• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
1upsuper

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I check the store page periodically to see if they've released the full OST yet so I just saw that update today. Very cool. I'll definitely check out the new palettes.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
So I made it to the boss from the trailer
skull
and beat him and what am I playing anymore.

I got the skull lottery sleeping guy, after that I died in semi Space Invaders

wat. I don't know if I have the patience to try again, I'm _really_ bad at this game lol. I feel like I survived this far just by dumb luck.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Finally bought the game during the Steam sale and played it for a couple of hours so far and...

This game is fucking dope. It pulls out a ton of smart stuffs and references to classics in the genre pretty masterfully I'd say (I'm not the biggest shmup buff so YMMV).

Only nitpick so far is how Stage 4 is one loooooong stretch. Wish it was cut in 2 so I could try it again at the middle. Spoiler for what feels like should have been Level 5 (or 6 lol) to me :

Got the boss gauntlet, downed the Salamander and the Space Invader bosses and lost to the Undertale one. Shit got me laughing and me lose a life haha

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
It's one of those games which I would love to purge from my memories ... just to experience it all afresh. You new players, do cherish every moment.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
It's one of those games which I would love to purge from my memories ... just to experience it all afresh. You new players, do cherish every moment.
Oh yeah I get the feeling and I'm far from done with the game.

Just completed the first loop, I'm ready to get WRECKED by the second loop haha. Just looking at the first stage it seems like the devs put a lot of effort into it. Those two continues I have yet to unlock are going to be useful.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see this thread again. I love the game and recently came back after a pause. I need some advice on the last part:

The game is rather clear that you only have one shot at the end, and that you only have your remaining lives (or else you gotta grind up on them again, I suppose). I know this game is meant to be full of surprises - and jesus has it blown me away - but this part worries me as I really don't want to endlessly grind. I found the final boss before rather difficult, and had 4 continues left, but chose not to continue. It's weird I feel this way, which means I might be completely fooled by the narrative, but... is the actual finale super difficult compared to previous bosses?

OP
OP
1upsuper

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Nice to see this thread again. I love the game and recently came back after a pause. I need some advice on the last part:

The game is rather clear that you only have one shot at the end, and that you only have your remaining lives (or else you gotta grind up on them again, I suppose). I know this game is meant to be full of surprises - and jesus has it blown me away - but this part worries me as I really don't want to endlessly grind. I found the final boss before rather difficult, and had 4 continues left, but chose not to continue. It's weird I feel this way, which means I might be completely fooled by the narrative, but... is the actual finale super difficult compared to previous bosses?
I faced a similar dilemma my first time when I reached the choice with 4ish continues and chose not to continue as well. It would turn out that that was definitely the right choice for me. It's not nearly as hard as the final boss (the pace is actually kinda slow IIRC) but it is very stressful due to the stakes, kinda long, and can take a few moments to figure out what exactly you're doing. When I eventually reached it with a full suite of continues, I used all of them as I recall and I almost lost. Obviously it'll depend on you and I'm not actually a great shmup player but if you're going into it blind you definitely want more than 4 continues. Since this was your first time through, you probably feel like you barely beat the final boss and don't want to do it again. But even with just a few more attempts you'll start to really get the hang of the fight and it'll become much easier.

Deleted member 3040

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since this was your first time through, you probably feel like you barely beat the final boss and don't want to do it again. But even with just a few more attempts you'll start to really get the hang of the fight and it'll become much easier.
Thanks for the advice. I actually had to replay the final boss multiple times (and the first time I came close to winning I was like one bar away RIP), so I feel fairly used to it now. It does unfortunately feel a bit... random at times as some attacks can be quite mean. I'll continue and see if I can get the hang of it. While I LOVE the game, I sure suck at some sections (not sure I'd say that some parts feel like random difficulty spikes as it's guaranteed to be due to inexperience, but it certaintly feels like it >_<).

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
yeah so i suffered a major loss. but i'm playing the game still which to me indicates it's bloody good lol.

it's a pity so much of the story is opaque as fuck or only really comes to the fore near the end... it's all very interesting but i can't help but feel it's all just out of reach. Also tbh i think the colour scheme kind of hurts the readability of the game, especially at first glance. But at some point I was trying to dodge orange projectiles on an slightly differently shaded orange background and wondering what the fuck I was even really doing.

Deleted member 3868

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've put around 4 or 5 hours into this game over the past couple of days - it's fucking cool. For a long time I figured Ikaruga would be the one shmup that I would enjoy (and I didn't even play that much of it), but this game has been stuck on my mind since I started playing it. I love that the energy just keeps going up, it's like a super tightly compressed Dragon Ball Z story arc. There are some things that I want to look up regarding game mechanics, bonuses and whatnot, but I think I may be better off just leaving it and trying to discover things for myself. Anyways, stoked to see the next game from these guys.

OP
OP
1upsuper

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I wonder if the devs are still planning on releasing difficulty mode DLC, as well as a full version of the game soundtrack.

OP
OP
1upsuper

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I wonder if the devs are still planning on releasing difficulty mode DLC, as well as a full version of the game soundtrack.
Oh hell yes. There's a new mode in ZeroRanger, plus you can finally buy the soundtrack. Never give up hope.

That makes two out of three...

Last edited:

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
An update? Oh cool, a reason to get back to it and actually beat the final final boss 😅

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
An update? Oh cool, a reason to get back to it and actually beat the final final boss 😅
Well, I went back to the game and finally finished 2-4! Got offered an opportunity for a bet, took it and lost.

I wasn't aware the loss was sooo drastic haha. But it's alright the game is dope and it is motivating me to go back to it :D

The new mode seems cool with it's PlatinumGames-style ranking system, feels like a cool take on the Star Soldier's caravan mode.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Picked this one up on someone's recommendation in the Steam sale thread and I'm so glad I picked it up! Just started 2-2.

So with the drill weapon, the circle around you is based on you hitting things, and will shield your character, is there something else I'm missing about the mechanic?

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Cleared WHITE VANILLA the other day. I really like that mode a lot. One run is less than 20 minutes, so it's great for a quick session here and there. You can play really loose and sloppy, try new things out, etc ... but the small challenges and score grading should keep the most seasoned 0rangers entertained.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
I love it! Definitely what the game was missing. I don't think the normal game really gets going until the second loop so it's great having this little bite sized, more score oriented mode you can jump into.
It's brilliant!

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So the game just did me dirty and deleted my save file, huh? That's some bullshit.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
A friend gifted me this. Suffered a major loss, and I loved it. The game does tell you to get rid of attachment if you want to attain enlightenment. And I mean, that's what games in general used to do anyway.

I loved this game and am baffled it isn't more talked about. It isn't just a "love letter" to the genre, it's genre-defining in how it tells a story with everything it has. Super smart game, got me crying in the end.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I try to pick my evangelising with care. This remains a top pick. Happy you found it. More people should definitely play it.

Also as an update to that shmups forum post below it has gone up to the 12th spot since then. Few things crack the list let alone grow that high that fast.
4VMJbli.png

everybody shut up and play ZeroRanger 💙💚🧡

iFJW7kx.gif

Shmup forums did their annual top 25. Lots more info and breakdowns over there.

That Ketsui climb has been unstoppable. Happy to see ZeroRanger crack the list.

vX1Fhne.png

But if anyone is looking for shmups experimenting with integrating story bits then my absolute top pick would be to give ZeroRanger a look.

Last edited: