOSS title screen? Oh, nevermind. Looks like I answered my question by stage selecting 2-4. Also, my OT subtitle ended up being more relevant than I expected, haha.

Last edited:
OP
OP
1upsuper

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I beat the TLB and have a lot of thoughts I want to post but I still have one more thing to do in the game before I've seen it all.

But as it stands, this is a top three shmup for me. It's one of those games that resonates with me so strongly that it feels like it was made for me. For reference, my favorite shmups are

1. Sexy Parodius
2. Cho Ren Sha
3. ZeroRanger
4. Summer Carniva 92: Recca
5. Battle Garegga/Gradius Gaiden

References I've caught so far:
Radiant Silvergun
Gradius
R-Type
Rayforce
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Zanac
Space Invaders/Missile Command

you really don't want to spoil this one
Undertale

I'm actually putting spoilers in a shmup thread. ZeroRanger is weird and wonderful. Might actually be my GOTY.
Can you help me identify some of these references? Namely
the Rayforce, Nausicaa (was there an Ohm somewhere I didn't see?), Evangelion (still haven't seen it...), and Zanac references? I caught the rest. I also found a Treasure logo and some of the popcorn enemies during the stage 3 boss look right out of Cho Ren Sha.

Last edited:

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Hey I missed this (the OT, I knew about the game)!

I feel bad saying that I'd pay $10 more to have a proper 256 colors palette on screen... but it's true. It's charming as it is but for me visuals are as important as gameplay for shmups and man can't imagine how good it'd look.

I grabbed it on PC but I won't be able to play it until I get a new pc next year :(
What engine is it using? Any plans to come out on more platforms by the devs?

Great OT 1upsuper !

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017

I feel bad saying that I'd pay $10 more to have a proper 256 colors palette on screen... but it's true. It's charming as it is but for me visuals are as important as gameplay for shmups and man can't imagine how good it'd look.

I grabbed it on PC but I won't be able to play it until I get a new pc next year :(

Great OT 1upsuper !
GMS1. The dev mentioned interest in porting to GMS2. That would also allow console ports. The current release is still missing online leader boards, easy and hard difficulty. These things were sort of promised. I'd guess the road map will be: "finish" PC version, then port everything to GMS2 and re-launch on consoles. That's really just my guess though, I can't stress that enough.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
GMS1. The dev mentioned interest in porting to GMS2. That would also allow console ports. The current release is still missing online leader boards, easy and hard difficulty. These things were sort of promised. I'd guess the road map will be: "finish" PC version, then port everything to GMS2 and re-launch on consoles. That's really just my guess though, I can't stress that enough.

Oh, it's GM.
Not familiar with GM2 so I have no idea if the framework allows for easy porting from GM so I have no idea if it'll be worth it but after 10 years since the project started it'd be cool to see it hit as many platforms as possible. Anyway, grabbed it just to support non-twinstick original shmups

OP
OP
1upsuper

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018

Great OT 1upsuper !
Thank you! This and La-Mulana 2 were my first OTs. I'd like to continue making them for under the radar games.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
La~Mulana is one of my favorite gaming experiences ever.
Can't wait to play the sequel, backed the KS iirc. But I'll wait to play it on a console, I loved playing the first game on Wii hooked to a top crt via rgb back then

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
The color palette is part of the story. That said, once you finish the story, it'd be neat to have a full color option.

Got the achievement on my 4th attempt last night, now it's time to score chase while we wait for leaderboards. ZeroRanger is going to be fighting Smash for my GOTY.

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Can you help me identify some of these references? Namely
the Rayforce, Nausicaa (was there an Ohm somewhere I didn't see?), Evangelion (still haven't seen it...), and Zanac references? I caught the rest. I also found a Treasure logo and some of the popcorn enemies during the stage 3 boss look right out of Cho Ren Sha.
Some might just be my interpretations:
Rayforce - the lock-on weapon.

Nausicaa - all over stage 2-2. The second boss, and the big glowing cocoons in the background.

Evangelion - city dropping into the ground in stage 1.

Zanac - the brain roulette mini boss, with its pieces and patterns, remind me of Zanac's bosses.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017

King Onion, all day, every day!

*hakken*

Last edited:

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Can somebody help me? I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I keep getting that big wall of text at the end of 2-3 that ends with "something is missing"
I 1cc'ed the game but I don't think I've ever gotten to that bit of the second loop without continuing. If that's what I'm doing wrong then that's fine, I'll just keep trying, but if it's something random that I'd probably never guess, I'd rather just be told.
I've tried lots of different things and just keep hitting that wall. Maybe I need to 1cc it with the other ship? I haven't tried that yet.

OP
OP
1upsuper

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Can somebody help me? I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I keep getting that big wall of text at the end of 2-3 that ends with "something is missing"
I 1cc'ed the game but I don't think I've ever gotten to that bit of the second loop without continuing. If that's what I'm doing wrong then that's fine, I'll just keep trying, but if it's something random that I'd probably never guess, I'd rather just be told.
I've tried lots of different things and just keep hitting that wall. Maybe I need to 1cc it with the other ship? I haven't tried that yet.
Try fighting the boss in martial combat.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Oh, right, the special 3 button drill or sword weapon? Thanks man, I'll give that a go.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
6puPN9U.jpg

Touch my face.
Thanks for your help, 1upsuper! Took a bit longer than I imagined it would, I kept making a pigs ear of the end bit.
Man, such an amazing game!

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I haven't had much time this month, to post in Era or for playing games.

And while I'm highly interested in 'ZeroRanger', my next shmup this month will be 'Black Bird'.

But I come to this thread to say congratulations to 1upsuper for his amazing work creating this thread.

He has done a great work giving visibility to such a niche genre, and most importantly, summarizing the basics of the genre to newcomers. And by fueling the interest of the community with his passionate view, attracting new players to one of my favorite things in arts, highly hedonistic arcade games about destroying things.

Because of people and threads like this, I love Era.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten to... what felt like the third act, as it were?
The Undertale fight threw me for enough of a loop that I thought I couldn't shoot. And there's where I lost my last continue
lol

maybe it's an odd translation of "a mans romance" or something
No. The gay masterpiece will not be contained.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Okay... I've gotten to the end of the second loop.

I can guess the "Something missing" means having to beat the game from the start? I'm also thinking that going through the game and collecting every weapon might be what that means.

OP
OP
1upsuper

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Okay... I've gotten to the end of the second loop.

I can guess the "Something missing" means having to beat the game from the start? I'm also thinking that going through the game and collecting every weapon might be what that means.
No. I'm a little surprised a lot of people get hung up on this part (spoilers):
engage the 2-3 boss in martial combat.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
I'm a little surprised a lot of people get hung up on this part

I'm more than happy to sit in dunce's corner with my dribbling friend there, but in our defence, it is a little obscure.
I can only assume that it's a nod to other games with arbitrary TLB requirements.

Last edited:

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I managed to get to the finale... oof.

I was definitely not prepared to deal with the very last part, where you only have one shot. I think I can do it now, though. I'm starting from scratch, but I think I've honed my skills.
Also, would've been nice to know about that giant mandala attack not being a giant hitbox like I thought it was, kthx

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I managed to get to the finale... oof.

I was definitely not prepared to deal with the very last part, where you only have one shot. I think I can do it now, though. I'm starting from scratch, but I think I've honed my skills.
Also, would've been nice to know about that giant mandala attack not being a giant hitbox like I thought it was, kthx
In case you don't already know
the number of lives you have for the final section = your remaining continues. So credit feeding through the last bosses will hurt your chances there.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
In case you don't already know
the number of lives you have for the final section = your remaining continues. So credit feeding through the last bosses will hurt your chances there.
Yeah, I heard about that.

Also, another reference to add to the pile; I think the Type-C's charge shot is a bit of a reference to Eschatos and Judgement Silversword, with how it absorbs bullets.

EDIT: I did it... is there more? How deep does this rabbit hole go?

Last edited:

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Didn't have much time playing it recently, but nearly to 2-4 now!
Man, what a game.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Nice! They added more input options, great for stick players:

https://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791461779409/announcements/detail/1712955769595654274

[...]
6dd53892ff2b8245ce821671b29f04a17c5c6961.png

Much anticipated controller update is finally here, with quite a few improvements.

GAMEPAD OVERHAUL:
  • Gamepad button remapping supported
  • Both XInput and DirectInput gamepads supported
  • The typo that killed player 2 gamepad entirely is fixed - sorry about that!
  • Additional & optional settings: Analog/digital movement, slow button, 3rd weapon autofire

MISCELLANEOUS:
  • Some bugs gone (stingy score salamander, floor prison)
  • Some crashes gone (being shy about your team name in co-op)
  • Probably some others too but it's been a while since the last patch

A little bird told us someone wished for a season-appropriate palette, so GREEN+RED has been added! And since it's the worst possible palette regarding colorblindness, we threw in another icy & spicy palette too.

We've also created a new bug megathread in order to more easily catalog any possible bugs/errors that might surface, so feel free to report them there.

This will be our final update for this year (unless something urgent shows up). We're pretty pumped to see what the next year has in store for us - let's make it even better than the last one.

Happy holidays everyone!

-System Erasure
[...]